Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 18:43   #91

Re: Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning to do a weekend drive from Thane to Mahabaleshwar in April in my Ecosport.

Is the Pune Expressway the only (and safer option) now OR do we have an alternate route which is scenic along the way?

Any update on the road conditions?

I do have my 2 year old toddler with me for the trip as well, so comfort will be important!
Old 1st April 2023, 13:35   #92
BHPian

Hi All! I couldn't find a thread for Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar route queries. Hence asking here. I am planning for summer vacation in Mahabaleshwar. Will be driving from Hosur to restort in Mahabaleshwar. Google maps says Tumakuru, Chitradurga, Davanagere bypass, Hubbali bypass, Belagavi, Kolhapur, Karad , Satara and then Panchgani and then resort. Requesting suggestions on road conditions, vegetarian restaurants on the way. Traveling with 2 kids. Thanks in advance!
Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries-screenshot_20230401_133248_maps.jpg
Old 1st April 2023, 14:22   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltrozGuy View Post
Hi,
I am planning to do a weekend drive from Thane to Mahabaleshwar in April in my Ecosport.
Is the Pune Expressway the only (and safer option) now OR do we have an alternate route which is scenic along the way?
Well, there is an alternate route via Mumbai Goa Highway. The road condition is definitely not as good as the expressway, but it will offer a different view and a larger ghat if you are into ghat driving.

The best advice I can give is to go via Thane-Panvel-Mangaon-Indapur-Poladpur-Mahabaleshwar, and come back via Pune Mumbai Expressway. The return journey would be slightly more comfortable due to the expressway.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 21:06   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I do have my 2 year old toddler with me for the trip as well, so comfort will be important!
The other route to Mahabaleshwar is the old Bombay - Goa route, the climb up from Poladpur is steep, sharp curves and generally bad road conditions.
The climb uphill is not kind to adults, leave alone a 2 year old toddler

IMHO use the Pune - Wai - Panchgani route.
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:33   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Please stick to Mum-Pune-Surur-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar. Poladpur ghat which starts from Mahad and climbs to Mahabaleshwar is not only bad but risky as well. ST buses traveling there are notorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All! I couldn't find a thread for Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar route queries. Hence asking here. I am planning for summer vacation in Mahabaleshwar. Will be driving from Hosur to restort in Mahabaleshwar. Google maps says Tumakuru, Chitradurga, Davanagere bypass, Hubbali bypass, Belagavi, Kolhapur, Karad , Satara and then Panchgani and then resort. Requesting suggestions on road conditions, vegetarian restaurants on the way. Traveling with 2 kids. Thanks in advance!
Attachment 2435991
I assume Google maps is showing Bangalore-Satara-Pachwad-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar. Stick to this route. Road conditions will be excellent till Wai. Not sure about the latest condition of Wai-Panchgani ghat but usually its always decent. Cant comment on veg restaurants in Karnataka but Maharashtra side there are plenty of vegetarian restaurants all along the way. Just look out for crowds. More the cars better it would be.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Definitely the Mumbai - Pune - Surur -Wai -Panchgani - Mahableshwar route is better as have just gone there in end of Feb. The roads are good and plenty of stops for food/bio breaks. But if you have the time about an hour extra then after Surur about 13 to 15 kms is Pachwad and do not take the flyover but the service road to connect to Medha. Google maps show it as Medha - Pachwad Road. From Medha take the Kelghar ghat to Mahableshwar.
About 70% of the road from Medha is concreted and the rest fully tarred. The ghat is not steep and very scenic with traffic density to a minimum. Hope this helps or the usual Surur to Mahableshwar route you can take.
ACMerchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:38   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Attachment 2435991
From Satara take the road to Medha and to Mahableshwar via the Kelghar Ghat. In google maps type Hosur to Mahableshwar and will show you this route. You will find many pure veg restaurants on the way. Have a safe journey.
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:44   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
But if you have the time about an hour extra then after Surur about 13 to 15 kms is Pachwad and do not take the flyover but the service road to connect to Medha. Google maps show it as Medha - Pachwad Road. From Medha take the Kelghar ghat to Mahableshwar.
Thanks I will try that and add it in the map
Old 19th July 2023, 02:46   #99

Hi All ! Planning to go to Mahabaleshwar around 28-29th July from Andheri. Google Maps shows route via pune-wai-panchgani. Can someone who has been there recently tell about the latest road conditions ?
Also I would be traveling along with my 9 months old baby so which route would be the best ?
Old 19th July 2023, 16:56   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKiloPapa View Post
Google Maps shows route via pune-wai-panchgani. Can someone who has been there recently tell about the latest road conditions ?
Pune-Wai-Panchgani is only proper route to Mahableshwer from Bombay right now. Since my uncle owns a hotel in Mahableshwer, I visit Mahableshwer 4-5 times a year, perfect destination for long drive.

I happened to be there past weekend and let me tell you its been raining like crazy there. Road between Panchgani and Mahableshwer is bad, but you have to drive cautiously. Pot holes have started appearing on road from Surur to Wai. More it rains more the roads will go bad. Its the same story every monsoon but just drive patiently and cautiously, enjoy the scenery, rains, music and you will reach your destination fine.
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 00:57   #101
BHPian

How us the route to Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai? I'm planning to start in the evening after office from Mumbai at 6pm, and reach Mahableshwar around midnight.
How is the Mahabaleshwar ghar section? Is it advisable for relatively new drivers? I have done till satara/kolhapur a few times at night.
Old 25th January 2024, 02:24   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
How us the route to Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai? I'm planning to start in the evening after office from Mumbai at 6pm, and reach Mahableshwar around midnight.
How is the Mahabaleshwar ghar section? Is it advisable for relatively new drivers? I have done till satara/kolhapur a few times at night.

Mumbai - Panvel - Expressway - Pune - continue the Pune Bangalore Highway - take right and exit expressway at Surur - Wai - Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar.

The climb from this side is very linear and smooth.
Unlike the Poladpur side, and since you are going to drive after sunset. And absolute no-no to drive up such a steep climb.

Try and have you dinner around Pune
Most eateries in Maby would be shut by the time you get there.
All the best and have a great trip.
Old 4th March 2024, 18:05   #103
SRM
BHPian

Hi All! I am going to Mahabaleshwar on this weekend from Andheri. I will be travelling with my wife and my two daughters of 6 years old.

See the below 2 routes as options:

Option 1 - via NH 66

Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries-option-1-via-nh-66.png

Option 2 - via Mum-Pune Expressway

Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries-option-2-via-mumpune-expressway.png

Have taken Option 2 via expressway various times before. I was exploring Option 1 via NH 66 mainly as haven't been to Atal Setu flyover yet and that route goes through the bridge. However, it shows a lot of construction zone symbols along the way. So not sure about the road conditions and if that's a good option. Although not much time difference between the two routes.

Which of the above two options is better to take? Any insights would be helpful. Thanks in advance
Old 4th March 2024, 18:16   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
Hi All! I am going to Mahabaleshwar on this weekend from Andheri. I will be travelling with my wife and my two daughters of 6 years old.

Option 1 - via NH 66

Attachment 2579433

Have taken Option 2 via expressway various times before. I was exploring Option 1 via NH 66 mainly as haven't been to Atal Setu flyover yet and that route goes through the bridge. However, it shows a lot of construction zone symbols along the way. So not sure about the road conditions and if that's a good option. Although not much time difference between the two routes.
The route via NH66 is undergoing major construction work across multiple patches. This route is the Mumbai-Goa highway and road-widening, etc is on in full swing. Best to avoid this route and stick to the tried and tested Mumbai-Pune expressway and beyond.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks