Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 10:03   #691
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I drove yesterday from Bangalore to Vizag.
Here is my update on the road conditions.
+1. We drove from Bengaluru to Vizag last Friday, on our journey to Bhubaneswar. I took the same route described by you till Vizag. We left Bengaluru at 4.30 AM and reached Vizag by night 12 AM, including a large number of breaks.
The road between Vijayawada and Rajamundry is a nightmare. A distance of merely 170 odd kms takes more than 5 hours!
In my opinion, the Tirupati-Naidupeta section is way nicer than the Vijayawada-Rajamundry stretch. Also, I was appalled to see two wheelers riding around as if its some gully road and not a national highway! We even saw a bike with four pillion riders, including a woman and 3 kids
Tolls are really wasted on this stretch. And the drive between Vijayawada-Rajamundry is really exhausting.
Chinmay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:39   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
+1. We drove from Bengaluru to Vizag last Friday, on our journey to Bhubaneswar. I took the same route described by you till Vizag.
Did you take the Puttur road, share your experience for everyone's benefit. The real worrisome road on the entire journey is Vijayawada -Rajahmundry. Renigunta- Naidupeta is manageable.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:24   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Did you take the Puttur road, share your experience for everyone's benefit. The real worrisome road on the entire journey is Vijayawada -Rajahmundry. Renigunta- Naidupeta is manageable.
My bad! I missed the most important segment. I took the Puttur route to Renigunta, via Chitoor, Tayyuru, Pallipattu, and Karveti Nagar. As you have already stated, this stretch is largely good, except for stray sections of spead breakers. However, the drive was pleasant because of an relatively early start. We also did not find significant traffic on this route, except while crossing Chittoor. A friend had suggested the Pakala Chandragiri route, but I am glad I did not take this route. The Puttur route is also decent in terms of small places for tea/coffee breaks during the morning drive. We crossed Renigunta around 9 AM, which is decent considering that we took at least 3 long pitstops for our dog. Thank you @srvm for this route option!
And yes, Vijayawada Rajamundry stretch is a pain! At times, one has to literally drive at around 30kmph on a highway for quite some time. I just can't believe this is a national highway connecting Chennai and Kolkata.
Chinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:01   #694
BHPian

Quote:
I drove yesterday from Bangalore to Vizag.
Here is my update on the road conditions.

Bangalore - Renigunta: After reading many posts on this forum I was most worried about the Chittoor- Tirupati stretch. Bangalore to Chittoor was quiet easy, except the bumpy ride due to concrete roads.

From Chittoor I had taken the Puttur road(as suggested by srvm, thanks again) the initial 5 kms had too many speed breakers, was thinking whether I took the right decision or not. After that the road was very good, very wide, no much traffic at 6am, I was easily doing 100kmph, except for speed breakers at towns( which can be classified as scientific compared to Bangalore's unscientific speed breakers). This road is also scenic, driving through calm villages.

From Puttur to Renigunta is a tolled 4 lane Highway.
We packed our food, stopped at petrol stations for petrol and bathroom usage. Started at 2:30am, reached by 10:30pm.

Quote:
My bad! I missed the most important segment. I took the Puttur route to Renigunta, via Chitoor, Tayyuru, Pallipattu, and Karveti Nagar. As you have already stated, this stretch is largely good, except for stray sections of spead breakers. However, the drive was pleasant because of an relatively early start. We also did not find significant traffic on this route, except while crossing Chittoor. A friend had suggested the Pakala Chandragiri route, but I am glad I did not take this route. The Puttur route is also decent in terms of small places for tea/coffee breaks during the morning drive. We crossed Renigunta around 9 AM, which is decent considering that we took at least 3 long pitstops for our dog. Thank you @srvm for this route option!
Thanks to you both for updating the status of Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta section here
I'm happy that the road here remains good. Also glad that my suggestion helped you both.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:07   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Vijayawada-Rajahmundry: Now comes the actual nightmare of a road. Many diversions, full of potholes, atleast hundred basket ball ( somebody in this forum described it that way, it's actually 2 basket ball sized) sized potholes every 1km, and the cherry on the cake is you will be paying toll for all the horror. Not able to do more than 50kmph, all the while my poor car taking the beating. My BP was rising all along, venting my anger at the toll booths, shouting at the collection agents( yes there are toll collection agents even though fast tag is used).

I had driven last month from BLR to BHUBANESWAR. I share the same experience as you.
The potholes are so big that it can be rim bending and tyre bursting. I could see couple of cars parked in the side with deflated tyres.
I was very livid with this road and I was wondering why on earth it is the part of golden Quadrilateral.
redcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:04   #696
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am planning to travel Bangalore-Bhubaneswar this month with one stop in Vijayawada. As advised by SRVM, I am planning to take the Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta route instead of Tirupati. However, as we will start a little late around 8 in the morning, i guess we will be crossing Chittoor around 10/10:30 AM. Any idea how bad will be the traffic that time? Also, we will be a family with 2 kids, so any specific COVID related precautions need to take, apart from the standard sanitation stuffs? Plan to stay back in Novotel in Vijayawada. Will having dinner in the hotel be safe?

Request Redcruiser and Chinmay to kindly share your experience.

Thanks in advance
DigitalDragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:36   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hi Folks,

I am planning to travel Bangalore-Bhubaneswar this month with one stop in Vijayawada. As advised by SRVM, I am planning to take the Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta route instead of Tirupati. However, as we will start a little late around 8 in the morning, i guess we will be crossing Chittoor around 10/10:30 AM. Any idea how bad will be the traffic that time? Also, we will be a family with 2 kids, so any specific COVID related precautions need to take, apart from the standard sanitation stuffs? Plan to stay back in Novotel in Vijayawada. Will having dinner in the hotel be safe?

Thanks in advance
Chittoor town is doable anytime of the day. There are speedbreakers every 20-30 meters (thankfully not unscientific like Bangalore ones) when you enter town as well as when you exit it. Otherwise it is similar to any other small town. However, no good restaurant for food or bio break. Even in worst case, you'll cross it in 20 minutes.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 17:47   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Chittoor town is doable anytime of the day. There are speedbreakers every 20-30 meters (thankfully not unscientific like Bangalore ones) when you enter town as well as when you exit it. Otherwise it is similar to any other small town. However, no good restaurant for food or bio break. Even in worst case, you'll cross it in 20 minutes.
As @srvm has already said, Chittoor is doable any time of the day. Perhaps, you will encounter some extra traffic, but thats about it. Bio-breaks may be an issue though.
You don't need to take any special precautions as such for your travel. Load up your fastag wallet, get your vehicle checked, and carry some food and beverages for the family. then, you are good to go. Once you cross Naidupeta, you can munch the miles much faster till Vijayawada as the roads are awesome. It took me about 11 hours with numerous breaks (more than 2 hours) to reach Vijayawada. Although, it is advisable to start a little earlier, say around 6 AM, to avoid truck traffic.
For your stay, I think Novotel and the likes are reliable. Ensure that you see the rooms getting sanitized to your satisfaction. You may talk to them about this, and they would certainly co-operate. Order food in your room and its safe. Avoid sitting at the restaurant if you can, just to be on the safer side. You could also pack some lunch for the next day from there. I tend to trust known hotels more than unknown places in such a situation.
A word of caution: If you plan to reach Bhubaneswar the next day, you must start really early, as the roads between Vijayawada and Rajamundry are horrible. This stretch may take about 5-6 hours depending on the traffic, although the distance is hardly 175 odd kilometers.
Happy driving and have a safe journey!
Chinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 17:28   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Chittoor town is doable ....
Quote:
As @srvm has already said, Chittoor is doable any time of the day. Perhaps, you will encounter some extra traffic,....
Thanks to both of you.
I plan to start on 25th around 8 AM. Lets see how it goes, will keep posting relevant info. Just to mention, I did BLR-BBSR in Dec 2019 and hence I am aware about the overall route situation. My bad, I could not write a note post the trip. But this time for sure. I also plan to post a VLOG in Youtube this time. Last time i took 2 breaks while going, BZA and VSKP, but on return only Vijayawada. Yes, BZA-BBSR will easily take around 12 hours and hence need to start early.

My queries were primarily from COVID perspective and if any recent road deterioration etc. in last one year. Also, I was not aware about the Chittoor-Puttur road.

Thanks again guys!!!
DigitalDragon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 11:37   #700
BHPian

Dear All,
Do check out my travelogue on my Road trip from Bangalore to Cuttack via Vijayawada, Vizag and Bhubaneswar.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ravelogue.html (Bangalore to Cuttack Road Trip: A detailed travelogue)

Do rate it if you like it.

Thanks and Regards
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:39   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore - Renigunta: After reading many posts on this forum I was most worried about the Chittoor- Tirupati stretch. Bangalore to Chittoor was quiet easy, except the bumpy ride due to concrete roads.

From Chittoor I had taken the Puttur road(as suggested by srvm, thanks again) the initial 5 kms had too many speed breakers, was thinking whether I took the right decision or not. After that the road was very good, very wide, no much traffic at 6am, I was easily doing 100kmph, except for speed breakers at towns( which can be classified as scientific compared to Bangalore's unscientific speed breakers). This road is also scenic, driving through calm villages.
I would greatly recommend this road, trust me not a single pot hole. The best 2 lane road in my memory.

Quote:
My bad! I missed the most important segment. I took the Puttur route to Renigunta, via Chitoor, Tayyuru, Pallipattu, and Karveti Nagar. As you have already stated, this stretch is largely good, except for stray sections of spead breakers. However, the drive was pleasant because of an relatively early start. We also did not find significant traffic on this route, except while crossing Chittoor. A friend had suggested the Pakala Chandragiri route, but I am glad I did not take this route. The Puttur route is also decent in terms of small places for tea/coffee breaks during the morning drive. We crossed Renigunta around 9 AM, which is decent considering that we took at least 3 long pitstops for our dog.
I drove from Chennai to Bangalore yesterday via Chittoor. Due to personal work, I had to take Uthukottai-Puttur-Chittoor-Bangalore route.
Thanks to your recent updates I could confidently take Puttur-Karveti nagar-Pallipattu-G D Nellore-Chittoor route without worrying about road conditions.
What a beautiful and scenic route

Thanks SKC-auto & Chinmay
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:12   #702

Quote:
We packed our food, stopped at petrol stations for petrol and bathroom usage. Started at 2:30am, reached by 10:30pm.
This is a useful post. Thanks ! I plan to drive to BZA and then to Vizag with a stop in BZA at my in-laws.

Can you recommend any petrol bunks to take bio breaks? Concerned about the cleanliness and the pandemic as I would be travalling with family.
Old 17th November 2020, 09:37   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnimidhun View Post
This is a useful post. Thanks ! I plan to drive to BZA and then to Vizag with a stop in BZA at my in-laws.

Can you recommend any petrol bunks to take bio breaks? Concerned about the cleanliness and the pandemic as I would be travalling with family.
I did not take note of the cleanliness of the toilets at petrol bunks, to be frank I did not use them . I asked my wife about the cleanliness and she was OK. We used below petrol bunk which is a CoCo bunk, the other one is at ravulapalem.

We bought a sanitizer spray, pee buddy and plastic hand gloves. Just spray a good amount of sanitizer where ever you are touching, on the toilet seats, flush buttons. Throw away the gloves and continue the journey. We started having light food 1 day before the journey.

This is what I followed, these are my recommendations, most petrol bunks have decent toilets these days, better than restaurants with huge crowds.

Have a safe and enjoyable drive.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/m1C2oXkGUsZgGogcA
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:08   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to both of you.
I plan to start on 25th around 8 AM. Lets see how it goes, will keep posting relevant info. Just to mention, I did BLR-BBSR in Dec 2019 and hence I am aware about the overall route situation. My bad, I could not write a note post the trip. But this time for sure. I also plan to post a VLOG in Youtube this time. Last time i took 2 breaks while going, BZA and VSKP, but on return only Vijayawada. Yes, BZA-BBSR will easily take around 12 hours and hence need to start early.

My queries were primarily from COVID perspective and if any recent road deterioration etc. in last one year. Also, I was not aware about the Chittoor-Puttur road.

Thanks again guys!!!
Hi @digitaldragon. Did you take this trip? What are your observations and experience. Planning to take this highway all the way to Patna. Have done this route 5 times earlier, but not after 2014. This time I will have a toddler with me, so your insights will be helpful. Road conditions, the average speed you could keep and places to safely stay in Covid times. Thanks.
Old 17th November 2020, 13:30   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Quote:
I will be driving from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar, with a night halt at Vizag. Just like some of you have already done, plan is to start around 3 - 4AM and try to reach Vizag before 11PM. All the previous posts about the road conditions are very helpful but I am looking for suggestions for food breaks.

We intend to carry some food but still wanted to check if there's any good place for breakfast/lunch before Vijayawada. Having travelled from Hyderabad on all the earlier occasions, Bangalore - Vijayawada stretch is new for me and hence, I am not sure aware of options.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th November 2020 at 13:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks