Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 13:48   #16
BHPian

subsabs, How is the rain in Wayanad during your visit? Was it very heavy?
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:36   #17
BHPian

Any update on the Road condition and Rain in Wayanad?

I am travelling to Wayanad tomorrow with family and I am not sure about the current condition of the road and rain in Wayanad in the past week. Did anybody travel recently and can update the conditions now? Thanks for your help
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Wayanad 2 weeks ago and the road conditions were pretty good all through (except for the ever problematic Mysore-Nanjangud stretch). The forest road has developed the odd pothole here and there, but nothing of much concern.

And apparently the rains haven't been all that heavy in the past 10-15 days, so I wouldn't expect much of deterioration in the road conditions.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:09   #19
BHPian

Hi kala, Thank you so much for your update. That really helps
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:50   #20
BHPian

you may be aware that the forest route is closed between 9pm and 6 am.
avoid reaching the check post close to the aforesaid timings. there will be jam due to lot of vehicles trying to cross before the closure.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:33   #21
BHPian

ad75, I thought the ban was from 6PM to 6AM. Are you sure that the forest ban starts from 9PM?

Moreover, the all india bundh called by the Left parties is painful which has come right in the time I planned my holiday. I was planning to drive from Wayanad (Vythri) back to Bangalore on Monday afternoon. Now with the bundh ON, I either have to start from vythri very early in the morning on Monday to cross Kerela before 6.00AM or start after 6PM. I am confused on what to do. If you guys have any pointers on Kerela bandh, do let me know. Thanks once again for the responses
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
ad75, I thought the ban was from 6PM to 6AM. Are you sure that the forest ban starts from 9PM?

Moreover, the all india bundh called by the Left parties is painful which has come right in the time I planned my holiday. I was planning to drive from Wayanad (Vythri) back to Bangalore on Monday afternoon. Now with the bundh ON, I either have to start from vythri very early in the morning on Monday to cross Kerela before 6.00AM or start after 6PM. I am confused on what to do. If you guys have any pointers on Kerela bandh, do let me know. Thanks once again for the responses
The closure timing for the forest road between Sulthan Bathery and Gundlupet is from 9PM to 6AM. The Nagarahole sanctuary road on the other hand closes at 6PM.

If you're planning to return on Monday, it's a rather tricky decision to make. If you start early in the morning from Vythiri, you're certain to be caught up in the morning rush at 6AM at the forest checkpost. Starting after 6PM would be better from that angle, but then you may not be able to any sightseeing during the daytime because Kerala is one state where these Bundhs/Harthals are followed very religiously and you'll hardly find any shops open, it may not be very safe to drive around either. So sitting around and relaxing in the resort (or going for some short treks in the vicinity) might be all you'd able to do.

Last edited by kala : 2nd July 2010 at 15:01.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:28   #23
BHPian

Hi kala, Thanks once again for your inputs. It looks like best option is to start coming out of the resort after 6PM and drive out of the forests before 9PM. I will do all the driving around on Saturday and Sunday and rest in the resort on Monday morning before driving out towards evening
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The closure timing for the forest road between Sulthan Bathery and Gundlupet is from 9PM to 6AM. The Nagarahole sanctuary road on the other hand closes at 6PM.

If you're planning to return on Monday, it's a rather tricky decision to make. If you start early in the morning from Vythiri, you're certain to be caught up in the morning rush at 6AM at the forest checkpost. Starting after 6PM would be better from that angle, but then you may not be able to any sightseeing during the daytime because Kerala is one state where these Bundhs/Harthals are followed very religiously and you'll hardly find any shops open, it may not be very safe to drive around either. So sitting around and relaxing in the resort (or going for some short treks in the vicinity) might be all you'd able to do.
+1 to that
even with a 6 pm start you should be able to cross the check post by 8pm max. you would be back in bangalore by 1-2am.be a bit fast till the checkpost.you may require reserve time in case of a jam at the checkpost. tank up on sunday evening itself.

as kala said it wouldnt be safe to venture out of your resort on a bandh/hartal day in kerala.especially when the bandh call is by left parties and they rule the state at present.it will be a total bandh.

have a nice trip.

Last edited by ad75 : 2nd July 2010 at 16:31. Reason: addition
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:56   #25
BHPian

ad75, kala, Thank you very much for your inputs. I will update once I am back. No laptop for the next three days.

ad75, you have an interesting avatar. Is that a picture of cyclone or a spiral galaxy?
Old 6th July 2010, 10:30   #26
BHPian

Dear All, Got back from Wayanad yesterday night. ad75, kala thank you very much for your inputs. They were all spot on. The roads are in pretty good shape all the way and the climate in Wayanad was at its best. We saw bright sunshine as well as heavy downpour and intermittent drizzle. Perfect for a holiday now.

Yesterday being bundh, we started from the resort at only 3.30PM and it was 4.00PM before we reached the NH joining Calicut and Mysore. Once there we were pretty scared about unsculpturous elements but continuted our drive towards Bangalore. We crossed Kalpetta and Sultan bathery without any issue. But then the trouble started just before we Muthunga national park. We were there at 5PM when a mob had blocked the road and were screaming something in Malayalam. Seeing our family in the car, they said just stop the car and start only after 6PM. We thought we are stuck for an hour. A good samitarian from the mob asked us to take a small lane on the right which goes and joins back to NH again after about 8 kms which can bypass this mob. We were not sure if we should follow his direction as we thought it could be a trap to loot. We decided to stay put till 6PM. Suddenly there was a infighting within the mob when one of the members left a 2 wheeler to pass. Taking this to advantage, there were 4 other KA-registered vehicles stopped by them and they started to drive through the small lane. One of the driver of the KA registered vehicle asked me to follow him and seeing all the 4 cars are bangalore registered and families inside them, we started following it. Totally there were 5 bangalore registered vehicles driving like crazy in that small lane (Any team bhpians here) and just like the person pointed out, it joined the NH again after some distance. It was a smooth drive from there on to Bangalore and by the time we crossed Bandipur forest, it was past 6PM and hence there was no issue in karnataka. Reached home at 10.30PM.

Lessen learnt: Never take Kerela hartals lightly. They do mean business. But they donot behave like rouges and their aim is just to prove the point to government. This is what I saw from the mob which stopped us. maybe other people might have diferent experiences
Old 6th July 2010, 17:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that you got through without any mishaps. It would probably have been wiser to have started a little bit later, one can never take these mobs for granted. Some idiot among them with a stone in his hand can ruin your day.

Where did you stay in Vythiri ? And how heavy are the monsoons in Wayanad ?
Old 8th July 2010, 12:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Yesterday being bundh, we started from the resort at only 3.30PM
Lessen learnt: Never take Kerela hartals lightly. They do mean business. But they donot behave like rouges and their aim is just to prove the point to government. This is what I saw from the mob which stopped us. maybe other people might have diferent experiences
gopikb, you have guts man.that it was a very risky move,with your family with you!!

glad you made it though the trouble safely.it was a lucky day for you.
waiting for the travelogue and pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
It would probably have been wiser to have started a little bit later, one can never take these mobs for granted. Some idiot among them with a stone in his hand can ruin your day.
spot on. one stone is all it takes to spoil your trip and damage your car.have heard horror stories from our folks back in kerala on stone throwing and vehicles being damaged to people being beaten up for venturing out on a bandh day.

bandh/hartal is a regular feature in kerala and the people there have got used to it.you would typically find huge rush at beverage corpn outlets,the previous day!!
Old 9th July 2010, 11:38   #29
BHPian

kala / ad75

Thanks for the advices. I did realize that it was a blunder on my part to venture out before the bundh was over. We stayed in Vythri resort which has a 5km rough private road leading to it. We were checking continuously with the reception on the how the condition is outside and they did tell us the roads are empty and not wise to go out. Late in the evening at about 3PM, a couple checked in and said they came by train to Calicut and were stuck there since morning. Later one jeep offered them to take to Vythri for Rs.3000 (My God!!!) and they said they were stopped by mobs in 4~5 places, but the guys in the jeep handled it by speaking in the local language.They also indicated that they didnot face any issue once they climed the mountains and have seen many private 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers during the last leg of journey. This gave us the confidence to venture out and we packed our bags immediately and were out of hotel by 3.30PM. We reached the NH only at 4PM after driving through the bad inner roads. I turned into the NH and waited for a minute when I saw few jeeps and 2 wheelers as well. I saw one or two handicrafts shops also having their shutters open. So we thought things are getting relaxed as there was only 2 more hours to go for the bandh to end. We did drive more than 50kms without any issue and saw many private 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers on the road. Kalpetta and Sultan bathery were crossed without any issue. Only after Sultanbathery this mob stopped us.

But what you said was right. One stone could have spoiled our trip. It is definitely not worth it. I will never ever venture out during bandh again.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Visiting Wayanad from Bandipur

Guys,

I have 4D/3N stay in Bandhipur and planning to avail it during the long weekend on September 2010. Since this accomodation comes for free, thinking of utilizing it and visit Wayanad also.

My high-level Plan
Day 1 : Travel from Bangalore and Check-in at Bandipur before lunch. Evening visit to Sanctuary.

Day 2 : Visit Wayanad starting early morning and return to Bandipur by eve.

Day 3 : A detailed jungle safari in Bandipur/Mudhumalai/Masinagudi

Day 4 : Visit Himavad Gopalaswamy Hills and return to Bangalore

Need your suggestions on

1) Must visits in Wayanad for a day trip
2) Wildlife and Safari availability during September season

Last edited by jacs : 29th July 2010 at 12:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks