Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2006, 15:05   #16
BHPian

Yep to go quickly take the Expressway but NH17 is the more scenic route for sure....also as others have said starting early in the morning is generally what I do for long drives. Less city traffic, logical stop for breakfast/tea/coffee and less stress in the drive plus less heat , considering how the weather is right now :-(
Old 5th October 2006, 23:14   #17
BHPian

Anybody recently been on the NH17 route? How are the roads after the rains? Going to mahableshwar tommorow!
Old 6th October 2006, 08:31   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Anybody recently been on the NH17 route? How are the roads after the rains? Going to mahableshwar tommorow!

Hi,

I know someone who cam back last week. Go via Mumbai- Poona expressway stress free and faster with practically no traffic. Excellent roads.

Viper
Old 6th October 2006, 13:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Via poona expressway all the way, great driving pleasure no stress and faster...
Old 9th October 2006, 12:45   #20
BHPian

Had gone to Mahableshwar on friday and returned on sunday.
While going took the NH17 route (Mumbai - Goa route) - Bad roads in between,lots of city traffic too.But good driving pleasure.
While coming took the expressway route. Roads good except for 10 kms in between near katraj.
would recommend expressway always to anybody.
Old 3rd November 2006, 15:07   #21
BHPian

Used Pune route

After consulting this thread, went via the expressway - Pune route, much against my wife's wishes. Had traversed the Goa highway route almost 6 years ago.

The pune route is slightly longer, though you make up by driving faster on the expressway. But driving gets a drab boring on the express-way.

Next time, will probably use the Goa highway route.

BTW, use www.mapmyindia.com. Its a great site for driving directions between 2 points. This one suggested the older route.

Note from mod: Incorrect URL, post edited. Please verify URL before posting
Old 10th November 2007, 22:52   #22
BHPian

Last post is dated 2005

was wondering is the old highway any better now...
or one should still prefer Expressway for mahableshwar

im Leaving tomorrow morning

Any suggestions
Old 12th November 2007, 01:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

you may have left by now but for the benefit of the others who have this question lurking in the back of their minds, the route to take is the Expressway via poona. It will get you to Mahableshwar in 3.5 to 4.0 hours max. Safe, Fast and Best.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:21   #24
BHPian

Thanks buddy...

Came back last night went via pune express way.
wonderful drive.

No doubt this is the best route to mahableshwar.
Old 29th December 2007, 19:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Friends,
Do youll still recommend the expressway route or should we try the mahad/poladpur route? has anyone used this route recently? and hows the condition and traffic?
Old 1st January 2008, 20:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaid View Post
Hey PPl,

am planning a trip to mahabaleshwar during one of these weekends... I understnd that there are 2 options on the route:
1) via NH17
2) via expressway..

Have just begin my RnD n both these roads... am sure you guys must have done the route quite a few times...

suggestions wanted on :

which route...
route pecularities if any
time taken on either of these routes

also.. since i am a little short on time.. would prefer a route wherein I can do some decent speeds ands save on the transit time...

cheers...
Hi ,

I have done Mumbai Mahableshwar 4 times now and have used the Mumbai Pune expressway 3 times as it is safe and fast . The other route via mumbai goa roda via poladpur is too steep and you cannot drive fast as it is a two lane highway and roads are not that good after poladpur uphill to mahableshwar .

Via Expressway you need to cross Pune and head towards Satara and you will reach a junction where there is a road bridge underconstruction , you will find a indicator of right to mahableshwar , take the right to reach Wai then Panchgani and then Mahableshwar , should take you around 5 hours minimum .
Old 2nd January 2008, 00:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
you may have left by now but for the benefit of the others who have this question lurking in the back of their minds, the route to take is the Expressway via poona. It will get you to Mahableshwar in 3.5 to 4.0 hours max. Safe, Fast and Best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Friends,
Do youll still recommend the expressway route or should we try the mahad/poladpur route? has anyone used this route recently? and hows the condition and traffic?
Boss I read this a bit late to respond but believe me, the best way to MAhableshwar from Mumbai is the expressway. MAx time you will take is as mentioned in my earlier post 3.5-4.0 hours, if you go non stop with just a halt to go to the loo of a bite at one of the food malls for 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Hi ,

I have done Mumbai Mahableshwar 4 times now and have used the Mumbai Pune expressway 3 times as it is safe and fast . The other route via mumbai goa roda via poladpur is too steep and you cannot drive fast as it is a two lane highway and roads are not that good after poladpur uphill to mahableshwar .

Via Expressway you need to cross Pune and head towards Satara and you will reach a junction where there is a road bridge underconstruction , you will find a indicator of right to mahableshwar , take the right to reach Wai then Panchgani and then Mahableshwar , should take you around 5 hours minimum .
Boss there is no way you will now take 5 hours to mahableshwar unless you stop every few kms for whatever and spend almost one to 1.5 hours doing that.
Leave early and beat the city traffic coz thats what takes you the maximum time....getting out of the city. Once you hit the expressway it takes you 1-1.25 hrs to Poona and another 1 hour to Mahableshwar
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Friends,
I went via the expressway and returned via Mahad!
The expressway drive is surely very good, But, I found the return via Mahad more interesting!! The time taken was the same, the road via mahad is in Good state. and is much more adventure to drive than the boring expressway[ boring because i was under instructions to not drive beyond 150kmph] took 5 hrs each time since city traffic took 1 hour extra and also made stops of 45 minutes.
So Early morning both routes driving time is just 3.5 hours!!!
Gogi Sir, next time add adventure and once again try the mahad route!! its safe and much less traffic. the toll[3!!] delays on the expressway route are frustrating
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Friends,
I went via the expressway and returned via Mahad!
The expressway drive is surely very good, But, I found the return via Mahad more interesting!! The time taken was the same, the road via mahad is in Good state. and is much more adventure to drive than the boring expressway[ boring because i was under instructions to not drive beyond 150kmph] took 5 hrs each time since city traffic took 1 hour extra and also made stops of 45 minutes.
So Early morning both routes driving time is just 3.5 hours!!!
Gogi Sir, next time add adventure and once again try the mahad route!! its safe and much less traffic. the toll[3!!] delays on the expressway route are frustrating
I absolutely agree with the Mahad route for adventure and thrills but whenever I go to Mahableshwar, i am accompanied by the Wife and Kids who would not take a second to throw up in the winding conditions of the ghats. Also when I am with them I go for safety more than adventure (I am limited to 120kmph with them). If only me and you were going, I would not dream of going to Mahableshwar via the expressway..
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Boss I read this a bit late to respond but believe me, the best way to MAhableshwar from Mumbai is the expressway. MAx time you will take is as mentioned in my earlier post 3.5-4.0 hours, if you go non stop with just a halt to go to the loo of a bite at one of the food malls for 15 minutes.

Boss there is no way you will now take 5 hours to mahableshwar unless you stop every few kms for whatever and spend almost one to 1.5 hours doing that.
Leave early and beat the city traffic coz thats what takes you the maximum time....getting out of the city. Once you hit the expressway it takes you 1-1.25 hrs to Poona and another 1 hour to Mahableshwar
hI ,

I agree with you with regards to leave early and beat others while they are sleeping . If you leave out early then yes you can make it in 4 hours . I have always facing traffic slowdowns after the pune expressway till katraj bypass . The Pune vehicular traffic on this strectch as most want to get into the Pune city through different routes slows down your speed . Is there a way to miss these pune entry points.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks