Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 11:06   #46
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Any ideas on the road condition of the climb from palani to Kodai?
It's good. In fact, much better than the Vatlagundu-Kodai road. Just in case you haven't taken that road before, it's narrower and much more winding and one has to drive cautiously. But on the positive side, there will hardly be any traffic.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
It's good. In fact, much better than the Vatlagundu-Kodai road. Just in case you haven't taken that road before, it's narrower and much more winding and one has to drive cautiously. But on the positive side, there will hardly be any traffic.
I have ridden there once in 2008, after that there was news that roads were bad so inquiring. I know the roads in this section are quite narrow and much more winding, so contemplating on which route to take this coming Good Friday when we will be going by car.
Old 28th March 2012, 14:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I have ridden there once in 2008, after that there was news that roads were bad so inquiring. I know the roads in this section are quite narrow and much more winding, so contemplating on which route to take this coming Good Friday when we will be going by car.
I have made three round trips on that road in the last six months, the last one about 3 months back. I can vouch for the quality of the road if one takes the narrow-ness and blind curves into consideration.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:04   #49
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to have vacation in Kodai in couple of weeks. Here is what I have planned the route

Hyderabad to Kodai:

Leave Hyderabad at 4:00 PM. Reach Salem or Dindigul for for couple of hours break. Continue towards Kodai via NH7 or NH45. Need the suggestion here that which route would be best.

In Kodai:

Do we get car parking around Kodai Lake? Please suggest. Or is there any public transport that can be availed. We got accommodation on Observatory Road. Not sure how far is this from the lake. Also, how would be the weekend rush. Is it as bad as Ooty or Munnar?

Kodai --> Palani --> Bangalore --> Hyderabad:

On return trip, want to touch Palani temple. Please let me know timings. Parking. Any thing to aware of. I am planning to reach Palani in the morning time itself. Reach Bangalore. Halt for night in our relatives house. Proceed to Hyderabad.

Your suggestions, inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 29th March 2012, 14:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Hyderabad to Kodai:

Leave Hyderabad at 4:00 PM. Reach Salem or Dindigul for for couple of hours break. Continue towards Kodai via NH7 or NH45. Need the suggestion here that which route would be best.
Assuming 8 hours drive time to Bangalore (including dinner break), you should cross Bangalore by midnight. Not a great idea to arrive at Salem at 4 am in the morning and seek rooms. Maybe it is a better idea to take a break at Shoolagiri 25 kms beyond Hosur which has HP & BPCL petrol pumps with excellent facilities (including good toilets), including restaurants like A2B.

If you want a hotel room, then you can go into Salem town and look for hotels in the 5 Roads Junction which is hardly a km into Salem town. Avoid Dindigul.

Route:
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Vathalagundu-Kodai

Quote:
Kodai --> Palani --> Bangalore --> Hyderabad:

On return trip, want to touch Palani temple. Please let me know timings. Parking. Any thing to aware of. I am planning to reach Palani in the morning time itself. Reach Bangalore. Halt for night in our relatives house. Proceed to Hyderabad.
No problem with parking. Early morning arrival from Kodai (2.5 hour drive at most) will ensure you have darshan before the temple closes at midday.

Route: Kodai-Palani-Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Gangeyam-Perunthurai-Bhavani-Salem-Bangalore
Old 29th March 2012, 14:20   #51
BHPian

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the quick response. With the family, I prefer to stay in the hotel. I believe proceeding to Salem would be the option. That way I can proceed with Kodai in the day light.

On the return trip, would Palani --> Dharapuram --> Perundurai route is good. Or shall I take Plani to Karur route to join back to NH7 early? Please advice

Any idea in Kodai about parking facilities or transport facilities?

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 29th March 2012, 14:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the quick response. With the family, I prefer to stay in the hotel. I believe proceeding to Salem would be the option. That way I can proceed with Kodai in the day light.

On the return trip, would Palani --> Dharapuram --> Perundurai route is good. Or shall I take Plani to Karur route to join back to NH7 early? Please advice

Any idea in Kodai about parking facilities or transport facilities?

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Yes, the Perunthurai route is good.
Excellent road.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:44   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Do we get car parking around Kodai Lake? Please suggest. Or is there any public transport that can be availed. We got accommodation on Observatory Road. Not sure how far is this from the lake. Also, how would be the weekend rush. Is it as bad as Ooty or Munnar?
Parking will not be an issue at al in Kodaikanal. Parking is allowed all along the periphery of the lake. The Observatory is about 3-4 kms from the lake. Taxis charge exorbitant amount. So, if you can you are better off with your own car. And you won't be driving long distances within the town, so that's okay.

This being holiday season for schools, I expect heavy crowd esp. during Saturdays and Sundays.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Parking will not be an issue at al in Kodaikanal. Parking is allowed all along the periphery of the lake. The Observatory is about 3-4 kms from the lake. Taxis charge exorbitant amount. So, if you can you are better off with your own car. And you won't be driving long distances within the town, so that's okay.

This being holiday season for schools, I expect heavy crowd esp. during Saturdays and Sundays.
True, parking can be tricky inside the main town center owing to the one ways. However you will not have a problem parking near the lake.

The road after you take a deviation from Dindigul is not so good. It is a single road with many bad patches while ascending towards Kodai.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
The road after you take a deviation from Dindigul is not so good. It is a single road with many bad patches while ascending towards Kodai.
Any alternative route that you would suggest pls.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 29th March 2012, 16:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Any alternative route that you would suggest pls.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
I had researched a lot before my last trip to Kodai. This is the fastest route Raghu, you will encounter bad roads for a short distance, say 30 / 40kms.
Old 29th March 2012, 19:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route: Kodai-Palani-Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Gangeyam-Perunthurai-Bhavani-Salem-Bangalore
Why Palani-Udumalaipet-Dharapuram when Palani-Dharapuram is an excellent 35-km stretch that can be covered in about 20-25 minutes? Is the direct road under repair/construction now and so better avoided?
Old 30th March 2012, 09:24   #58
BHPian

I was also researching on the routes from Palani to Salem. I was thinking Palani --> Dharapuram --> Perendurai --> Sankeri --> Salem Bypass was the best option. Any suggestions pls.

Dharapuram has couple of good vegetarian restaurants. Hope we reach there by lunch time.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 30th March 2012, 11:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I was also researching on the routes from Palani to Salem. I was thinking Palani --> Dharapuram --> Perendurai --> Sankeri --> Salem Bypass was the best option. Any suggestions pls.
That's the best option you have for Palani-Salem. Only point to note is, with the newly laid 4 lane NH7, you won't be passing through Sankeri. So, do not follow signs for Sankeri. Once you merge NH7 at Perundurai, just look for signs to Salem/Bangalore. The same is the case for Dharmapuri when you are going from Salem to Bangalore.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Dharapuram has couple of good vegetarian restaurants. Hope we reach there by lunch time.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
If you are starting from Palani (or even going to Palani), it is just 35kms (30 mins) to/from Dharapuram. So, it would be better to have your lunch at Palani only. One place I can recommend is Vel's court; had been always our choice as they have good parking facility inside their compound too (we stay there as well !)

On another note, even NH-209 (some far-away extension of Kanakapura Road if you are a Bangalorean) is a good alternative over Perundurai route. This is because, on Perundurai route, you cross Dharapuram, Kangeyam, Chennimalai, Perundurai towns and will be on 2L road for about 100kms that takes about 2hours; even there is a small ghat section near Chennimalai where there is a small chance of getting stuck behind a heavy truck/lorry. On the other hand, you can take NH-209 upto Oddanchatram(30 kms or 30 minutes) and then take a left after bus-stand(that comes on your right).This will lead you to Vedasandur(25 kms or 20 minutes) where you can join NH-7 from where Karur would be 50kms(or just 30mins) away. You will have 2L roads of about 55kms only and you can cover this in about 45 minutes. To add on to + factors, Karur->Salem is about 90 kms that can be covered in about 1 hour !
On my circular drive Bangalore->Salem->Karur->Palani->Perundurai->Salem->Bangalore, I found Salem->Palani took about 2hrs15mins and Palani->Salem took about 3hrs. It is not just the road conditions but somehow feel that there are some other hidden factors that make Karur->Salem drive more comfortable than Perundurai->Salem drive.

Last edited by ajithbr : 30th March 2012 at 22:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks