Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 09:23   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
We are a group of 10 families in 7 cars traveling to Sharavati JLR camp near Jog falls on 29th July at 5AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
- Matha Sagar at Kibbanahalli Cross after Gubbi
This place would be suitable for a break since it has sufficient parking and a restroom. Useful when going with family. Kyathasandra could be a b'fast point, but KB Cross for a break. After that it would be Bhadravathi / Shimoga.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 10:18   #287
BHPian

Hello All,

Update on Shimoga to BLR via Chitradurga. BLR-Chitradurga is good, so will talk on only Shimoga-Chitradurga.

Shimoga to Chitradurga (110km 2hrs) - Road up-gradation is WIP but manageable. They are widening the road to 1.5 lane each side without divider. Most of the narrow/blind curves are getting straitened. Also, thickness of the road is satisfactory. I would say 50% good road, 25% average, 25% bad. It may take another year to complete the upgrade.

Negatives on Shimoga-Chitradurga

1. No decent place to stop - We went to a sad place called Amogh Int'l. For family, its a strict no. Any suggestion in Chitradurga is welcome

2. Unmarked humps, dangerous behavior by villagers on roads

3. Pathetic road sense by 2 wheelers; Rash driving by private buses
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 11:24   #288
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
1. No decent place to stop - We went to a sad place called Amogh Int'l. For family, its a strict no. Any suggestion in Chitradurga is welcome
Thanks for the update on the Shimoga-Chitradurga section!

At Chitradurga, Aishwarya international has been mentioned on some of the threads here but I haven't been there.
For food do try Sri Lakshmi Bhavan Tiffin Room, on one of the roads leading to the Chitradurga Fort, have been here couple of times and their breakfast/snacks are excellent, especially the Khali Dosas.

Also, heard that Mysore Cafe is decent, but haven't tried that.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 21:11   #289
BHPian

Is it advisable to use the BLR - Chitradurga - Shimoga route?
Or is it better to take the Arsikere route?
Old 10th October 2016, 08:18   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Is it advisable to use the BLR - Chitradurga - Shimoga route?
Or is it better to take the Arsikere route?
Last week I drove the stretch from dabaspet to shimoga via arsikere, as part of my drive from Chennai to kundapur. It is a pain to drive with lot of speed bumps, mad traffic inside the towns, and some broken roads around Tarikere. If you are comfortable with dealing these and driving on old fashioned 2 lane highway, you are good to go.
Also there were few unexpected potholes, where it was difficult to identify if you are not slow enough, due to tree shades.
Old 19th November 2016, 01:54   #291
BHPian

Dear All,

I need to travel to Shivamogga tomorrow morning from Bangalore. Here are my options. Please provide some insights into which is the best option (re: road condition). I would want to avoid single lane journey as much as possible.

Option 1:
BANGALORE > KUNIGAL > CHANNARAYAPATNA > ARSIKERE > KADUR > BIRUR > BHADRAVATHI > SHIVAMOGGA

Option 2:
BANGALORE > TUMKUR > SIRA > HIRIYUR > CHITRADURGA > CHANNAGIRI > SHIVAMOGGA

Google maps shows a lot of "oranges" and "reds" for the second option, meaning there is a lot of slow moving traffic. Is that a norm or only an exception that is today.

Prompt responses are much appreciated.

Last edited by HorsPwr : 19th November 2016 at 01:55.
Old 19th November 2016, 11:01   #292
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Option 1:
BANGALORE > KUNIGAL > CHANNARAYAPATNA > ARSIKERE > KADUR > BIRUR > BHADRAVATHI > SHIVAMOGGA
Start early and go with option 1. You can stop at Swathi Delicacy or Adigas Grand near Yediyur.

4 lane upto CR Patna and then 2 lane to Shimoga, and the CR Patna-Gandasi-Arsikere stretch is an excellent 2 lane road with hardly any traffic. At Arsikere, this will join the NH 206. Turn left at Arsikere and you will be headed towards Shimoga.

With Option 2, you get 4 lane upto Chitradurga, then 2 lane with some work in progress sections (for road widening). Not my favorite.

Option 3 would be to do Bangalore-Tumkur on NH 4 and then Tumkur bypass-Arsikere-et all on NH 206 all the way to Shimoga. But the Tumkur bypass is also bit rough and 2 lane begins from Tumkur itself upto Shimoga via Arsikere.
Old 20th November 2016, 16:40   #293
BHPian

CR Patna is a good option. Roads are gone between Arsikere and Shimoga. Lots of pits on a two way traffic.

Durga is not a bad option as Durga-Shimoga road widening/construction nullifies Arsikere-Shimoga pits. The only catch via Durga is lack of decent places to eat/restroom especially if you have family travelling with you.

Last edited by ampere : 20th November 2016 at 17:30. Reason: Formatted post
Old 21st November 2016, 01:45   #294
BHPian

Thanks for your quick responses. I am back from the trip and it was a pleasant one. There was a slight change in plan. We decided to go through Chikmagalur to visit an ill relative.

We started from Chamarajpet towards Yeshwanthpur. Here is route we took.

Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Shimoga through the ghats.

Great roads. And icing on the cake was NO TOLL CHARGES

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st November 2016 at 09:27. Reason: Corrected typo I'll = ill
Old 21st November 2016, 13:56   #295
BHPian

Hello Folks

I am travelling to Shivamogga from BLR this weekend i.e. Friday thru Sunday. Seeking some advise on the route to follow, as the last posts have just added to the confusion.

1. Via Chitradurga - Channagiri
2. Via CR Pattana - Arsikere

I would start from Bellandur ORR and would be taking the NICE road both ways. Safety, Road condition and 1 pit stop will be my respective priorities.

Travelling with Wifey and Kiddo for some nature adventure.

Thanks in advance.
Rish
Old 21st November 2016, 14:32   #296
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
1. Via Chitradurga - Channagiri
2. Via CR Pattana - Arsikere
Both these routes should be ok with some shortcomings with each of them.
According to @aithalsandy, there are potholes on the Arsikere-Shimoga stretch and he says Chitradurga-Shimoga has road widening work but better. But the route has fewer options for breaks.

I would say start early in any case.

If taking CR Patna route you can stop at Swathi Delicacy or Adigas Grand near Yediyur.

If taking Chitradurga route, you may have to get inside the town for a break - Lakhmi Tiffins and Mysore Cafe are good.
Old 21st November 2016, 16:42   #297
BHPian

I have taken the below routes as part of my Chennai - Kundapur drives

Onward - First week of October
Dabasspete-Tumkur Bypass-Arasiker-Kadur-Bhadravati-Theerthalli
Return - Second week of October
Same as above in the reverse order

Onward - First week of November
Dabasspete-Tumkur Bypass-Arasiker-Kadur-Bhadravati-Theerthalli
Return - Same week
Theerthalli-Bhadravati-Kadur-Arasikere-CR Pattana-Nelamangala

Though Tumkur-Arasikere route is the shorter in terms of distance, it takes longer time to cover it compared to driving via CR Pattana. This is mainly attributed to the traffic(both vehicle and human) you have to deal with, while going through the small towns on the first route and the 4 lane route for most part of it in the latter route.
During my first run I encountered many potholes around Tarikere and some on Tumkur bypass, but they were all patched up during my latest run. For food you can also check at Suruchi Kadur, which is right on highway and has ample parking space.

Be careful of unmarked speed humps throughout the 2 lane highways.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 18:15   #298
BHPian

Hi All

Visited Shimoga, over the last 3 days. Quick update on the route(s).

1. Took the Bangalore - CR Pattna route whilst going to Shivamogga:
- Excellent roads till CR Pattna
- OK roads from CR Pattna to Arsikere
- Tiring to very tiring roads from Arsikere to Birur, was unable to shift gears beyond 2nd/3rd gears
- OK roads from Birur to Shivamogga

2. Took the Channagiri - Chitradurga route on return to Bangalore:
- Average to below Average roads from Shivamogga to Bhadra river bridge
- Patches of roads under construction, very patchy roads at some stretches
- The first 2 points only contribute to 20-25% of roads
- The remaining 70-75% roads are stunning, unexpectedly amazing, freshly tarred and quite broad
- Chitradurga to Bangalore - Fantastic as usual

Recommended route: Via Channagiri - Chitradurga. A few patches and road construction on, but the remaining roads were brilliant.

Last edited by rish27 : 28th November 2016 at 18:17.
rish27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 18:35   #299
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Recommended route: Via Channagiri - Chitradurga. A few patches and road construction on, but the remaining roads were brilliant.
Thanks for the detailed update
The deterioration of Arsikere-Shimoga or parts of it and the completion of part of the Chitradurga-Shimoga route seem to have now made the latter a better choice. Only drawback is lack of good eateries with clean rest rooms between Bangalore-Chitradurga.

Also I'm surprised to hear CR Patna to Arsikere is average, used to be brilliant just few months ago.
Old 28th November 2016, 18:51   #300
BHPian

Quote:
The deterioration of Arsikere-Shimoga or parts of it and the completion of part of the Chitradurga-Shimoga route seem to have now made the latter a better choice. Only drawback is lack of good eateries with clean rest rooms between Bangalore-Chitradurga.
I have traveled CR-Patna -Arsikere - Badravathi By Pass during October 25~30 (feedback in this post). The road is excellent!
Quote:
Also I'm surprised to hear CR Patna to Arsikere is average, used to be brilliant just few months ago.
This is excellent still. You have quiet few humps have come-up. Humps are really badly designed in many places. However if you are maintaining constant speed 80kmph, its not an issue! I am able to maintain 80kmph in this roads (between 10~11:05 on 25.10, 09:45 ~10:45 on 30.10). I think expectation of road surface differs from person to person.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks