Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 10:09   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

When is a good season to visit Valparai? I am not looking for trekking or Forest Safari. Would it be a good idea to visit in the next 2 weeks. I am worried about the heavy rains in Kerala and the fact that dams are almost full.
Old 27th September 2013, 10:22   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
When is a good season to visit Valparai? I am not looking for trekking or Forest Safari. Would it be a good idea to visit in the next 2 weeks. I am worried about the heavy rains in Kerala and the fact that dams are almost full.
TO me the right time would be Nov/Dec. It would be cold and misty, water bodies full and no rain! Perfect season to stay in an estate bungalow in a tea estate, sip tea and walk in the fields watching the sun rise!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 10:42   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rains have subsided in kerala and surrounding regions compared to what it was during the Onam week.Its ok to go there in the next two weeks.But I doubt you would get bookings thanks to the Pooja holidays and long weekends for the next two weeks.Stay in a tea estate,dont go looking for those homestays-they are all very shady.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 11:30   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Perfect season to stay in an estate bungalow in a tea estate, sip tea and walk in the fields watching the sun rise!
This is exactly my idea of vacation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Stay in a tea estate,dont go looking for those homestays-they are all very shady.
If I go to Valparai, I wan't to stay in Sinnadorai's Bunglow. I am highly doubtful that I will get bookings. My dates are also not confirmed

I am thinking of visiting Valparai on the way to my home town. Stay at Valparai for a night and continue to vaikom via Chalakkudy. Is the Valparai - Chalakkudy road safe? My risk appetite is very less
Old 27th September 2013, 11:35   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I go to Valparai, I wan't to stay in Sinnadorai's Bunglow. I am highly doubtful that I will get bookings. My dates are also not confirmed
Please not Sinnadorai does not have a TV in their rooms,just so that you are prepared in advance.

Quote:
I am thinking of visiting Valparai on the way to my home town. Stay at Valparai for a night and continue to vaikom via Chalakkudy. Is the Valparai - Chalakkudy road safe? My risk appetite is very less
Possible to do it.Early morning start from Bangalore to reach Valparai by 11,but imo 1night just wouldnt do any justice.Neither can you enjoy Valparai's beauty nor Sinnadorai's

We were headed to Valparai for a friend's marriage from thrissur and we were advised to come via pollachi as the chalakudy-valparai road was apparently very bad after the Onam rains as advised by the people in valparai.However we couldnt make it to Valparai so no clue of its present condition.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 11:48   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Ranjit said, 1 night does not do any justice. Give it at least 2-3 days. Apart from Sinnadorai, you can also try Waterfall Estate.

With 4 AM from Bangalore you should be in Valparai for lunch.

4AM Bangalore, 7AM Salem (BF)
9AM Perundurai
9:30 : Kangeyam
10:15 : Palladam
11:30 Pollachi
1PM : Valparai (Max)
Old 27th September 2013, 14:34   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I go to Valparai, I wan't to stay in Sinnadorai's Bunglow. I am highly doubtful that I will get bookings.
Is the Valparai - Chalakkudy road safe? My risk appetite is very less
For sipping tea and watching sun set Sinnadorai's is best location. Had visited last Nov and loved the place.
Valparai - Chalakkudy route is safe. Not sure of the condition post monsoon but do make a point to start from Valparai bit late (~ 8 AM or later) to be on safer side. Else you may come across elephants crossing the road.

Ampere's itenary can be followed easily. My addition - On way try stopping at Aliyar dam.
Also if starting at 4AM you can reach Perundurai by 8:00AM and stop there for breakfast. You can check the route taken by me at post no 148 here
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 14:41   #173
Team-BHP Support

Here are some snaps I had posted some time back. Amazing place to walk.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2779532
Old 27th September 2013, 15:07   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
R.But I doubt you would get bookings thanks to the Pooja holidays and long weekends
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

4AM Bangalore, 7AM Salem (BF)
9AM Perundurai
9:30 : Kangeyam
10:15 : Palladam
11:30 Pollachi
1PM : Valparai (Max)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For sipping tea and watching sun set Sinnadorai's is best location.
Valparai - Chalakkudy route is safe. Not sure of the condition post monsoon but do make a point to start from Valparai bit late (~ 8 AM or later) to be on safer side. My addition - On way try stopping at Aliyar dam.
Also if starting at 4AM you can reach Perundurai by 8:00AM and stop there for breakfast. You can check the route taken by me at post no 148 here
Just spoke to Mr Rajeev of Sinnadorai and they are full on the next 2 weekends. I will not be able to start at 4:00 AM but when I start at 5:00 AM during my drives to Kochi, I usually stop for breakfast at Annalakshmi at 8:45 AM. So as per Ampere's calculation, I should be able to reach Valparai at 1:00 itself. Looks like I have to plan in November.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:55   #175
BHPian

Quote:
. Is the Valparai - Chalakkudy road safe? My risk appetite is very less
I traveled Valparai-Chalakudy on the day before Onam. Barring a bad stretch of about 10-12kms (after crossing over to Kerala), the roads are fantastic, albeit single. However, there is very minimum traffic till Athirapally water falls. Further, the locals advised to leave only after 7AM as there'd be lot of elephants (and we saw lot of elephant dung on the road). We didn't see any elephants, but one deer was caught b/w us on side and another vehicle on the opposite. It panicked a bit, but quickly managed to disappear.

There are two forest checkposts that keep a track of vehicles and folks crossing over, so I do not expect any mischief. However, please be warned that you'd be cruising in a thick forest with very little traffic.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 20:37   #176
BHPian

Hi guys,
Planning to visit Valparai on 13th November. Is it a good time to visit the place?. I will be starting from Madurai around 11AM and planning to reach before 6 PM. This is the route i am planning to take. Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Palani - Pollachi - Valparai. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...m&z=10&vpsrc=6
How are the road conditions? Will be staying there for two days and start back by 16th Morning. Also let me know where to fill petrol in Pollachi. My Fiesta's fuel gauge will show 1/4th of the tank available by the time i reach there.This is the first time i am going to drive in ghat roads, is there any special precaution(s) to be taken?
Old 5th November 2013, 20:57   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
How are the road conditions? Will be staying there for two days and start back by 16th Morning. Also let me know where to fill petrol in Pollachi. My Fiesta's fuel gauge will show 1/4th of the tank available by the time i reach there.This is the first time i am going to drive in ghat roads, is there any special precaution(s) to be taken?
A couple of mentions:

- You don't need to go all the way till Pollachi to turn towards Valparai.
- After Udumalpet, you should see a diversion to Aliyar at Mukhonam. It would take you to Sungam on the Pollachi-Aliyar road.

See this TL for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-valparai.html
Old 6th November 2013, 10:33   #178
BHPian

@ampere

Any idea on the route info from Valparai to Kadamparai. Planning to visit the dam there, would like to know the route condition / things to note.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:34   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@ampere

Any idea on the route info from Valparai to Kadamparai. Planning to visit the dam there, would like to know the route condition / things to note.
No idea there. I did not visit that dam and neither have any idea of the road from Valparai town. It might be a good idea to call the estate guys there and check. Even I would be curious to know their response!
Old 7th November 2013, 11:14   #180
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to visit Valparai next week. I have the bookings done in waterfall estate. What's the best route to take, i am planning to start early morning around 4:30 Am from Bangalore and reach Valparai by lunch time.

Should i take the Perundurai . Kangayam route via Palladam & Pollachi.
Or is there any other better route to reach there.

I would have max one stop for breakfast for 30 minutes odd.

Also any ideas how the weather in Valparai would be, accuweather shows thunderstorms and rain. for next weekend.

All inputs are welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks