Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 19:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Just got back from my trip. Here is the update on this route.

Took the 4 lane NH till Channarayapatna, right turn towards Tarikere. Tarikere-->Lakkavalli-->Umblibail--> Muttinkoppa. Roads are awesome. Fresh tarmac, since it was a weekday there was absolutely no traffic.
Yes, we too took this route on our way back from Tirthahalli. Good roads throughout. This route saves atl east half hour as it is fairly straight road and bye pass Shivamogga. The number of road humps have increased between Channarayapatna and Arsikere. Fortunately well signaged.

There is a big depression on the road before the railway level crossing while going towards Arsikere. It is a bit deceiving. Need to be careful.

If you are going to Tirthahalli for the first time, go via Shivamogga at least in one direction. You will get a chance to see Gajanur dam and lovely backwaters.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 14:30   #77
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning to go to Thirthalli during mid August with family and will be spending some time roaming around. Plan is to start on 12th August and come back on 15th Aug. Going through the current log I could see there are multiple ways to reach to Thirthalli and so I am bit confused now. Should I by pass Shimoga to reach Thirthalli directly or go through Shimoga to visit Gajanur dam on the way. So I feel this should be the good way. What do u suggest ?

Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Tirthahalli

Also what would be the best route and considering the food option and scenery along the drive ?

Thanks for your response.
Old 26th July 2017, 17:58   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Also what would be the best route and considering the food option and scenery along the drive ?
Last weekend I had drove down from near to Thirthahalli to Bangalore. I would consider the selection between different routes as based on personal choice since there is no much difference in actual time.

The locals suggested me to take the following route since my start point was bit South of Thirthahalli, from Kolavara resort -

Option 1: Koppa - NR Pura - Bhadravathi - Kadur - Arsikere - Channarayapatana bye-pass - Nelamangala.

Other suggestions were -

Option 2: Thirthahalli - Shivamoga - Channagiri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - I usually avoid traveling through Tumkur due to mad traffic on Tumkur - Nelamangla route especially on a long weekend. However, compared to last time I took Channagiri route couple of years back, someone who traveled recently mentioned that the roads are in good shape now. Plus, you can visit Pushkarani with a small deviation if you are interested. Location

Add to that, Thirthahalli - Shivamoga section is a beauty.

Option 3: Thirthahalli - Shivamoga - Bhadravathi - Kadur - Arsikere - Channarayapatana bye-pass - Nelamangala. This was what our homestay owner was suggesting, saying as the fastest route to Bangalore.

Option 4: Which I tool last weekend from Kolavara resort : Koppa - Jayapura - Balehole - Banakal - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Channarayapatana bye-pass - Nelamangala.

It took me around 06:30 hours of drive with a 10 mins break for filling diesel at Hassan bye-pass. The reason I opted for this route was since I am familiar with roads bast Banakal and since I wanted to avoid Chitradurga - Tumkur route on a weekend.

Out of all the roads mentioned, my selection would be option 3 since I somehow have a liking to Kadur - Arsikere route since its a wide 2 lane road.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 22:34   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Out of all the roads mentioned, my selection would be option 3 since I somehow have a liking to Kadur - Arsikere route since its a wide 2 lane road.
Thanks a lot mpksuhas for your quick response. Even I think option 3 will work out for me considering the good food option that I can get on this route and I can visit few places on my way from Shimoga to Thirthalli. Also I heard that Shimoga to Thirthalli route is a delight to drive.

Also I must admit that my trip to Thirthalli is inspired from your travelogue which I happen to read sometime back while exploring places to visit in monsoon. The narration and pictures in your travelogue seal the deal for my trip to this place. Thanks
SNayak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:46   #80
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Plus, you can visit Pushkarani with a small deviation if you are interested.
Thanks for sharing this
When you say small deviation, do you mean from the Chitradurga-Hollalakere road (old NH13) or from the NH 48 ? From gmaps, looks like a turn off to Sirigere is there about 9-10Km from the Muruga Mutt junction on the NH 48 (Bangalore-Pune road).

Are there any signages to locate the turn off from Hollalakere road if that one is better ?

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2017 at 14:49.
Old 27th August 2017, 21:41   #81
BHPian

Planning to drive from Sagara to Sringeri. The route suggested by GMaps is through Thirthahalli. How is the condition from Anandapura to Thirthahalli on SH1?

Also, which is the suggested route from Thirthahalli to Sringeri?

TIA.
Old 27th August 2017, 21:54   #82
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Also, which is the suggested route from Thirthahalli to Sringeri?
You can do a nice day trip starting after breakfast and returning to Tirthahalli after viewing sunset by taking a circular route:
Tirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri
Visit Kigga and Sirimane falls and return via Agumbe and en route catch sunset at Kundadri hill and return to Tirthahalli.
We did exactly this few years ago and it was an enjoyable experience.
Refer this older post
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 22:10   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can do a nice day trip starting after breakfast and returning to Tirthahalli after viewing sunset by taking a circular route:
Tirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri
Visit Kigga and Sirimane falls and return via Agumbe and en route catch sunset at Kundadri hill and return to Tirthahalli.
We did exactly this few years ago and it was an enjoyable experience.
Refer this older post
Thanks NPV. Unfortunately, I don't have time till sunset. Have some work at Sagara. Need to start Sagara the next morning, travel to Sringeri, Sirimane and need to return to Bengaluru by night. Plan is to take Sringeri - Balehonnur - Aldur - Chikkamagaluru - Hassan - Nelamangala for the return.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 17:26   #84
BHPian

I took this route to go to Sringeri from Sagara last week:
https://goo.gl/maps/FGXF9TnMWdy

Overall, this route gets thumbs up from me with nothing major to worry about.

Sagara - Anandapura: Great 2 lane national highway. Probably the best 2 lane NH in KA?

Anandapura - Ripponpete - Thirthahalli - Kalmane: Good state highway - Strictly 2 lane, but road is mostly in good condition.

Kalmane - Mavinakatte: Overall decent-good road which is very narrow initially (1.2 lanes), but after a few km, it becomes a ~1.5-1.7 lane road. Has very little traffic and goes through the forest. Has some potholes for a stretch of a few km in the middle (can't recall where exactly).

Mavinakatte - Begar: Very good 2 lane road.

Begar - Sringeri - Good 2 lane road.

Like I said, this route gets a thumbs up from my side. My Linea with low GC did not scrape anywhere even once with 3 people and decent luggage.

Last edited by theredliner : 9th September 2017 at 17:27.
Old 11th September 2017, 00:24   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Sagara - Anandapura: Great 2 lane national highway. Probably the best 2 lane NH in KA?
Quite many have spoken about this section of the old 206 being a belter.

Quote:
Anandapura - Ripponpete - Thirthahalli - Kalmane: Good state highway - Strictly 2 lane, but road is mostly in good condition.
This section of SH1 is know to be good but never utilized well. Its the other section Thirthalli-Agumbe which is used heavily.

Thirthalli-Sringer is a part of the famed NH13 which runs all the way to Solapur from Mangalore. Most of the ghat sections are very good on this NH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks