Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 16:14   #496
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
The route you showed in the map is way too long. That is not the usual road from Bangalore to Karwar.

The Shimoga-Honnavar route (the one you showed in the map) is scenic too, but much slower than this main route mentioned above. Further, the road conditions between Tarikere to Shimoga are not great at all. I would not recommend this route unless you have some strong reasons.
Thank you for the quick response. The plan was to drive through the hilly, forested western ghats post monsoons and enter Goa through Karwar.

Is there an alternate route to achieve the same objective?

Thanks in advance
Old 28th September 2022, 16:28   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naidusown View Post
The plan was to drive through the hilly, forested western ghats post monsoons and enter Goa through Karwar.

Is there an alternate route to achieve the same objective?
Yes, you can anyways enter Goa through Karwar. That is fine, and there is no need to change that.

But to reach Karwar, I would recommend Hubli-Karwar road as the fastest road. Even that is quite scenic in its own right! This section goes through the forested western ghats too.

The Simoga-Karwar road is much slower in comparison, and moreover, Bangalore-Shimoga is not in a great condition right now. But still, if you are willing to tolerate some bad roads and some slow roads, then you can still take that. But be aware that it is a slower option and keep enough time in hand to tackle the roads.
Old 28th September 2022, 16:57   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you can anyways enter Goa through Karwar. That is fine, and there is no need to change that.

But to reach Karwar, I would recommend Hubli-Karwar road as the fastest road. Even that is quite scenic in its own right! This section goes through the forested western ghats too.

The Simoga-Karwar road is much slower in comparison, and moreover, Bangalore-Shimoga is not in a great condition right now. But still, if you are willing to tolerate some bad roads and some slow roads, then you can still take that. But be aware that it is a slower option and keep enough time in hand to tackle the roads.
Thanks a ton. Hubbali Karwar it is
Old 30th September 2022, 06:04   #499
BHPian

Quote:

The forests are dense green and so full of life! The Hubbali Karwar route turned out to be exactly what the mind had imagined.

There are potholes along the way, but taking the road during day time helped us navigate them without a fuss.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Route driven; 29-09-22.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th September 2022 at 09:44. Reason: Typo. Please proof read before submitting your post. Also, please punctuate as required.Thanks.
naidusown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 08:16   #500

Planning a trip to JLR River Tern at Badhra. Can someone who has travelled recently please help with information on which route is in better condition. I see mixed comments on the Hosadurga route though it’s shorter. I don’t mind a longer drive through Chitradurga if the roads are better.
Thanks in advance.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:57   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
Planning a trip to JLR River Tern at Badhra. Can someone who has travelled recently please help with information on which route is in better condition. I see mixed comments on the Hosadurga route though it’s shorter. I don’t mind a longer drive through Chitradurga if the roads are better.
Thanks in advance.
Bangalore - Tumkur - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - JLR
All good/decent roads. Driving through Chitradurga would be an overkill.
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 20:58   #502
BHPian

Given the near perpetual rains this year, any update on road conditions for a Bangalore-Thirthathalli drive? Wouldn't mind a slightly longer route, as long as the tarmac is good. I am leaning towards BLR->Chitradurga->Shivamogga->Thirthahalli route.

Any recommendations for a good breakfast place 90mins from BLR on this route? (Other than Kyatsandra tatte idli).
amavin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 11:31   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amavin View Post
Given the near perpetual rains this year, any update on road conditions for a Bangalore-Thirthathalli drive? Wouldn't mind a slightly longer route, as long as the tarmac is good. I am leaning towards BLR->Chitradurga->Shivamogga->Thirthahalli route.

Any recommendations for a good breakfast place 90mins from BLR on this route? (Other than Kyatsandra tatte idli).
Bangalore - Tumkur - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Muduba - Thirthahalli

If you can drive till Hiriyur for breakfast try Swami Hotel in Hiriyur (known for benne dosa) - https://goo.gl/maps/Xkxrbcjnveo4L8nD9

Looks like a truck stop and it is. But safe for family. I visit this place with my family. The gas station next door has the restrooms if needed
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:03   #504

Took Bangalore -> Chitradurga -> Channagiri -> Shivamogga route on 14th Jan 2023. 98% of roads are in good condition, road work in progress at small streches at Holalkere town. This route is better compared to Bangalore -> Hiriyur -> Tarikere -> Shivamogga , which I did during September 2022.
hrs.blr89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 18:27   #505
SBR
BHPian

Hi,

What is the best route to be taken from Shimoga to Bangalore.

Ride: Hatchback - Celerio
Occupants: 3 Adults and 2 kids
Day: Sunday - I can start only around 3:00 pm. 29th Jan.
Kindly suggest best route and pit stops on way.

We don't want to hurry and plan to drive in a relaxed manner with precaution.
Old 17th March 2023, 21:42   #506
BHPian

Hi all, we are planning to drive Bangalore to Shimoga next week, we plan to take the Tumkur - Chitradurga - Holalkere - Chennagiri - Shimoga route. How is the drive from Chitradurga to Shimoga? Any recent update on the road condition?

Thanks in advance
Old 26th April 2023, 11:19   #507
BHPian

Update: Shimoga to Chitradurga was recently redone, so excellent roads.
Shimoga to Tarikere (possibly beyond) is being widened to 4 lanes, so it's bumpy and congested. Not recommended.
Old 30th April 2023, 18:27   #508
BHPian

Did they complete the road between Holehonnur to Shivamogga?
Old 10th May 2023, 13:32   #509
BHPian

Driving to Shivamogga this weekend and I see that Gmaps doesn't even show the Hiryur-Tarikere route as an option which I had taken a few years back.

The slightly longer route via Chitradurga is almost 30 mins faster.

Is it fine to take the Chitradurga route or is there any better option?
Old 26th May 2023, 00:35   #510
BHPian

Hi all, we will be traveling to Kadur from Bangalore over the weekend. Google maps has suggested the following options.

Route 1 : Bangalore - Tumkur - Sira - Huliyar - Kadur

Route 2 : Bangalore - Yadiyur - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Kadur

Route 3 : Bangalore - Yadiyur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur
(G Maps suggested this as the Fastest route with no Tolls)

Please may i know as to which Route would be the better option considering the Current Road conditions, Traffic & Time taken.

Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks