Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 16:58   #106
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Oops....I did go to Sulthan Bathery and Wayanad which took up some time because of those hairpins. How could one avoid Wayanad stretch? Does one need to go to Gudalur and then to Nilambur?

I took this route: Blore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Sulthan Bathery-Wayanad-Kottakal-NH17 bypass to Ponnani-Edappal-Chavakkad-Guruvayur. Left at 0430 hours and reached Guruvayoor at 2000 hours. Stopped over at Kadampuzha and Ponnani for temple visit. So basically took 10 hours for Blore to Kerala.
Yes.
Blore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-<any alternative route>-Guruvayur

1) What do you mean by "Sulthan Bathery" and "Wayanad" separately? Is the second one referring to Hair-pin bends?
2) Which route you took in the Wayanad-Kottakal stretch? In binary, it is either through Calicut or not :-)
3) Which temple did you stop in Ponnani?
Old 20th January 2011, 09:04   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops....I did go to Sulthan Bathery and Wayanad which took up some time because of those hairpins. How could one avoid Wayanad stretch? Does one need to go to Gudalur and then to Nilambur?

I took this route: Blore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Sulthan Bathery-Wayanad-Kottakal-NH17 bypass to Ponnani-Edappal-Chavakkad-Guruvayur. Left at 0430 hours and reached Guruvayoor at 2000 hours. Stopped over at Kadampuzha and Ponnani for temple visit. So basically took 10 hours for Blore to Kerala.
Yes - as Ajith mentioned in the previous post, you need to to go via Gudalur, and about 10 kms after Gudalur on the Gudalur-Calicut road you need to take a left turn towards Nilambur (at a place called Nadugani). There's a ghat section between Nadugani and Nilambur, but not many hairpins there, and the road is in much better shape. Would have saved you quite some distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
2) Which route you took in the Wayanad-Kottakal stretch? In binary, it is either through Calicut or not :-)
Since he mentioned in the earlier message that he didn't go via Calicut, I'd assume he might have taken a left turn from Thamarassery and gone via Mukkam - Areecode to Manjeri (where you join the Nilambur-Kottakkal road). That road was also reportedly in very good condition when I heard last.

The other option would have been to go till very near Calicut (Malapparambu) and take the Calicut byepass to Ramanattukara. Not sure whether that would count as a binary 0 or 1 for your question

Last edited by kala : 20th January 2011 at 09:06.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:22   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Since he mentioned in the earlier message that he didn't go via Calicut, I'd assume he might have taken a left turn from Thamarassery and gone via Mukkam - Areecode to Manjeri (where you join the Nilambur-Kottakkal road). That road was also reportedly in very good condition when I heard last.

The other option would have been to go till very near Calicut (Malapparambu) and take the Calicut byepass to Ramanattukara. Not sure whether that would count as a binary 0 or 1 for your question
Left turn anywhere beyond Thamarassery should be considered 1 (through Calicut), I feel :-)
Old 21st January 2011, 09:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

Today's news reports about the tomorrow's inauguration of Mayannur bridge which connects Palakkad and Trichur districts. Is it by any chance, can ease the travel between Palakkad/Perinthalmanna and Trichur?
Old 21st January 2011, 11:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Today's news reports about the tomorrow's inauguration of Mayannur bridge which connects Palakkad and Trichur districts. Is it by any chance, can ease the travel between Palakkad/Perinthalmanna and Trichur?
This doesnt come on NH47. It is a diversion on the Palakkad-Kulappully SH, just before Ottappalam. So this will in no way affect the Palakkad-Trichur or Perintalmanna-Trichur distances
Old 21st January 2011, 12:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Like MM said,nothing to do with connecting Palakkad & Thrissur town.Its an easier way if you are going towards Chelakara/Pazhyannur etc.

The bridge took 11years to build!!!
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:20   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Yes.
Blore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-<any alternative route>-Guruvayur

1) What do you mean by "Sulthan Bathery" and "Wayanad" separately? Is the second one referring to Hair-pin bends?
3) Which temple did you stop in Ponnani?
Answers to your queries:

1) Sulthan Bathery is just after the Bandipur Reserve and Wayanad follows after it. The hairpins are after Wayanad.

2) What kala said is right. I did take a left to bypass Calicut town to reach Kotakkal (its called Medical college route locally).

3) Stopped at Sri Thrikavu temple near Ponani-Guruvayoor bypass. Nice temple that. Took the NH17. Nice road even though it attracts a small toll( Rs 5/-). Leads all the way to Guruvayoor via Chavakkad.

Will make sure I avoid this Wayanad route in future and go via Gudalur towards Nilambur and then enter Kerala state. Thanks for the useful tips especially kala.
Old 22nd January 2011, 16:57   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Answers to your queries:

3) Stopped at Sri Thrikavu temple near Ponani-Guruvayoor bypass. Nice temple that. Took the NH17. Nice road even though it attracts a small toll( Rs 5/-). Leads all the way to Guruvayoor via Chavakkad.
Where did you pay the toll on NH-17? I drove from Chavakkad to Ponnani (turned right & headed towards Edappal) and i did not see any toll plaza / anybody collecting toll..
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:44   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which toll is this? AFAIK, the first toll along NH17 anywhere in this route is at Chettuva - between Chavakkad and Kodungallur. You wouldn't be going to this place if you drive from Ponnani to Guruvayur.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Answers to your queries:

1) Sulthan Bathery is just after the Bandipur Reserve and Wayanad follows after it. The hairpins are after Wayanad.
Sultan Bathery is in Wayanad District. There is no town called Wayanad. You may be referring to Kalpetta/Chundale/Vyttiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Which toll is this? AFAIK, the first toll along NH17 anywhere in this route is at Chettuva - between Chavakkad and Kodungallur. You wouldn't be going to this place if you drive from Ponnani to Guruvayur.
Srinath may be referring to the toll on the calicut bypass on the bridge near kadavu Resort (over R.Chaliyar)
Old 24th January 2011, 00:15   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Sultan Bathery is in Wayanad District. There is no town called Wayanad. You may be referring to Kalpetta/Chundale/Vyttiri

Srinath may be referring to the toll on the calicut bypass on the bridge near kadavu Resort (over R.Chaliyar)
Sorry for the confusion created about Sulthan Bathery and Wayanad. Mowgli you are right about Kalpetta/Vyttiri.

Yes. Thats the exact same place where I paid toll. Right before the bridge.
Old 24th January 2011, 12:28   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I drove on the above stretch while driving from Munnar to GVR on 30th Dec and wasn't stopped anywhere for any toll. Saw a toll booth though, which appeared to be abandoned and there was nobody around. ( can't remember exactly which place i saw this toll booth)

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 24th January 2011 at 12:29.
Old 24th January 2011, 18:49   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Answers to your queries:

2) What kala said is right. I did take a left to bypass Calicut town to reach Kotakkal (its called Medical college route locally).

Will make sure I avoid this Wayanad route in future and go via Gudalur towards Nilambur and then enter Kerala state. Thanks for the useful tips especially kala.
1) Hope you understood why I asked about why you separately specified "Wayanad" after reading other replies

2) As I drive from Bathery to Calicut, apart from Thamarassery->Mukkam->Areekkode->Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal route mentioned by others, there are 3 left turns and bye-passes that I choose from depending on my mood and need:
a) Karanthur->Medical College Campus->Medical college Road Signal(Left)->NH-17 byepass->Ramanattukara
b) Karanthur->Malapparamba(Left for NH-17 byepass)->Medical college Road Signal->Ramanattukara
c) Karanthur->Malapparamba->Enanhippalam(Left)->Calicut City ByePass->Meenchanda->Ramanattukara

I believe no-one prefers bye-pass option (c) these days unless it is late in the night and you want to have some food or fuel. I guess you took option (b) but believe that most people refer option (a) as Medical college route. Ask any NIT Calicut guy about routes to city and see which one he mentions as Medical college route based on the bus routes

3) Sorry to repeat but can you specify the exact location of temple? Before/After and how far with reference to Ponnani?

Yes. There are 2 tolls between Calicut and Kodungallur on NH-17. One is near Kadavu resorts on the NH-17 byepass if you opt that route. The other one which cannot be avoided is near Chettuva just a few kms south of Chavakkad. If you are headed to Ernakulam, I guess there is a toll near Varapuzha just before Edappally (anyone please confirm this).

As others mentioned, Nilambur route is a very good option to enter Kerala for many reasons. Enjoy this route next time but as usual, check this forum for the latest route conditions before you actually get onto the roads !!!
Old 24th January 2011, 18:57   #119
BHPian

[quote=mallumowgli;2218441]There is no town called Wayanad. You may be referring to Kalpetta/Chundale/Vyttiri
quote]

Yes. You dont find a bus with a destination board "Wayanad" at all !!!
I think "Idukki" is the only other district in Kerala which has similar nature, right?

AFAIK, when people refer "Wayanad" for a particular spot in the district, many of them either refer to Kalpetta (being the district HQ and hosting the Civil Station & Collectorate) or Wayanad Ghats.

Interesting trivia:
1) Is "Wayanad" the only district in Kerala which borders 2 states if we discount Mahe/Pondy?
2) Are "Wayanad" and "Idukki" the only 2 districts in Kerala which dont have a railway line?

Last edited by ajithbr : 24th January 2011 at 19:03.
Old 25th January 2011, 00:58   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
There is no town called Wayanad. You may be referring to Kalpetta/Chundale/Vyttiri
Quote:
Yes. You dont find a bus with a destination board "Wayanad" at all !!!
I think "Idukki" is the only other district in Kerala which has similar nature, right?
If your reference is to there being a town with the same name as the district, it's not right - there is a place named Idukki in Idukki district (unlike Wayanad)

Quote:
Interesting trivia:
1) Is "Wayanad" the only district in Kerala which borders 2 states if we discount Mahe/Pondy?
2) Are "Wayanad" and "Idukki" the only 2 districts in Kerala which dont have a railway line?
To the best of my knowledge, the answer to both questions is a YES.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks