Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 13:19   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwadhwa View Post
ok, so an edit to the last post - the tyres are 195/15/60, not 195/16/60.

Came back to Bangalore yesterday via the Theni route.
Much better than cochin, but takes as long!
I covered the first 120 kms in 4 hours - thanks to the ghat section and narrow roads.. slow route, but very picturesque!
After that I continued on to Theni - road is very dusty till here, couldn't do more than 80kph, and then Dindigul, where I finally started catching up speed - NH7 all the way after that.
The tolls are pretty expensive - I spent close to 250 bucks on this road, but worth every penny.
I suggest take the Theni route hands down..
Took me 12 hours again. Stopped at Salem for lunch, new place called GRT international, they serve up a very good dinner buffet.

Cheers!

I thought so Amit. When discussing with I had the same suggestion. But the problem, one cannot take this as an alternative, if you need to go to Cochin. The roundabout it too high. But for Kumarakom, its apt!
Old 7th December 2010, 13:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I thought so Amit. When discussing with I had the same suggestion. But the problem, one cannot take this as an alternative, if you need to go to Cochin. The roundabout it too high. But for Kumarakom, its apt!
Yup, , and I also would like to mention that the tolls in Kerala are pretty economical, 31 bucks for the entire stretch

While going to Kumarakom, I took a wrong turn into Cochin, was supposed to detour from outskirts somewhere, and my phone gps stopped telling me stuff for some reason, so I entered Cochin, and got stuck somewhere in "Majestic/Chikpet" type of traffic, that itself delayed me by an hour.
So well, i know where to go from next..
Will post up some pics soon, maybe in a day or two.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:54   #48
Team-BHP Support

Yes that is a risk. You need to get on to the Tripunithura via NH47 (place where its NH49; Munnar road).

I had no issues, as I was coming from Munnar via 49!
I took the 47 on the way back. But instead of Palakkad, I went to Trichur/Guruvayur and the returned via Nilambur/Mysore. That was an amazing drive.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I took the 47 on the way back. But instead of Palakkad, I went to Trichur/Guruvayur and the returned via Nilambur/Mysore. That was an amazing drive.
Can you share distance and road conditions + time taken if you are able to recollect please ?
Old 7th December 2010, 20:18   #50
Team-BHP Support

My routes :

Blr-Salem. Started by 2 and reached by 5 (Took a break)

Salem-Perindurai-Udumalpet-Munnar : Started by 11 and reached 6.
(Did not drive fast due to an infact. Thats reason for break as well)

(Standard route.)

Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Munnar, Kerala 685612 - Google Maps

Munnar-Adimali-Muvatupuzza-Kothamangalam-Tripunithura-Vaikom-Kumarakom
Started by 9 and reached by 1 Pm (About 150 km)

The Vaikom-Kumarakom route was not dug up then.

Aluva - Munnar Hwy/NH 49/SH 16/SH 44 to SH 42 - Google Maps

Return:

Kumarakom-Vaikom-Tripunithura-Angamaly-Trichur
Started at 8AM and reached Trichur at 1-2 PM (Including a 1 hour break at Vaikom temple)

120 Km

SH 42 to Unknown road - Google Maps

Guruvayur-Trichur
(40 minutes)
Kodungallur - Shornur Hwy/Shornur Hwy/SH 22 to Guruvayoor Choondal Rd - Google Maps

Guruvayur-Mysore (Via Nilambur)

Guruvayoor Choondal Rd to Vivekananda Rd - Google Maps

~300 Kkm.
Startet at 9AM after BF and reached by 5PM with lunch break at Bandipur Pugmarks. Stayed overnight, visited the Mysore temple and started the next day.

Mysore-BLR (Need I say anything! )
Old 10th December 2010, 11:16   #51
BHPian

re: Kumarakom - Bangalore : Route Queries

Thanks Amit for the route update. I am planning to drive Blr-Kumarakom in the end of the month.

This is 12 hours including the lunch break as Salem? What time did you start from Kumarakom?

Can you also comment on how the ghat sections (state of the road) and how long are they.

thanks!

Quote:
ok, so an edit to the last post - the tyres are 195/15/60, not 195/16/60.

Came back to Bangalore yesterday via the Theni route.
Much better than cochin, but takes as long!
I covered the first 120 kms in 4 hours - thanks to the ghat section and narrow roads.. slow route, but very picturesque!
After that I continued on to Theni - road is very dusty till here, couldn't do more than 80kph, and then Dindigul, where I finally started catching up speed - NH7 all the way after that.
The tolls are pretty expensive - I spent close to 250 bucks on this road, but worth every penny.
I suggest take the Theni route hands down..
Took me 12 hours again. Stopped at Salem for lunch, new place called GRT international, they serve up a very good dinner buffet.

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2010, 17:16   #52

Hey, While coming to Kumarakom, dont take the Vytilla (Ernakulam Bypass) Thripunithura, Vaikom Route. The road upto Vaikom is good. But Vaikom to Kumarakom is too bad, Its better to go straight to Chertala from Ernakulam and you can take a left turn from there to touch Thannirmukkam and Kumarakom.

Heavy road work is going on at Kumarokom route and the roads are closed at the night.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:31   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
Thanks Amit for the route update. I am planning to drive Blr-Kumarakom in the end of the month.

This is 12 hours including the lunch break as Salem? What time did you start from Kumarakom?

Can you also comment on how the ghat sections (state of the road) and how long are they.

thanks!

ok so here goes..
I started at 1:30 pm from Kumarakom onwards to Kottayam and then wherever the GPS guided me all the way till Theni - Dindigul.
The first 120 km stretch includes kumarakom, kottayam, adjoining towns, ghat section, and some more dusty towns. This took me 4 hours. (and so the rest 500km took about 8 hours, including 1 hr dinner break at Salem).
The roads are all in good shape on this route excepting a few broken patches here and there - no surprise potholes though.. the road gradually becomes bad, and then it becomes good again in some stretches.
Suggest you take meal and potty breaks in the ghat section (You may get only a couple of eating places in the ghat section, one such place actually says "Valley view toilets" - you cant miss it on your way), since you are going to go slow on this route anyway. It isnt as steep as the masinagudi-ooty stretch, but neverthless, its very scenic and quite curvy and bendy. Enjoy this 120km stretch with breaks.
NH7 is in very good shape, and you would keep upwards of 120-130 kph to maintain your 12 hour target.
I reached Dindigul at about 8pm, tried looking for a good eating place, couldnt find any, so went on to Salem - reached at about 10pm, had dinner there, and then left at 11pm, reached blr at 2am or so..
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:52   #54
BHPian

Thanks for the update Amit. I am making this journey next week :-)

Quote:
ok so here goes..
I started at 1:30 pm from Kumarakom onwards to Kottayam and then wherever the GPS guided me all the way till Theni - Dindigul.
The first 120 km stretch includes kumarakom, kottayam, adjoining towns, ghat section, and some more dusty towns. This took me 4 hours. (and so the rest 500km took about 8 hours, including 1 hr dinner break at Salem).
The roads are all in good shape on this route excepting a few broken patches here and there - no surprise potholes though.. the road gradually becomes bad, and then it becomes good again in some stretches.
Suggest you take meal and potty breaks in the ghat section (You may get only a couple of eating places in the ghat section, one such place actually says "Valley view toilets" - you cant miss it on your way), since you are going to go slow on this route anyway. It isnt as steep as the masinagudi-ooty stretch, but neverthless, its very scenic and quite curvy and bendy. Enjoy this 120km stretch with breaks.
NH7 is in very good shape, and you would keep upwards of 120-130 kph to maintain your 12 hour target.
I reached Dindigul at about 8pm, tried looking for a good eating place, couldnt find any, so went on to Salem - reached at about 10pm, had dinner there, and then left at 11pm, reached blr at 2am or so..
Old 6th December 2012, 13:12   #55
BHPian

Team,

Need some detailed info on the driving route to Kumarakom from Bangalore, as I'm planning to drive down there for Christmas. I specifically need tips on suggested routes beyond Thrissur, as it is rather starightforward downn until there ( Bangalore - Kanakapur - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur ).

Option 1 - Thrissur - Angamaly - Muvattupuzha - Kottayam - Kumarakom

OR

Option 2 - Thrissur - Ernakulam - Vaikom - Kumarakom

Any suggestions or advice please ?
Old 6th December 2012, 13:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
Team,

Need some detailed info on the driving route to Kumarakom from Bangalore, as I'm planning to drive down there for Christmas. I specifically need tips on suggested routes beyond Thrissur, as it is rather starightforward downn until there ( Bangalore - Kanakapur - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur ).

Option 1 - Thrissur - Angamaly - Muvattupuzha - Kottayam - Kumarakom

OR

Option 2 - Thrissur - Ernakulam - Vaikom - Kumarakom

A better option would be to drive via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Peermade-Kanjirapally-Kottayam-Kumarakom.Even though there is road widening happening around Dindigul,this should be a better route avoiding the roads through Kerala.

If you do go through NH47,make sure you dont take the NH47 from Walayar to Thrissur.Alternate routes are discussed in the other threads.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:44   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post

+1 to what Ranjit said.

- CBE/Palakkad/Trichur sections are bad also highly traffic at Walayar.
- So an alternate route for the same if better. (Salem-Perudurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkacherry.)

Or

Take the option via Karur/Dindigul/Theni.

Bad sections from Dindigul-Theni can be avoided by driving via Kodai road-Batlagundu.
Old 6th December 2014, 09:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:

- CBE/Palakkad/Trichur sections are bad also highly traffic at Walayar.
- So an alternate route for the same if better. (Salem-Perudurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkacherry.)
Planning a Bangalore to Kumarakom trip next week.

How is the CBE / Palakkad / Trichur route right now (December 2014)?

Also, any good restaurants on this route for a brief stopover?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:37   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Take the Avinashi/Mangalam/Pollachi/Kollegode/Vaddakkenchery route any day. Much better

Quote:
Pollachi has some good ones. In the town you can find many. I dont think there is a need to look for a specific one.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 14:46   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Planning a Bangalore to Kumarakom trip next week.

As amp says, better to go via Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Thrissur or Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur (I had mentioned the same on the other thread where you'd asked a similar question)
Breaks - Saravana Inn after Salem and Only Coffee in Pollachi - no need to stop inside the town.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks