Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 01:14   #736
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
We did a BLR-HYD-BZA-KKD starting on Dec 25th.

After looking at the suggestions and experiences of other members, decided to avoid Tirupati path and go via Hyd instead. No regrets at all.
Is there any covid checks in Telangana or Andhra borders due to the new strain? We have a travel need in BLR-HYD but heard some rumours about the increased checks now.
Old 4th January 2021, 13:22   #737
Senior - BHPian

My cousin travelled from Kadugodi, Bangalore to Vizag on Jan 2nd and 3rd. He left BLR around 9 am and reached Vijaywada at 7 pm via the Chitoor route.

Left Vijaywada at 7 am on Jan 3rd and reached Vizag Gurudwara Jn at 230 pm. He said lot of diversions were there from BZA to Eluru owing to 6-laning, and rough patches from Eluru to RJY.
Old 30th January 2021, 23:45   #738
Senior - BHPian

I had a drive from Rourkela to Bhubaneswar and thereon to Vizag last week. As this thread only concerns the part from BBSR to VSKP, i shall comment only on that.

The 430 km stretch from Bhubaneswar to Vizag was the first time for me after a gap of 18 years. Last I'd driven in 2002, when it was not a 4-lane highway.

I expected less than 8 hours for the trip, as it was no longer an undivided highway. But alas, the journey time was the same: the main culprit was the presence of numerous fly-overs under construction, forcing us to go on the service road for a km at least on each, with a massive speed-breaker at the middle. And that cannot be taken in any gear higher than first gear!

Most of such under-construction flyovers were between Bhubaneswar and Tangi (around a dozen in 70 kms), and a few between Tangi and Narsannapeta. There onwards till Vizag, the story repeated. But out of a dozen in that stretch, I found around 4 already completed, when compared to my trip a month ago to Narsannapeta from Vizag.

Hopefully things will get better in a year.
Old 1st March 2021, 01:39   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Road update from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore:

Bhubaneswar - Vizag:

Several stretches of road work is complete but still a lot of work is ongoing, this is the worst stretch of the route. Lot of diversions which slow down the progress.

TAKE the Bheemunipatnam - Anakapalle road to bypass the Vizag city. Several stretches of this road is complete and the overall road condition is good. Overall experience of taking this road will depend on the volume of trucks you find while on this road.

It took me 7.5 hours from Bbsr till other end of Vizag, including breaks.

Vizag - Rajahmundry:

Road is good. All bad sections have been patched up. As mentioned in earlier posts, always stick to the highway even though Google suggests otherwise. The shorter route (by 27 kms) suggested by Google goes via Rajahmundry city and is not in the best shape.

It took me 3.5 hrs from Anakapalle to Tanuku, including breaks.

Rajahmundry - Vijayawada:

Roads are very good till Eluru. After Eluru, there are a few short bad sections and quite a few diversions.

Took me 2 hours from Tanuku to Vijayawada.

Vijayawada - Naidupet:

Excellent roads, except for 3 diversions for short distances. This was the best stretch of road in this route.

Took me 4.5 hours from Vijayawada city till Naidupet including breaks and a road congestion due to an accident.

Naidupet - Puttur - Bangalore:

Roads till Tirupati airport were not in the best. That coupled with a double undivided road is very tiring. Took me an hour to cross Tirupati airport from Naidupet after which I stopped for lunch.

Roads till Puttur also continue to be bad. After crossing Puttur, roads are good and very scenic. One can't do high speeds due to the unpredictable local traffic but the road itself is good.

Took me 4.5 hrs from near Tirupati airport till Bellandur, including breaks.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st March 2021 at 01:42.
ashis89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:50   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Road update from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore:

Bhubaneswar - Vizag:

Several stretches of road work is complete but still a lot of work is ongoing, this is the worst stretch of the route. Lot of diversions which slow down the progress.

TAKE the Bheemunipatnam - Anakapalle road to bypass the Vizag city. Several stretches of this road is complete and the overall road condition is good. Overall experience of taking this road will depend on the volume of trucks you find while on this road.

It took me 7.5 hours from Bbsr till other end of Vizag, including breaks.

Vizag - Rajahmundry:

Road is good. All bad sections have been patched up. As mentioned in earlier posts, always stick to the highway even though Google suggests otherwise. The shorter route (by 27 kms) suggested by Google goes via Rajahmundry city and is not in the best shape.

It took me 3.5 hrs from Anakapalle to Tanuku, including breaks.

Rajahmundry - Vijayawada:

Roads are very good till Eluru. After Eluru, there are a few short bad sections and quite a few diversions.

Took me 2 hours from Tanuku to Vijayawada.

Vijayawada - Naidupet:

Excellent roads, except for 3 diversions for short distances. This was the best stretch of road in this route.

Took me 4.5 hours from Vijayawada city till Naidupet including breaks and a road congestion due to an accident.

Naidupet - Puttur - Bangalore:

Roads till Tirupati airport were not in the best. That coupled with a double undivided road is very tiring. Took me an hour to cross Tirupati airport from Naidupet after which I stopped for lunch.

Roads till Puttur also continue to be bad. After crossing Puttur, roads are good and very scenic. One can't do high speeds due to the unpredictable local traffic but the road itself is good.

Took me 4.5 hrs from near Tirupati airport till Bellandur, including breaks.
Hi Ashis,

Am planning a drive from BBSR to Blr in the coming weekend. Can you advise on time taken between Vishakapatnam and Vijayawada? Can you timestamp your post above with entry\exit times please.

Thanks,
Sid
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:22   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Hi Ashis,

Am planning a drive from BBSR to Blr in the coming weekend. Can you advise on time taken between Vishakapatnam and Vijayawada? Can you timestamp your post above with entry\exit times please.

Thanks,
Sid
Here you go.

Day 1:

5:15 AM - Started off from CSPur, Bhubaneswar

7:45 AM - Breakfast break after crossing Berhampur

11:30 AM - Halt near Anandapuram flyover before taking the Bheemunipatnam - Anakapelle bypass road

1:00 PM - Lunch break at BPCL Punjabi dhaba, Kasimkota (resumed by 1:50 PM)

5:30 PM - Break for coffee after crossing Tanuku (I stuck to the NH16 while crossing Rajahmundry)

7:45 PM - Reached Novotel, Vijayawada and halted for the night

Day 2:

10:15 AM - Started from the hotel

2:45 PM - Crossed Naidupet and turned towards Renigunta

4:00 PM - Lunch break at Renigunta

5:30 PM - Coffee break at Kumbokonam degree coffee, Sakrantpally

9:15 PM - Bellandur
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:22   #742
BHPian

Thanks Ashis for the update!
i think it would be better to be on NH16 till we reach Rajahmundry.
Were you stopped/checked for RT PCR reports anywhere on the route?
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:02   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Thanks Ashis for the update!
i think it would be better to be on NH16 till we reach Rajahmundry.
Were you stopped/checked for RT PCR reports anywhere on the route?
You can stick to NH16 till Naidupet, unless you are planning to go via Hyderabad.

No checking anywhere on the route or even in the hotel.

All the best for your trip.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:41   #744
BHPian

Quote:
You can stick to NH16 till Naidupet, unless you are planning to go via Hyderabad.

No checking anywhere on the route or even in the hotel.

All the best for your trip.
Thanks for the valuable info!
Was in a bind if i need to have the RT PCR tests done before i hit the roads.
Old 12th June 2021, 15:55   #745

I plan to drive from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar (and subsequently Kendujhar) next week. Will halt at Vijayawada and Vizag - have a safe place to spend the night in both cities. Need some advice on crossing the border into Odisha, though. Looks like they need a negative RT-PCR report from the last 48 hours. Do you suggest I get the test done on the way? Or should I get it done a few minutes before I leave Bangalore?
Old 12th June 2021, 18:20   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucer View Post
I plan to drive from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar (and subsequently Kendujhar) next week. Will halt at Vijayawada and Vizag - have a safe place to spend the night in both cities. Need some advice on crossing the border into Odisha, though. Looks like they need a negative RT-PCR report from the last 48 hours. Do you suggest I get the test done on the way? Or should I get it done a few minutes before I leave Bangalore?
Please check if the labs are sharing the results at such short notice. Another point, authorities might demand negative report where sample was collected in the last 48 hours (and effectively, less time for your journey till Odisha).

If you want to go ahead with the trip, my suggestion would be to halt at Vizag, get the test done there, take the results and then, proceed to Odisha.
Old 12th June 2021, 18:36   #747

Quote:
Please check if the labs are sharing the results at such short notice. Another point, authorities might demand negative report where sample was collected in the last 48 hours (and effectively, less time for your journey till Odisha).

If you want to go ahead with the trip, my suggestion would be to halt at Vizag, get the test done there, take the results and then, proceed to Odisha.
The idea is to get the test done at 8am on day 1. Halt at Vijayawada for the night. Halt at Vizag on day 2. Leave Vizag at 5:30am on day 3 to hit the border within the 48 hour window (from sample collection)

Getting the report in 48 hours is not going to be a problem for me. There are labs that guarantee a result in 24 hours. I hope Odisha will be okay with a couple of hours here and there.
Old 12th June 2021, 19:39   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucer View Post
The idea is to get the test done at 8am on day 1. Halt at Vijayawada for the night. Halt at Vizag on day 2. Leave Vizag at 5:30am on day 3 to hit the border within the 48 hour window (from sample collection)

Getting the report in 48 hours is not going to be a problem for me. There are labs that guarantee a result in 24 hours. I hope Odisha will be okay with a couple of hours here and there.
That's a well-thought out and doable plan. As long as the lab gives you a negative report in this 2 days, you should be fine.

In a long trip from Bangalore to Girisola, a few hours here and there will be understood.

Drive safe!

Don't forget to share your experience and road updates.
Old 12th June 2021, 20:40   #749

Quote:
That's a well-thought out and doable plan. As long as the lab gives you a negative report in this 2 days, you should be fine.

In a long trip from Bangalore to Girisola, a few hours here and there will be understood.

Drive safe!

Don't forget to share your experience and road updates.
Thanks a ton for this! We've decided to delay the trip by a couple of weeks, get everyone the second shot, and then hit Girisola with the final vaccination certificates. Will be doing this trip around the 30th of this month and will share updates on this thread.
flyingsaucer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:44   #750
BHPian

A close friend drove down from Purnea to Blr day before yesterday! No RTPCR's or checks anywhere!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks