Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Valparai - Stay and other info

Guys
i am planning a drive to COIMBATORE from CHennai and then further to Valparai..

I have the following queries

1) best route to take in the current scenario given road conditions to be taken from CHENNAI - CBE . would really appreciate suggestions on some stopping points for food etc

2) i searched the net extensively but am not able to find a good accomodation option in Valparai. only decent website was of someone who provides homestays etc. but no reviews available.
has anyone stayed in a good hotel at valparai ? ( family types ) -
and the all important question - WHERE TO GET GOOD VEG FOOD IN VALPARAI

thanks guys... planning to start by this thursday - so pls help out soon

Regards
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 10:21   #2
BHPian

Hi,

Route to valparai: Coimbatore-pollachi-Aliyar-monkeyfalls-Rottikadai-valparai.

Infact you can stop and spend some time in Aliyar Dam and also in Monkey falls. Since you have planned on thursday there should not be much of a crowd.

There are quiet a good qty of resorts aroung valparai. Last time i stayed in a place called Mudis..10kms from valparai town. There were 3 guest houses in a beautiful locations with a cook. To get it kinldy get in touch with BBTC office( Bombay Burma Trading company) located in mudis.

Regards
shailu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Hotel Green Hill. This is the only Place to Stay / Veg Food. Quite decent one.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Though most in the forum would advocate the Perundurai - Bhavani route, my advice for you is to take the Thoppur - Mettur - Sathyamangalam route. Peaceful drive all the way with good road conditions even on SH's. The best accomodation in Valparai is to stay in one of the Estate bungalows. You could take shailu's suggestion and explore the BBTC option.

You could check these two but am sure they would be quite expensive

Tea Bungalows - Tea Plantation,Tea Tourism, Munnar,Valparai, Meghamalai,Tea,Tea Museum, Farm Tourism, Tea Factory Visit

Homestays and Guest Houses in Kerala and South India

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 15th September 2009 at 12:34.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

thanks Shailu, Manav - unfortunately the guesthouses are not being offered for now. but the person there also recommended Hotel green hill. so i will go with that

guys - pls provide your suggestions for the Chennai - Coimbatore route

thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 12:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

thanks Srikanth - can u pls tell me the full route ?

also i checked all the links and options seems to come down to

1) tea estate bungalows - most expensive option
2) hotel green hills or krishna lodge

so will try the latter since most of the time we wont be staying in the room
Old 15th September 2009, 16:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Though most in the forum would advocate the Perundurai - Bhavani route, my advice for you is to take the Thoppur - Mettur - Sathyamangalam route. Peaceful drive all the way with good road conditions even on SH's.
SH Becomes crowded and one gets tired. I did that and It took more time. Best would be to go via Selam and then Avinashi-Tiruporur-Pollachi-Valparai.At least the National Highway one can drive fast.

Last edited by manavdotcom : 15th September 2009 at 16:24.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
SH Becomes crowded and one gets tired. I did that and It took more time. Best would be to go via Selam and then Avinashi-Tiruporur-Pollachi-Valparai.At least the National Highway one can drive fast.
i assume you meant Tiruppur. Actually the better option is to go via Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipettai from here take the road towards Anaimalai, around 10 kms after Udumalaipettai you would meet the road which goes to Valparai from Pollachi, a left here you are on towards Aliyar Dam. When I came back from Valparai I took the following route from Dharapuram.

Dharapuram - Karur - Kulithalai - Musiri - Thurayur - Perambalur - Villupuram - Chennai

But in this case I think Narayan wants to go to Coimbatore and then from there onto Pollachi.

@ Narayan The exact route from Chennai is Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri (Byepass) - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Andhiyur - Athani - Sathyamangalam - Puliyampatti - Annur, depending on where you want to go in Coimbatore you could either come back to NH47 at Karumathampatti by taking a detour from Annur or continue onward towards Coimbatore which would take you straight to Gandhipuram bus stand.

This would give you an idea of the route
Valparai - Stay and other info-map.jpg
Old 15th September 2009, 22:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanks Srikanth - u got me right - i will be going to CBE first and THEN a day later to Valparai..

so i will take the CHN - CBE route as given by you since i have to stop at Lakshmi mills
Old 28th September 2009, 22:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Though most in the forum would advocate the Perundurai - Bhavani route, my advice for you is to take the Thoppur - Mettur - Sathyamangalam route. Peaceful drive all the way with good road conditions even on SH's. The best accomodation in Valparai is to stay in one of the Estate bungalows. You could take shailu's suggestion and explore the BBTC option.

You could check these two but am sure they would be quite expensive

Tea Bungalows - Tea Plantation,Tea Tourism, Munnar,Valparai, Meghamalai,Tea,Tea Museum, Farm Tourism, Tea Factory Visit

Homestays and Guest Houses in Kerala and South India
Srikanth - u were perfect in ur recomendation.

from Chennai, i was intending to take the route u suggested but i dint even know that the road from west tambaram leads to GST !! i ended up taking the ulundurpettai, salem bypass route to CBE and it WAS HORRENDOUS !! took nearly 10 hrs and roads were really bad from the deviation before Ulundurpettai

on the way back, took the CBE - SATHY-METTUR -KRISHNAGIRI-CHENNAI route - its around 30km more than the GST route but is truly amazing. just about took 8 hrs that too at a very relaxed pace and the stretch CBE-METTUR is realy great - superb country roads and it makes for great driving

thanks for the suggestion
Old 29th September 2009, 08:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
thanks Shailu, Manav - unfortunately the guesthouses are not being offered for now. but the person there also recommended Hotel green hill. so i will go with that

guys - pls provide your suggestions for the Chennai - Coimbatore route

thanks
Hotel Green Hills is where i stayed and it's one of the good hotels in Valparai. They have ample secure parking space in the ground floor. Rooms are pretty decent.
Old 29th September 2009, 09:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
from Chennai, i was intending to take the route u suggested but i dint even know that the road from west tambaram leads to GST !! i ended up taking the ulundurpettai, salem bypass route to CBE and it WAS HORRENDOUS !! took nearly 10 hrs and roads were really bad from the deviation before Ulundurpettai

thanks for the suggestion
My pleasure always, what you could have done is once you reach Tambaram take up the byepass at Irumbuliyur onto Madhuravayol and then join the NH4 and continue via Vellore, Krishnagiri. We alll make mistakes and I have made more than enough of my share though I have to admit its only through mistakes we learn new routes atleast in my case.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

I could have posted this in the Kerala thread, but since, it was specific to Valparai, thought it would more appropriate in this thread.

Question: While going down from Pollachi to Valparai, if one needs to goto Sholayar, he needs to take a right diversion at some point before Valparai (The place is called Rotikadai) and drive for about 20km.

Now the Valparai road leads to Chalakudi. But when I reached Sholayar dam, I also saw buses going ahead on the same road. When I asked folks around, I was told, that the same road also leads to the Kerala border. Where does this road lead to, if the Valparai SH is the road, one needs to take to Chalakudy? Is there a faster access to Chalakudy via Sholayar?
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:29   #14
BHPian

One of my friend is planning for a Valparai trip with family this weekend. Would like to know the staying options currently.

still Hotel Green Hills is the only decent option or we have any other new decent resorts/hotels available there?
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

The best is waterfall estate.

Glendale Stays - Plantation Guest House Holidays. Eco Tours & Eco Trails

Thanks to @Bigzero, who pointed me to this place! One word to describe: Fantastic!
They have tea estate Bungalows with rooms in each bungalow can be booked separately. Each bungalow has a butler. Hence it makes sense to book the whole (go there in a bigger company) place. Else potentially the other rooms can be occupied by some other family also.

Rates reasonable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks