Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 15:48   #91

Re: Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries

Hi everyone,

I am planning a 2 day trip to Udaipur next week for my wedding anniversary. Best way to enjoy I thought would be to book into the Taj Lake Palace and drive down to Udaipur in my Skoda Rapid 1.6cc diesel
I stay at Santa Cruz, Mumbai. Any suggestions on what route to take and what is the best time to depart in the morning? While going to Udaipur, I would prefer to be there on the same day. Based on the time duration (11.5 odd hours), its almost akin to a drive down to Goa.
On the return journey, since we will check out only post 2 pm, plan to spend the night in Baroda, and carry on to Mumbai next day in the morning.
Your views and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Aashish
Old 20th April 2016, 09:46   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
Hi everyone,

I am planning a 2 day trip to Udaipur next week for my wedding anniversary. Best way to enjoy I thought would be to book into the Taj Lake Palace and drive down to Udaipur in my Skoda Rapid 1.6cc diesel
I stay at Santa Cruz, Mumbai. Any suggestions on what route to take and what is the best time to depart in the morning? While going to Udaipur, I would prefer to be there on the same day. Based on the time duration (11.5 odd hours), its almost akin to a drive down to Goa.
On the return journey, since we will check out only post 2 pm, plan to spend the night in Baroda, and carry on to Mumbai next day in the morning.
Your views and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Aashish
You might want to consider the relatively newer Leela Udaipur,its simply amazing.

Straightforward route:Santacruz-Godbunder-Surat-Ahmedabad SP Ringroad-Himatnagar-Shamlaji-Udaipur.Budget for a 13-15hour drive with breaks.Should you need to break,Best Western Takshashila is an excellent place on the ring road itself.
Old 20th April 2016, 12:25   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You might want to consider the relatively newer Leela Udaipur,its simply amazing.

Straightforward route:Santacruz-Godbunder-Surat-Ahmedabad SP Ringroad-Himatnagar-Shamlaji-Udaipur.Budget for a 13-15hour drive with breaks.Should you need to break,Best Western Takshashila is an excellent place on the ring road itself.
Oh, ok. I thought the road from Baroda - Godhra was a couple of hours faster. You still advice the Ahmedabad route?
Old 20th April 2016, 14:05   #94
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishtrivedi View Post
I thought the road from Baroda - Godhra was a couple of hours faster. You still advice the Ahmedabad route?
On 23/34 Feb 2016, I rode from Udaipur to Pune via Godhra mainly because two-wheelers are not allowed on Ahmedabad-Vadodara NE1 Expressway. It turned out to be blessing in disguise. I enjoyed riding on the beautiful 4-lane GJ SH 5 with less traffic plus excellent meal at Hotel Trupti, Godhra bypass.

Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries-dsc06758.jpg

Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries-dsc06762.jpg

Mumbai - Udaipur : Route Queries-udaipurpune.jpg

The details start from here.
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 09:05   #95
BHPian

Hi guys, planning a trip to Delhi in the middle of HOT May. I read somewhere that number plates are required to be painted in Yellow in Gujrat cities. what is the reality ?
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo74 View Post
Hi guys, planning a trip to Delhi in the middle of HOT May. I read somewhere that number plates are required to be painted in Yellow in Gujrat cities. what is the reality ?
You mean headlights right ? no rule that i heard of about number plates.
We drove from Mumbai to Udaipur in dec and back in Jan.

Even the headllights rule is not there anymore. But many vehicles just put a electical yellow tape on the headlamps just to be safe from the cops.
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:48   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
You mean headlights right ? no rule that i heard of about number plates......cops.
Yes, probably it was about headlights. I should better carry a yellow tape, just in case. Thanks for the heads up.
Regards.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:36   #98
BHPian

Mumbai to Udaipur and Nathdwara route queries

Hi Everyone

We (myself, dad (60) and mom (55)) are planning to drive to Udaipur and then to Nathdwara on Sept 15 and return back to Bombay on Sept 18.

We will be driving our trusted Fiesta and following Google maps. Anyone has any suggestions on the route I would love to hear it. Additionally if there is something that we should see on the route or avoid would really appreciate your all suggestions.

Moderator's Note: Please search the board for an answer to your question before you decide to post it for someone to answer. And even if you do not find an existing answer then you should search for a relevant thread on a similar topic to post the question rather than opening a new thread. Opening a new thread should be the last option.

Your thread has been migrated to this existing thread.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th September 2016 at 14:12.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:43   #99
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Udaipur and Nathdwara route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronz_2507 View Post
Anyone has any suggestions on the route I would love to hear it. Additionally if there is something that we should see on the route or avoid would really appreciate your all suggestions.
Surprisingly Google maps shows a route from Vadodra to Godhra and then onto Udaipur. I would prefer the route via Ahmedabad on the NE1 and then onto NH48 to Udaipur. The NE1 is a dream to drive on. You don't need to enter Ahmedabad and can take a the exit onto the ring road and then drive along the ring road to exit on NH48 towards Udaipur.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 13:50   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone

We (myself, dad (60) and mom (55)) are planning to drive to Udaipur and then to Nathdwara on Sept 15 and return back to Bombay on Sept 18.

We will be driving our trusted Fiesta and following Google maps. Anyone has any suggestions on the route I would love to hear it. Additionally if there is something that we should see on the route or avoid would really appreciate your all suggestions.
Hey, You will get answers to most of your questions on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-3.html

I am scheduled to travel to Nathdwara with my family from the 17th to 19th of September. Have travelled by road last yr after checking on Team BHP.

The drive is really nice and roads are amazing.Although the constant toll Nakas in Gujurat are irritating and they refuse to take toll for the whole trip in one go.

Go via Godhra saves a lot of time, we only stopped thrice during the whole trip last time, one was at Kamat a little outside Mumbai, then at Sugar N Spice after Bharuch(I recommend you stop here, the restrooms are very clean) and then once at some petrol pump in Rajasthan(don't remember where).

We left at 5 in the morning and were in Nathdwara by 8:30,our family liked going by car so much that we now prefer it instead of going by Train via Falna/Mowli.

Last edited by bblost : 6th September 2016 at 16:49. Reason: Minor mistakes
chirag08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 14:23   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone

Hi Ronz,

You should find your answers on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-scorpio.html.. have written up my drive details to Rajasthan.

I would also advice you to go via Godhra.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:03   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone

Roads in Gujarat and Rajasthan are in very good shape and you can make good time.
I would recommend going via NE1. My experience using the SH5 was not too good (Travelled on Modasa > Godhra > Vadodara route on 11th Sept 2016)

Just before you are about to reach Ankleshwar, keep an eye on the traffic situation on the Narmada bridge on google maps. That should give you a good idea if a detour via Golden Bridge is warranted or not. Traffic Police there allows you to cross the Narmada bridge on the wrong side. However, be careful.

Do try out onion kacchori and Kota kacchori in Udaipur! Though they a little heavy on the stomach; however the taste is too good!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:46   #103
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and suggestions. Just returned yesterday late night and boy oh boy what a road!! We followed Google Maps completely and it was extremely smooth sailing left Mumbai at 6am on Thursday and reached Udaipur at around 7-7:30pm after taking 3 breaks. While returning we got stuck in a horrendous rush near Bhiwandi and it took 14 hours.

Would I recommend the route to anyone and drive on it again? Heck Yeah!!
Old 20th September 2016, 12:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While returning we got stuck in a horrendous rush near Bhiwandi and it took 14 hours.
Where exactly was this? Is it that infamous bridge over Narmada river?
Old 20th September 2016, 12:44   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Where exactly was this? Is it that infamous bridge over Narmada river?
I should have rephrased my sentence total journey took 14 hours. There was a jam over the Narmada river, thankfully we were a little observant and followed loads of cars on the wrong side and by passed that. (added 1 hour)

We took Chinchoti Anjur Phata to bypass Vasai bridge which was showing a 2 hour slow down and were stuck in truck traffic. It was nerve racking since it was night, raining and we were the only car stuck. For any fellow motorist just be a little observant since all small vehicles (LMV) were bypassing this traffic by going on the wrong side and by passing all the traffic caused by the truck check post.

I know it is against the traffic rules but just be a little careful and cognisant that you are on the wrong side and give right of way to on coming traffic.

Most Viewed