Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 15:16   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
And after a couple of days stay @ Valparai, I'll be continuing my journey to Trivandrum. Now how is the road from Valparai towards Kerala, and how much travel time should I expect considering slow pace in Kerala?
The best road to Valparai:
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Valparai

Valparai-TVM:
Valparai-Chalakudy-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Chegannur-Kottakara-TVM.

It depends on where in TVM you are planning to stay.
This is only a suggestion. I dont know if MC road (Chalakudy-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam) is the best option today.
Need to check based on the monsoon conditions
Old 13th August 2012, 16:47   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bhailog, I'm driving to Valparai this Wednesday from Bangalore. So want to know the best route considering the current road conditions.
The NH is always the best & safest option, but TN state roads are good too!

And after a couple of days stay @ Valparai, I'll be continuing my journey to Trivandrum. Now how is the road from Valparai towards Kerala, and how much travel time should I expect considering slow pace in Kerala?

So please help me out on this!
Check with the resort where you are staying regarding the access to the tourist spots - after the SC ruling many popular spots in Valparai are out of bounds, as they are part of Anamalai Tiger Reserve.

Also the Valparai-Chalakkudy route needs to be re-checked, whether they allow traffic. I remember there was some confusion regarding the same, whether this comes under the core area of the sanctuary
Old 13th August 2012, 23:31   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Valparai-TVM:
Valparai-Chalakudy-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Chegannur-Kottakara-TVM.

It depends on where in TVM you are planning to stay.
This is only a suggestion. I dont know if MC road (Chalakudy-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam) is the best option today.
Need to check based on the monsoon conditions
Thanks Ampere! I'll be staying at NIIST guest house in Trivandrum. Directions to this place will be highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Check with the resort where you are staying regarding the access to the tourist spots - after the SC ruling many popular spots in Valparai are out of bounds, as they are part of Anamalai Tiger Reserve.

Also the Valparai-Chalakkudy route needs to be re-checked, whether they allow traffic. I remember there was some confusion regarding the same, whether this comes under the core area of the sanctuary
Thanks! I'll be staying at Waterfall Estates in Valparai. Called those guys and they told the highway is open now. There was some confusion initially after the SC order, but now things have been sorted out. Probably all side roads leading from the main highway to the jungle/view points around have been closed.

Also, how much travel time should I expect from Valparai till Trivandrum, considering I'll be driving with my wife & 20 months old son and hence my pace will be slow.

Last edited by asethi : 13th August 2012 at 23:33.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:33   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, how much travel time should I expect from Valparai till Trivandrum, considering I'll be driving with my wife & 20 months old son and hence my pace will be slow.
Budget for around 6-7hrs of drive time for the approx 350+ km distance.Driving through Kerala is a hugely different thing as compared to the rest of the country as an average speed of 40-50kph is considered "fast".
Old 14th August 2012, 07:53   #140
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@asethi, route mentioned by amp is perfect and roads are in great condition. If this is your first time on this route, make sure you keep the names of the towns handy and some landmarks for the turnoff's. After Palladam, the next town on your route is Pollachi, then Aliyar Dam and onto the ghat road to Valparai from there.

Quote:
Thanks! I'll be staying at Waterfall Estates in Valparai
Waterfalls Estate is on the way to Valparai town so you will reach this without having to traverse all 40 hair pin bends from Aliyar

Last edited by NPV : 14th August 2012 at 07:59.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:42   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! I'll be staying at Waterfall Estates in Valparai. Called those guys and they told the highway is open now. There was some confusion initially after the SC order, but now things have been sorted out. Probably all side roads leading from the main highway to the jungle/view points around have been closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Waterfalls Estate is on the way to Valparai town so you will reach this without having to traverse all 40 hair pin bends from Aliyar
There are many entrances to Waterfall estate. And as @NPV said the first one is on the 26th hair pin bend. The good thing is that, these hairpins
bends are not like the ones on the Ooty Masinagudi section.

The other good part is that of the total distance of 450 km to Valparai, ghat sections comprises of only 20km to the Waterfall estate. Also as @NPV said following are the exit points:

1. Beyond Salem get into Perundurai town (You will see a exit board for the town about 2km before on the GQ). Ask for the Kangeyam road.
2. At Kangeyam you come across a huge cross road. Turn right to Palladam.
3. At Palladam, before the main circle/signal you should see an exit to the left for Pollachi.
4. At Pollachi confusion is the word! You will have to ask some one for the road to Aliyar or Valparai.

You can break for lunch at Pollachi. Two places which I can recommend: Nivethas Inn and Sri Shakthi resorts

Last edited by ampere : 14th August 2012 at 08:43.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:14   #142
BHPian

Thanks for all the help & suggestions guys! I returned from a just awesome trip last night! The ultimate destination was Kanyakumari, and it was worth it!
Here's a picture uploaded on FB just for reference:

Ankush Sethi's Photos | Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Budget for around 6-7hrs of drive time for the approx 350+ km distance.Driving through Kerala is a hugely different thing as compared to the rest of the country as an average speed of 40-50kph is considered "fast".
It took me 12 hrs to reach Trivandrum, really! It was a thrilling experience to drive through the jungle in full rain, but driving in Kerala was real pain.
Took me 1.5hrs to just cross Kochi, followed by an average speed of 25kmph after that. Rain & drizzle added to the woes. But I loved the Trivandrum city, neat & clean!

Quote:
@asethi, route mentioned by amp is perfect and roads are in great condition. If this is your first time on this route, make sure you keep the names of the towns handy and some landmarks for the turnoff's. After Palladam, the next town on your route is Pollachi, then Aliyar Dam and onto the ghat road to Valparai from there.

Followed the above said route, and reached Waterfall estates without any issues. What a place man, awesome is simply the word!

Quote:
There are many entrances to Waterfall estate. And as @NPV said the first one is on the 26th hair pin bend. The good thing is that, these hairpins
bends are not like the ones on the Ooty Masinagudi section.

The other good part is that of the total distance of 450 km to Valparai, ghat sections comprises of only 20km to the Waterfall estate. Also as @NPV said following are the exit points:

1. Beyond Salem get into Perundurai town (You will see a exit board for the town about 2km before on the GQ). Ask for the Kangeyam road.
2. At Kangeyam you come across a huge cross road. Turn right to Palladam.
3. At Palladam, before the main circle/signal you should see an exit to the left for Pollachi.
4. At Pollachi confusion is the word! You will have to ask some one for the road to Aliyar or Valparai.

You can break for lunch at Pollachi. Two places which I can recommend: Nivethas Inn and Sri Shakthi resorts
Thanks, everything was taken care! And I found the directions easily, thanks to the GPS and it even allowed me to pass Polachi easily!
For the lunch, we stopped at a dhaba just before or rather at the right turn to Palladam, and food was decent.

Last edited by asethi : 21st August 2012 at 15:18.
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:04   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning of Valparai trip on 1st Nov. Plan is to start early (~3AM) from Bangalore and take Salem- Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi route since read that NH widening till Avinashi from Salem side is done. Else would have taken the Perundurai-Kangeyam deviation. Any input on how Avinashi - Palladam road is?
Planning of reaching Valparai (Sinadoorai) by around 2.30 PM since there will be couple of breaks in between (breakfast, Aliyar dam etc)
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:35   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
Planning of Valparai trip on 1st Nov. Plan is to start early (~3AM) from Bangalore and take Salem- Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi route since read that NH widening till Avinashi from Salem side is done. Else would have taken the Perundurai-Kangeyam deviation. Any input on how Avinashi - Palladam road is?
Planning of reaching Valparai (Sinadoorai) by around 2.30 PM since there will be couple of breaks in between (breakfast, Aliyar dam etc)
Sinnadorai should begin to offer discounts to Tbhpians
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:50   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Dont go via Avinashi-Palladam. Take the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam option. Thats much better,
If you start by 3AM, there wont be much options for BF. If you start at 4/4:30 you should be in time for a BF in Salem at around 7AM.

Assuming an hour max and if you start by 8, it takes 1 hours to Perundurai, 0.5 hour to Kangeyam, 40 minutes to Palladam and another 1 hour
max to Pollachi. You should be in Pollachi by 12PM. Aliyar is about 20km from Pollachi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 09:30   #146
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Planning of Valparai trip on 1st Nov. Plan is to start early (~3AM) from Bangalore and take Salem- Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi route since read that NH widening till Avinashi from Salem side is done.
Quote:
Dont go via Avinashi-Palladam. Take the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam option. Thats much better,
If you start by 3AM, there wont be much options for BF. If you start at 4/4:30 you should be in time for a BF in Salem at around 7AM.

Assuming an hour max and if you start by 8, it takes 1 hours to Perundurai, 0.5 hour to Kangeyam, 40 minutes to Palladam and another 1 hour
max to Pollachi. You should be in Pollachi by 12PM. Aliyar is about 20km from Pollachi.
Suhas - As Amp has suggested, take the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam route, very good roads though 2 lane it has sparse traffic. Since you're starting early you will not encounter much town traffic as well in Perundurai and Kangeyam.
Refer Post #136 and #140 here for more information on the route.
For breakfast stop you can consider Sri Annalakshmi at Perundurai on the NH47 itself, details here

Last edited by NPV : 24th October 2012 at 09:33.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 09:19   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Sinnadorai should begin to offer discounts to Tbhpians
Had called them up to talk about room preference. As soon as I said I wanted specific room, Mr Rajeev asked if Iam from TBHP.

Quote:

Ok, will take Kangeyam route itself then. Had thought of a start around 3AM so as to be in Valparai around 2- 2.30 PM. Since planning to stop at Aliyar dam and also for breakfast on way. Also I will be the only driver. So thinking will start at 3 AM from Bangalore itself and instead of Salem will stop at Perundurai.

Quote:
Suhas - As Amp has suggested, take the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam route, very good roads though 2 lane it has sparse traffic. Since you're starting early you will not encounter much town traffic as well in Perundurai and Kangeyam.
Refer Post #136 and #140 here for more information on the route.
For breakfast stop you can consider Sri Annalakshmi at Perundurai on the NH47 itself, details here
Narayan, thanks for the hotel information. Will plan breakfast at Perundurai.
Old 5th November 2012, 13:13   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore- Valparai- Chalakudy- Bangalore trip last weekend.

Stay in Valparai was at Sinnadorai Bunglow, as mentioned by many found the place superb and worth the money. Mentioning Google map direction till turn to Sinnadorai, road from this turn (between Rotikadai and Valparai) to Sinnadorai is Parrys estates private road and not displayed in Google maps. You need to travel around 4Km's inside estate road to reach bunglow-
Sinnadorai direction from 40th hairpin bend to Sinnadorai turn - http://goo.gl/maps/XpmU1

Sinnadorai location on map - http://goo.gl/maps/4fef2
Though in map if you check location of Sinnarodai you will find it mentioned as Balaji temple road that is another location by itself. So please dont get confused by the same.

Roads all the way from Bangalore is fine, only bad patch is on GQ between KA border to Krishnagiri. 6 laning and rains have done their bit on making road not worth the toll you pay. Once you cross Krishnagiri traffic thins and roads are butter smooth. As per suggestions in posts above by NPV and ampere took deviation from Perundurai after having breakfast at Annalakshmi (Point B) on map and then took Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam- Pollachi route.
Timing:
Bangalore 04:00
Salem 07:00
Annalakshmi hotel (Perundurai): 08:10 - 30 Mins break
Kangeyam: 09:25
Palladam: 10:15
Pollachi: 11:30 (Lost about 15mins in Pollachi after missing turn to Valparai)
Aliyar Dam: 12:20 (About 15 mins break)
Valparai -Sinnadorai Bunglow - 14:15 (Could be done bit more faster, I had stopped for pics about 4 times and it started raining heavily from 20th hair pin onwards).

For Sinnadorai after 40th hairpin bend you need to take right (towards valparai) and continue for around 3 kms, you will reach place called Rotikadai, there you need to take left proceed for around 500 mts and then you will find entry to Parrys estates on left (final point on map I shared). You need to proceed in that road for around 4 KMs to reach Sinnadorai.

http://goo.gl/maps/4v0gA
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:15   #149
Senior - BHPian

Did a trip to Valparai early this week and stayed in Waterfall Estate - Valley View bungalow. The experience is simply amazing.

I must say, if you really want to enjoy the trip & stay at valparai, staying at Waterfall Estate cottages gives you a memorable experience, although it is in half-way (28th hairpin bend) towards valaparai town.
Don't ever think of staying in regular hotels inside valparai town just to save few hundred bucks, unless you are dependent on public transportation to use bus facility. It is not worth it, rather spend little more and enjoy the stay thoroughly.

Special mention to the care taker/cook in Valley View bungalow. His name is Raja Durai (Ph: 09486209641) and he is a very humble/loyal employee to his boss for couple of decades. He cooks really really yummy & hygienic vegetarian food. It is again one of the compelling reasons to stay in Valley View bungalow and you won't forget this person. I couldn't find any "pure veg" restaurant anywhere in valparai, so those who are not comfortable in eating veg food in a non-veg hotel, Valley view is the place to go to get home food.

Also, all Waterfall Estate - bungalows accommodation is handled by Rasha (she is the Estate director's wife) and was very kind and helpful in all aspects, although most of the discussion with her will be through phone.

To reach Valley view bungalow- after you cross 28th hairpin bend, you will come across Waterfall Postoffice / Police station in one of the turns. Don't go beyond that. In that police station / post office turn itself, there is a small road going inside. Get into that road in which you can see a small school in front of you (in 100 metres) and a side road going down towards right. Take the small right road and keep going, and you can see the boards for Valley View.

I did took a quick look at next high end cottage (Indraprastha) of Waterfalls Estate, which is about 1000 rupees more than valley view. It gives even more royal experience & spacious, but it is bit more expensive.

On return journey, started from
Valparai at 11:30 am
Aliyar dam - 12:30 pm
Pollachi - 1 pm
Palladam - 2 pm
Kangeyam - 2:30 pm
Perundurai - 3:15 pm to 4 pm (45 mts break at annalakshmi hotel in perundurai which is in Salem-Coimbatore highway)
Salem - 5:15 pm
Krishnagiri/Chinnar A2B (1 hr break)- 7 pm to 8 pm
Silkboard at 9 pm

The roads are awesome throughout. 2 lane widening is in progress between pollachi-palladam & they are tarring the road again between Kangeyam-perundurai which is already in good condition.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 7th February 2013 at 16:27.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 20:17   #150
BHPian

Friends,

I am planning a trip to Valparai with family next week so wanted to confirm on doing the suggested route in this thread considering the current road conditions and the ride:

Drive: Honda City (ANHC)

Route:

Stop for breakfast at Annalakshmi (Perundurai)

Otions for Lunch: Nivethas Inn and Sri Shakthi resorts

Awaiting inputs/suggestions

Thanks in advance
Kiran

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks