Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 15:12   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

During my trip in June '17, I had taken the Vizag bypass. The road was not very good but more importantly, it was full of trucks driven aggressively. I had a couple of close shaves there. On my return, I came through the city.

While entering Vijaywada, there's a right towards Eluru road which continues as the bypass. At this junction, there are a few hotels - Innotel and The Kay is what I could find now. I haven't tried either. I once stayed at place called Swarna Palace (in Governerpet area) which was a very good experience. This place would be a 3-4 km detour from the bypass road.

For MAPs, I split the whole route into touchpoints and feed them individually. For day 1, you can enter your hotel details.

Hope it helps in some way.

Regards,
-Ashis
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 09:52   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
1- Landmarks to feed into google maps, so that it will not show the shortest route via Tirupati.
Feed Hyderabad in Google Map on day 1

Quote:
2- Any good hotels on Vijaywada - Hyderabad bypass. I prefer to book things in advance to have a fixed target during a day.
I never stayed in any hotel in Vijayawada. In my Hyd-Kol trip I stay in a hotel in Srikakulam; but find several decent looking hotels on the Inner Ring Road in Vijayawada while passing by.

Quote:
During my onward journey, I passed through Vizag city fearing the bypass is not in good shape. I believe the state highway is a 2-way road although it will not be difficult during daytime given the road is smooth.
Yes, it is a 2-way road. Also, I cannot promise a spotless road; but if you cross Vizag during daytime, you will save time if you take the state highway
Old 14th December 2017, 16:16   #573
BHPian

Thanks Ashis, Krish for the inputs.

I completed the journey on 2nd December and went through Vizag city. Had a stay at Vijaywada and took hyderabad route from there.

Roads are well maintained all the way and it's less stressful indeed.
Old 4th September 2018, 19:04   #574
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I might have to drive up to Vizag sometime this year and plan to take the standard route i.e. Bangalore - Tirupati - Naidupeta - Ongole - Vijaywada - Vizag. Any suggestions or recommendations otherwise? How is the condition of NH-16 (formerly known as NH-5) now? Any recommendations on night-stay for break-journey at Vijaywada or Rajahmundry?

Thanks in advance...
Old 4th September 2018, 20:32   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi all,

I might have to drive up to Vizag sometime this year and plan to take the standard route i.e. Bangalore - Tirupati - Naidupeta - Ongole - Vijaywada - Vizag. Any suggestions or recommendations otherwise? How is the condition of NH-16 (formerly known as NH-5) now? Any recommendations on night-stay for break-journey at Vijaywada or Rajahmundry?

Thanks in advance...
Though I did not take the road, many of my friends drive regularly between Nellore-Vijayawada and I can assure the drive will be quite a breeze.
The whole route between Blore-Visakhapatnam is well maintained barring few bad patches between Eluru - Rajahmundry though you might face heavy traffic in Vijayawada.

If you start early , I presume you could break the journey in Rajahmundry [ about 800 km] but be prepared to face humongous traffic in Vijayawada since you'd be crossing the city in the peak hours [ there is no escape for vehicles on Chennai-Kolkata highway]

if you start late in the morning, I'd suggest to break journey in Vijayawada , plan to hit Vijayawada after 10pm.

You can have sumptuous Paradise Biryani [ Hyderabad Paradise branch] and proceed to Ramavarappadu Ring [ decent options - Inn hotel , Kay Hotel ] where you could wake up early in the morning and drive away . Since the hotels are on the Northern part of the city on Vizag highway, you won't face much traffic.

Last edited by poised2drive : 4th September 2018 at 20:34.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 20:53   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
The whole route between Blore-Visakhapatnam is well maintained barring few bad patches between Eluru - Rajahmundry though you might face heavy traffic in Vijayawada.
Thanks poised2drive. I have tasted Vijaywada traffic long back and the memories are anything but pleasant Not sure why on earth could they not provide a bypass to the city

Quote:
If you start early , I presume you could break the journey in Rajahmundry [ about 800 km] but be prepared to face humongous traffic in Vijayawada since you'd be crossing the city in the peak hours
Agree! For this very reason, I had been planning to break journey in Vijaywada and start from there early morning before the traffic builds up.

You can have sumptuous Paradise Biryani [ Hyderabad Paradise branch] and proceed to Ramavarappadu Ring [ decent options - Inn hotel , Kay Hotel ] where you could wake up early in the morning and drive away . Since the hotels are on the Northern part of the city on Vizag highway, you won't face much traffic.[/quote]

Makes sense! Thanks, buddy.
Old 4th September 2018, 22:40   #577
BHPian

Quote:

Makes sense! Thanks, buddy.

Btw, Paradise is on the left side after you cross Benz Circle . You won't miss it !

You can pm me for any other info !
Old 5th September 2018, 12:25   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Though I did not take the road, many of my friends drive regularly between Nellore-Vijayawada and I can assure the drive will be quite a breeze.
My cousin who travelled from Eluru till Gudur a couple of weeks back told me there are several rough patches. May be due to the rains. Also the traffic has increased a lot over the last few years as it is the capital region. I would not advice any one to enter Vijayawada city during rush hours. It took me more than an 2 hours to enter Hyderabad highway from Hanuman Junction, what with flyover construction work going on and several diversions.

Quote:
When I last covered the section in July, found terrible patches between Annavaram and Rajahmundry. This stretch took nearly 2hrs. After Rajahmundry it gets a little better although I would still not recommend doing >80 speeds. Once you approach Hanuman Junction, dense traffic will pin you down.

If you can manage to reach Vijayawada by 10 or 11AM, I'd recommend you to hit Guntur-Narsaraopeta-Vinukonda-Dornala-Kurnool road. You can reach Kurnool by 7PM, where you can break for the night and with an early start you can reach Bangalore in 5hrs.

Incase you are late to Vijayawada, you might want to directly proceed to Hyderabad via. Gunadala, Governerpet bypass and halt at Hyderabad before resuming for Bangalore.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:54   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance...
I drove this road a few years ago and it was mostly a breeze. Started at 4am in the morning from Whitefield and was in Vizag at my hotel by 8pm. It should be even faster now as Tirupati road was in bad shape then and I wasted quite a bit of time there.
Old 5th September 2018, 13:22   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
I would not advice any one to enter Vijayawada city during rush hours. It took me more than an 2 hours to enter Hyderabad highway from Hanuman Junction, what with flyover construction work going on and several diversions.
Entering Hyderabad Highway from Chennai-Kolkatta route is extremely annoying, though it is a bit easier for vehicles entering from Vizag side. They can take the Ramavarappadu flyover, pass through Payakapuram, enter IRR, pass through Chanamolu venkatrao flyover, Bhavanipuram , Gollapudi-Hyd Highway. This will take less than 40 min in normal conditions and the traffic will be sparse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post

If you can manage to reach Vijayawada by 10 or 11AM, I'd recommend you to hit Guntur-Narsaraopeta-Vinukonda-Dornala-Kurnool road. You can reach Kurnool by 7PM, where you can break for the night and with an early start you can reach Bangalore in 5hrs.

Incase you are late to Vijayawada, you might want to directly proceed to Hyderabad via. Gunadala, Governerpet bypass and halt at Hyderabad before resuming for Bangalore.
I think going to Bangalore via Hyderabad from Vizag is a longer route . It is advisable to stay on GQ till Naidupeta and reach Blore via Tirupati and Chittoor.
Old 5th September 2018, 20:44   #581
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone, for your valuable inputs!

As I understand it, the 2 pain points on this route are (a) Vijaywada traffic and (b) road conditions between Vijaywada and Rajahmundry. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I still can't believe that the GQ plan did not provision for a bypass for Vijaywada

Also, I guess strawhat is recommending the Kurnool - Doranala - Guntur road over the Naidupeta - Ongole route. If so, how would that help me? It does not eliminate the 2 pain points above, right? Distance-wise there is not much of a difference I guess. Is it more scenic? Thoughts please?
Old 6th September 2018, 05:51   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I guess strawhat is recommending the Kurnool - Doranala - Guntur road over the Naidupeta - Ongole route. If so, how would that help me? It does not eliminate the 2 pain points above, right? Distance-wise there is not much of a difference I guess. Is it more scenic? Thoughts please?
Kurnool-Dornala-Guntur road is 2 lane as far as my memory goes. Not recommended for night travels as it passes through barren, empty stretches. My suggestion is to stick to GQ.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 11:42   #583
BHPian

Quote:

You cannot avoid the chokepoint, Vijayawada !

So it is suggested to stick to GQ regardless of the distance/traffic, unless you need some extra adventure on deserted roads
Old 6th September 2018, 17:37   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Kurnool-Dornala-Guntur road is 2 lane as far as my memory goes. Not recommended for night travels as it passes through barren, empty stretches. My suggestion is to stick to GQ.
Quote:
You cannot avoid the chokepoint, Vijayawada !

So it is suggested to stick to GQ regardless of the distance/traffic, unless you need some extra adventure on deserted roads
Points taken Will stick to the conventional route via Tirupati and then the GQ! Thanks again, guys!
Old 9th September 2018, 11:20   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You cannot avoid the chokepoint, Vijayawada
How about getting off the NH at Ongole and going via Machhilipatnam and Kakinada? Does that help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks