Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 21:15   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
I was actually interested in the Gudallur route. We have always been travelling thru the Muthanga route and love that aswell, but wanted to know if there is an even better option for a nice jungle drive provided the road is in good condition.
Hi Vindy,

If you choose to go through Gudalur, you will have to travel extra ~50kms, and also, even though the roads are good, it will take time as its narrow and curvy.

However: As I mentioned before, the extra ~50kms you get to drive from Gudalur to Gudelpet, through Bandipur wild life sanctury is just bliss for wild life enthusiasts. Its very scenic and there is high probability of spotting animals. But, the disadvantage is that you lose the travel through Muthanga, which is also good, not as much as Bandipur.

If you have time, you can explore this route.

You can go from Bathery to Gudalur, via pattavayal -devarshola.. Or you can go via Calicut - Vythiri - Chundel - Meppadi - Vaduvanchal - Pandallur - Gudalur. If you chose via Bathery, you again get some ~20kms of forests. Which, though not good as Muthanga and Bandipur, is worth enjoying.

Roads are good.

From Gudalur to Bangalore, you can follow ampere's suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For overnight stay on the highway, I hear Isaacs is a decent place at Bathery. (Do check with others too)

HOTEL ISSAC'S Regency
Yes, Hotel Issac is good. I'm a member there. Food though, could be better. Then you have Hotel Mintflower. In Kalpetta you have Hotel Woodlands, Hotel Harithagiri etc..

Last edited by dhanushs : 21st June 2012 at 21:19.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 23:00   #122
BHPian

Thank You Dhanush,

I will stickon with the usual route if the only purpose (of the Gudalur diversion) is to enjoy the Bandipur stretch. We have been thru Bandipur a few times to got to Ooty and also to drive down to Calicut thru Nilambur.

I was keen to know if there was anything interesting in the Kalpetta/Bathery to Gudalur stretch. We love the Muthanga forest drive. I will check availability at Isacs.

Thanks a ton

Cheers

Vindy
Old 21st June 2012, 23:02   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You Ampere,

I was actually interested in the Gudallur route. We have always been travelling thru the Muthanga route and love that aswell, but wanted to know if there is an even better option for a nice jungle drive provided the road is in good condition.

Since we are halting after the ghats, it also allows me to take that 50km detour if that is worth the time.

Thank you for helping out as usual

Vindy
Vinod,

You can definitely drive via Gudalur. It is very scenic. Come via Gundlupet - Chamarajanagar - Kollegala - Malavalli - Kanakapura. The road is good and it will be very green and nice.

Take a look at my TL when we drove via Gudalur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-weekend.html
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:30   #124
BHPian

Now if captain recommends something its got to be good!

Saw the snaps in your travelogue, the route looks good, but one should take this route for the tea estates and not for the jungle.

I would most probably stay at Kalpetta and take the Meppadi route mentioned by Dhanush and Ampere to reach Gudalur thru Vaduvanchal.

Cheers

Vindy
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:08   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now if captain recommends something its got to be good!

Saw the snaps in your travelogue, the route looks good, but one should take this route for the tea estates and not for the jungle.

I would most probably stay at Kalpetta and take the Meppadi route mentioned by Dhanush and Ampere to reach Gudalur thru Vaduvanchal.
As per latest reports from vnabhi today on another thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2817048 ), the stretch between Gudalur and Theppekkadu doesn't appear to be in great shape.

The Muthanga forest road on the other hand was pretty decent when I travelled through there last month. I'll be travelling to Kalpetta that way again tomorrow morning and returning Sunday afternoon, will update the current conditions tomorrow evening if I'm able to come online - my internet connectivity in Wynad is a bit flaky.

Detailed directions on the Gundlupet-Bangalore route via Chamarajanagar / Kollegal are also available in the same thread I referred to above - Look at message #465 in that thread.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:56   #126
BHPian

Thank You Kala.

It would be great to hear from you tomorrow evening.

I have figured out the Gundlupet-Kanakpura route from the thread you mentioned.

Cheers

Vindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
As per latest reports from vnabhi today on another thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2817048 ), the stretch between Gudalur and Theppekkadu doesn't appear to be in great shape.

The Muthanga forest road on the other hand was pretty decent when I travelled through there last month. I'll be travelling to Kalpetta that way again tomorrow morning and returning Sunday afternoon, will update the current conditions tomorrow evening if I'm able to come online - my internet connectivity in Wynad is a bit flaky.

Detailed directions on the Gundlupet-Bangalore route via Chamarajanagar / Kollegal are also available in the same thread I referred to above - Look at message #465 in that thread.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:16   #127
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Muthanga forest road on the other hand was pretty decent when I travelled through there last month.
Quote:
I have figured out the Gundlupet-Kanakpura route from the thread you mentioned.
+1 to what Kala has mentioned.
I traveled from Bangalore to Calicut in the last week of May and took the NH209 route via Kanakapura, Chamarajnagar. Traffic on this route was so peaceful I really enjoyed the drive. We started at 5:20am, took the NICE road (from Hosur Road) and took the Kanakapura Road exit. Road conditions very good, overall, just one stretch of about 2Km near Kollegal where asphalting work was in progress. Nearing Chamrajnagar for about 1-2 Km the road is narrow going through some villages, you may need to look out for buses and allow them to pass. We stopped for breakfast at Nijaguna Residency in Chamrajnagar. From there, the Gundlupet Road was also in good condition. By 12:15 we were near Kalpetta and lost about 20 minutes there due to asphalting work that was in progress. More details on the log/timings here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2796105
Hope this helps.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:15   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be great to hear from you tomorrow evening.
Update on the Bangalore-Wayanad trip this morning.

Bangalore-Gundlupet via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar : Road conditions more or less the same as before except that the 2-3 kms rough stretch before Kollegal seems to have become slightly worse.

Gundlupet-Kerala/Karnataka border : The last 7 or 8 kms closer to the border has been retarred and is a very good surface, but they seem to have added speed breakers every km or so (sometimes even closer than that), and none of them are marked with signboards. So need to be careful driving this freshly tarred stretch. Also watch out for one huge crater going right across the road pretty close to the forest entry point on the Gundlupet side. Road surface very good otherwise.

K-K Border to Kalpetta : Not in great shape, strictly 40 to 60km territory. Speeds higher than 60 not recommended because one can never anticipate when the next pothole is going to appear. If one drives slow you can avoid most potholes, but still not a very comfortable drive.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 21:15   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshs View Post
Folks,

I'm planning a 4 night/5 days trip to Wayanad from Bangalore this Sunday. Please let me know the road conditions and the best route to take. I'll be staying at Hiliya Resort in Kenichira near Sultan Bathery. Planning to leave Banglore by 5am.

Thanks.
So, how was your experience at Hiliya Resort? We are planning to visit Wayanad during the coming long weekend and have booked accommodation at this resort.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:39   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I think the regular route via Calicut (byepass) would be the best. (Trichur-Kecheri-Perumbilavu-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara-Calicut byepass-Malaparambu-Thamarassery-Kalpetta). Roads are in very good shape all through. Going via Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode is likely to be slower since the roads are narrower and traffic density higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Ampere, I second Kala. Even I think the regular road would be better. ie, Kottayam - Cochin - Angamaly - Thissur - Kecheri - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Calicut (By pass) - Thamaraserry - Vythiri
Is this still the best route? I am doing kottayam-meppadi next week end. Familiar roads till thrissur, but not afterwards. Help )
Old 30th November 2012, 13:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Kottayam - Cochin - Angamaly - Thissur - Kecheri - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Calicut (By pass) - Thamaraserry - Vythiri
Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Is this still the best route? I am doing kottayam-meppadi next week end. Familiar roads till thrissur, but not afterwards. Help )
I think this is still the best option. From Chundale on NH212 (About 5 or 6 kms after Vythiri) take the right fork towards Meppady.

If driving during the day, try to skip Kunnamkulam town by taking a right turn at Kecheri and a left turn immediately afterwards. Will take you to Akkikkavu - (about half a km before Perumbilavu on the Trichur-Calicut State highway). Take the left fork at Perumbilavu (that's the road to Calicut - The right fork goes to Pattambi) and stick to the Calicut SH from then on.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 14:15   #132
BHPian

Hi

Me and my friends with families (3 cars) are travelling to Wayanad during the christmas break from Chennai Via Mysore.
Have a couple of questions:
1. We are taking a break at Mysore on day-1
2. Day-2 - drive down to Wayanad and check into Hotel
3. Days 3,4 5 are to be spent at Wayanad
4. Return back to Mysore on Day-6. Roam around.
5. Day-7 - Drive back to Chennai.

The questions are :
1. What would be the best route from Mysore to Wayanad.
2. What are the chief attractions which we can cover in 3 days. The ideal plan is to have atleast half a day or sightseeing every day.

Cheers !
Old 10th December 2012, 14:20   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
1. What would be the best route from Mysore to Wayanad.
2. What are the chief attractions which we can cover in 3 days. The ideal plan is to have atleast half a day or sightseeing every day.
It depends on where you guys are put up in Waynad. If its north Waynad, then you can take up the route via Tholpetty/Kutta.

If its south Waynad, then you can take the regular Nanjangud/Gundlupet route.
Old 10th December 2012, 14:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
It depends on where you guys are put up in Waynad. If its north Waynad, then you can take up the route via Tholpetty/Kutta.

We are staying at Green Gates, Kalpetta.
Let me know please !
Old 10th December 2012, 14:38   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
We are staying at Green Gates, Kalpetta.
Let me know please !
If you are staying at Kalpetta, take the below mentioned route by ampere.
Quote:
The Green Gates hotel is just before you enter Kalpetta town.

Last edited by A350XWB : 10th December 2012 at 14:49.

Most Viewed