Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 20:05   #121
cLJ
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I drove on the above stretch while driving from Munnar to GVR on 30th Dec and wasn't stopped anywhere for any toll. Saw a toll booth though, which appeared to be abandoned and there was nobody around. ( can't remember exactly which place i saw this toll booth)
From Munnar to GVR you don't have to travel by NH-17. The one you must have seen IS the one on NH-47 at Amballur (on the way to TCR) which is being constructed as part of NH-47 widening.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to drive to Guruvayur on July 1st and would like to take the Nilambur route. From various posts in the forum, I came across 3 options

1. Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Perumbilavu-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor

2. Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Edappal-Perumbilavu-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur

3. BLR-Mys-Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kottakkal-Edappal-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Guruvayur

Which is the best route? I am from Kerala and hence have no issues with Kerala traffic.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I am planning to drive to Guruvayur on July 1st and would like to take the Nilambur route. From various posts in the forum, I came across 3 options

1. Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Perumbilavu-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor

2. Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Edappal-Perumbilavu-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur

3. BLR-Mys-Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kottakkal-Edappal-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Guruvayur

Which is the best route? I am from Kerala and hence have no issues with Kerala traffic.
The Salem route would be the fastest and stress free as well.

BLR-Salem: 2.5 to 3hours

Salem-CBE:3 hours

CBE-GVR:3.5 to 4 hours(CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-GVR)Road is good.

If you must take the Nilambur route,then IMHO go via Perinthalmana.

Nilambur-Vadapuram junction Left Turn(go up)-Wandoor-Pandikkad-Pattikad-Perinthalmana-Pattambi-Perumpilavu-Kunnamkulam-GVR.

Expect extra time on BLR-MYS section and time getting out of Mysore.Mysore-Nanjangud is ok to good conditions.Nanjagud-Gudalur is good ghat roads.traffic congestion at Gudalur town,Gudalur-Nadugani is good,Nadugani-Vazhikadavu ghat roads are good.Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-high traffic and narrow road.Nilambur-Perinthalmana good to ok roads.Perinthalmana-Pattambi road is good but high traffic.Plenty of places to eat that wouldnt be a problem.

Nilambur-GVR should take you around 5hrs/250kms

Nilambur, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 14:19   #124
Team-BHP Support

What is the status of the route via Melattoor?

When I took this route, it was fantastic. Beautiful tarmac all the way (Dec 2009) till Nilambur from Perinthalmanna.
Great twisties and very low on traffic.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:35   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Nilambur-GVR should take you around 5hrs/250kms

Nilambur->Guruvayur is only about 100 kms and can be done in 2 to 2.5 hours.

Looks like the above route map is skewed by wrong choice of Pattikad. The one on NH-47 near Thrissur is chosen instead of the one near Malappuram.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Nilambur->Guruvayur is only about 100 kms and can be done in 2 to 2.5 hours.

Looks like the above route map is skewed by wrong choice of Pattikad. The one on NH-47 near Thrissur is chosen instead of the one near Malappuram.
Yes,sorry for that.I just noticed it myself.Time wise it took us 3hours.we left nilambur at 130 and reached gvr east nada at 430pm.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:55   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes,sorry for that.I just noticed it myself.Time wise it took us 3hours.we left nilambur at 130 and reached gvr east nada at 430pm.
Looks better

The Pandikkad-Pattikkad route is ruled out for next 2/3 years till the (Japan) pipeline project is over. Also, I dont prefer this route even earlier because of heavy traffic. Kalikavu->Karuvarakundu->Melattur route on the other hand used to have good surface and less traffic with better scenery coupled with interesting twisties too.

If the above route is not in good condition, believe it or not, I found that the fastest and comfortable way to Guruvayur from Nilambur would be Manjeri-Malappuram-Kottakkal route even though it is about 20 kms longer.

BTW, here is my timings from Jan drive:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Guruvayur : Route Queries-gvr.gif  

Last edited by ajithbr : 24th June 2011 at 15:56.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:24   #128
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Guruvayur on July 15th.

Route taken - Bangalore, Mysore, Gundlupet, Bandipur, Muthumalai, Gudalur, Nadukani, Vazhikkadavu, Nilambur, Pandikkad, Perinthalmanna, Pattambi, Perumbilavu, Kunnamkulam, Guruvayur.

Total Distance - 418 KMs ( from Brookefield, Kundalahalli) to Hotel Elite, Guruvayur. We missed the way in Pattambi and travelled 10 KMs in the wrong direction and had to come back. So the trip meter was showing 438 KMs.

Total Time - Started at 5:08 AM and reached by 4:25 PM,

Road Condition.

1. Bangalore - Muthumalai - Good
2. Muthumalai - Gudalur - OK. One big crater is formed inside Muthumalai.
3. Gudalur - Nilambur - Good. Ghat section has started deteriorating
4. Nilambur- Perinthalmanna - Average. Surface not good.
5. Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Bad to worse. Some sections will become really bad in no time
6. Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - OK.
7. Kunnamkulam -Guruvayur - Good.

In general, rain is showing its impact on Kerala roads. We reached perinthalmanna at 1:15 PM and stopped there for lunch. Resumed the journery at 2:00 PM but could reach Guruvayur only at 4:25 PM.This is due to bad roads, missing the way, a petrol break and 2 level crosses.

Drove from Guruvayur to Mysore on July 17th.
Route Taken - Guruvauyr, Kunnamkulam, Perumpilavu, Edappal, Kottakkal, Malappuram, Manjeri, Nilambur, Vazhikadavu, Gudalur, Mudhumalai, Bandipur, Gundlupet, Mysore
This route is 20 Kms longer than the Perinthalmanna route but the road condition is much better. No bad stretches.
Started from Guruvayur at 10:10 AM and reached Mysore by 6:15 PM with total break time of around 2 hours.

Many thanks for all your inputs.
Old 20th July 2011, 07:20   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Route Taken - Guruvauyr, Kunnamkulam, Perumpilavu, Edappal, Kottakkal, Malappuram, Manjeri, Nilambur, Vazhikadavu, Gudalur, Mudhumalai, Bandipur, Gundlupet, Mysore
This route is 20 Kms longer than the Perinthalmanna route but the road condition is much better. No bad stretches.
Between Manjeri and Nilambur, did you take the route via Wandoor or Edvanna?
If you went via Edvanna, how is that surface?

Another thing I note is that between Nilambur and Perinthalmanna, most folks prefer the route via Wandoor over Kalikavu/Melatoor. This route though being twisty has less traffic. Any reasons for that?
Old 20th July 2011, 09:44   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Between Manjeri and Nilambur, did you take the route via Wandoor or Edvanna?
If you went via Edvanna, how is that surface?

Another thing I note is that between Nilambur and Perinthalmanna, most folks prefer the route via Wandoor over Kalikavu/Melatoor. This route though being twisty has less traffic. Any reasons for that?
Between Manjeri and Nilambur, I don't think I took the route via Wandoor but I don't remember the name Edavanna.

I also was keen to take the route via Melattoor but my friend discouraged me saying that it is longer. Also, I did not find any sign boards saying Melattoor.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between Manjeri and Nilambur, I don't think I took the route via Wandoor but I don't remember the name Edavanna.

I also was keen to take the route via Melattoor but my friend discouraged me saying that it is longer. Also, I did not find any sign boards saying Melattoor.
If you took the route marked as "Manjeri" or "Calicut" from Nilambur, you'd have most certainly taken the Edavanna route. It is the shortest between Nilambur and Manjeri.

I travelled that way a couple of months ago. The road surface is decent, but the road isn't too wide, is fairly twisty and the traffic is as good or bad as you get in most Kerala roads - so I think the best one could average on that stretch would be around 40 kmph.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:33   #132
BHPian

Quote:

@A and all -> You won't find signboards saying Melattoor and probably that is the reason people are not using this road so commonly. But, if you are going from Bangalore/Mysore/Ooty/Gudalur, after you cross Vazhikkadavu->Edakkara->Chungathara, just 1 kms before Nilambur town, you get a petrol pump on your left side and just before that, there is a big board that indicates (Straight->Nilambur and Left->Perumpilavu). On reverse direction, if you are coming from Nilambur, there is only a small board that says Right->Kalikavu (again, no Melattoor)

Just out of curiosity (and reading multiple enquiries by @A in this forum) and for a short-break, I filled petrol here (last saturday on my Calicut/Guruvayur trip from Bangalore) and made a local enquiry about this Kalikavu->Karuvarakundu->Melattur->PerinthalManna route. ALL SAYS IT IS FINE AND BETTER THAN REGULAR ROUTE

BTW, if none does it intentionally, you wont touch Wandoor coming from Guruvayur/Kottakkal/Malappuram/Manjeri side as you will either auto-cruise or get-lead-by-signage board (to Nilambur) through Edavanna route.

Quote:
Drove from Bangalore to Guruvayur on July 15th.

Route taken - Bangalore, Mysore, Gundlupet, Bandipur, Muthumalai, Gudalur, Nadukani, Vazhikkadavu, Nilambur, Pandikkad, Perinthalmanna, Pattambi, Perumbilavu, Kunnamkulam, Guruvayur.

Total Distance - 418 KMs ( from Brookefield, Kundalahalli) to Hotel Elite, Guruvayur. We missed the way in Pattambi and travelled 10 KMs in the wrong direction and had to come back. So the trip meter was showing 438 KMs.

Total Time - Started at 5:08 AM and reached by 4:25 PM,

Road Condition.

1. Bangalore - Muthumalai - Good
2. Muthumalai - Gudalur - OK. One big crater is formed inside Muthumalai.
3. Gudalur - Nilambur - Good. Ghat section has started deteriorating
4. Nilambur- Perinthalmanna - Average. Surface not good.
5. Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Bad to worse. Some sections will become really bad in no time
6. Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - OK.
7. Kunnamkulam -Guruvayur - Good.

In general, rain is showing its impact on Kerala roads. We reached perinthalmanna at 1:15 PM and stopped there for lunch. Resumed the journery at 2:00 PM but could reach Guruvayur only at 4:25 PM.This is due to bad roads, missing the way, a petrol break and 2 level crosses.

Started from Guruvayur at 10:10 AM and reached Mysore by 6:15 PM with total break time of around 2 hours.

Many thanks for all your inputs.
Where did you stop in Perinthalmanna for lunch? Please give details of this place. I usually stop at KTDC@Nilambur or KR@Perumpilavu. RanjitP suggested Nakshatra@Koppam and so would like to add one more to the list of hotels on this route :-)

Also, mention where you stopped for food on your return journey too with details of the place.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd July 2011 at 22:08.
Old 20th July 2011, 23:00   #133
Team-BHP Support

That settles it Ajit! When I went last, that section of the road was fantastic. The way it was built and with no trucks, I thought it was built to last.

And in-spite of that most folks took the other route. That made me curious as to why no-one choose this option. The road being twisty is definitely not a reason.

In fact while driving from GVR, after Perinhalmanna, at every crossing I kept asking for road to Melatoor. But after some distance I could spot boards.

Correct me if I am wrong. While coming from Melatoor, I remember crossing the railway line at the Nilambur station.
Later looking at the maps, it seems to me that one does not need to cross the line for Wandoor/Edvanna.
(In fact I think one wont even hit the Nilambur railway station).

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2011 at 23:10.
Old 20th July 2011, 23:40   #134
BHPian

1. check the following link on google map
Silver Jubilee Park Rd to Guruvayoor, Kerala, India - Google Maps

495 kms

i had been on this route few months back
FOR - excellent roads entire
excellent scenic views
very less traffic

Against - slightly longer distance

Mysore Rd to Guruvayoor, Kerala, India - Google Maps

462 kms

FOR : excellent roads throughout
Fantastic drive

Against - Slightly longer distance

498kms

excellent road
good drive

Narrow roads & heavy traffic after palakad

393 kms

For : shortest distance

Against : Bad roads , many parts under construction
Narrow roads
Nothing much for drive once the road is bad
Old 21st July 2011, 09:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Where did you stop in Perinthalmanna for lunch? Please give details of this place. I usually stop at KTDC@Nilambur or KR@Perumpilavu. RanjitP suggested Nakshatra@Koppam and so would like to add one more to the list of hotels on this route :-)

Also, mention where you stopped for food on your return journey too with details of the place.
I don't remember the name of the place where I stopped for lunch in Perinthalmanna. Sorry. The place is on the right hand side of the road (when going from Bangalore) and almost near the end of the town. It has A/C restaurant and decent food. We took 2 chicken Biriyanis( Rs 95/- each). Service was decent and there is car parking place. Just opposite to this hotel, there is a taxi/jeep stand (on elevated road). The name of the hotel starts with 'S'.

While coming back, we stopped for lunch at 'Vazhiyoram' run by DTPC. Decent place. It is before Nilambur while coming from Guruvayur and you have to take a right turn into a narrow lane and go about 200 mts inside. There are signboards indicating this. I had been to this place in 2009 May.
We had meals (Rs 50 each) and 1 fish fry (Rs 200/-). The place is good with clean toilets. Service was not as good as it was in 2009.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks