Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 23:38   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route query to Wayanad

Which is the best resort, if one wants to enjoy the Kuruva island and large water bodies?
The usual good ones Vythri etc seem to be conventional. Any other place to recommend?

Not that I would be going, soon. But there is a thought process.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Very near to Kuruva island you have Pepper Green Village and Kuruva resort. Please check my earlier post for details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-wayanad.html

Since you mentioned water bodies, there isa new resort that has come near Banasura sagar dam, I remember the name as Banasura resort, not stayed here, so cannot commend on the quality
Old 19th April 2011, 15:47   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Overall one should be able to do Kengeri to Kalpetta in about 4.5 hours or so.
Cool, thanks a lot for the detailed update.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Pepper Green Village, Wayanad Resort, Kuruva Island Resort, Wayanad Holidays - They even had a discount for TBHP members I remember !
Old 19th April 2011, 19:29   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Very near to Kuruva island you have Pepper Green Village and Kuruva resort. Please check my earlier post for details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-wayanad.html

Since you mentioned water bodies, there isa new resort that has come near Banasura sagar dam, I remember the name as Banasura resort, not stayed here, so cannot commend on the quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Pepper Green Village, Wayanad Resort, Kuruva Island Resort, Wayanad Holidays - They even had a discount for TBHP members I remember !
Thanks guys. I was aware of Pepper Green. @Gadadhar I had read your TL long back and infact thats how I came to know about the place ).

But what I wanted to know is, how close are these places to the water bodies? Do you get to see these from your rooms itself? That would be very soothing.

I dont mind paying more, but I would like a good place even if it means staying lesser days. Bansura looks good. Any other similar places?

Last edited by ampere : 19th April 2011 at 19:55.
Old 19th April 2011, 20:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks guys. I was aware of Pepper Green. @Gadadhar I had read your TL long back and infact thats how I came to know about the place ).

But what I wanted to know is, how close are these places to the water bodies? Do you get to see these from your rooms itself? That would be very soothing.

I dont mind paying more, but I would like a good place even if it means staying lesser days. Bansura looks good. Any other similar places?
Ampere,

Banasura is agood bet for Kuruva. The place is really done well. Though a bit expensive, it is a good place. On the way back come via Tirunelly and visit the temple which is beautiful. Then drive via Kutta and Nagarahole to Hunsur. If lucky, you may get a chance to meet Sher khan
Old 19th April 2011, 23:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ampere - I had stayed at a home stay by name " The JADE". Very cordial and friendly hosts. The food was awesome. This was at Kutta. It costed me 2100 Rupees, for one night, two days, break fast included. This was for my family of three.( me,my wife, my son )

The roads leading to Kuruva Island from Kutta are butter smooth, curvy and pretty scenic. It took me less than 45 minutes to reach Kuruva from the Jade. The last 4 KM's to Kuruva is in pretty bad shape.

I agree- the Tirunelly is a beautiful temple. There is another sererne and beautiful temple at the base of Iruppu falls, dont give this a miss. Iruppu falls is about 3 KMs from the Jade.

When i went to kuruva in the first week of March, all i could see there is people and more people, parking place swarmed with TT's and buses and cars and with the weather being hot and humid, we really couldnt enjoy the place. Secondly, the waters weren't all that clean and were looking brown and the flow and quantum of water was very minimal.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

@ Ampere - Both Pepper Green and Kuruva resort are on the river banks of Kabani with Kuruva island on the other side (cannot cross to island there since water can be deep).. You can see the river and the island sitting in your room and can take a dip anytime you wish. If you plan to spend time in the water, both the place can be ideal I feel.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:19   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
@ Ampere - Both Pepper Green and Kuruva resort are on the river banks of Kabani with Kuruva island on the other side (cannot cross to island there since water can be deep).. You can see the river and the island sitting in your room and can take a dip anytime you wish. If you plan to spend time in the water, both the place can be ideal I feel.
@Gadadhar, Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. Let me now plan for go these places some time.

@Fauji-sir, Thanks for the Banasura Dam pointer.

@jkrishnakj, Thanks for that pointer.

Somehow I am not very comfortable going to homestays. I feel one gets obligated to agree what all is provided there. Since one is a guest in that place, he cannot demand anything that may be needed (Not that, there can be steep demands). But still somehow I dont feel that comfortable going to these places.

Having said that I am also told that Homestays concepts have come of age, and now are very well and professionally managed.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2011 at 11:27.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Somehow I am not very comfortable going to homestays. I feel one gets obligated to agree what all is provided there. Since one is a guest in that place, he cannot demand anything that may be needed (Not that, there can be steep demands). But still somehow I dont feel that comfortable going to these places.

Having said that I am also told that Homestays concepts have come of age, and now are very well and professionally managed.
I agree with you to some extent.

The problem with most of homestays - specailly in Coorg, CKM and Tirthahalli - is that, everyone wants to make a quiick buck. Since they would already have real estate, they dont have to spend much money on that. Also, most of the homestay owners feel that a cot, a good bath and good food will suffice. They will not be much bothererd about what kind of "experience" the vsistor will take away with him. I do not blame them as they may not be aware of running it professionally. Some of them does not seem to know what is the specilaity of the place - wildlife, history, heritage etc. In fact in couple of homestays i stayed, i was more informed about the place than them. But most of them are generally good people - some of them too good to the extent of embarrassing guests - which make you to return.

It is still a long way to go for homestays and you will still find some real gems amongst them.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:27   #86
BHPian

Hi,

Any update on the route, road conditions for Bangalore to Wayanad in April-May 2012?

Having gone thru the threads, I feel that Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery is the best option. Need info on road conditions.

Planning on staying at Vythiri Village
Old 11th April 2012, 16:08   #87

Will be doing a trip to Wayand this weekend from Kottyam. As for the route, I will let my MMI Road Pilot take care of it.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:31   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate View Post
Will be doing a trip to Wayand this weekend from Kottyam. As for the route, I will let my MMI Road Pilot take care of it.
The best option:

Kottayam-Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-Choondal-Kecheri-Pannithadam-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery-Vythri
Old 11th April 2012, 23:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best option:

Kottayam-Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-Choondal-Kecheri-Pannithadam-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery-Vythri
Based on the experience during my trip last weekend from Wayanad to Guruvayur, I think the regular route via Calicut (byepass) would be the best. (Trichur-Kecheri-Perumbilavu-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara-Calicut byepass-Malaparambu-Thamarassery-Kalpetta). Roads are in very good shape all through. Going via Malappuram-Manjeri-Areekode is likely to be slower since the roads are narrower and traffic density higher.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 00:29   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I think the regular route via Calicut (byepass) would be the best.
Ampere, I second Kala. Even I think the regular road would be better. ie, Kottayam - Cochin - Angamaly - Thissur - Kecheri - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Calicut (By pass) - Thamaraserry - Vythiri

Last week, I traveled twice along that road to Cochin, and the roads are in very good shape till Chundel (Wayanad). It tool me only ~4 hours from Sulthan Bathery - Cochin (Night 2AM - 6AM) and ~6 hours on the way back (12PM - 6PM). I had a very tight schedule. Even with relaxed driving, with multiple stops, one can cover Cochin - Sulthan Bathery in 7 hours, along that road.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed