Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 14:56   #196
BHPian

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Has anyone stayed in this place ? https://www.facebook.com/WhisperingFallsResortValparai

Any reviews ??

Thanks
Shyam
Old 20th November 2013, 16:03   #197
BHPian

Returned from the trip a day back.

Road conditions are excellent from Madurai to Valparai. (Mdaurai - Dindugal - Oddanchatram - Palani - Udumalaipettai - Valparai)

Thanks Ampere for suggesting the route from Udumalaipettai. It was excellent and saved us quite a lot of time.

I filled up petrol from Sriram & Co (IOC I believe). It has a small branch of Sri Krishna Sweets attached to it. Quality was quite good. Got some snacks from them after filling up, which was excellent.

Places to avoid or take extra precaution if you are a sedan / hatchback owner

1. Upper/Lower Nirar dam (Chinakallar/ Periyakallar) - Roads are good till you cross Koolangal river and reach the forest checkpost, after that literally its first gear territory. No roads or just broken roads is what you will see.
2. Balaji temple - Road is good till the half way point, after that its in the same state as the Nirar dam way.

Roads from Rottikadai to Sholayar dam is excellent most of the way. Same is the state of road from Sholayar dam to Valparai.

Had to skip Kadamparai as we went to Parambikulam from there and stayed there for a day.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:54   #198
BHPian

I stayed in Whispering falls Valparai over the Good Friday weekend. A pretty decent place for the money that you pay.

It is a paradise for bird photographers. There is a small waterfall that flows within the property.

The tariff (2300 including breakfast) is a bit on the higher side, considering the quality of the property.

This property can be termed as a posh home-stay at best. There is enough space for small kids/ children to walk around.

The food served for lunch and dinner comes to 75rs per person on an average, and is quite tasty.

This place is close to Malakapara check post (TN-Kerala border) on the Sholayar dam road.

One would need a car if the intent is to visit places in valparai.

All in all, I would say that this is a mid range option for families

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 18:32   #199
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I am Planning to visit Valparai this weekend (23/05/2014). Need the following details ASAP.

1. Best route from chennai and current road conditions.
2. Good budget stay options for family for 2 days (Pease provide weblinks for online booking if possible! ).
3. Alternate route while returning home, so other places can be explored.
4. Current temperature at valparai.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2014, 20:11   #200
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
I am Planning to visit Valparai this weekend (23/05/2014). Need the following details ASAP.
You could take this route from Chennai:
Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Aliyar-Valparai. This route has good roads all the way.

Budget stay options - not too sure, do check this thread for recommendations. Most of the good places are the estate bungalows and are a bit pricey, I have stayed at the Sinnadorai Bungalow and it is excellent. I've heard that Waterfalls estate is good too.

On your return you can try the Kerala route so take Valparai-Sholayar-Vazhachal waterfall-Athirapilly waterfall-Chalakudy. Both the waterfalls are good places to visit on the way.

From Chalakudy, you could then return to Chennai via :
Palakkad-Walayar-Coimbatore bypass-Avinashi-Salem-Krishnagiri-Chennai
OR
Vadakkencherry-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Krishnagiri-Chennai (almost the same route you took to Pollachi, this time in opposite direction).

Not too sure but summer temperatures could be about 30 degrees Celcius in day time and low 20's in the nights.

Last edited by NPV : 21st May 2014 at 20:13.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 22:06   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi BHPians,

1. Best route from chennai and current road conditions.
2. Good budget stay options for family for 2 days (Pease provide weblinks for online booking if possible! ).
3. Alternate route while returning home, so other places can be explored.
4. Current temperature at valparai.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Aliyar-Valparai. This route has good roads all the way.
1. I would recommend the Chennai - Trichy - Dindugul route. The Krishnagari route is little longer and is a ascend that impacts Fuel Efficiency(in case you are bothered about it)

2. Search for the Sinadorai's Bungalows in the forum. Valparai has very limited staying options. So make sure you book your stay well in advance. The town is very small and the budget accommodations are pretty bad.

3. In case you hit Valparai, don't miss to return via Athirapally(don't miss the waterfalls too). The drive is arguably one of the bests in South India.

4. I'm guessing the monsoons have started(Check wiki for season to visit). I visited the place on the first week of June in 2012, and the weather then was pretty good.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 22:18   #202
Senior - BHPian

There's torrential rains(that which precedes the monsoon) now, as the plains are torrid and humid by the afternoon.

So exercising a little caution during the gusty winds when in the hill roads is advised.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:26   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Aliyar-Valparai. This route has good roads all the way
NPV - Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. I reckon the route suggested is a bit longer from chennai, but it is the best route from banglore. I have decide to take this route in my return journey and also looking to go via mettur (Nerver got a chance to visit Mettur before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
1. I would recommend the Chennai - Trichy - Dindugul route. The Krishnagari route is little longer and is a ascend that impacts Fuel Efficiency(in case you are bothered about it)
Thanks Cliffhanger. This looks to be the fastest route, and yes the best considering the fuel efficiency from chennai. I would stick to this, to reach valaprai as early as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
There's torrential rains(that which precedes the monsoon) now, as the plains are torrid and humid by the afternoon.

So exercising a little caution during the gusty winds when in the hill roads is advised.
Thank you ramzys, for your piece of advice, i would certainly exercise caution as i am travelling with my family.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd May 2014 at 12:42.
Old 28th May 2014, 16:48   #204
BHPian

MODS: Sorry mods, as i could not edit my previous post, I am posting a new post. kindly remove my previous post.

Hi Guys,
I am back from Valparai, and would like to share a brief travelogue.

Day 1 (23/05/2014)

Start Time: 6:20 AM.
Route: Chennai – Dindigul – Palani- Pollachi (NH 45)
Stop Time: 6 PM
Stay @ Pollachi: Took rooms at Hotel Ramanuja (Opposite to Pollachi Bus stand). Rooms are well maintained, and a double A/C deluxe room costs only Rs.990 with Tax, and they also provide underground car parking. Highly recommend.
Food: Saravana bhavan next to Hotel.

Day 2 (24/05/2014):

Start Time: 8:30 AM (From Pollachi)
Route: Pollachi – Aliyar dam – Valparai.
Stop time: 11:30 AM (@ Valparai with breaks for sightseeing).
Stay @ Valparai: Took Home Stay near Valparai town. Pretty costly paid Rs.2400/night, and there is no proper service (Not recommended).
Tourist Spots: Hired a local taxi for Rs.1500 for half day and visited most of the local tourist places around Valparai.
Food: Some mess (don’t remember the name).

Day 3 (25/05/2014):

Start Time: 8:00 AM (From Valparai).
Route: Valparai – Sholayar Dam – Athirapally falls – Chalakudy – Palakkad – Coimbatore – Avinashi – Salem. Route was excellent and drive through Avinashi was a cake walk.
Stop time: 9:00 PM (@Salem).
Stay @Salem: Took Hotel Priya (Opposite to Salem new bus stand). Rent was Rs.2700 for 2 double bed rooms with A/C. Underground car parking available. Clean hotel with good service.
Tourist Spots: Covered Sholayar Dam, Vazhchal falls, Charpa falls and Athirapally falls and went to Salem via Chalakudy – Coimbatore route (NH-47).
Food: Breakfast at Sholayar Dam, lunch at Trissur – Palakkad Highway @ Hotel Fryday, and dinner @Salem.

Day 4 (26/05/2014):

Start Time: 8:30 AM
Route: Salem – Thoppur- Dharmapuri – krishnagiri- Ambur – Vellore – Chennai (Good roads all the way).
Stop Time: 6:00 PM
Food : @ Ambur.
Did local shopping at Salem and few breaks at Thoppur, lunch @Ambur and reached home by 6:00 PM.
Other Info:
Car: Tata Vista QJD
Total KMS: 1470 kms.
Diesel used: 83 liters
Mileage: 17.71 approx (with AC on all the time except ghat roads).
Route Map attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Valparai - Stay and other info-route20map.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2014, 16:17   #205
BHPian

Valparai is pending in my list for 1-2 years now. I have got 2-3 days to spend in a near by place (near to Cochin) and this is at the top of my list. Before start planning, let me ask this simple question. Is this a good time (between Jul-15 to Aug-15) to visit Valparai?

Also I have heard that there are some restrictions nowadays like some of the attractions are not allowed to visit or so. I dont have any concrete information on which and all. It was a very vague info from some of my friends, even they are not sure. So basically its a rumor to me. Is that true? If yes, to what extend?
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:31   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Valparai is pending in my list for 1-2 years now. I have got 2-3 days to spend in a near by place (near to Cochin) and this is at the top of my list. Before start planning, let me ask this simple question. Is this a good time (between Jul-15 to Aug-15) to visit Valparai?

Also I have heard that there are some restrictions nowadays like some of the attractions are not allowed to visit or so. I dont have any concrete information on which and all. It was a very vague info from some of my friends, even they are not sure. So basically its a rumor to me. Is that true? If yes, to what extend?
If its raining,there is not much you can do.For stay depending on your budget there are various Tea Estate Bungalows.The best being Sinnadorai ofcourse.Havent heard of any restrictions so far.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:30   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Havent heard of any restrictions so far.
Thats nice. I hope for good road conditions but rain! I am bothered only if it is too heavy for a comfortable travel.

For stay and all, I shall start exploring once the travel plan is finalized.
Old 4th July 2014, 10:49   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Thats nice. I hope for good road conditions but rain! I am bothered only if it is too heavy for a comfortable travel.

For stay and all, I shall start exploring once the travel plan is finalized.
Sinnadorai is the best place in Valparai imo.
Old 4th July 2014, 14:34   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Sinnadorai is the best place in Valparai imo.
Thanks for the pointer. I will definitely consider this.
Old 4th July 2014, 16:31   #210
Senior - BHPian

This being monsoon season, it is very likely to rain heavily there, so decided based on your comfort. Also, you can't do much sight seeing and most of the roads to sight seeing points are narrow single lane. Only one vehicle can go comfortably at a time. If there is a vehicle in opposite direction, you literally have to get 2 wheels down the road and drive closely. Not to scare you, but that is the fact in Valparai. So in rainy days, that will be even more challenging.

I've stayed in "Waterfall Estate" bungalows and they are simply awesome. I haven't stayed at sinnodorai, so can't comment much.

You can pick either of these choices which works out for your budget.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks