Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 17:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi hvkumar,

Thank you for your reply. 30 minutes extra is not all that bad.
Old 1st June 2012, 20:54   #17
BHPian

Planned trip Vapi to Udaipur

I am planning a trip from near Vapi to Udaipur. As per MapMyIndia, the distance is about 600Kms. Last year I had done my first road trip to Saurashtra so I am aware of the road upto Baroda, the NE1 to Ahmedabad.
I have some questions on further route and places:
1) How is the road from Baroda to Udaipur, I think the distance is about 350Kms? How much time will this take and what is the route to follow?
2) What places should I cover around Udaipur? I am planning to visit Chittorgarh, Kumbhalgarh, Mt.Abu, Nathdwara. Any other places? How many days would I need at each place?
3) While coming back should it be from Mt.Abu? What would be the route?
Hope I should be able to complete the full trip in 10 days.
Old 2nd June 2012, 00:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Planned trip Vapi to Udaipur

Stick to the route via Ahmedabad, instead of the shorter one via Baroda-Godhra.

Continue on Baroda bypass which merges into the expressway towards Ahmedabad (not to be confused with the parallel 2-laned NH8. Exit from expressway onto Sardar Patel Ring Road to avoid A'bad city.

Baroda-Udaipur should take you 5-6 hours at most.
Route as follows: Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Shamlaji-Ratanpur-Rishabdeo-Udaipur

Mt Abu is off the route.
You can do the circuit as Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Nathdwara

Then,
Nathdwara-Kumbalgarh-Pindwara-Abu Road-Mt Abu

From Mt Abu, you can return either of the 2 routes:
#1: Mt Abu-Abu Road-Ambaji-Idhar-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad, or
#2: Mt Abu-Abu Road-Palanpur-Mehsana-Halol-Ahmedabad
Old 17th July 2012, 12:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Stick to the route via Ahmedabad, instead of the shorter one via Baroda-Godhra.

Continue on Baroda bypass which merges into the expressway towards Ahmedabad (not to be confused with the parallel 2-laned NH8. Exit from expressway onto Sardar Patel Ring Road to avoid A'bad city.

Baroda-Udaipur should take you 5-6 hours at most.
Route as follows: Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Shamlaji-Ratanpur-Rishabdeo-Udaipur

Mt Abu is off the route.
You can do the circuit as Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Nathdwara

Then,
Nathdwara-Kumbalgarh-Pindwara-Abu Road-Mt Abu

From Mt Abu, you can return either of the 2 routes:
#1: Mt Abu-Abu Road-Ambaji-Idhar-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad, or
#2: Mt Abu-Abu Road-Palanpur-Mehsana-Halol-Ahmedabad
Reopening this thread as I plan to do a road trip Vapi-Udaiput-Mt.Abu-Nathdwara etc this November. I had tried to open a separate thread for this but got banned, felt quite dejected.
There are number of threads on the same topic so did not understand why I got an infraction. Anyways, will now post in this thread only and hope to get replies.

Some questions :
1) Should I go straight from Vapi to Udaipur or stop at some place in between. Reaching Udaipur in the evening may not be worth it.
2) How many days are required for sightseeing in Udaipur?
3) My dad insists I should stay one day in Kumbhalgarh, is it worth?
4) Can I go to Kumbhalgarh from Mt.Abu and also cover Ranakpur? Or come back to Udaipur?
5) Maybe I should go to Mt.Abu first from Vapi and go to Udaipur next day? Is one day enough in Abu?

As you can see, I am confused about the route to take. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani
1) Should I go straight from Vapi to Udaipur or stop at some place in between. Reaching Udaipur in the evening may not be worth it.
4) Can I go to Kumbhalgarh from Mt.Abu and also cover Ranakpur? Or come back to Udaipur?
5) Maybe I should go to Mt.Abu first from Vapi and go to Udaipur next day? Is one day enough in Abu?
You could ideally do Vapi-Mt Abu-Udaipur-Vapi.

You could do Ranakapur,Kumbalgarh,Nathdwara as separate day trips from Udaipur

You could dedicate 2full days for going around Udaipur and another 2 full days for Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh/Natdwara

If you are driving straight to Abu,stay the nigt there and you could leave for Udaipur early evening or stay that night also in Abu and leave for Udaipur the next day morning.Hotels at Abu are cheaper and not as good as the ones you would find at Udaipur.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Reopening this thread as I plan to do a road trip Vapi-Udaiput-Mt.Abu-Nathdwara etc this November. I had tried to open a separate thread for this but got banned, felt quite dejected.
There are number of threads on the same topic so did not understand why I got an infraction. Anyways, will now post in this thread only and hope to get replies.

Some questions :

As you can see, I am confused about the route to take. Any advice is appreciated.
1) Vapi - Udaipur easily doable in a day. No need for a break. Start early from Vapi to avoid rush on the Narmada brdige near Bharuch. Avoid getting into Ahmedabad city at the end of the Express HW.

If you have your hotel bookings in place, no issue in reaching Udaipur in evening. The road from Vapi all the way to Udaipur is excellent. So no issues in driving in evening also.

2) I think 2 days should be more than sufficient for Udaipur.

3) I have not been to Kumbhalgarh myself but have heard a lot about it esp the fort. Also Ranakpur is close by. So makes worth it.

4-5) You could consider the following route:
Day 1: Vapi-Abad-Himatnagar-Udaipur (enroute visit to Shyamlaji, a popular Krishan temple of Gujarat)
Day 2-3: Udaipur city tour
Day 4 - Proceed for Nathdwara. Visit Eklingji temple (royal temple of Rana Pratap and family) and Haldighati enroute. After darshan at Nathdwara, proceed to Kumbhalgarh. Night halt
Day 5 - Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur
Day 6 - connect to NH 14 and proceed to Mt. Abu. There is alternate route thru the interiors but no idea about the road conditions
Day 7 - Mt. Abu
Day 8 - Return

It all depends on how many days you have. If short of time, you could keep Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur optional though both the places are indeed a great place to visit. In that case, you can reach Mt Abu on day 4 eve and return on day 6. You can also consider a detour to Chittorgarh from Udaipur if you have time. Its a place worth a visit.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 16:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could ideally do Vapi-Mt Abu-Udaipur-Vapi.

You could do Ranakapur,Kumbalgarh,Nathdwara as separate day trips from Udaipur

You could dedicate 2full days for going around Udaipur and another 2 full days for Ranakpur/Kumbhalgarh/Natdwara

If you are driving straight to Abu,stay the nigt there and you could leave for Udaipur early evening or stay that night also in Abu and leave for Udaipur the next day morning.Hotels at Abu are cheaper and not as good as the ones you would find at Udaipur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
1) Vapi - Udaipur easily doable in a day. No need for a break. Start early from Vapi to avoid rush on the Narmada brdige near Bharuch. Avoid getting into Ahmedabad city at the end of the Express HW.

If you have your hotel bookings in place, no issue in reaching Udaipur in evening. The road from Vapi all the way to Udaipur is excellent. So no issues in driving in evening also.

2) I think 2 days should be more than sufficient for Udaipur.

3) I have not been to Kumbhalgarh myself but have heard a lot about it esp the fort. Also Ranakpur is close by. So makes worth it.

4-5) You could consider the following route:
Day 1: Vapi-Abad-Himatnagar-Udaipur (enroute visit to Shyamlaji, a popular Krishan temple of Gujarat)
Day 2-3: Udaipur city tour
Day 4 - Proceed for Nathdwara. Visit Eklingji temple (royal temple of Rana Pratap and family) and Haldighati enroute. After darshan at Nathdwara, proceed to Kumbhalgarh. Night halt
Day 5 - Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur
Day 6 - connect to NH 14 and proceed to Mt. Abu. There is alternate route thru the interiors but no idea about the road conditions
Day 7 - Mt. Abu
Day 8 - Return

It all depends on how many days you have. If short of time, you could keep Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur optional though both the places are indeed a great place to visit. In that case, you can reach Mt Abu on day 4 eve and return on day 6. You can also consider a detour to Chittorgarh from Udaipur if you have time. Its a place worth a visit.
Thanks for the replies. I am planning 8-10 days. I was thinking of going to Mt.Abu first as hotel may be less expensive and I am losing the day anyway. Maybe I can do as under :
Day 1 : Vapi - Abu
Day 2 - Abu sightseeing
Day 3 : Abu - Nathdwara leave early morning, local temple
Day 4 - Nathdwara - Haldighati - Kumbhalghar stay over
Day 5 - Kumbhalghar - Ranakpur sightseeing
Day 6 - Kumbhalghar - Udaipur
Day 7 - Udaipur - Chittor - Udaipur
Day 8 - Udaipur - local sightseeing
Day 9 - Udaipur - Vapi

How's that sound? Anyone has experiences of this route?
Old 17th July 2012, 17:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am planning 8-10 days. I was thinking of going to Mt.Abu first as hotel may be less expensive and I am losing the day anyway. Maybe I can do as under :
Day 1 : Vapi - Abu
Day 2 - Abu sightseeing
Day 3 : Abu - Nathdwara leave early morning, local temple
Day 4 - Nathdwara - Haldighati - Kumbhalghar stay over
Day 5 - Kumbhalghar - Ranakpur sightseeing
Day 6 - Kumbhalghar - Udaipur
Day 7 - Udaipur - Chittor - Udaipur
Day 8 - Udaipur - local sightseeing
Day 9 - Udaipur - Vapi

How's that sound? Anyone has experiences of this route?
Try Abu - Kumbhalgarh/Ranakpur - Nathdwara - Haldighati - Udaipur. It is a circular route and you can avoid back and forth drive around Nathdwara-Kumbhalgarh-Udaipur.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Try Abu - Kumbhalgarh/Ranakpur - Nathdwara - Haldighati - Udaipur. It is a circular route and you can avoid back and forth drive around Nathdwara-Kumbhalgarh-Udaipur.
Can you tell me the route from Abu to Kumbhalgarh and distance. mapmyindia is showing a long route via Udaipur whereas Google Maps gives a 141km route which is more straight. Is it better to stay in Kumbhalgarh than Ranakpur. Any idea of some nice hotels.

Last edited by jesrani : 17th July 2012 at 17:34.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me the route from Abu to Kumbhalgarh and distance. mapmyindia is showing a long route via Udaipur whereas Google Maps gives a 141km route which is more straight. Is it better to stay in Kumbhalgarh than Ranakpur. Any idea of some nice hotels.
From Abu Road, go north on NH14 till Pindwara, from where you continue on the lovely 4-laner NH76 towards Udaipur. Halfway through at the spot marked Jaswantgarh on G maps Mt Abu, Rajasthan to Kumbhalgarh - Google Maps, turn left or north towards Kumbalgarh, excellent road too
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 11:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Is it better to stay in Kumbhalgarh than Ranakpur. Any idea of some nice hotels.
2 of my friends had visited Kumbhalgarh in the last few months and they suggested that better to stay in Kumbhalgarh. They had stayed at
- The Aodhi Hotel (Kumbhalgarh Fort Rajasthan - The Aodhi at Kumbhalgarh | Forts and Palace Hotels in India - HRH Group of Hotels)

- and Club Mahindra (Resorts in Kumbhalgarh | Kumbhalgarh Fort Hotel | Resorts at Kumbhalgarh | Resorts In Rajasthan – Club Mahindra Resorts)
Old 18th July 2012, 12:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
From Abu Road, go north on NH14 till Pindwara, from where you continue on the lovely 4-laner NH76 towards Udaipur. Halfway through at the spot marked Jaswantgarh on G maps Mt Abu, Rajasthan to Kumbhalgarh - Google Maps, turn left or north towards Kumbalgarh, excellent road too
Quote:
2 of my friends had visited Kumbhalgarh in the last few months and they suggested that better to stay in Kumbhalgarh. They had stayed at
- The Aodhi Hotel (Kumbhalgarh Fort Rajasthan - The Aodhi at Kumbhalgarh | Forts and Palace Hotels in India - HRH Group of Hotels)

- and Club Mahindra (Resorts in Kumbhalgarh | Kumbhalgarh Fort Hotel | Resorts at Kumbhalgarh | Resorts In Rajasthan – Club Mahindra Resorts)
Thanks. Now thinking of doing route as under :
Day 1 - Vapi to Abu
Day 2 - Abu
Day 3 - Abu to Kumbhalgarh
Day 4 - Kumbhalgarh / Ranakpur
Day 5 - Kumbhalgarh to Haldighati to Nathdwara
Day 6 - Nathdwara to Udaipur
Day 7 - Udaiput to Chittor and back
Day 8 - Udaipur sightseeing
Day 9 - Back to Vapi

I put this up on tripadvisor also and was advised to stay 2 nights in Abu. Not sure if it is worth staying 2 nights there.
Was also advised to go from Kumbhalgarh straight to Udaipur via Haldighati and Nathdwara. Seems like a good idea but not sure if kids will be comfortable, seems a bit hectic.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:19   #28
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries

Hello Friends

Me and my wife are planning to visit Udaipur and Ranthambore 1st week december. As per my bookings i am staying 3 nights in Udaipur , 2nights in Ranthambore. My plan is

day 1
drive mumbai -udaipur stay at udaipur at night

day2,3,4
stay at udaipur so local and nearby sightseeings like haldi ghati etc

day 4
drive to ranthambore

day 5
ranthambore

day 6 & 7
back to mumbai

I have a safari gx

My queries as follows

1>can i bypass ahmedabad city, which route to take
2>This is important query?. The google map shows 3 route to Ranthambore from Udaipur
a>via tonk
b>via chittoragarh and bundi
c>via kota

which route to take, I do not mind bit extra km if i can get good roads. The main issue is safety. On my last trip to south india i had a bad experience when i took an arterial road with locals [one guy banged into my stationary car and i had to pay up , wasting valuable time in police station ]

I am leaving on 2nd December. Any help regarding above laong with some inputs are most welcomed

Admins , apologize for posting similar queries in 2 forums as I am unaware which is the best post since the answers required are quick. If found inappropriate please do the needful.

Best Regards
Old 18th October 2013, 14:14   #29
BHPian

I am planning for trip to Udaipur from Mumbai along with my wife in my Punto.

I am planning to start from Mumbai on 3rd Nov ~6 AM and reach Udaipur by evening. Earlier posts suggest that the roads are in good shape. As per previous posts I am planning to take Bombay-Dahisar-Vapi-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Himatnagar-Udaipur route. Please let me know the current road conditions. And I have never taken these roads so any tips will be helpful. Thank you!
Old 18th October 2013, 14:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I am planning for trip to Udaipur from Mumbai along with my wife in my Punto.

I am planning to start from Mumbai on 3rd Nov ~6 AM and reach Udaipur by evening. Earlier posts suggest that the roads are in good shape. As per previous posts I am planning to take Bombay-Dahisar-Vapi-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Himatnagar-Udaipur route. Please let me know the current road conditions. And I have never taken these roads so any tips will be helpful. Thank you!
Roads are excellent.
Avoid the Ankleshwar-Bharuch bypass by going through the 2 towns to avoid perpetual traffic jams.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks