Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 22:38   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
We are a grp of 6 guys. Any help will be appreciated.
Depends on what you are looking for from your trip.

I have just returned from Valparai to Bangalore. My trip was from 28th Oct - 31st Oct.

In my opinion the estate bungalows are good provided you want to spend time in the bungalows. If you want to venture out for sightseeing then I would suggest you stay in a hotel kinda place. During my trip I was out of the room by 7:30am and back around 7pm. After freshening up, planning for the following day and having dinner I was half dead and was fast asleep. The windy roads there are awesome to drive on and as a result I drove around 84KM on day 2 and 157KM on day 3.

My aim was the latter and I stayed in Misty Creek. I paid Rs.2250 for the "Couples room". It is a room with an amazing view. The room was clean and I had a pleasant stay. The "couples rooms" have private balconies and there are two such rooms while all other rooms have shared balconies. There is one room for 4 occupants and few other standard rooms. These rooms will be cheaper and smaller. There is covered parking available. They do not serve food however you can have food of good quality at Krishna Inn about 100m from Misty Creek. I would recommend this place. Online I read some reviews that they do not provide towels and soap however I was provided with both.

Pic of the parking area :
Valparai - Stay and other info-dscn0985.jpg

Pics of the view from the room:
Valparai - Stay and other info-dscn0973.jpg

Few car pics as well
Valparai - Stay and other info-image.jpg

Few more pics.

Valparai - Stay and other info-image-2.jpg
Valparai - Stay and other info-image-3.jpg
Valparai - Stay and other info-image-1.jpg

That's the view of the stream from the room
Valparai - Stay and other info-image-4.jpg

Here's my quick review of food options :

Krishna Inn
Both veg and non-veg available. The hotel does not serve breakfast and is open from 12pm to 10:30pm.
We are veg folks but had no qualms eating here. This place was clean and relatively new. The food is of good quality and taste was good in absolute terms. Meaning the veg fried rice here is basically rice+vegs+pepper+salt. It is simple and wholesome. We had veg fried rice, veg noodles, meals for lunch, onion uttapam. All items were of good quality and this place became the de-facto food stop during our stay.
One can park the car on the road here. The road is a main road and the local buses ply on this route however the traffic is lean and parking would not cause problems. We even saw a mini bus parked here without issues.

MRK Chettiar Bhavan
This is a veg only place. Opens early around 7:30am contrary to what google says and stays open till 8:30pm.
We visited this place only for breakfast and had parota, onion uttapam, appam and idli. All the items were delicious. I specially liked the parotas.
This became out breakfast stop during our stay. It is located in the basement on a rather busy market road. Parking is easy to find in the morning but one needs to hunt for a spot later in the day.

Hotel Green hill
Both veg and non-veg. Dont know the timings.
We went to this place only to check it out. We had one onion uttappam of average quality here.
The ambiance is really glum and did not feel like a family place at all. We were not comfortable here. The place was not clean and looked really old. There is a bar adjacent/attached to this place and one can here quite a racket from within.

Hotel Saravana Grand
Both veg and non-veg. Dont know about timings.
Again we went here only to check it out. We only had tea
The place was better than Green hill but not as good as the frst two. It is small with about 4 tables and located on the 2nd floor. It felt cramped and a bit gloomy.

My preference
Krishna Inn > MRK > Saravana > Green Hill
If I were to return to Valparai I would certainly go to MRK for breakfast and Krishna Inn for Lunch/Dinner. I would not step into the other two.
Of course if you want to have your golden elixir then Green hill is the only place.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd November 2017 at 08:19. Reason: Merging.
rajathv8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:20   #332
BHPian

Re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Sinnadorai was the best option in Valparai, I had visited few years back and found them worth the amount quoted.
However, you can try Rajeev who was the caretaker when I visited - 9488024500 / 04253222362, I guess he is still with Sinnadorai.
The mobile number has changed and there is no one pick up the landline. Sent an enquiry via their website and still waiting for a call or email. Puthuthottam Annexe of woodbriar group looks good with its location near the edge of the forest.
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:36   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Puthuthottam Annexe
Ah about that one. Can someone who has visited the place please confirm if the google location is correct?
I stopped there on my return to check it out but couldn't see it from the road. Is it deeper inside and away from the road?
Old 5th August 2018, 22:16   #334
BHPian

Valparai was always one of my dream destination to drive and finally I am able to put up this plan after delaying for sometime now. I've gone through N no of travelogues in Team BHP on Valparai and that made my desire to travel this wonderful place more and mor. So finally I've my plan ready and I need your help/review before I could freeze on the same.

Here goes the plan :-

Day 1: 22nd Aug

Route:

Bangalore- Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Angalakurichi-Aliyar-Valparai

Accomodation: Sinnadorais Bungalow (As Highly recommended on Team BHP)

Start at 5/6 AM from Bangalore and reach Valaparai by 2/3 PM
On the way visit :-

Aliyar Dam
Monkey Falls
loam's view point

Day 2: 23rd Aug

Balaji Temple and sorrounding places around Valparai and if possible night safari and relax in sinnadorai

Day 3: 24th Aug (Check out from sinnadorai)

SinnaDorai -->Vellamalai Tunnel --> Koolangal River --> Sholayar Dam --> Thottapura View Point --> Vazhachal Water Falls --> Athirapally Water Falls --> Thumboormuzhy Garden

After visiting all these places, I plan to head to palladam/Thrissur and take a rest

Day 4: 25th Aug

Start from palladam/Thrissur and head to Bangalore

So please review the itinerary and provide your guidance. Also please let me know:-

1. If the route plan from Bangalore to Valparai seems ok considering current condition ?
2. Which is it better option to stay I.e. thrissur or palladam and any recommendation for place to stay in these places ?
3. Is there anything to see either in Thrissur or Palladam before I head out to Bangalore ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th August 2018, 23:35   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
1. If the route plan from Bangalore to Valparai seems ok considering current condition ?
2. Which is it better option to stay I.e. thrissur or palladam and any recommendation for place to stay in these places ?
3. Is there anything to see either in Thrissur or Palladam before I head out to Bangalore?
1. Yes, covered till Pollachi yesterday
2. There are no much choice for stay at Palladam. But why should you travel back to palladam? You may take Thrissur --> Palakad --> Coimbatore --> B'lore. In this case you can stay at Coimbatore.
3. Palladam : nothing
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 05:58   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. Is there anything to see either in Thrissur or Palladam before I head out to Bangalore ?
Going to Trichur is going away from Bangalore on the return path! (Unless you want to go to Trichur or I hope you did not mean Tiruppur?)

You can easily drive on these 2-lanes at night. If want to take rest, you can drive Chenni's at Perundurai or (even some hotel at Salem). Its a decent place; wont say great.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 14:06   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
1. Yes, covered till Pollachi yesterday
2. There are no much choice for stay at Palladam. But why should you travel back to palladam? You may take Thrissur --> Palakad --> Coimbatore --> B'lore. In this case you can stay at Coimbatore.
3. Palladam : nothing
Thanks for your reply Mr. Boss. So the route to Valparai looks good to me now.
Actually I mentioned wrongly Palladam instead of Palakkad. So as you suggest the route for coming back can be Palakad --> Coimbatore --> B'lore and a stay in Coimbatore. Also I am also exploring the option of staying close to Athirappilly falls and then start for Bangalore next day. What do u think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Going to Trichur is going away from Bangalore on the return path! (Unless you want to go to Trichur or I hope you did not mean Tiruppur?)

You can easily drive on these 2-lanes at night. If want to take rest, you can drive Chenni's at Perundurai or (even some hotel at Salem). Its a decent place; wont say great.
Thanks for the suggestion ampere. I was about to decide between Thrissur and Palakad. As I understand Thrissur (Trichur ) is going away from Bangalore, I would opt for
Palakkad. Also I was thinking if I could stay in the resort near Athirappilly falls and start on the next day to Bangalore. What do u think ?
Old 6th August 2018, 16:46   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Route between Valparai - Athirapally was closed last week due to heavy rains, do check with anyone in Sinadoorai about road conditions before you make booking at Palakkad / Thrissur.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 18:42   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Also I was thinking if I could stay in the resort near Athirappilly falls and start on the next day to Bangalore. What do u think ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Route between Valparai - Athirapally was closed last week due to heavy rains, do check with anyone in Sinadoorai about road conditions before you make booking at Palakkad / Thrissur.
Had been to Valparai yesterday. The Athirappally route has been opened as informed by the forest department personnel at Anamalai checkpost at Aliyar.

If you are planning to stay near Athirappally, do check out Rainforest resort. The view from the resort is breathtaking. But it's a bit highly priced I guess. Decide based on your budget.

Also if you are planning to visit Nirar dam or Chinna kallar in your own vehicle, please avoid as the road conditions are terrible.

Last edited by i20ian : 6th August 2018 at 18:45.
i20ian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 17:41   #340
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

With the recent floods in Kerala and landslides not sure If i should go ahead with the plan. I am keeping a close watch on the situation and will take a call end of next week.
Old 11th August 2018, 18:41   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

With the recent floods in Kerala and landslides not sure If i should go ahead with the plan. I am keeping a close watch on the situation and will take a call end of next week.
The flood situation is grim in many parts of Kerala. The state govt has banned tourists in most of the tourist places on 11th, 12th August. Also another phase of monsoon is predicted to start on 13th. So can't predict what will be the situation.

Even my car got affected by the floods although luckily water has not gone into the engine. But the floor carpet got drenched and it is stinking right now.

Valparai - Stay and other info-img20180809wa0044.jpeg

Valparai - Stay and other info-img_20180811_184046.jpg
i20ian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 19:51   #342
BHPian

The situation in Valparai is not looking good right now. I was following Valparai news and I see land slips being reported in many places and also flood water has entered to many houses over there. Please follow the below links for more details :-

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le24704101.ece

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le24713608.ece

So i am cancelling my trip for Valparai now however my love for this place will bring me back soon.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:47   #343
Senior - BHPian

Traveled Last weekend to Valparai

Took the route Hyderabad - Banglore - Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi -Valparai.

The roads from Avinashi- Mangalam - Palladam - Sultanpet- Pollachi is in good condition.

Pollachi to Valparai.

Pollachi to Aliyar is in good condition.

Aliyar to Valparai

Small bridges and lots of road work is happening but no issues for driving.
It takes about 2 hrs to traverse and has 40 Hairpin bends.
If you are travelling by dusk do not miss out the view point of the Aliyar dam .

Last edited by gajadonga : 23rd October 2018 at 11:50.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 13:29   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

How is this route to Valparai: Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Aravakurichi-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Valparai.

I have taken this route to Palani, and then took the left to go to Palani. The roads were great almost all the way. How are the roads after Dharapuram to Pollachi?
Old 10th January 2019, 15:59   #345
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How is this route to Valparai: Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Aravakurichi-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Valparai.
Not sure about current road conditions on this route beyond Karur, but other good route alternatives are:
1. Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Valparai (4/6 lane upto Perundurai and very nice undivided roads thereafter, windmills along the way too between Kangeyam-Palladam).

2. Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Avinashi bypass-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Valparai (4/6 lane upto Avinashi bypass and excellent roads after that).

Basically, these routes branch off from the Salem-Coimbatore section as compared to the Salem-Dindigul/Madurai section that you have mentioned

*I'm not sure about current conditions of the Pollachi-Valparai section, not sure if there was any impact from the Kerala rains/floods and if it has been restored after that.
I think based on the update above by @gajadonga in Oct 2018, this should be manageable/decent.

Last edited by NPV : 10th January 2019 at 16:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks