Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 21:02   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

We reached home by taking Krishnapatnam Port-Kotha-Budhanam included some water crossings between Krishnapatnam Port and Kotha. Took us 4 hours for our detour. At the time we took the detour (5pm yesterday), southbound direction had 10-15 km (3 km after Venkatachalam toll) and northbound had 40-50 km (till 10 km south of Budhanam toll) worth traffic waiting

As of this evening the southbound side is open and traffic is moving slowly. No information on the northbound direction.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 07:07   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

This Friday after crossing Thirupathi, Google maps suddenly took us off the highway while the cabs continued to kalahasti. Afterwards we came across a railway cross routing us through renigunta , Venkata Giri. So we asked a truck driver and he said go back to Kalahasti route. But we pressed on as the road after the railway crossing looked very good.(Soon it no longer did as the driver correctly warned as). And we get a call saying that as per news report the highway is closed due to flooding.

We eventually started seeing flooded paddy fields everywhere and several roads were closed. So we flagged down a police Jeep and asked the inspector how to reach Vijayawada. He asked us to go to Kota, a detour or wait for a few hours on highway itself. We took the chance and reached Vijayawada 2 hours late than planned.

A P police had kept a person at every way point between Gudur all the way to Kota , the route meandered through paddy fields, roads were like driving on chocolate milkshake but even in seemingly desolate places there was a police man at every important turn till we rejoined the highway after the port. Their coordinated efforts were amazing, truly impressive.

Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries-screenshot_20201129064801749_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 07:37   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
Hi, Did you travel to Vizag via Rajamundry?. Can you kindly provide the latest updates on the road conditions between BZA to Rajamundry & Rajamundry to Vizag. Thanks
Travelled from BZA to VSKP yesterday and it was an okiesh ride via NH16. Thr road from Eluru to Rajahmundry had pot holes but was able to maintain 50-60 kmph dodging them. After Rajamundry, roads were very nice (except for 3-4 diversions). Overall, the ride was not as bad as I expected.

As per suggestions here, just follow NH 16. Don't take any detours suggested by Google maps.
agnimidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:02   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
As of this evening the southbound side is open and traffic is moving slowly. No information on the northbound direction.
Many thanks to Bhpian Narayanan for informing the road condition and advising me to take the BLR-HYD-BZA. It is almost 250 kms longer but the route is fast because of good roads.

As per Maps, it was supposed to take 12 hrs. for me to reach BZA via the Nellore route. I took the Hyd route and was able to cross BZA city in 13 hrs. including a drive time of 11 hrs.
Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries-pxl_20201128_110910661.jpg

Road till Rajahmundry is a pure test of patience and is pain to drive at night. Given the road conditions even the trucks and buses prefer zigzagging across the whole road without any prior notice. I had a few close saves because of such drivers. Roads after Rajahmundry is very good except for a few random potholes and those diversions. Roads in those diversions are horrible and will test your car's GC.

Bangalore-Hyd-Vijayawada-Rajahmundry-Vizag took 17 hrs of driving
Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries-pxl_20201128_175610148.jpg

Last edited by ashis89 : 29th November 2020 at 10:09.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 10:31   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Many thanks to Bhpian Narayanan for informing the road condition and advising me to take the BLR-HYD-BZA. It is almost 250 kms longer but the route is fast because of good roads.

As per Maps, it was supposed to take 12 hrs. for me to reach BZA via the Nellore route. I took the Hyd route and was able to cross BZA city in 13 hrs. including a drive time of 11 hrs.
Attachment 2086978

Road till Rajahmundry is a pure test of patience and is pain to drive at night. Given the road conditions even the trucks and buses prefer zigzagging across the whole road without any prior notice. I had a few close saves because of such drivers. Roads after Rajahmundry is very good except for a few random potholes and those diversions. Roads in those diversions are horrible and will test your car's GC.

Bangalore-Hyd-Vijayawada-Rajahmundry-Vizag took 17 hrs of driving
Attachment 2086985
Thank You so much BHPian Narayanan and BHPian Ashis!

Kudos to Teambhp camaraderie!!

At the last moment a call from BHPian Ashis and heeding to the warning by Bhpian Narayanan, took the BLR- HYD- Vijayawada route on day 1 which took 12 hrs and then Vijayawada- Rajahmundry- BBSR route on day 2 which took 16 hrs. The roads at Rajahmundry looked as if there was a meteorite crash . Never seen such potholes
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 22:25   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Hi @digitaldragon. Did you take this trip? What are your observations and experience. Planning to take this highway all the way to Patna. Have done this route 5 times earlier, but not after 2014. This time I will have a toddler with me, so your insights will be helpful. Road conditions, the average speed you could keep and places to safely stay in Covid times. Thanks.
Extremely sorry to respond so late. I am not sure, if you have already travelled or not. if not, I would be more than happy to assist to the best of my knowledge. Please let me know what specific info you want, again, if not travelled.
Old 19th December 2020, 23:39   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
If you don't mind, there is another alternative. Bangalore-Chittoor (go inside town) - GD Nellore (Gangadhara Nellore) - Pallipattu - Karveti nagar - Puttur - join NH716 to Renigunta - Kalahasti - Naidupeta. I have done this route between Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta. Smooth roads with less traffic. Petrol bunks are there but not much places to break for food/bio-breaks. This route will bypass Chittoor-Tirupati traffic / under-construction roads. As well as bypass Chennai bound traffic.
Hello All,
I am planning a BLR -BBSR drive on 26th Dec . Thinking to halt at Rajahmundry or stretch till VKSP based on the fatigue. I will be starting from BLR at 4 AM .
Thank you SRVM for your guidance . Do you think https://goo.gl/maps/SdVgj21szvtFwEPt5 is the right map to follow according to your suggestion?
Any recomendation from the BHPians about hotels (My priority is cleanliness) in Rajahmundry and VKSP?

Thank you
ansumaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 09:25   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Hello All,
I am planning a BLR -BBSR drive on 26th Dec . Thinking to halt at Rajahmundry or stretch till VKSP based on the fatigue. I will be starting from BLR at 4 AM .
Thank you SRVM for your guidance . Do you think https://goo.gl/maps/SdVgj21szvtFwEPt5 is the right map to follow according to your suggestion?
Any recomendation from the BHPians about hotels (My priority is cleanliness) in Rajahmundry and VKSP?

Thank you
Only with reference to Bangalore-Renigunta stretch:
Yes, the route you have put is correct. I traveled between Puttur-Bangalore on this route on 2nd Nov and roads were smooth and no concerns. However, since then Chittoor district has had cyclonic rainfall (Nivar, Burevi etc.). So please refer to this post by BHPian SKC-Auto in the Bangalore-Tirupati route thread for latest update on the status of these roads (link (Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries)).
Old 20th December 2020, 10:22   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you
Very limited options in Rajahmundry. I would recommend Hotel Anand Regency, based on my past stays.

In VSKP, I stayed in Fairfield Marriott and my experience was excellent. I did Bangalore to Vizag earlier this month.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:57   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Very limited options in Rajahmundry. I would recommend Hotel Anand Regency, based on my past stays.

In VSKP, I stayed in Fairfield Marriott and my experience was excellent. I did Bangalore to Vizag earlier this month.
I heard from a reliable person that River Bay in Rajamundry is a decent option, but Vizag has many options. Fairfield Marriott is right on the highway. Green Park, Budhil Park, Dolphin, Palm Beach are some other options that readily occurred to me, but they are 2 to 4 kms away from the highway.
vnabhi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:52   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Thank you
Hello - I think Bangalore to Rajahmundry is a good target, Vishakhapatnam would be a little stretch for sure. An early morning start should land you in Rajahmundry by dinner time.

I came back from Cuttack on 17DEC and we stayed in Hotel Anand Regency in Rajahmundry - it is a decent place to stay.
You can refer to my blog update (Bangalore to Cuttack Road Trip: A detailed travelogue)!

But be extremely careful about the Road condition between Eluru to Rajahmundry - it is horrible and filled with potholes with heavy truck movement. Do not follow Google Maps and stick to the highway only. I had seen a narrow escape for an i20 due to erratic driving by the Truck Driver to escape a large pot hole.

Avoid consuming any liquid/eatables in Eluru as the recent mysterious episode, where hundreds of people fell sick, is still not ascertained to the best of my knowledge.

If you want to stay in Vishakhapatnam then Novotel, Marriot and even Park are decent options.
Old 26th December 2020, 22:18   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knan View Post
I am thinking of making a drive from BLR to Kolkata during the 2nd week of Dec.

As you will see there are 2 breaks that I have planned - First at Vijaywada (~600 kms), Second at Gopalpur (~1200 kms) and then reach my destination - Kolkata (~1800 kms).
Hi knan,

I am planning a similar drive from Bangalore to Kolkata in January with overnight stops at Vijayawada & Gopalpur. Just wanted to know if you did manage to undertake the journey & if you could kindly share your experience?

I have a few queries for others as well:

1. My plan is to start early morning from Bangalore (4.30am) and take the Chittoor-Puttur route till Renigunta and reach Vijayawada by evening. I hope the Chittoor-Puttur route is still in good shape and will be safe to drive on before dawn?

2. I will halt at Vijayawada at the end of day 1. I plan to start early morning (4.30am) again on day 2 and drive till Gopalpur. Is it possible to reach Gopalpur by 6.30pm, with 2 stops totalling to 1 hour?

3. I will most likely be crossing Rajahmundry by around 8.45-9.15am and Vishakhapatnam around 12.30-1.30pm. Just wanted to know how the traffic would be like at these two cities at the respective timings I have mentioned, on a Saturday?

4. Lastly, are there any e-pass requirements now?
Old 29th December 2020, 16:34   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi knan,

I am planning a similar drive from Bangalore to Kolkata in January with overnight stops at Vijayawada & Gopalpur. Just wanted to know if you did manage to undertake the journey & if you could kindly share your experience?

I have a few queries for others as well:

1. My plan is to start early morning from Bangalore (4.30am) and take the Chittoor-Puttur route till Renigunta and reach Vijayawada by evening. I hope the Chittoor-Puttur route is still in good shape and will be safe to drive on before dawn?

2. I will halt at Vijayawada at the end of day 1. I plan to start early morning (4.30am) again on day 2 and drive till Gopalpur. Is it possible to reach Gopalpur by 6.30pm, with 2 stops totalling to 1 hour?

3. I will most likely be crossing Rajahmundry by around 8.45-9.15am and Vishakhapatnam around 12.30-1.30pm. Just wanted to know how the traffic would be like at these two cities at the respective timings I have mentioned, on a Saturday?

Hi red.devil_19,

Yes, I started on Dec 6th and reached Kolkata on Dec 11. I was the solor driver, so I took time and breaks to ward off fatigue. I think I have dashcam videos, and I can pass that on if you want. Here are the details.

Dec 6 - Bangalore to Vijaywada
Started at 5 AM
Reached at 7 PM
Stayed at Novotel Varun
Roads - If you go by srvms' suggested route (Chittoor), it will take time, but the roads are good. Traffic is manageable. Once you hit NH16 after the shortcuts, you will the best roads of the journey.

Dec 7 - Vijaywada to Vizag
Started at 10 AM
Reached at 7 PM
Stayed at a relatives' guest house
Roads - The worst roads you will ever encounter. As everyone else have pointed out, the roads are just pathetic. Be very careful of this stretch, as the potholes have become craters and you are bound to hit 50% of them however slow you drive. They are also difficult to see as the roads are darker and sun rays falling as angles on the road would make your drive difficult. I got severe back-pain post driving here, and thought to take an additional day off here.

Dec 9 - Vizag to Gopalpur
Started at 10 AM
Reached at 4 PM
Stayed at a relatively low cost hotel near the beach. If you can afford, stay at Mayfair, else you can stay at OTDC or Pipul.
Roads - Average. So many road works going on, that you will hardly stay on the road. 40% of the road has diversions to point you towards the service road. The diversions would not leave you unless you reach Kharagpur.

Dec 10 - Gopalpur to Kharagpur
Started at 8 AM
Reached at 6 PM
Stayed at Relook hotel. I stayed in Kharagour as reaching Kolkata at late night did not make sense to me due to more trucks and lorries on the road, and it would take another 3-4 additional hours to reach home.
Roads - Below average. The above-mentioned diversions, along with traffic may stress you a bit.

Dec 11 - Kharagpur to Kolkata
Started at 5 AM
Reached at 7:45 AM
Roads - Good. The only stretch of road, which I felt is good enough with no diversions.
knan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:49   #734

Missed answering some of the original questions. Mods, please merge this with my earlier post if possible, as I do not see any edit options due to being a newbie.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
May get difficult. Refer my earlier post about the road conditions. If you do intend to drive that further due to unavoidable circumstances, get another driver to tag along with you. This is a must.

Quote:
Do expect good amount of traffic in any place on a weekend. But I cannot give any more data about traffic.

Quote:
No, e-passes are not required. A suggestion - Try to keep your mask on at all times as I have encountered weird people asking reasons why I did not wear a mask within the car, even when all windows are closed.

All toll gates are supported by Fastag, and therefore there are no reasons to pay cash or otherwise.
knan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 15:07   #735
BHPian

We did a BLR-HYD-BZA-KKD starting on Dec 25th.

After looking at the suggestions and experiences of other members, decided to avoid Tirupati path and go via Hyd instead. No regrets at all.

08:00 - Started at home
10:10 - Stopped near Penukonda for b'fast (carried from home)
12:30 - Fuel stop / quick break == 10 mins
15:30 - Reached Novotel Hyd Airport - avoids entering the city completely and could just use the Nehru ORR to continue to HYD-BZA highway with absolutely no time spent at signals/traffic.

We stayed back for the night as we were travelling with an infant.

Continued journey next day for BZA.

11:10 - Started at Novotel Hyd Airport
13:10 - Stopped at 7 Food court for lunch
13:40 - Resumed journey to BZA
16:20 - Reached BZA Novotel. Stayed back here again considering the pathetic BZA-RJY stretch.

Started at 09:40 next day at BZA and reached KKD at 14:40. This was the most stressful leg of the journey. Due to ongoing work, the road is reduced to a single lane practically till RJY. Dangerous stretch, best done during day. All kinds of issues - potholes, people constantly tailgating and trying to overtake, construction vehicles entering the road from nowhere etc.

Overall, I felt, compared to my previous journeys via BLR-Tirupati-BZA-KKD, the journey via Hyd was less stressful. BZA-RJY stretch cannot be avoided anyway, the best of the worst option is still unfortunately via the NH16. Maybe if we din't travel with an infant, BLR-HYD-BZA can be done as a single leg too. Consider using Novotel Hyd Airport as a pit stop as it avoids traffic while continuing to BZA highway and adds very little time to the journey overall.

Hope folks find this info useful.

Last edited by gk01 : 30th December 2020 at 15:13.
gk01 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed