Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 23:48   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

If you are planning to start by 4PM from Hyderabad, it would be good to take a break at Hosur for the night.
Sleep well and start by around 5 the next day. You also get your sleep.

Last edited by ampere : 30th March 2012 at 23:50.
Old 16th August 2012, 13:20   #62
MCR
BHPian

I am planning a drive to Kodaikanal. I plan to start from Bangalore at 4.00AM. The plan is to reach Kodaikanal by lunch time. The route I plan to take is as follows;

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - vattalkundu - Kodaikanal.

On the return leg I would like to take;

Kodaikanal - Palani - Dharapuram - Kangayam - Perundurai - Salem - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore.

The plan is to leave Kodaikanal by noon and be back in Bangalore 7.00PM in the evening.

Please let me know the road conditions for both the routes. Also please let me know the places I can get good Vegeterian snacks on the way.
Old 16th August 2012, 13:37   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Please let me know the road conditions for both the routes. Also please let me know the places I can get good Vegeterian snacks on the way.
Both routes are good. The one you have chosen onward is excellent and it takes only about 5-6 hours (max) to reach Dindigul. And since you would be in Salem before 8 AM, you can plan on having your breakfast in Salem and lunch at Kodaikanal.

I have made several trip to Kodai and most times we take the Palani route. The route is good too, but it's not a 4-lane road until you hit Perundurai. But depending on time of the day, you can keep up a decent pace. If you are starting from Kodai before lunch, I would recommend the place called Fun & foods (or sounding similar) in Palani, where you get good (not excellent) snack/veg food. You will find this place just before Palani on your left. Since you are a vegetarian, I recommend you stop at Salem again for Snack. There is a very good place for non-veg lovers in Perundurai. But obviously you don't need/care. And be extra careful and easy while driving from Kodai to Palani on the hills.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 21:56   #64
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - vattalkundu - Kodaikanal.
You may want to check on the road conditions between Dindgul and Vattalakundu since there is road widening work in progress. It has been discussed in other recent threads as well, please check. One option to avoid this stretch would be to take Kodai Road to Vattalakundu instead of the first right turnoff that is marked for Vattalakundu/Kodaikanal. On another thread @ampere has provided a map link as well for the Kodai route.

Quote:
Kodaikanal - Palani - Dharapuram - Kangayam - Perundurai - Salem - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore.
Also please let me know the places I can get good Vegeterian snacks on the way.
Since you plan to return via Palani, you can stop at New Tiruppur Lodge there that has a very good pure veg. restaurant.
Also, here is a list of many eateries we saw on the way between Bangalore and Madurai, this may help you as well for your onward journey - here

Last edited by NPV : 16th August 2012 at 22:06.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 09:00   #65
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I have made several trip to Kodai and most times we take the Palani route. The route is good too, but it's not a 4-lane road until you hit Perundurai. But depending on time of the day, you can keep up a decent pace.And be extra careful and easy while driving from Kodai to Palani on the hills.
Thanks for the suggestions prakash_ajp. The reason to go via Palani would be to just try a different route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You may want to check on the road conditions between Dindgul and Vattalakundu since there is road widening work in progress. It has been discussed in other recent threads as well, please check. One option to avoid this stretch would be to take Kodai Road to Vattalakundu instead of the first right turnoff that is marked for Vattalakundu/Kodaikanal. On another thread @ampere has provided a map link as well for the Kodai route.
I think the image shows the road your are refering to.

The route you have suggested is ;

Kodai Road - Ammanpatty - Nilakottai - Batlagundu.

Hope this road is good / better with less traffic
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries-kodairoadvatlakundu.jpg  

Old 17th August 2012, 09:04   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Kodai Road - Ammanpatty - Nilakottai - Batlagundu.

Hope this road is good / better with less traffic
Most people who goto Kodai by train take this route. (Bus/cab from station to Kodai)
I have been through once. That was some 3-4 years back though. But it was very decent and low on traffic.
Dont know how it is today.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 09:55   #67
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Most people who goto Kodai by train take this route. (Bus/cab from station to Kodai)
I have been through once. That was some 3-4 years back though. But it was very decent and low on traffic.
Dont know how it is today.
Just came back from the trip to Kodaikanal. The route from Bangalore till Kodaikanal is excellent.
Kodai Road - Ammanpatty - Nilakottai - Batlagundu route is also excellent and congestion free. Overall, had a very nice and trouble free drive. The toll amounted to around INR 950/- (to and fro) including the NICE road usage fee. But I am not complaining since the road was in excellent shape.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:00   #68
BHPian

I also just came back from Kodaikanal on September 02, 2012. The route that i had taken was Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Kodai. The road uptill dindigul was great but the stretch from dindigul till the Kodai Ghat road is good in patches, since some road widening work is on. I took the same route for my return trip.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:11   #69
BHPian

Bangalore to Nagore

I am planning to make a trip from Bangalore to Nagore to visit the shrine, sometime in november. Google maps shows the route through Krishnagiri, Salem, Attur, Chidambaram and Mayiladuthurai. How is the road condition in this route. I could not get any similar previous trip report in the forum.

Members, please pour in your suggestions.

Fordday.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:42   #70
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Nagore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Members, please pour in your suggestions.
You should be able to get all details here. (Bangalore-Velankanni)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ankanni-5.html

Best option is to go via Trichy/Tanjore.

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagore.

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2012 at 15:44.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagore.
The straightforward Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy itself is good, please refer the Bangalore-Trichy thread.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:30   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The straightforward Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy itself is good, please refer the Bangalore-Trichy thread.
The reason I mentioned Thuraiyur was not just road condition alone, but more due to truck traffic. During day times, I read its too high.
Old 16th September 2012, 22:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from the trip to Kodaikanal. The route from Bangalore till Kodaikanal is excellent.
Kodai Road - Ammanpatty - Nilakottai - Batlagundu route is also excellent and congestion free. Overall, had a very nice and trouble free drive. The toll amounted to around INR 950/- (to and fro) including the NICE road usage fee. But I am not complaining since the road was in excellent shape.
Hi,

I am planning to go to Kodaikanal from Bangalore this week. I will have a stop over in Salem. Since you just came back from Kodai, would like to know if you took the Palani-Dharapuram-Kangayam-Perundurai route. I have heard this route is scenic. So I would like to know the road condition as I plan to take this route onward. On return, I will take the NH7 route. As I have two small kids travelling with me, security and safety would be priority.

Thanks in advance for the suggestion.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hi,

I am planning to go to Kodaikanal from Bangalore this week. I will have a stop over in Salem. Since you just came back from Kodai, would like to know if you took the Palani-Dharapuram-Kangayam-Perundurai route. I have heard this route is scenic. So I would like to know the road condition as I plan to take this route onward. On return, I will take the NH7 route. As I have two small kids travelling with me, security and safety would be priority.

Thanks in advance for the suggestion.
Hi, i had taken the following route to kodai and back, Hosur- Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Kodai.

As mentioned in my earlier post, the road uptill Dindigul is great but the road from Dindigul till the Kodai Ghat road was good in patches, due to road widening work.

The return route via Palani is scenic but apparently steep ghat section hence can be avoided I feel.
Old 26th September 2012, 13:55   #75

going on a trip from Bangalore - Kodai - Velankanni....Pretty much know the route to Kodai....But need help and advise on route from Kodai to Velankanni.

I know the usual route through Kodai - Dindigul - Trichy - Velankanni

But need advise on Kodai - Madurai - Pudukkottai - pattukotai - Velankanni through ECR...

Has anyone travelled along this route? Is this good to drive etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks