Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 00:17   #1021
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Recently i had gone on a weekend trip with family to Ratnagiri. Leaving Panaji @1030 hrs, i managed to touch Ganpatiphule just before 1430 hrs. The only reason why i managed this with moderate speeds is coz of the new four lane road from Banda (Goa Border) to almost upto Kudal. The surface is well tarred and is very smooth and with hardly any traffic it is very easy to maintain speeds over 100 kmph. The best part is that you can avoid the narrow roads and mad traffic and also the Insuli ghat section.

Bad news for all non GA registered vehicles heading to Goa. Toll charges applicable from 15th April onwards. Four wheelers will have a toll of Rs. 250.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries-p1030994.jpg  

a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 12:35   #1022
BHPian

You being a localite i request you to let me know of the best place (read town/city) to stay in south goa for a budget minded person. Appreciate the help.
Old 6th April 2013, 16:57   #1023
BHPian

I'm a bit surprised people did not know much about, or should i say the Chorla ghat route was not popular before.

I've driven it myself & it's one amazingly beautiful route to take when crossing over from Karnataka to Goa. It's well worth a trip anytime of the year (except maybe in very heavy rainfall it's avoidable) but the sheer lush greenery and beautiful expanse of nature on both sides, the elevation and the sounds/fragrances is just amazing!
Old 8th April 2013, 16:46   #1024
BHPian

Did Pune to Candolim via Amboli last Thu/Fri and nothing new to add except the below:
20 kms after Amboli, you can take a left turn which by passes Sawantwadi completely. That's a 20 kms stretch and I took it to experiment. Suggest not to take it and going via Sawantwadi. Many places the road was broken or no road and it was very bad. Luckily my Scorpio could handle it but will not take this route again.
Old 9th April 2013, 08:47   #1025
BHPian

Btw, does anyone have a recent update on the Belgaum - Goa via Chorla Ghats route? Last year various patches were broken for a short stretch but there was active work being done on laying the road down with tar. I assume by now the bad rocky stretch should be complete?

My OHC had a royal ride on that road last year! lol
Old 9th April 2013, 08:48   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Btw, does anyone have a recent update on the Belgaum - Goa via Chorla Ghats route? Last year various patches were broken for a short stretch but there was active work being done on laying the road down with tar. I assume by now the bad rocky stretch should be complete?

My OHC had a royal ride on that road last year! lol
Road is now in good condition & one of the most preferred routes nowadays.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 17:23   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I'm a bit surprised people did not know much about, or should i say the Chorla ghat route was not popular before.

I've driven it myself & it's one amazingly beautiful route to take when crossing over from Karnataka to Goa. It's well worth a trip anytime of the year (except maybe in very heavy rainfall it's avoidable) but the sheer lush greenery and beautiful expanse of nature on both sides, the elevation and the sounds/fragrances is just amazing!
The Chorla ghat road was done up only a few months ago. Previously that road was not in good condition. That's why it was previously only used by tempos shuttling vegetables to Mapusa Market from Belgaum.
Old 11th April 2013, 11:26   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
The Chorla ghat road was done up only a few months ago. Previously that road was not in good condition. That's why it was previously only used by tempos shuttling vegetables to Mapusa Market from Belgaum.
Thanks guys! I should be headed to Goa in a few days and i intend to take this route again!

Last year on the few short patches of rough road .. the ride was crazy! my OHC's suspension and shock absorbers got the workout of it's life!! Those patches were just crazy! Yet some people in Safari's/Scorpios and even a BMW were doing insane speeds over the rocky rubble and mud strewn stretches.

By the time i entered Goa, my car had a lovely overcoat of red mud
Old 16th April 2013, 20:56   #1029
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Am presently in Goa and will be driving back to Bombay in a week or so. I am hearing a lot about this new Chorla ghat road. Could someone please tell me how I connect to this road from Mapuca? Do I have to go via Bicholim? Also, how twisty are these Chorla ghats? The reason I am asking is because my wife gets car sick easily on the "twisties". Does one have to pass through Belgaum and how would this impact on time taken to do the whole drive? Is it worth using this road as compared to Sawantwadi - Amboli - Ajra - Gadhinglaj? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards,

SS
Old 17th April 2013, 08:11   #1030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,
Am presently in Goa and will be driving back to Bombay in a week or so. I am hearing a lot about this new Chorla ghat road. Could someone please tell me how I connect to this road from Mapuca?
I presume you mean Mapusa.

Quote:
Do I have to go via Bicholim? Also, how twisty are these Chorla ghats? The reason I am asking is because my wife gets car sick easily on the "twisties". Does one have to pass through Belgaum and how would this impact on time taken to do the whole drive? Is it worth using this road as compared to Sawantwadi - Amboli - Ajra - Gadhinglaj? Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Yes its the road via Bicholim. It is a twisty, but since the road condition is good it should be fine I guess. But cant comment on motion sickness part though! And yes you go via Belgaum. I think you hit 4-lane from this SH before the city and hence bypassing Belgaum should not be a big problem. Lets confirm with others too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 10:36   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I am hearing a lot about this new Chorla ghat road. Could someone please tell me how I connect to this road from Mapuca? Do I have to go via Bicholim? Also, how twisty are these Chorla ghats?Does one have to pass through Belgaum and how would this impact on time taken to do the whole drive? Is it worth using this road as compared to Sawantwadi - Amboli - Ajra - Gadhinglaj?
The Chorla route is a dream run now.This is the direction from Sanquelim to Piranwadi Cross at Belgaum.From Piranwadi cross its a short run to reach the NH4.

The road runs past the Wildernest Resort as well.The route is a scenic beauty.From Goa towards NH4 you would encounter twisties irrespective of the route(amboli,gaganbawda,phonda,chorla,anmod).Apple juice helps control motion sickness to a large extent (a reason why people travelling to Himachal,Uttarakhand etc stock up on apple juice).No impact on drive times as such.Its good to try a new and scenic route.

http://goo.gl/maps/nRCtU

From Piranwadi Cross to NH4

http://goo.gl/maps/mAZNt
Old 17th April 2013, 11:06   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Chorla route is a dream run now.This is the direction from Sanquelim to Piranwadi Cross at Belgaum.From Piranwadi cross its a short run to reach the NH4.

The road runs past the Wildernest Resort as well.The route is a scenic beauty.From Goa towards NH4 you would encounter twisties irrespective of the route(amboli,gaganbawda,phonda,chorla,anmod).Apple juice helps control motion sickness to a large extent (a reason why people travelling to Himachal,Uttarakhand etc stock up on apple juice).No impact on drive times as such.Its good to try a new and scenic route.

http://goo.gl/maps/nRCtU

From Piranwadi Cross to NH4

http://goo.gl/maps/mAZNt
Hi Ranjit,

Thanks very much for the info and moreso for the links to the Google maps which will come in handy. I will definitely be checking out this route as I am getting rather bored with the Amboli road having used it numerous times over the last couple of years.
Thanks for the suggestion about apple juice. Never heard that one before.
Just one last question. How long will it take from Piranwadi to the main Belgaum Kolhapur highway? Am I likely to get stuck in city traffic?

Kind Regards,
SS

SS
Old 17th April 2013, 13:50   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just one last question. How long will it take from Piranwadi to the main Belgaum Kolhapur highway? Am I likely to get stuck in city traffic?
Shouldnt take you more than 30mins in normal traffic.Its just about 10-12kms iirc not more than that.Just keep asking for directions to Rani Chenamma Circle from Piranwadi Cross and from the circle to NH4.

http://goo.gl/maps/MUNEh
Old 17th April 2013, 17:20   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Shouldnt take you more than 30mins in normal traffic.Its just about 10-12kms iirc not more than that.Just keep asking for directions to Rani Chenamma Circle from Piranwadi Cross and from the circle to NH4.
Ranjit

what about from NH 4 through belgaum to Piranwadi cross. What do I ask for going the other way from bom?
Cheers
Thanks

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 17th April 2013 at 17:25.
Old 17th April 2013, 17:27   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ranjit

what about from NH 4 through belgaum to Piranwadi cross. What do I ask for?
Cheers
Thanks
Once you exit NH4,ask for Rani Chennamma Circle,next ask for Piranwadi.

From Piranwadi the route goes via the following places:Jamboti-Kankumbi-Chorla-Sanquelim.At Chorla you have the Wildernest Resort-which is almost like a resort in the middle of nowhere,now with the road done up,I suspect the resort might see some more business

At Rani Chennamma itself if you ask for the Jamboti/Chorla route people would be able to guide you to it.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks