Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 22:11   #76
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries

Returned back to Pune from Udaipur yesterday, I have taken the same route:

Udaipur-Shamlaji-Modasa-Lunawada-Godhra-Kalol-Halol-Vadodara. Excellent route with hardly any traffic and one can easily cruise at 100-120 speeds without any problem.

This time I was a little wiser and used the Golden Bridge at Bharuch and I was through without any traffic jams. The traffic jam at By-pass bridge was so huge that the trucks queue had piled up on the flyover at Bharuch. This is the flyover which one needs to go under to reach Bharuch city.

Golden Gate bridge had no jams although the traffic was slow moving but it was wonderfully managed by the Policemen there. I strongly suggest anyone against taking a risk of trying the NH8 Bharuch by-pass and getting stuck there for long hours. The risk is simply not worth it!

I messed up again I took the wrong flyover going to Nashik after Godbunder and decided based on Google maps to come via Mumbra-Shilpata route till Panvel. This was the worst decision of my life on that day. The road was horrible and very very heavily infested with slow moving trucks especially in the night period.

This road has very big speedbreakers and plenty of them and its very easy to not notice them as they are not demarcated. Please do not go by this route whatever be the time taken for other routes to cross to Panvel.

I started from Udaipur at 9 am and reach home at 1:30 am, so while returning it took me 16 hours (deducting half hour for Shilpata traffic)

There is some construction work going on before NE1-Vadodara-Ahmedabad and there are big traffic jams which can easily go beyond 1-2 hours. So if one wants to travel to Udaipur the best way is to go via Godhra.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 11th February 2015 at 22:14.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 22:38   #77
Team-BHP Support

Glad to gear that you had a safe journey Amit ji.

As I mentioned over the PM, we had a terrible time during our trip to Ahmedabad last time. What used to be ideally a 4 hour trip, took 7 long and excruciatingly painful hours for us that day.

The first major block was at the NH-8 bypass road bypassing Bharuch. Trucks had piled up as it turned out to be a one-way route with the cops managing the traffic. We wasted 2 hours here. The next pileup was at the first tollbooth before Baroda, the L&T IDPL one. All the vehicles that cleared the previous mess would pile up here and because some of them may not tender the exact change for the toll, each vehicle would spend at least a minute at the toll gate. We wasted half an hour here. The last one was right before the NE-1 expressway begins. A flyover is under construction and we have to take a nasty diversion which has no tarmac. We wasted another half an hour clearing this mess.

Glad you took the Godhra route and not the Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar one via the ORR.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 20:11   #78

Hi Everyone:
I am planning to drive to Udaipur on the 1st of April, 2015. This is my first time going to Rajasthan by road. I will be starting from Andheri at 6am. I am confused between which route to take? From the threads above it seems two routes are possible:

a. Baroda - Ahmedabad via NE1 and then onwards via NH8
b. Baroda - Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji and then onwards vis NH8

Would appreciate any inputs on the above routes and the approximate difference in the distance in case either route is taken. Are the bottlenecks described above still there? (such as flyover at the start of NE1 etc)

Would also appreciate any inputs on the condition of the Sardar Bridge on the Narmada. Is it still recommended to take the Golden Bridge over this route?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th March 2015, 20:55   #79
BHPian

[quote=ashver9133;3673579]
a. Baroda - Ahmedabad via NE1 and then onwards via NH8
b. Baroda - Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji and then onwards vis NH8
Choose route b. No doubt its better because of sparse traffic and saves the traffic jam of Ahmedabad Sardar Patel ring road. Also 1.5 months back when I travelled there was some construction going on the route from Vadodara to Ahmedabad just before NE1 Toll naka. I was stuck for 1 hour and had to jump my car over a broken divider to make a U turn. I used the Godhra route which is in great condition and one can do 120 kmph easily.

Two things to take care on this route:
1) The road is very lonely in the night, but safe.
2) Bypass Godhra and go below the bridge at lunawada as the road to Modasa takes a 90 degree turn below the bridge.

Quote:
Is it still recommended to take the Golden Bridge over this route?
Yes its highly recommended! Do not get into the temptation to use Bharuch by-pass. Even if you miss the entry to Ankleshwar its ok to take a U turn and come back rather than repenting later.

I was stuck for 2 hours inspite of going wrong side for 3 plus kms to avoid the traffic jam.

Whereas there is no traffic jam at Golden bridge as two policemen are managing the show and even the traffic through Ankleshwar and Bharuch was sparse. I was through this entire Golden Bridge episode in less than 20 minutes and again back on the highway.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 20:58   #80

Thanks Amit!...I think I will stick to your recommendations. Also is there any landmark or sign which I can follow to take the Golden Bridge?
Old 19th September 2015, 22:46   #81
BHPian

Mumbai - Rajasthan Road Trip in December

Hello all. This is my first post on TeamBHP and i am asking help/ guidance from experienced friends on planning my road trip to Rajasthan in decemeber.

We are 2 families & plan to hire a XUV/ scorpio from zoom or justride as both of us have sedans and want to travel together. Both of us can drive far distances and are experienced highway drivers. while we have travelled much of south in car but we havent explored north.

here is our plan

Questions:
1) Mumbai - Udaipur - can we do it in a day given we have kids with us. Plan to start early morning. will we reach Udaipur by 8-9 PM ?
2) Jaisalmer - Ahmedabad can be done in a day ? roads are good ?
3) Is food available through the highways ? again question is more for children than for us.
Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries-rajashtan.jpg  

Old 19th October 2015, 20:37   #82
BHPian

Guys, i am planning to do a Pune - Kumbhalgarh trip in last week of October, 2015.

Can I leverage upon the below Mumbai - Udaipur route proposed in the above posts ? Any latest updates on the road conditions ?

Pune - Mumbai - Vadodara - Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji - Udaipur.

Can anyone further advise on what would be an advisable route from Udaipur onwards to Kumbhalgarh ?

Last edited by somitra1981 : 19th October 2015 at 20:38. Reason: Added text
Old 28th October 2015, 10:21   #83
BHPian

Mumbai - Rajasthan Queries

Hi Guys,

Planning to do a road trip to Rajasthan as per the below itinerary:
1. 02nd Nov 15 - Mumbai to Mount Abu.
2. 05th Nov 15 - Mount Abu to Jaisalmer
3. 08th Nov 15 - Jaisalmer to Jodhpur
4. 11th Nov 15 - Jodhpur to Udaipur
5. 14th Nov 15 - Udaipur to Mumbai

Would appreciate if I can get advice on the route that is to be taken on all the above legs. Most critical would be the advise on whether the situation at Bharuch has improved or is it still the same. Should one the take a right from Ankleshwar and use NH8 or use the NH6. GM shows the route as NH8 all the way.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Cheers.
Old 28th October 2015, 11:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Questions:
1) Mumbai - Udaipur - can we do it in a day given we have kids with us. Plan to start early morning. will we reach Udaipur by 8-9 PM ?

3) Is food available through the highways ? again question is more for children than for us.
Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Guys, i am planning to do a Pune - Kumbhalgarh trip in last week of October, 2015.

Pune - Mumbai - Vadodara - Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji - Udaipur.

Can anyone further advise on what would be an advisable route from Udaipur onwards to Kumbhalgarh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyb View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning to do a road trip to Rajasthan as per the below itinerary:
1. 02nd Nov 15 - Mumbai to Mount Abu.
2. 05th Nov 15 - Mount Abu to Jaisalmer
3. 08th Nov 15 - Jaisalmer to Jodhpur
4. 11th Nov 15 - Jodhpur to Udaipur
5. 14th Nov 15 - Udaipur to Mumbai

Would appreciate if I can get advice on the route that is to be taken on all the above legs. Most critical would be the advise on whether the situation at Bharuch has improved or is it still the same. Should one the take a right from Ankleshwar and use NH8 or use the NH6. GM shows the route as NH8 all the way.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Cheers.
Mumbai - Udaipur can be done in a day. I did it on Oct 11th as part of my Bangalore - Rajasthan road trip. We did it in 12 hours 45 mins from Thane.

Lot of eateries on the way. No issues with eateries. Took
Mumbai - Vadodara - Halol- Godhra - Modasa - Shamlaji - Udaipur to avoid Ahmedabad. Good roads all the way. Also took the Golden bridge to avoid jams on NH8.

From Udaipur, took Pindwara road and turned off at Jaswantgarh to Kumbalgarh. Good roads.

Team BHPian hvkumar (HVK sir) helped us with all routes and trip planning.
Feel free to PM me in case you need more info on routes. I visited Udaipur, Johpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur & Agra.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 15:04   #85
BHPian

I am planning a road trip from Mumbai to Agra next week. I have posted my query here.

Route upto Udaipur is common and i seek your advise on the route to be taken.

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks
benzinblut is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 15:21   #86
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I am planning a road trip from Mumbai to Agra next week. I have posted my query here.

Route upto Udaipur is common and i seek your advise on the route to be taken.

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks
Hi,

You should follow

Mumbai-Vapi-Ankileshwar CITY-Bharuch-Vadodara-Godhra-Modassa- Udaipur- Chittorgarh- Bhilwara- Kishangarh-Jaipur-Dausa- Bharatpur- Agra

TIPS:
1. Turn left for Ankileshwar city from NH-8 as per the direction marked for city. Rejoin NH-8 after Bharuch Golden Bridge.

2. Try to reach Chittorgarh on day 1 as hotels in Chittorgarh are at 1/5 of hotel rates in Udapur. If you do not intend to go inside Chittorgarh, stay at Chitrakoot Resort (Rs 1200-1500) on NH-79 just before you turn left on Chittorgarh-Bhilwara bypass.

3. Do not get fooled to choose state highway from Udaipur to Chittorgarh, Make sure you are on GQ (NH-79). Signboards are helping SH toll booth operators.

4. Visit Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, if time permits.

5. Take by-pass before Agra to reach Taj Mahal Area.

Last edited by Wanderers : 30th October 2015 at 15:23.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 15:41   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi,
Thanks for your prompt replies.

Quote:
TIPS:
2. Try to reach Chittorgarh on day 1 as hotels in Chittorgarh are at 1/5 of hotel rates in Udapur. If you do not intend to go inside Chittorgarh, stay at Chitrakoot Resort (Rs 1200-1500) on NH-79 just before you turn left on Chittorgarh-Bhilwara bypass.

3. Do not get fooled to choose state highway from Udaipur to Chittorgarh, Make sure you are on GQ (NH-79). Signboards are helping SH toll booth operators.
Thanks. This info is really helpful. I think it should be NH-76 from Udaipur to Chittorgarh and NH-79 after that.

Quote:
TIPS:
4. Visit Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, if time permits.
Thanks for your recommendation, but it looks difficult.
benzinblut is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 23:30   #88
BHPian

Bumping up this old thread.
Can someone please suggest the best route from Mumbai Udaipur and back. Planning to do this in the third week of Jan.

Brief plan:
22 Jan: Mumbai to Udaipur
23 and 24 Jan: Sightseeing in Udaipur
25 Jan: Back to Mumbai.

Would be driving with family. Don't plan to do any night driving. Hope that 2 days is enough to see the main attractions in Udaipur.
Old 5th January 2016, 23:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Bumping up this old thread.
Can someone please suggest the best route from Mumbai Udaipur and back. Planning to do this in the third week of Jan.

Brief plan:
22 Jan: Mumbai to Udaipur
23 and 24 Jan: Sightseeing in Udaipur
25 Jan: Back to Mumbai.

Would be driving with family. Don't plan to do any night driving. Hope that 2 days is enough to see the main attractions in Udaipur.
I did this route on 01st Jan. This is what I did -

Mumbai-Wapi-Surat-Bharuch-Vadodara-Halol-Godhra-Modasa-Ratanpur-Udaipur. Road after Vadodara is state highway, but in excellent shape and traffic is far less than on NH8. Bypass Godhra and save some 15 minutes.

I crossed Narmada through Sardar Setu (NH8). Authorities now divert all small vehicles from both sides on one bridge and all trucks from both sides on another. Therefore there was no problems at all. I crossed the bridge in less than 10 mins.
ntomer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 10:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Hope that 2 days is enough to see the main attractions in Udaipur.
Yes - 2 days are more than enough to do the site seeing in Udaipur.
Route via Godhra is good. Recommend you take an auto in Udaipur as it would be faster through the narrow lanes and no headache to search for parking etc.

Should be 13-14 hrs drive from Mumbai through Udaipur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks