Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2015, 12:16   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Planning a 2 day trip to Chickmangalur with wife on my Ninja 6/8 Feb. The route seems straightforward from all the inputs on this thread. However I had a small doubt.

Where exactly near Hassan does one turn off NH48 for SH 57?

And does one have to go right through Chickmangalur to reach Kaimara?

Planning to visit Belur on the way there. Any pointers for a less hassled visit?
As soon as you hit the Hassan Bypass it becomes 2 lane (single carriageway). You will actually cross 2 intersections on this bypass with a Tall Lamp post in the middle. First Intersection is Mysore road while second is Gorur Road.

Soon after you have crossed the second intersection, you will get closer to a cross road (not as well planned as previous 2 Intersection) where you turn right.

As soon as you turn right you cross a Railway track. This stretch is approximately 500 to 600 meters and hits BM Road (Old NH48 Through Hassan Town). Turn left here and you see a Traffic signal.

At the signal Turn right and its SH57 and one road to Belur.

20kms on This road you reach a small town called Hagare. If you wish to cover Helebidu first, turn right here in this town for Helebidu which is 10kms from here. Well marked signage exists in this town itself for Halebidu.

Visit Helebidu, return back on same road riding 10kms and this time turn right again towards Belur which is exactly 16kms from here.

As you reach Belur, you would first get a tank Bund, followed by Corporation Bank on left and then a BPCL Fuel station. Turn left after BPCL and that will take you to the Temple which is exactly 2 kms from here. (You need to return here till BPCL and turn left for Chikmagalur too)

To answer you last question on Kaimara, you need to take IG road, followed by Ratnagiri road to reach a small circle (town canteen is here). Take left here and this leads to Kemmannugundi. A few kms ahead you get Kaimara which looks like a prominent junction. Take left here for Kemmannugundi/Mulayanagiri.

Heading straight here leads to Lingadahalli Tarikere side.

So basically you must enter Chikmagalur, take the road in front of Bus Stand (IG Road), continue straight after first signal and soon after first signal as the road splits, you keep left and go straight to reach a T Junction with a Diploma College on left. Turn left here for Kaimara.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st January 2015 at 12:26.
Old 31st January 2015, 12:49   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So basically you must enter Chikmagalur, take the road in front of Bus Stand (IG Road), continue straight after first signal and soon after first signal as the road splits, you keep left and go straight to reach a T Junction with a Diploma College on left. Turn left here for Kaimara.
That was an absolutely detailed answer from someone who has in depth knowledge of the area. Thanks Parag I will give a print out to my navigator
Old 14th May 2015, 10:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

I will be driving to Chikmagalur on 23rd.

Plan to take the

Bangalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Chikmagalur route while going and

Chikmagalur - Hassan - Bangalore route while returning.

My final destination is Shivekaa Homestay

Any decent places for break fast on angalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Chikmagalur route? I have not found any good options while I travelled almost 3 years back. Also, I read about Tumker ring road in the previous pages. Is this something which has come up recently. I have always avoided Tumkur town when ever I took NH 206. The road was patchy. Is this ring road?

Any good options for lunch on the Hassan route? Good hotels in Hassan can also be considered.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pramodpk : 14th May 2015 at 10:58.
Old 14th May 2015, 12:46   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Bangalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Chikmagalur route while going
You can stop at Vinayaka Cafe just as you enter Kadur. This will be some 50 meters ahead on the right side from the junction you will be taking left turn towards Chikmangalur.

It is a small hotel and bit easy to miss unless you notice the line of cars parked in front of the same.

They serve superb dosas. However a caution about their toilets, though it was clean it was something like what you will find in a dhaba- dark & cement floored, not tiled. If you are traveling with people really conscious about the same you may have to plan your break at CCDs near Arsikere which are hard to miss thanks to numerous sign boards.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 13:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
You can stop at Vinayaka Cafe just as you enter Kadur. This will be some 50 meters ahead on the right side from the junction you will be taking left turn towards Chikmangalur.

It is a small hotel and bit easy to miss unless you notice the line of cars parked in front of the same.

They serve superb dosas. However a caution about their toilets, though it was clean it was something like what you will find in a dhaba- dark & cement floored, not tiled. If you are traveling with people really conscious about the same you may have to plan your break at CCDs near Arsikere which are hard to miss thanks to numerous sign boards.
Thanks. But I would be able to reach this place by 10:00 AM since I would be starting at 5:00 AM from Whitefield. Any other option before this? Only CCDs?
Old 14th May 2015, 14:11   #96
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any decent places for break fast on angalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Chikmagalur route? I have not found any good options while I travelled almost 3 years back. Also, I read about Tumker ring road in the previous pages. Is this something which has come up recently. I have always avoided Tumkur town when ever I took NH 206. The road was patchy. Is this ring road?
The Tumkur bypass (turn off to left immediately after the toll plaza) will get you to NH206, look for shimoga signage. As per recent reports, this has been patched up so should not be an issue.
Going via tumkur town is also an option if you reach there early, say by 7am. 3-4 signals should be relatively fast during early mornings.
For breakfast, you can stop at Matha Sagar at Kibbanahalli cross. This is after Gubbi and 10-15Km before Tiptur. It is on right side, lot of KSRTC buses stop there and the campus has a wedding/convention centre too. My earlier post on this - Here
Next option would be the CCD at Arsikere, have also heard of Preethi Canteen at Birur, haven't been there yet.

Last edited by NPV : 14th May 2015 at 14:15.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:35   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I would be able to reach this place by 10:00 AM since I would be starting at 5:00 AM from Whitefield.
I guess the option part is explained in detail by NPV.

Regarding time, yes. Last Aug we had crossed NICE road Hosur road toll booth at 04:55 AM and reached Vinayaka Cafe at 08:15 AM after driving through Tumkur town which was near empty.

Even if you are not stopping at same place, this can give you a rough time estimate.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 14:48   #98
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Am planning to visit chickmagalur tomorrow (16th May ), please update on the status of roads.

I am planning to take this route since the homestay is about 20 kms into the village from Birur :

Bangalore-->Tumkur-->Arsikere --> Kadur-->Birur

Places to visit tomorrow (Day 1) :

kemmangundi -- kallatgiri falls -- hebbe falls -- zpoint

Places to visit on sunday (Day 2 ) :

Mullayanagiri -- baba budangiri -- Honnama falls -- Datta peeta -- Belur / Halebidu

Return :

Chikamagalore --> Belur --> Hassan --> Nelamangala --> Bangalore

Please let me know if we can cover some more places. I am still in confusion whether to take the first route tomorrow or the second route tomorrow to reach chickmagalur. Please let me know if this itinerary is good.

Last edited by prguru : 15th May 2015 at 14:49. Reason: typo
Old 26th May 2015, 18:36   #99
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Went to chickmagalur last weekend, took this route

To :

Nagarabhavi--Magadi--Belur--Chickmagalur - roads are excellent

Fro :

Kemmangundi -- Birur -- Arsikere--Chennarayapatana--Joined Hassan highway --Magadi--Nagarabhavi

Near kemmangundi there was no asphalt for about 2 kms while climbing up and some rough patches near Birur ( for about 1 KM ) , other than this the roads were good.

Birur -- Arsikere--Chennarayapatana - this road is single lane but very less traffic and scenic and one can enjoy driving.

The original route planned for return :

Kemmangundi -- Birur -- Tumkur --Bangalore but if you stay around Rajajinagar/RR Nagar/Vijayanagar/nagarabhavi and surroundings you can take the route via CR patna instead of going all the way to Tumkur and coming back.
Old 26th May 2015, 20:48   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Hi Guys,
Went to chickmagalur last weekend, took this route
To :
Nagarabhavi--Magadi--Belur--Chickmagalur - roads are excellent
Did you drive to Mullyanagiri and then to Kemmanugundi via Bababudangiri? If yes, please share the road conditions.

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 08:13. Reason: 1. Reduced the entire quoted post. 2. Modified initial part of the post and fixed typos.
Old 27th May 2015, 23:30   #101
BHPian

Hi Johny,

We followed this map, went to mullayanagiri, sagir ahmed falls and datta peeta but the road after datta peeta is very bad and bottom will scrape and if it rains it will become even worse but SUV owners will love this route, saw one pajero guy with a big while he over took me and vanished in this trail. If you are planning to go in a car it is not advised.

We too went in a car so we returned back to chickmagalore after visiting mullayanagirl and baba budangiri, stayed there at night and took route 2 the next day. Route 2 is very good with aspalt/concrete up to kemmangunde execpt for about 2 kms near kemmangundi where they are laying fresh concrete ( most of the roads are made of cement concrete there ).

At the junction where I have marked as indian oil petrol bunk take a left which will go to kemmangundi .
One word of advise - if you are planning to visit lake / falls please check with the locals for water level, most of the falls and lakes are not worth the visit since they have dried up.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-map1.jpg  

Last edited by prguru : 27th May 2015 at 23:34. Reason: addition of more info
prguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 15:44   #102
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Chikmagalur last weekend. Took the NH 206 Bangalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Kadur - Chikmagalur route both ways. Took the Tumkur bypass while going. The road is patched up and not an issue. Came via Tumkur town while returning. I thinking going via town will be faster if travelling early in the morning.

Had Breakfast at Matha Sagar (Hotel Matha Residency complex) at Kibbanahali Cross. Ok food and OK toilets but this seems to be the best option in this route.

On the return, stopped for lunch at Raghavendra Hotel in Arasikere. Food not good. Do not evengo one mile near the toilet.

Whitefield to Chikmagalur took 5 hours including break (45 mins) and Chikmagalur to Whitefield took 5.5 hours with break ( 1 hr).

Last edited by pramodpk : 28th May 2015 at 15:46.
Old 28th May 2015, 20:39   #103
BHPian

Quote:

On the return, stopped for lunch at Raghavendra Hotel in Arasikere. Food not good. Do not evengo one mile near the toilet.
Next time you can have try at Hotel Medhini which is just before entrance of Arasikere next to IOC petrol bunk while coming towards Arasikere from Kadur. I had to stop there for my lunch a couple of months back and the food quality was decent enough.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 18:33   #104
BHPian

Hey all,

I'm planning to do a weekend trip to Chikmagalur with my friends in the first week of July. We're planning to leave Bengaluru at midnight so that we can reach C'magalur early in the morning, don't worry we are a nocturnal bunch .
Which route is the best to treat our eyes with greenery/mist/less traffic? Any recommendations on a good budget homestay with good veg and non-veg food(we'll mostly be out exploring)?
A few places I intend to visit are Mullayingiri Hills, Baba Budangiri & Bhadra Forest. Any more must visit places?

Thanks in advance
Old 6th June 2015, 21:48   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
We're planning to leave Bengaluru at midnight so that we can reach C'magalur early in the morning, don't worry we are a nocturnal bunch .
If you guys are planning to leave at night, the scenic route part any way does not apply. Because it only takes 5-6 hours to reach Chikkamagalur. And for night drives I would always suggest to stick to 4-lane roads whenever and where ever possible. From that point of view I would suggest the usual route : Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikkamagalur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks