Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 14:16   #316
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Topslip - Valparai - Athirapally Travel Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Please suggest a stay option for 26th Night. Which is better, Topslip or Parambikulam tiger reserve?
- Also suggest what to see.
Access to Parambikulam is via Top Slip. At Top Slip, the Tamil Nadu forest department has stay options, do look them up. Further ahead on the Kerala side you have Parambikulam. I do not have an idea about accommodation options at Top Slip. The cottages inside Parambikulam are eco friendly and closer to nature with barebone amenities, I think these will be much more scenic as they are closer to water bodies.
If you don't find accommodation at Top Slip and or Parambikulam you can consider staying at Pollachi.
We stayed at Pollachi and did a day trip to Parambikulam. Details in my travelogue here

On things to do/places to see - you can take Safari rides at Top Slip and Parambikulam. Top slip also has Elephant rides.

Last edited by NPV : 5th December 2016 at 14:20.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 21:13   #317
BHPian

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

I am planning a family trip to Valparai on 28/12/16 from Calicut. Since i had finalised the place two days somehow i managed to get Sirukundra Bunglaw for a one night stay. Any info about the route to Valparai via Athriapally and stay would be helpful.
Old 27th December 2016, 13:15   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I am planning a family trip to Valparai on 28/12/16 from Calicut. Since i had finalised the place two days somehow i managed to get Sirukundra Bunglaw for a one night stay. Any info about the route to Valparai via Athriapally and stay would be helpful.
I'd suggest you go via Palakkad, Pollachi and return via Athirappilly. The 40 hp bends on Pollachi - Valparai road is a pleasure to drive. The Valparai - Chalakudi road is also in good shape, except a few kms near the border at Malakkapara (I travelled one year back, may be it is good now!)

Try Waterfall Estate Bungalows (they are some 12 kms before Valparai when coming from Pollachi, but higher in altitude than Valparai and their Indraprastha Bungalow is very good). Or Misty Creek in Valparai town itself.
Old 27th December 2016, 14:04   #319
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Any info about the route to Valparai via Athriapally and stay would be helpful.
Assuming you're starting from Kozhikode, take the route via the Calicut university-Kottakkal-Kunnamkulam bypass (go via Kecheri-Pannithadam road)-Trichur bypass (Amala institutions & Sobha City road)-Chalakudy-Athirapally-Malakkapara-Valparai.

Stay options - not too many hotels, best is to stay at any of the estate bungalows like Sinnadorai, Waterfall, etc.
Old 28th December 2016, 19:33   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
The Valparai - Chalakudi road is also in good shape, except a few kms near the border at Malakkapara (I travelled one year back, may be it is good now!)
No change in road condition. Just back from Athirapally-Valparai trip.
Old 25th September 2017, 14:43   #321
BHPian

Bangalore to Pollachi, Valparai, Athirapalli

We are driving to Pollachi, Valparai, Athirapalli this weekend (29 Sep -04 Oct) 4 of us in my Honda City iVTEC
Here's the itinerary:

29th Sep - Bangalore to Pollachi.
30th Sep - Pollachi to Aliyar Dam and reach Valparai
1st Oct - Stay Valparai
2nd Oct - Stay Valparai
3rd Oct - Valparai to Athirapalli, stay either at Chalakudy, Thrissur or Palakkad(Undecided)
4th Oct - Drive down to Bangalore

I need help on these questions!
  1. Which is the best route from Bangalore to Pollachi?
  2. Good places to stop by on the Coimbatore highway?
  3. Condition of the roads from Valparai to Athirapalli - Has anyone of you been there in a couple of weeks? I saw some videos of heavy rain in the area and a couple of landslides
  4. Best route back to Bangalore from Athirapalli

Any recommendations would help!
Old 25th September 2017, 16:43   #322
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Pollachi, Valparai, Athirapalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha_snh View Post

I need help on these questions!
  1. Condition of the roads from Valparai to Athirapalli - Has anyone of you been there in a couple of weeks? I saw some videos of heavy rain in the area and a couple of landslides

Any recommendations would help!
Did Chennai to Valparai last month. Answer to your above query,
Valparai to Athirapalli - Took the sholaiyar route through some dense forest. Roads are good throughout but it was raining cats and dogs and hence there were unmotorable patches here and there. Went during a Monday and the traffic was very sparse in this route but good rush/crowd in the falls from the Kerala side.
Check post folks demanded to return by 3PM and hence was unable to enjoy the falls to the fullest. No reasons cited but seen elephant dung almost in the entire stretch.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 11:08   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Valparai to Athirapalli
How is the water level at the falls? Is it worth a visit? Any food options near the falls?
What was your travel time from Valparai to the falls? Is there any entry time restriction at the checkpost similar to the 3PM return restriction?

My trip is slated for Oct end. I plan to depart Valparai early morning for Athirapalli and stop at sholayar on the way back.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 9th October 2017 at 11:12.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:51   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
How is the water level at the falls? Is it worth a visit? Any food options near the falls?
When we went, water flow was normal. Seen people having a dip at the upper level (designated areas) and the falls at the lower level was breathtaking. Mind you, the way down was tiresome but worth it.
Quote:
Any food options near the falls?
Seen multiple food joints at Athirapally, but didnt taste any due to time constraints.
Quote:
What was your travel time from Valparai to the falls? Is there any entry time restriction at the checkpost similar to the 3PM return restriction?
We started at 10AM and reached the falls at 1PM. It was raining and hence this slow drive. Not sure about the entry time, but was asked to report at KL checkpost by 3PM as against the norm of 6PM.

Quote:
My trip is slated for Oct end. I plan to depart Valparai early morning for Athirapalli and stop at sholayar on the way back.
Very much doable but enquire on the return time to checkpost since once closed, you need to take the Thrissur route to reach TN.

Note 1: Read on FB recently that the water flow in Athirapally has increased and hence the view to falls is closed. Better check with locals in Valparai and then make your trip.
Note 2: Ticket counter is located at the Checkpost from KL entry and hence do not park on the TN side. We did this mistake and walked down to the counter which drained my energy.
Note 3: If the falls is open, first visit the bottom and then spend some time at the upper level. You will be completely drenched so take precautionary measures.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:28   #325
BHPian

Thanks for all the info!

I plan to leave early morning. Hopefully that will give me more time to spend at the falls.

Note 1 and 3 noted. I read a number of folks reporting about the walk down and getting wet. Sounds great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

Note 2: Ticket counter is located at the Checkpost from KL entry and hence do not park on the TN side. We did this mistake and walked down to the counter which drained my energy.

About note 2: I did not understand. Are you saying that while arriving from Valparai I should not park when I see cars and instead continue driving till I reach the checkpost, get the tickets, drive back and then park?
Old 9th October 2017, 14:53   #326
BHPian

Quote:
About note 2: I did not understand. Are you saying that while arriving from Valparai I should not park when I see cars and instead continue driving till I reach the checkpost, get the tickets, drive back and then park?
Yes, its a U turn. Valparai - Athirapally falls entrance - KL checkpost (Ticket counter).
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:43   #327
BHPian

Re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Any info on Sinnadorai Bungalow in valparai? How good it is? There is no contact number and the tariff mentioned is steep. Is it worth it? We are a grp of 6 guys. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:59   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Any info on Sinnadorai Bungalow in valparai? How good it is? There is no contact number and the tariff mentioned is steep. Is it worth it? We are a grp of 6 guys. Any help will be appreciated.
Sinnadorai was the best option in Valparai, I had visited few years back and found them worth the amount quoted.

However, this was some 5 years back and their tariff was comparatively less. The manager who was there that time has moved out now, not sure who is the current manager. However, you can try Rajeev who was the caretaker when I visited - 9488024500 / 04253222362, I guess he is still with Sinnadorai.

Agree their price is bit steep now, you can see travelogues with details of Sinnadorai in TBHP before making a call.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:03   #329
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Sinnadorai was a great place when we visited few years ago, probably the best one there. Please do check with them about their policy, I remember the host mentioning they do not prefer to have groups of guys.

Alternately, try the Waterfall/Stanmore/Woodbriar groups bungalows, those are good too and not as expensive as Sinnadorai. I believe there is an extensive list of such stay options for Valparai on this thread, please look up earlier posts.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd November 2017 at 18:07.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:50   #330
Senior - BHPian

If you really want isolation try this place:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/agb...as-estate.html

Nothing fancy. Just a place in the middle of nowhere for guys to chill laugh and have fun.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks