Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 14:41   #106
BHPian

Had a visit to my native in Sirsi two weeks back. As good as the BLR-Haveri route is, the joy is taken away as soon as you hit the Haveri-Sirsi route. It has craters as big as the moon and in some places, you need to look for the road. Took 5 hours to Haveri and a painful 2 hours from Haveri to Sirsi.

Did the return via Siddapur > Sagar > Shimoga > Arsikere > Tumkur by-pass > Nelamangala (NICE Road) > JP Nagar (took 6.5 hours)

The Shimoga route is far better in my opinion. Although a two lane highway, roads are beautiful throughout. (BTW My native lies b/w Sirsi and Siddapur, 14 Kms from Sirsi)
Old 13th August 2014, 22:42   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Thanks for all the inputs.
Seems I am better off on NH206. I always preferred NH206 in the past due to the scenic drive, and the road curves. NH4 is kind of boring drive after a while.
3 years back, the traffic was also quite less on NH206.

Maybe, I'll do a NH48 to Channarayapatna to NH206 in one direction, and NH206 to Tumkur in the other.

BTW, does anyone know about the road condition from Jog falls -> SH50 -> Bhatkal ?

Last edited by lancer_rit : 13th August 2014 at 22:45.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:12   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Thanks for all the inputs.
BTW, does anyone know about the road condition from Jog falls -> SH50 -> Bhatkal ?
If you are planning to go to Bhatkal via SH 50 then its a very bad idea. Roads are completely gone and very hard to drive even at 20 KMPH speed. You can go all the way to Honnavar from Jog and then take NH17 via Gunavante --> Manki --> Murudeshwar --> Shirali.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:59   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
... the Haveri-Sirsi route. It has craters as big as the moon and in some places, you need to look for the road.
For roads not taken regularly, ask locally before you take it !

I have done Sirsi-Bangalore last year, but avoided the shorter route thru Haveri and came through Hirekerur. Was not as bad as the route you took.
Old 17th August 2014, 09:34   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Shimoga - Bangalore trip yesterday. Took the Chitradurga route as usual. Both the onward and return journeys took me exactly 4 hrs end to end. Both journeys were without any breaks. From Chitradurga towards Shimoga the roads have held up pretty well after the rains. There are no real bad stretches to speak of. Some potholes do spring up occasionally which can catch you out. Otherwise traffic is very sparse and its quite a comfortable drive.
Old 18th August 2014, 15:39   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
If you are planning to go to Bhatkal via SH 50 then its a very bad idea. Roads are completely gone and very hard to drive even at 20 KMPH speed. You can go all the way to Honnavar from Jog and then take NH17 via Gunavante --> Manki --> Murudeshwar --> Shirali.
Thanks. I avoided SH50 based on your input, and took the regular NH206-NH17 way. NH206 is fabulous currently (except for a somewhat narrow stretch of 0.5-1km in the ghats towards Jog from Honnavar - that is also not too bad, some broken road shoulders though). The most scenic and fun to drive route out of the many roads I took in the current trip (NH4, SH1, SH46, SH28, NH63, SH93, SH142, NH17, NH48) - total trip length : 1360km.

There is a small rough stretch/some shallow potholes between Tarikere and Kadur. I turned off Arsikere and joined NH48 through Channarayapatna.

Most roads were in great shape with only a few bad stretches :
* NH17 - Post Bhatkal to Shiroor
* SH1 - some kms stretch to Haliyal
* Stretches on a couple of village roads
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:15   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Did a Bangalore - Shimoga - Bangalore trip yesterday. Took the Chitradurga route as usual. Both the onward and return journeys took me exactly 4 hrs end to end. Both journeys were without any breaks. From Chitradurga towards Shimoga the roads have held up pretty well after the rains. There are no real bad stretches to speak of. Some potholes do spring up occasionally which can catch you out. Otherwise traffic is very sparse and its quite a comfortable drive.
@Santoshbhat - My drive to sirsi is coming up next weekend. I understand that BLR-SHIMOGA - SAGAR - SIRSI is a doable route. But somehow, i am still inclined towards driving on NH4. Any ideas on how this route Sirsi-Banavasi-Sorab-Hirekerur-Ranebennur is holding up. If the approach from NH4 is not an option, do you think it would save me time to reach Shimoga from BLR via Chitradurga rather than taking the Arasikere route. I do not mind driving an extra 20 kms, as google says, if that saves time for me
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:30   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
@Santoshbhat - My drive to sirsi is coming up next weekend. I understand that BLR-SHIMOGA - SAGAR - SIRSI is a doable route. But somehow, i am still inclined towards driving on NH4. Any ideas on how this route Sirsi-Banavasi-Sorab-Hirekerur-Ranebennur is holding up. If the approach from NH4 is not an option, do you think it would save me time to reach Shimoga from BLR via Chitradurga rather than taking the Arasikere route. I do not mind driving an extra 20 kms, as google says, if that saves time for me
I've never done the Banvasi - Ranebennur stretch, so have no personal experience. One my cousins did that stretch about a year ago and was not very happy. The Haveri - Sirsi stretch is in horrbile state right now and is avoidable. Coming to BLR - SHIMOGGA, I prefer the Chitradurga route. I have traveled to Shimogga atleast 8 times in the past 3 months for a particular project. I've taken the Chitradurga route on 7 occassions and NH 206 once. I prefer the Chitradurga route as it is stress free and faster. The Tumkur bypass is not in great shape and the general vehicular density is quite high on the S.H. unless you plan to drive during odd hours.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:48   #114
BHPian

Quote:
I've never done the Banvasi - Ranebennur stretch, so have no personal experience. One my cousins did that stretch about a year ago and was not very happy. The Haveri - Sirsi stretch is in horrbile state right now and is avoidable. Coming to BLR - SHIMOGGA, I prefer the Chitradurga route. I have traveled to Shimogga atleast 8 times in the past 3 months for a particular project. I've taken the Chitradurga route on 7 occassions and NH 206 once. I prefer the Chitradurga route as it is stress free and faster. The Tumkur bypass is not in great shape and the general vehicular density is quite high on the S.H. unless you plan to drive during odd hours.
Well in that case, i think its quite clear. BLR - CHITRADURGA - SHIMOGA - SAGAR - SIRSI. As per google, this is just 20 kms more than Arsikere route. I wouldnt mind that, considering that BLR to Chitradurga is a superfast drive. Will update once i return
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:55   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well in that case, i think its quite clear. BLR - CHITRADURGA - SHIMOGA - SAGAR - SIRSI. As per google, this is just 20 kms more than Arsikere route. I wouldnt mind that, considering that BLR to Chitradurga is a superfast drive. Will update once i return
Take the Chitradurga bypass. You have to turn left from the NH just after a lake. Follow the road for about 4 kms and then turn right at the dead end to go towards Channagiri and Shimoga.
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:20   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wouldnt mind that, considering that BLR to Chitradurga is a superfast drive. Will update once i return
Quote:
Take the Chitradurga bypass. You have to turn left from the NH just after a lake. Follow the road for about 4 kms and then turn right at the dead end to go towards Channagiri and Shimoga.
This is the Chitradurga bypass route Santosh is referring to : Route Link

Quote:
Generally, my start time for long drives is at 5AM. So i would be well past Tumkur for breakfast at Kamath. And as i know, there isnt any Kamath till about Ranebennur if am not wrong. Do you suggest any joints for breakfast with washroom facilities.

Ranebennur is past Chitradurga. You can break at Kamat at Sira. This is just before the Sira bypass begins. But its on the right side of the road while you drive towards Chitradurga.

Quote:
Yes, Ranebennur is past Chitradurga. I meant i did not recollect seeing any Kamath after Tumkur upto Ranebennur. I think you mean this Kamath right? One in the snapshot

Yes thats the one. But I just hope you reach here, after it has opened in the morning! Because once past Tumkur, you would fly!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd August 2014 at 14:31.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:20   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Generally, my start time for long drives is at 5AM. So i would be well past Tumkur for breakfast at Kamath. And as i know, there isnt any Kamath till about Ranebennur if am not wrong. Do you suggest any joints for breakfast with washroom facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ranebennur is past Chitradurga. You can break at Kamat at Sira. This is just before the Sira bypass begins. But its on the right side of the road while you drive towards Chitradurga.
Yes, Ranebennur is past Chitradurga. I meant i did not recollect seeing any Kamath after Tumkur upto Ranebennur. I think you mean this Kamath right? One in the snapshot
Attached Images

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd August 2014 at 20:01. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:51   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The one before Sira is on the right side of the road. But just to go on the right side you will end up travelling close to 8 kms extra!!

About 20 kms after Tumkur there is a restaurant on the left side which used to be called 'LONG DRIVE'. This was taken over by VRL group and VRL boards have been put up all over. I imagine VRL buses halt here. I suppose they will serve to private vehicles also. I have had breakfast here before it was taken over by VRL and it was a good decent place. You can try this, otherwise Kamath SIRA is your only other option.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:08   #119
BHPian

Quote:
The one before Sira is on the right side of the road. But just to go on the right side you will end up travelling close to 8 kms extra!!

About 20 kms after Tumkur there is a restaurant on the left side which used to be called 'LONG DRIVE'. This was taken over by VRL group and VRL boards have been put up all over. I imagine VRL buses halt here. I suppose they will serve to private vehicles also. I have had breakfast here before it was taken over by VRL and it was a good decent place. You can try this, otherwise Kamath SIRA is your only other option.
And once i am on the right side for Kamath, i need to get back on the left side to continue my journey Thats too many kms i guess! Will try the VRL place you mentioned. By the way, do i have to hit Shimoga town to continue onto Sagar. Is there a Shimoga bypass that can be taken. I have done Shimoga-Sagar-Jog earlier, but then i did stay inside Shimoga.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:25   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And once i am on the right side for Kamath, i need to get back on the left side to continue my journey Thats too many kms i guess! Will try the VRL place you mentioned. By the way, do i have to hit Shimoga town to continue onto Sagar. Is there a Shimoga bypass that can be taken. I have done Shimoga-Sagar-Jog earlier, but then i did stay inside Shimoga.
Actually I meant 8 kms including the drive to get back onto the left side. The service roads and underpass to cut across are also in bad shape to add to the woes.

This road from Chitradurga actually comes after Shimoga bypass. So you are almost into the city. You will cross a railway gate, then take a right to get into Shimoga. From here ask for Sagar road. About 5 to 6 kms kms from this railway gate and you will be on Sagar Road.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd August 2014 at 15:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks