Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:10   #61
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Did Shimoga trip last week. Thought of updating the road conditions
Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Bhadra - Shimoga & return: Tumkur bypass bad, a few meters road before Tarikere is non existent. Rest is all good. Took 4.5 hours
Shimoga - Tirthahhali: Awesome
Tirthahhali - Ripponpet - Sagara - Jog: Awesome
Tirthahhali - Kuppali - Sringeri: Awesome
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Guys please suggest a good veg restaurant in shimoga?

I will be driving from udupi to bangalore and might reach shimoga by noon. Typically I take bypass but I want to enter city this time for lunch.

I did not find anything on the highway except for CCD or kamat

Would love to have simple veg lunch at shimoga or bhadravati this time
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
shubham and meenakshi bhavan , also Shanbhag hotel comes to mind.
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:02   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You also have Royal Orchid and Jewel Rock. They are the good hotels to stay. I assume they may also have good restaurants.
Old 24th November 2013, 13:16   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Raj - Samrat Ashok is good in Shimoga close to Royal Orchid.
Just about 200 m or so from the bypass (on the road opposite KSRTC Bus stand).
Old 29th November 2013, 06:33   #66
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
The one through Arsikere is in good condition. No problem at all. I went through this road coz i had to goto Bhadravati and came back through the Durga route. I somehow prefer the one through Chitradurga. The road from Chitradurga to Shimoga was in real bad shape around 2 years ago. They have relaid it now and its pretty awesome to drive on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I have been there in last couple months and road was good. I go that side often and my personal favorite is to go via Chitradurga instead of via Tiptur. This route is NH4 till Chitradurga which is a 4 lane toll road and has less traffic and after you take left from Chitradurga also, the road is pretty good with very less traffic again. The Tiptur route is used by all the KSRTC buses and trucks and is always crowded. This new route is longer by 30-40 kms but is much faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
From my experience, I would sincerely suggest you to take Chitradurga route. It would take around 2.5 hours to reach Chitradurga from Bangalore and then, Chitradurga-Shimoga is a 1.5 hr journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
The 3rd day (Monday 01/10/12) left at around 1200hrs in the afternoon and as hoped took the Shimoga - Chitradurga - Tumkur - BLR route. This road also was very smooth and beautiful 4/6 lane highway with tolls in the middle. There is some road expansion / construction work happening and hence were required to get down from the main road on to a temporary road for few hundred meters once in a while (this reminded me of the BLR - HYD highway few years ago).
Planning to take the Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli route (have tried the Tumkur-Arsikere route few times so want to try this one). Need some help with few questions:
1.Any landmarks/signage for the turn off to Shimoga near Chitradurga ? Current conditions of Chitradurga-Shimoga route ?

2.With a 5am start, what are the breakfast options ? Thanks to ampere, I know there is a Kamat at Sira and it's on the other side of the highway when going from Bangalore. Any others ? How about Shimoga town itself ? Should I aim for a 4am start ? (Plan to visit Sakrebyle Elephant camp, Gajanur Dam and Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary on the way).

3.How to get on to the Tirthahalli route at Shimoga town ? Signage/landmarks will help.

Last edited by NPV : 29th November 2013 at 06:36.
Old 29th November 2013, 07:55   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1.Any landmarks/signage for the turn off to Shimoga near Chitradurga ? Current conditions of Chitradurga-Shimoga route ?
Sign-gauges to NH13 exits are very well marked. Its the NH-13 that you need to take. The first entry into the town does not say anything. If you keep going on the 4-lane you would intersect the NH13 for which a clear notification is present. This would be a roundabout route, but you cannot miss the exit.

Quote:
3.How to get on to the Tirthahalli route at Shimoga town ? Signage/landmarks will help.
I am not sure if one has to take the Channagiri-Shimoga route off NH13. I think its better to drive via Bhadravathi along the NH13. And in that case you directly get into the Shimoga bypass to Thirthahalli. But if you get into the town, you will need to find the route depending on where you halt.
Old 29th November 2013, 13:17   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I passed by this turnoff a couple of days back. There is a clear signboard mentioning direction to Shimoga just after the Chitradurga bypass. There is a lake to your left at the end of the bypass and immediately after this lake, you have to turn left for Shimoga. From what I see on Gmaps, it is shorter to go through the town, but I guess it will have more traffic.

Quote:
2.With a 5am start, what are the breakfast options ? Thanks to ampere, I know there is a Kamat at Sira and it's on the other side of the highway when going from Bangalore. Any others ? How about Shimoga town itself ? Should I aim for a 4am start ? (Plan to visit Sakrebyle Elephant camp, Gajanur Dam and Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary on the way).
In Shimoga, you can try Meenakshi Bhavan for very good Dosas. This is on the old BH road which goes through the city. You will have to take this road to join Thirthalli road from Channagiri road.

Quote:
Once you near Shimoga, you will reach the old BH (Banglalore-Honnavar) road. Take a right turn and cross the Tunga bridge. Follow the main road (BH Road) till the KSRTC Bus stand and turn left. This is the new BH road (bypass). Continue straight to Thirthalli. If you see the Tunga River to you left, you are on the right road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am not sure if one has to take the Channagiri-Shimoga route off NH13. I think its better to drive via Bhadravathi along the NH13. And in that case you directly get into the Shimoga bypass to Thirthahalli. But if you get into the town, you will need to find the route depending on where you halt.
I remember reading here that the Channagiri-Shimoga route is supposed to be better. The Channagiri-Bhadravati-Shimoga road is bad between Channagiri and Bhadravathi (This I heard from a friend also).
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 17:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

1. Yes. There are clear Signage boards for entry into Chitradurga from NH4. You can easily spot them.

There is also a Chitradurga Bypass route. Although it a longer route, it will bypass the whole city and put you straight onto NH13. Its around 3 to 5 KM longer.

Check the attached Image. I have mentioned the points where you have to take deviation of NH4 and Join NH13. I have also mentioned a breakfast option en route. (Hotel Aishwarya Fort)

Quote:

2. Sira Kamat is way too early for Breakfast for a 5 AM start. You would easily reach Chitradurga around 8 - 815 AM with decent speeds.

I guess this would be the ideal time for breakfast. Aishwarya fort mentioned in the map is a decent place. (Not very good, but manageable)

If you plan to have a late breakfast, you can reach Shimoga in 2 more hours (around 10 AM). There are multiple options in Shimoga for breakfast. Hotel Jewel Rock is a famous place for lodging and breakfast. You can check out some of the other places here :

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotels-g11...ka-Hotels.html

Quote:

3. I do not know about the Thirthalli route. I guess Addy and Ampere have already answered that for you.

Regarding the route from Chitradurga to Shimoga, take the route through : Chitradurga - Holakere - Channagiri - Holehonnur - Shimoga route.

After you pass Channagiri, you will get a circle. If you take a left there, youll head towards Bhadravati on NH13. If you carry on straight, you'll be taking the Holehunnur road.

I take the Holehunnur road always. Its in really good condition and is a little shorter compared to the one through Bhadravati.

Cheers. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-chitradurga-bypass.jpg  

Last edited by Kimified : 29th November 2013 at 17:31.
Kimified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 19:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to take the Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli route (have tried the Tumkur-Arsikere route few times so want to try this one). Need some help with few questions:

Dude, I see that you have already got all the information you could have wanted, and all accurate ones that to To summarize in a nutshell there are enough sings for the left towards Shimoga from Chitradurga. You cannot miss it. Food options are limited in this route and absolutely nothing between Chitradurga and Shimoga. From Channagiri if you follow the straight road you will reach Shimoga without touching Bhadrabati, which is recommended. And in Shimoga just before the bus stop the left takes you towards Sakrebail and Thirathalli, you are better off just asking someone there as its a confusing junction.

Btw, I am also going to Shimoga tomorrow (Saturday) but via Tiptur as we have one work in Tiptur. But you can keep an eye for a red flashy Duster in Shimoga/Sagara/Jog Falls
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 12:21   #71
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
1. Yes. There are clear Signage boards for entry into Chitradurga from NH4. You can easily spot them.

There is also a Chitradurga Bypass route. Although it a longer route, it will bypass the whole city and put you straight onto NH13. Its around 3 to 5 KM longer.

Check the attached Image. I have mentioned the points where you have to take deviation of NH4 and Join NH13. I have also mentioned a breakfast option en route. (Hotel Aishwarya Fort)

2. Sira Kamat is way too early for Breakfast for a 5 AM start. You would easily reach Chitradurga around 8 - 815 AM with decent speeds.

I guess this would be the ideal time for breakfast. Aishwarya fort mentioned in the map is a decent place. (Not very good, but manageable)

If you plan to have a late breakfast, you can reach Shimoga in 2 more hours (around 10 AM). There are multiple options in Shimoga for breakfast. Hotel Jewel Rock is a famous place for lodging and breakfast.

3. I do not know about the Thirthalli route. I guess Addy and Ampere have already answered that for you.

Regarding the route from Chitradurga to Shimoga, take the route through : Chitradurga - Holakere - Channagiri - Holehonnur - Shimoga route.

After you pass Channagiri, you will get a circle. If you take a left there, youll head towards Bhadravati on NH13. If you carry on straight, you'll be taking the Holehunnur road.

I take the Holehunnur road always. Its in really good condition and is a little shorter compared to the one through Bhadravati.
Thanks so much for the treasure trove of information there!
Plan to stop at Aishwarya fort and take the Chitradurga bypass. Alternatively, will proceed to Shimoga and have breakfast there, at least we know what/where now. Will take Holehonnur instead of Bhadravathi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
Dude, I see that you have already got all the information you could have wanted, and all accurate ones that to To summarize in a nutshell there are enough sings for the left towards Shimoga from Chitradurga. You cannot miss it. Food options are limited in this route and absolutely nothing between Chitradurga and Shimoga. From Channagiri if you follow the straight road you will reach Shimoga without touching Bhadrabati, which is recommended. And in Shimoga just before the bus stop the left takes you towards Sakrebail and Thirathalli, you are better off just asking someone there as its a confusing junction.

Btw, I am also going to Shimoga tomorrow (Saturday) but via Tiptur as we have one work in Tiptur. But you can keep an eye for a red flashy Duster in Shimoga/Sagara/Jog Falls
Thanks! Yes, Kimified, Amp, Addy and you have given me all the information I needed.

Am aware of your flashy red Duster, loved your review/ownership experience!

I'm not traveling this weekend, it's a trip in December and wanted to get all the necessary information ahead of time.

Last edited by NPV : 30th November 2013 at 12:22.
Old 16th December 2013, 19:53   #72
BHPian

Hello All, Just wanted to know about the driving conditions on NH 206 during night. I am actually travelling from Madikeri via Hunsur-Hole narsipur -CR patna onto Arsikere and then travelling upto Honnavar on NH 206 n then onto goa.
Doing this stretch for the first time also so wanted to know about night driving experience on the same. A heads up on the same would be great.
Also which would be better place to have a break fast shimoga or Jog Falls along with nice clean toilet facilities since travelling with kids.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkanu View Post
Hello All, Just wanted to know about the driving conditions on NH 206 during night. I am actually travelling from Madikeri via Hunsur-Hole narsipur -CR patna onto Arsikere and then travelling upto Honnavar on NH 206 n then onto goa.
Doing this stretch for the first time also so wanted to know about night driving experience on the same. A heads up on the same would be great.
Also which would be better place to have a break fast shimoga or Jog Falls along with nice clean toilet facilities since travelling with kids.
No safety issues ofcourse.Isolated sections- a little after dark.

Shimoga ofcourse for breakfast.Jewel Rock,Royal Orchid,Kamat,Sanman and a host of others.For clean washrooms I'd suggest to stop at either Jewel Rock or Orchid.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

My friend wants to do this drive next week, the tentative drive-plan could be like this : http://goo.gl/maps/0kgcc

Day 1 : Start early (5ish) - do Belur/Halebidu by noon - proceed to chikmanglur & stay at a home-stay there

OR drive on to Shimoga & stay overnight.

Day 2 : Again start 6ish... (Is there some lion safari here?) Reach Humcha by 8 & Leave for Jog by 11.

Reach Jog by 1 - see the falls & have lunch - proceed to Gokarna - View sunset & stay overnight.

next morning after sunrise, start after b'fast ~ 9

Reach Mangalore by 2p.m. Stay for Day 3&4

Day 5 : Start ~5a.m. and reach Bekal ~7

Leave by 9:30am for B'lore

Then on its a straight drive for 6-7hrs
(He may decide to stop over at Hassan for lunch & at Shravanbelagola while returning.)

I want to know if this is a viable drive-plan? Also any suggested hotels to stay enroute?

Thanks in advance

(EDIT : Apologies for any grammar/posting errors, I'm typing from my phone)

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th December 2013 at 21:31.
Old 18th December 2013, 22:10   #75
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
(Is there some lion safari here?)
The Tyavarekoppa Lion & Tiger Safari, this is ~15-20Km from Shimoga on the highway itself, left side when going towards Sagara/Jog falls.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks