Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 21:13   #286
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs. Just a question, while using google maps, how do you decide via points, like for example via Somwarpet or Hunsur or something like that?

As far as I know, it allows you to add stops which can actually mean that you may even go off the fastest route to accommodate that stop.
Old 29th May 2018, 21:54   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks for all your inputs. Just a question, while using google maps, how do you decide via points, like for example via Somwarpet or Hunsur or something like that?
First plot the route on the browser of your PC such that you select via Points that are points which are not inside a town but either on its bypass or a point soon after the town ends and towards the next POI. Keep adding more and more such Via points till your final destination.

Now, share this route link onto your phone and keep that handy. When you embark on a drive, just navigate through this route.

Quote:
As far as I know, it allows you to add stops which can actually mean that you may even go off the fastest route to accommodate that stop.
If you opt for Via points like the way I mentioned above, It will not actually take you through the desired route, all the times, unless there appears to be some bottleneck that Google gets dynamically and starts calculating an alternate route to reach that Via point for which it will still suggest you by asking an acknowledgement for 'There is a faster route available....'.

Also, when via points are closer to each other or if there are not many such alternatives routes that connect these 2 via points, you are always going to get navigated through the most standard route anyway.

Take the case of my drive last month to Gondia where maps dynamically calculated a faster route after Nagpur and that helped me save at least 30 minutes. However, this was through very narrow roads and villages that I didn't like then.

On return I added a via point so that maps navigated me exactly the way I wanted to.

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-maps.jpg

So, It is always important to have these via points in certain cases to be able to not get lost into any other non-desired route and these are the points which are basically the ones you need to pin point and select on the map as explained above.

Now for your route, since you will do via Somwarpet - Ramnathapura option from Madikeri, Here would be the via Points:

1. Soon after Somwarpet but towards Konanur : Point

2. Soon after Ramnathapura and towards Arkalgud: Point

3. After Arkalgud and towards Holenarasipura: Point

4. After Holenarasipura and towards Channarayapatna: Point

5. After Channarayapatna and right after bypass pointing towards Bangalore : Point

Join these via Points, put a start and destination and you have your desired route without any deviations. Copy paste this route to be available on phone and navigate!
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 19:17   #288
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
First plot the route on the browser of your PC such that you select via Points that are points which are not inside a town but either on its bypass or a point soon after the town ends and towards the next POI. Keep adding more and more such Via points till your final destination.

!

Thanks Paragsachania and all other folks who provided inputs on the routes. So like I mentioned earlier, while going to Coorg from Bangalore, I opted for the Nice Road to Mysore Road to Mysore and finally Madikeri. Since I left early at around 5:45 in the morning and with my 5 year old son still sleeping when I left, I felt that that Mysore Road would offer ample places for any breaks / Breakfast etc. I stopped in the restaurant Kalyani, recommended by fellow tbhpian NPV and it was quite good.
But this route is so full of traffic till Mysore and even for sometime beyond Mysore, even at 6-8 in the morning!

While returning from Madikeri, I opted for the route via Holenarsipur, Channarayapatna and finally Nelamangala. This is a far better option than the Mysore Road. The State highways from Madikeri to Channarayapatna are single lane, but almost no traffic. The only downside is the frequent speed breakers, but that is still better than the Mysore Road which is full of too many vehicles.

And from Channarayapatna the 4 lane NH is quite good, although not in the league of NH to Chennai or Coimbatore, since this stretch seems to have too many intersections and median breaks, meaning you got to be careful a bit all the time.

I covered both the travels with just one stop in between, excluding which it took me a total of 4.5 hours in travel time each trip.

Last edited by motorworks : 1st June 2018 at 19:19.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:01   #289
Senior - BHPian

We are planning a ride from Bangalore to Suntikoppa this weekend, but the news of heavy rain in the past few weeks has put a dampener to our trip. Some of you who reside in Coorg could enlighten me if this route is OK. CR Patna, Holenarsipur, Arakalagud, Ramnathpura, Kushalnagar, Suntikoppa
Old 10th August 2018, 17:24   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
We are planning a ride from Bangalore to Suntikoppa this weekend, but the news of heavy rain in the past few weeks has put a dampener to our trip. Some of you who reside in Coorg could enlighten me if this route is OK. CR Patna, Holenarsipur, Arakalagud, Ramnathpura, Kushalnagar, Suntikoppa
Same here guys. We were planning to be in Madikeri on Sunday. I am however now worried if any parts of the road are flooded. Can someone please throw light on the status ?
Old 29th August 2018, 14:31   #291
BANNED

Hi,

Any update on road condition from Bangalore to madikeri ?
Old 30th November 2018, 14:23   #292
BHPian

I plan to travel to Virajpet from Bangalore soon.

In that case, if I have to go to Virajpet via Kunigal-Holenarasipur, which route is better from a surface and traffic perspective -- the Ramanathapura-Kushalnagar-Siddapura route or the Somwarpet-Suntikoppa-Chettalli-Siddapura route?

Last edited by nileshch : 30th November 2018 at 14:26. Reason: Added map links
Old 19th December 2018, 19:24   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I plan to travel to Virajpet from Bangalore soon.
So I travelled to Virajpet through the regular route, via Hunsur-Gonikoppal. The road is good throughout except for very minor patches. Time was 6 hours to Virajpet starting at 5:30 am and reaching back Whitefield in 6 hours with a 5 am start from Virajpet.
Old 25th March 2019, 16:15   #294
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Wanted to know the best route to Coorg from Mysore. Planning to hire Zoom/Revv from Mysore. Plan is to drive Mysore-Coorg on 7th April and return back from Coorg on afternoon/evening of 8th April. Will be doing the trip with family, wanted to avoid bad roads/ghats. Please advise.

Thanks,
Srinivas. R
Old 25th March 2019, 16:37   #295
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Wanted to know the best route to Coorg from Mysore. Planning to hire Zoom/Revv from Mysore.
Please advise.
Coorg is a district with many cities/towns. For simplicity, I'm assuming your destination is Madikeri.
If so, route is straightforward - Mysore-Kushalnagar-Madikeri, should be standard routing even in Google maps.
Old 25th March 2019, 16:58   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Coorg is a district with many cities/towns. For simplicity, I'm assuming your destination is Madikeri.
If so, route is straightforward - Mysore-Kushalnagar-Madikeri, should be standard routing even in Google maps.

Thanks NPV for the details, any idea on the road conditions for above route ? Also, need recommendations for stay in Mysore and Madikeri. Hope 1.5 days is enough to cover important places in Madikeri.

Thanks,
Srinivas. R
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:20   #297
BHPian

Hi All,

I have plans to drive from Bangalore to Virajpet and back, in a couple of weeks' time. My previous drives to Coorg have always been via the Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar route.

I wish to try a different route this time. I could gather from the previous pages that the "Bangalore - Nelamangala - Yadiyur - Channarayapattana - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud - Ramanathapura" route seems to be a popular option among BHPians. So planning to take this route both ways.

However, I'd appreciate if someone could provide an update on the latest state of this route and if there is anything I should watch out for!

Onward:
I plan to start at around 6 AM from Bangalore on a Saturday and take the above mentioned route. I have marked the way points on Google Maps (Link). After Kushalnagar I intend to stop by at Madikeri for lunch before heading towards Virajpet.

These are my planned stops on the way to Virajpet:
1. Breakfast: Radha Krishna Udupi Pure Veg Restaurant (Location)
2: Lunch: Coorg Cuisine, Madikeri (Location)

Return:
I'll start from Virajpet at 12.30-1pm on a Sunday and head towards Kushalnagar via Siddapura. After that the same route back to Bangalore which I took during the onward journey. I have marked the way point Google Maps (Link).

These are my planned stops on the way back to Bangalore:
1. Lunch: Coorg Cuisine Restaurant, Rasulpura (Location)
2. Refuel: Akshatha Service Station Indian Oil Petrol Pump (Location)
3. Tea: Swathi Delicacy (Location)

I'd also appreciate any feedback on the food and refueling stops which I have selected for the entire trip! Suggestions for alternatives are welcome too.

I hope I have plotted to correct routes:

Onward
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-bangalorecoorg.png

Return
Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-coorgbangalore.png
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:53   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi All,

I wish to try a different route this time. I could gather from the previous pages that the "Bangalore - Nelamangala - Yadiyur - Channarayapattana - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud - Ramanathapura" route seems to be a popular option among BHPians. So planning to take this route both ways.

However, I'd appreciate if someone could provide an update on the latest state of this route and if there is anything I should watch out for!
I just did a Coorg trip last weekend and took the same route what you mentioned. The road conditions are very good throughout and nothing to worry. For food and fuel breaks, better complete it before you take left towards C.R Patna and exit NH.

After C.R. Patna till Madikeri, at times Google may dynamically ask you to take side roads/parallel roads to save about 5 minutes and prompting for faster route. Don't go by that to save just 5 minutes and stick to the main roads only.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:33   #299
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I WANT TO BRING THIS TO EVERYONE’s NOTICE WHO TRAVEL FROM KODAGU TO BANGALORE ESPECIALLY VIA CHANNARAYAPATNA (AGARA ROUTE).

Following message was received from a close relative.

I was travelling with my family to Bengaluru from Kodagu via Arkalgud – Holenarasipura – Agra - Channarayapatna on 14th April 2019. Started from Kodagu around 10pm, when we reached Agra around 11:15pm, all of a sudden we saw an Innova, Scorpio, 3 bikes and 10 to 15 people standing in the middle of the road and creating a accident like situation by blocking the road and pretending to seek help with high beams on. We did not stop as we had 2 ladies in our vehicle and we managed to proceed. Just after 2 kms another Swift was parked and 3 guys standing in middle of the road holding an empty bottle and trying to create a situation like their fuel was empty, we again didn't stop. By then all of us in the car were little worried and dint know what was happening and what to expect next.

Been travelling in the same road for the past 6 yrs and nothing like this was experienced.
After these 2 incidents we drove another 2 kms and we had a santro car parked right in middle of the road and 3 guys blocking the road and we dint have way to escape as the driver just kept moving the vehicle back and forth. We had no choice but to stop our vehicle. On stopping, we started screaming , all of them started walking to our car trying to tell us that we had hit a vehicle and on a run, hence they have stopped to settle the issue. Luckily one villager came by a bullet who was well built, started to hear to our conversation and checking our car for any damages. These goons dint realize that the villager was coming from the opposite side as they were busy trying to stop us, when they saw him immediately changed the topic and informed him they are checking for damages and we will not harm anyone and let them go.

They were about 25 members and most of them drunk and all are terrible looking. As we reached the Agra junction, which heads to Channarayapatna , noticed election check post and 2 cops were sitting , immediately informed them and they were least bothered about it. when we raised our voice and explained the situation one of them lifted his phone and trying to reach the police station.

After hitting the Mangalore – Bangalore highway we all were discussing about this and then realized there was a bike who followed us from the railway gate just after Revanna’s house (Holenarsipura) till we took right to Agra, I am sure they would have given our details as they were busy peeping into our car and giving us way and again overtaking.

KINDLY share this as much as possible as lot of them use this road to Kodagu due to heavy traffic via Mysore road. Thank god all of us are safe and the bullet borne villager saved our life, not every time luck favours. Please stick to highways especially during night to avoid any such horrific situation.

Posted as received

Last edited by Samurai : 17th April 2019 at 20:25. Reason: born->borne
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:14   #300

Rekindling this old thread.

I will have to drive from Bangalore (whitefield) to Gonikoppal, this coming week.
Wanted to know on which will be the best route to take to reach Gonikoppal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks