Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 16:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hudson, that sounded really scary! How did you manage to escape from the Bolero? And did you file a case?
Old 6th October 2009, 00:31   #47

AKR & GILEAD: Still living thru that ordeal.......[out of function past 5 days with viral!!] on that incident: 1:35 pm ~ Milestone 38: 44kms to Balasore: actually i got boxed in ..... paid Rs. 1050 Orissa Motor Vehicle Tax and was cruising at 80 kph; calculated hitting B'sore around 2:30pm. I came up to where the road gradually swept on a leftish incline that I saw a grey Mahindra Jeep almost stationery on the left lane. Minutes before a dark red (wine) the Bolero overtook me but after that .. I noticed as it came up on my azimuth vision that its brake lights lit up. I hit the brakes hard, needle dropped 80 to 50, twitched the steering left planned to swing left in the gap between the jeep and the Bolero, and immediately stood on the brakes when I saw the white lights (reverse lights on) lite up -- the Bolero driver head turned to me was reversing directly; must'v doing 20 and my car was sure straight lining wheels locked at 20 so collission of +40kph. The noise was huge including that warning noise coming from the car. Immediately on collission I heard two bikes start up across that highway, dashed down crossed the culvert and came up. I was just checking that we were not hurt when the Jeep next to me took off and so the Bolero. One biker and his friend in a Pulsar chased them but came back after 20 minutes that both sped off so fast they had no chance to spot the numbers. NHAI emergency came within 10 minutes of calling them (they were in the vicinity) and we were towed to B'sore. Police at Balasore - they said they cant do anything. The only thing is while I was pushing my car into the garage the NHAI driver and his assistants demanded money for towing and my mother in law, all too rattled paid Rs. 1500/- they went back to their vehicle saying the receipt book was there - but took off; it was raining hard so I could not possible chase them!!! Anyway, the whole 260 kms was definately fatigue filled -left home at 5 am - from 6 to 1pm battled that 40kms stockpile of vehilces due to the Kolaghat breakdown - mental faculties were definately at ebb..................... My school friend an officiating AIG of the WBP says we have a huge lacunae - Highways are NOT policed or regulated - NHAI has a long way to go before we get to US / European levels. In conclusion, to all who traverse on Highways - please TAKE CARE.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:38   #48
BHPian

That is a scary story.......... Now I am in doubt how to come back to Bangalore... I will start tonight... But the good news is that I have one Safari and Ikon to company with.... but not sure what is the flood condition in AP...anyone travelled arround Vizag and Vijayawada in last 2-3 days?
Old 16th May 2010, 11:32   #49
BHPian

Guys need an update with this route again if anyone has gone recently, my concern area is through Katak and Kharagpur, after all Naxal rampage happening in that belt.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:02   #50
BHPian

How is the road condition through Orissa and do we still have the menace of tax that is charged arbitrarily?

I am planning on driving my "new" Red Jeep" from Bangalore to Kharagpur.

Alternatively, does anyone know how I transport the Jeep by train from Bangalore to KGP? What is the procedure and the paper work involved as well as the cost?

Cheers

Nattusbs

Last edited by Nattusbs : 17th May 2010 at 14:18.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

OR road condition remains static, as incomplete as before, and the cops at Jaleshwar continue to have a gala time.
Old 17th May 2010, 18:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
OR road condition remains static, as incomplete as before, and the cops at Jaleshwar continue to have a gala time.
Some more lights on this please. I little confused on this part of collecting TAX
Old 17th May 2010, 18:38   #53

I have taken my bike in 2006 from Bangalore to Kolkata at the time of my transfer. I have deposited the same with Packers & Movers and the same was delivered to Kolkata. Not much paper work required, only you need to provide the registration papers to the packers and you will have to keep the receipts provided by them and provide the same at the time of delivery. However, if you are shifting base, you will have to get a NOC from the relevant RTO in Bangalore and produce the same for applying for a change of registration to West Bengal.

Regards,
Kaustuv
Old 17th May 2010, 18:48   #54

The tax part is pure adhoc and arbitrary. The police at Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Balasore are especially famous for the same. You may have to face the same ordeal at the West Bengal Orissa border check post. However, I have never heard that tax is being charged at the West Bengal check post. I have traveled from Kolkata to Puri as well as to Gopalpur quite a few times, however, I have never faced this situation. Still, it is better to travel during night time, the roads will be relatively empty from traffic and the police will be more interested in the trucks. Please be aware of the bikes in the highway, they can behave in any manner they wish and can travel from any direction to any direction

Regards,
Kaustuv.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

This problem has been rampant for some time now. It is extortion by the OR police near the WB border before Jaleswar. They claim that all out-of-state cars have to pay Rs 800 as "permit" charges - there is no such legal requirement. I have had many of my friends face this issue not only in this NH60, but also on NH3 in the OR-JH border near Jamshola. You will have to bluff/bullshit your way through (2 of them friends - one simply drove off, another threatened that he was a press-wala). You will find more on this topic in another thread in this forum.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This problem has been rampant for some time now. It is extortion by the OR police near the WB border before Jaleswar. They claim that all out-of-state cars have to pay Rs 800 as "permit" charges - there is no such legal requirement. I have had many of my friends face this issue not only in this NH60, but also on NH3 in the OR-JH border near Jamshola. You will have to bluff/bullshit your way through (2 of them friends - one simply drove off, another threatened that he was a press-wala). You will find more on this topic in another thread in this forum.
Does this happen in GQ(NH5/NH6)?

Last edited by asdon : 17th May 2010 at 19:52.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:43   #57

I am not very sure about NH5/NH6 but this is the case with NH60 the highway which connects Bhubaneswar from Kolkata. Actually approaching from Kolkata initially you will be on NH6 which bifurcates to NH60 before Kharagpur and approaches Balasore.

Regards,
Kaustuv.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

It happens in NH60 (Jaleshwar, the first big town after WB in OR, going to BHubaneswar) and in NH6 (OR-JH border, coming from Nagpur-Sambalpur).
Old 19th May 2010, 19:28   #59
BHPian

I just drove up and down NH5 / NH60 from Bangalore to Sikkim, Bhutan and back. T he journey up was April 17 - 20 and back was May 8 - 12. I didn't face a single problem with cops or check posts anywhere in Orissa or West Bengal, in terms of extortion. Of course, the check posts in Orissa and WB were a complete mess as there were trucks parked on both sides and we had to really squeeze our way through any available gaps with chaotic local traffic.
Road condition in the Bhadrak - Balasore stretch is still bad, and the Berhampore - Icchhapuram border stretch is a complete mess. Other than these stretches, NH5 / NH60 is a pleasure to drive on (as long as you're not spooked by local traffic on wrong side)
Old 20th May 2010, 09:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by float View Post
I just drove up and down NH5 / NH60 from Bangalore to Sikkim, Bhutan and back. T he journey up was April 17 - 20 and back was May 8 - 12. I didn't face a single problem with cops or check posts anywhere in Orissa or West Bengal, in terms of extortion. Of course, the check posts in Orissa and WB were a complete mess as there were trucks parked on both sides and we had to really squeeze our way through any available gaps with chaotic local traffic.
Road condition in the Bhadrak - Balasore stretch is still bad, and the Berhampore - Icchhapuram border stretch is a complete mess. Other than these stretches, NH5 / NH60 is a pleasure to drive on (as long as you're not spooked by local traffic on wrong side)
Thats good news Float, can we expect a detail of the journey?
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks