Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 19:22   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Does anyone have any contact numbers of Glendale, NEPC or Hotel Green Hill.

I sent an email to Glendale this evening, and am yet to get a response. I also called Green Hill, but after the operator picked up and I asked if there were rooms for 10th June, the line got dis-connected. When I called again it went into fax mode.

Sinnadoorai is too expensive, considering that it will cost me more than 12 K per day for 4 persons. And you never know if rains will play spoilsport. So spending so much may not be justified, at least for that part of the year.

Edit: I could find the contact number of NEPC on the prior page, and will call them soon.

Last edited by vnabhi : 17th May 2012 at 19:25.
Old 17th May 2012, 20:20   #122
Senior - BHPian

Greenhills is a hotel and would not give you the same experience as the estate bungalow. You speak with Sunil of NEPC tomorrow but do keep in mind with monsoon expected to start around June 1st you might end up sitting indoors the whole day.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 20:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Does anyone have any contact numbers of Glendale, NEPC or Hotel Green Hill.
I wouldnt reccomend Green Hill,nevertheless.

Speak to Rina @ Glendale on 094449 93176(m)/ 0423 220 6779(deskphone) / otter.rina@gmail.com.Sinnadorai is 6500 per night AI.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 20:38   #124
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Sinnadorai is 6500 per night AI.
This is from my conversation with Sujatha @ Sinnadorai - there is an additional charge of Rs.1700 for children under 10 yrs. I also plan to stay here one day during my trip later this month. So, I should have first hand feedback from my experience of both NEPC and Sinnadorai after the trip, hope that will help put things in perspective for comparison

Last edited by NPV : 17th May 2012 at 20:41.
Old 6th June 2012, 23:33   #125
BHPian

Waterfalls in and around Vaalparai?

I and my friends have planned to go on a trip this weekend starting Friday early morning. The purpose of the trip is to have a relaxed drive, have good food on the way, and finally and most importantly, visit a lot of waterfalls and take bath in them.

We have been to most parts of western ghats but not Vaalparai, hence zeroed in on this place. I would like to know if this area has a lot of falls, and if yes, a list of them. We don't mind considering any other place that has abdundant waterfalls and is around 100km from Vaalparai.

The car is Swift and we dont plan to hire a jeep, though we would love to visit secluded waterfalls, it has to be accessible with the Swift.

TIA.
Old 7th June 2012, 00:17   #126
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Waterfalls in and around Vaalparai??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
The purpose of the trip is to have a relaxed drive, have good food on the way, and finally and most importantly, visit a lot of waterfalls and take bath in them.

We have been to most parts of western ghats but not Vaalparai, hence zeroed in on this place. I would like to know if this area has a lot of falls, and if yes, a list of them. We don't mind considering any other place that has abdundant waterfalls and is around 100km from Vaalparai.

The car is Swift and we dont plan to hire a jeep, though we would love to visit secluded waterfalls, it has to be accessible with the Swift.

TIA.
The waterfalls/rivers that I know of in Valparai and nearby places are:
1. Monkey Falls - on the way to Valparai from Pollachi. When I visited last week there was almost no water here.
2. Koolangal river - this should be a good place to get into the water (read bath). I did not visit this place but heard it is good.
Other than these, there are several dams but I don't know of any other waterfalls.
Of course, you have Athirapilly and Vazhachal falls on the Kerala side but these are at least 3-4 hours drive from Valparai. Also, I did not see anyone right below these falls - the forest guards man the place and there is a barricade that visitors cannot go beyond.

Please search the route queries and travelogue sections for Valparai - there is a ton of information out there on places to see/visit.

Last edited by NPV : 7th June 2012 at 00:18.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 01:48   #127
BHPian

In addition to Athirapally falls ( about 100 kms from Valparai), the following post from my travelogue gives the list of waterfalls along with other places of interest around Valparai

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2784809

Almost all places around Valparai are accessible by Swift. It can take you to more places than you can imagine

Last edited by himavanth_m : 7th June 2012 at 01:50.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 10:23   #128
Team-BHP Support

I'll be in Valparai next week.

1) Is there enough water in the waterfalls?
2) Would the monsoons have hit by then - if yes, would it safe? (in case accessing the waterfall involves a trek)
Old 7th June 2012, 11:44   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. Monkey Falls - on the way to Valparai from Pollachi. When I visited last week there was almost no water here.

Please search the route queries and travelogue sections for Valparai - there is a ton of information out there on places to see/visit.
Hello @NPV

Can you please share your travalogue, including photos, places visited, and where you stayed? Cost of accommodation and food would also be of great help to us.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:37   #130
Senior - BHPian

When the monsoon is in full flow, Valparai would be lashed with such heavy rains that one need not visit a Waterfall separately, you could get yourself drenched to your heart's content.

@NPV, please share your feedback on NEPC guest house also how was the rains when you had visited.
Old 7th June 2012, 23:16   #131
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share your travalogue, including photos, places visited, and where you stayed? Cost of accommodation and food would also be of great help to us.
I haven't been able to find time yet for a travelogue, will try to post something this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
@NPV, please share your feedback on NEPC guest house also how was the rains when you had visited.
NEPC has 2 properties on opposite sides of the road. The location is awesome since it's near hair pin bend #31 (place is called Kavarkkal) which is a "Mist Spreading Zone".
One of the properties has 3 independent cottages next to each other with each having 3 Bed rooms and a living room. These have very basic amenities and aesthetically not too pleasing (old style basic homes found in typical hilly areas with mangalore tiled roof). The restaurant (if you can really call it that!) is a separate building opposite the cottages (in the same campus) that has a large dining area with old tables and plastic chairs. This also houses a kitchen. They are facing a shortage of staff so they are not running at full capacity. The rooms here are priced at Rs.3750/- a day. In my opinion this is not value for money.
On the opposite side of the road they have another property that has the chairman's bungalow (needless to say it's beautiful) and behind that there is a large bungalow with 5 Bed rooms, a kitchen, dining and Living/Drawing - each Bed room is rented out at Rs.4500/- a day. This place has much better rooms, amenities and quite well maintained compared to the other one.
Overall, NEPC simply cannot be compared with the place where I stayed - Sinnadorai's Bungalpw which is simply Awesome and the best place we have vacationed at !
Will post pictures and more details soon.

Last edited by NPV : 7th June 2012 at 23:22. Reason: typo
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 23:22   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't been able to find time yet for a travelogue, will try to post something this weekend.

NEPC has 2 properties on opposite sides of the road. The location is awesome since it's near hair pin bend #31 (place is called Kavarkkal) which is a "Mist Spreading Zone".
One of the properties has 3 independent cottages next to each other with each having 3 Bed rooms and a living room. These have very basic amenities and aesthetically not too pleasing (old style basic homes found in typical hilly areas with mangalore tiled roof). The restaurant (if you can really call it that!) is a separate building opposite the cottages (in the same campus) that has a large dining area with old tables and plastic chairs. This also houses a kitchen. They are facing a shortage of staff so they are not running at full capacity. The rooms here are priced at Rs.3750/- a day. In my opinion this is not value for money.
On the opposite side of the road they have another property that has the chairman's bungalow (needless to say it's beautiful) and behind that there is a large bungalow with 5 Bed rooms, a kitchen, dining and Living/Drawing - each Bed room is rented out at Rs.4500/- a day. This place has much better rooms, amenities and quite well maintained compared to the other one.
Will post pictures and more details soon.
Can you please clarify if Rs 3750 per day or Rs 4500 per day is the price per day per room, or is it for 3 or 5 rooms respectively? I am asking because if one takes a room or two, there still would be a 3 rd room or 4th and 5th room in which some unknown party might stay.

And I suppose the rate is for a couple, and may include food. Is there a check-in or check-out time?
Old 8th June 2012, 06:51   #133
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please clarify if Rs 3750 per day or Rs 4500 per day is the price per day per room, or is it for 3 or 5 rooms respectively? I am asking because if one takes a room or two, there still would be a 3 rd room or 4th and 5th room in which some unknown party might stay.

And I suppose the rate is for a couple, and may include food. Is there a check-in or check-out time?
Yes, one room is Rs.3750/- per day in property #1 (room is small here) and in Property #2 (room is bigger) one room is Rs.4500/- per day. This also includes 3 meals for a couple. For children under 10 they did not charge anything extra but for additional people there will be extra charges which you can find out if you talk to Sunil. Check in and Check out time was 12 noon (as mentioned in the email to me when I made the booking).
Also, you may end up with a situation where there are other familes/groups staying in the other rooms of the cottage. Luckily when we were there, the place had 3 families in all so each family occupied a separate cottage (one family was large enough to occupy all the rooms in one of the cottages).
I did not get a chance to see the properties of Waterfalls and Stanmore estates but I did stay at Sinnadorai's Bungalow which is excellent, more on that later in my travelogue.

Last edited by NPV : 8th June 2012 at 06:57.
Old 8th June 2012, 08:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
more on that later in my travelogue.
Waiting to see your travelogue NPV. I am more interested to know about the road conditions, weather and your stay as well.
Old 13th August 2012, 15:07   #135
BHPian

Bhailog, I'm driving to Valparai this Wednesday from Bangalore. So want to know the best route considering the current road conditions.
The NH is always the best & safest option, but TN state roads are good too!

And after a couple of days stay @ Valparai, I'll be continuing my journey to Trivandrum. Now how is the road from Valparai towards Kerala, and how much travel time should I expect considering slow pace in Kerala?

So please help me out on this!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks