Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 11:23   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Is it good to drive during the night from Bangalore towards Vizag? I mean any stretches that I should be aware of ? This will also be my first time by road.
I will be traveling with family with a 3 yr old kid. In these Covid times I don't want to halt anywhere except for some nap time. I would be going to a friends place in Vizag and then carry on with my journey to Bhubaneswar.
My plan is to start the journey after dinner from Bangalore.
I will let others chime in but I can share my experience of travelling at night from Vijaywada onwards.

Having traveled multiple times at night from Hyd to BBSR, sometimes alone and once with my wife, I never faced any problem. Only suggestion would be not to follow Google Maps blindly and stick to the National Highway. There are spots near Rajahmundry where Google recommends internal bypass roads which are very deserted. I have preferred the highway for such reasons.

Also note that the road condition throughout, is not in the best shape due to ongoing expansion work and flyovers being constructed. Driving on such roads might be tiring for you. You can refer my post above for the road condition in February this year. It hasn't changed much since then.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 19:19   #677
BHPian

Am unsure if you have already started on your journey and if my inputs are a bit late. I have done Bangalore - Cuttack three times in the past 2 years now. The first time was in December 2018 and was planning to take the Hyderabad route although it was 200 km longer just for the good roads all the way to Vijaywada and multiple restaurant and restroom options on the BLR-HYD stretch. I also was planning to start from Bangalore after dinner around 10 p.m. Thanks to suggestion from Ashish (ashis89), I started from near Sarjapur at approx noon (see post #897 on this thread). I was driving a Ciaz with my wife and our furry 4-legged kid (Labrador). Because of our pet, stopping overnight at a hotel was out of the question. I drive sedately, just about touching triple digits sometimes on open stretches.

In Dec 2018, starting from near Sarjapur, I reached Southern Spice on Tirupati bypass road around 5:30 p.m. That is a very good option for a stop. Took a small bio and refreshment break for all three of us. Then reached Tungaturu toll plaza before Ongole around 9:30 p.m. where they have the NH5 hotel right above the toll plaza. That also is managed by Southern spice, but being a highway eatery, is not really the best place in terms of cleanliness but still can take a halt there. There is ample space to park your vehicle and stretch about. From there, I reached Vijaywada around midnight where I topped up fuel at the IOC pump just at Benz circle. From there, I reached Vizag around 6:30 a.m. after taking a short nap near Rajahmundry. That time, I relied on Google maps which took me through Tanaku road onto Doleswaram barrage. However, as others have suggested, once you reach Naidupeta on NH16, just stick to NH16 all the way to Vizag. No matter how many times Google maps reroutes you from Rajahmundry until Vizag, just keep on going on NH16.

This time when I returned from Cuttack after being stuck there for 4.5 months because of the lockdown, the stretch from before Chittoor towards Tirupati is in horrible condition because of the road work going on. When I went from here, the Palamner Chittor section was still in okay condition, but the return route diversion was just horrible. Suggest you to take an alternate route if possible after Mulbalgal or Palamner if aviailabe, I think the Pakkala route might be better. Of course, that is if the authorities allow during this Covid condition.

You could also take the Hyderabad route although it will be longer by about 200 km and will require additional tolls compared to Tirupati route but the time taken will be almost the same. Plus you get great roads all the way except for the Vijaywada-Rajahmundry stretch where there will be some diversions because of the road widening going on.

From Vizag onwards as well, try to stick to NH16 even through Vizag. Make an early start from Vizag before 7 a.m. and you should be in Bhubaneshwar by 1 or 2 p.m. although you can take halt at Chilika dhaba for lunch. Beware of a vehicle-mounted speed gun as your are climbing towards Chilika after Chatrapur. I was caught doing 90 and had to pay 2000 in March.

My trusted companion is a travel mug in which I heat water and I carry sachets of instant tea premix. You can take instant coffee premixes if that is what you prefer and instant tea premixes are hard to find in Bangalore. Also carry TicTacs and strong mint chewing gum. Mint helps to oversome drowsiness for some time and also the chewing will keep you alert somewhat.

Do carry your Seva Sindhu application printout just in case they stop you anywhere, although it is not required per Unlock 3.0 guidelines.

Safe travels.
Paraag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 20:02   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraag View Post
This time when I returned from Cuttack after being stuck there for 4.5 months because of the lockdown, the stretch from before Chittoor towards Tirupati is in horrible condition because of the road work going on. When I went from here, the Palamner Chittor section was still in okay condition, but the return route diversion was just horrible.

My trusted companion is a travel mug in which I heat water and I carry sachets of instant tea premix.
My last trip on this route was in March 17th when I traveled from Vijayawada to Bengaluru. I usually avoid traveling via Chittoor bypass, and instead drive via Kanipakam route. This route avoids the 2 railway crossing and the horrible Chittoor bypass. After crossing Kanipakam we can take the Bangarupalem route to join the highway.

Can you post the link for the travel mug to purchase online?
Old 18th August 2020, 20:57   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
My last trip on this route was in March 17th when I traveled from Vijayawada to Bengaluru. I usually avoid traveling via Chittoor bypass, and instead drive via Kanipakam route. This route avoids the 2 railway crossing and the horrible Chittoor bypass. After crossing Kanipakam we can take the Bangarupalem route to join the highway.

Can you post the link for the travel mug to purchase online?
Thank you for the tip to avoid Chittoor. Will keep that in mind next time.

Here is the link to the mug I bought from Amazon. You will even find my review along with a few pics of the mug and Girnar premix tea sachets

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B073SBNLZG/..._Ik.oFbEM8X63T
Paraag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 12:06   #680
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go to Vizag in first week of October with my family in our car.

Google shows me Bangalore - Madanapalle - Rayachoty - Kadapa - Badvel - Kanigiri - Darsi and join NH 16 after Ongole - NH 16 all the way to Vizag.

Did anyone try this road, how are the road conditions on this road, is there a better road than this. I want to avoid the Chittoor - Tirupati section, any improvement in this section.
Old 15th September 2020, 10:32   #681
BHPian

Guys, I am planning a trip to Bhubaneswar next month. I will travel with my wife, 9 year old daughter, and a small, compact dog. Given these COVID times, how safe will it be? I plan to leave early and stretch it to Rajamundry for a night's stay at a friends place. Next morning, I will stretch it to Bhubaneswar. Maybe have food at Billu dhaba on the way.
Please suggest the best route. Is the Hyderabad route any better than the standard Tirupati-Chittoor route? Also, any recent guidelines for interstate transit? Since I will be traveling with family and a dog, frequent rests and bio breaks are a must.
Additionally, can anyone guide me on taking a Karnataka registered vehicle for more than 2 months to Odisha? Is there anything specific I need to do?
Thanks in advance
Old 15th September 2020, 12:07   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
....I usually avoid traveling via Chittoor bypass, and instead drive via Kanipakam route. This route avoids the 2 railway crossing and the horrible Chittoor bypass. After crossing Kanipakam we can take the Bangarupalem route to join the highway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I am planning to go to Vizag in first week of October with my family in our car.

Google shows me Bangalore - Madanapalle - Rayachoty - Kadapa - Badvel - Kanigiri - Darsi and join NH 16 after Ongole - NH 16 all the way to Vizag.

Did anyone try this road, how are the road conditions on this road, is there a better road than this. I want to avoid the Chittoor - Tirupati section, any improvement in this section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
Guys, I am planning a trip to Bhubaneswar next month. .....Is the Hyderabad route any better than the standard Tirupati-Chittoor route? Also, any recent guidelines for interstate transit? Since I will be traveling with family and a dog, frequent rests and bio breaks are a must.....
I have no experience about Tirupati-Naidupeta-Vijayawada segment.
My experience is only on the Bangalore-Tirupati segment. So let me share my 2 cents.

I had done Bangalore-Bangarupalayam-Kanipakam-Putalapattu-Tirupati twice last year: in daylight in July-2019 and after sunset in August/Sept 2019. This is definitely doable in daylight/twilight if you are a careful driver.
Roads are mostly excellent. Don't use google maps in this section. Whatever Google shows as unfinished section of highway (in Satellite mode) between Chigarapalle/Bhaskar Naidu Garden and Heritage Sale Point (GARUDADHRI DAIRY PARLOUR) is actually a smooth-very wide tarmac since last year. You should get off this road section near Kichannagaripalle (OK Naidu Gardens) and join Kanipakkam arch near Putalapattu Police station. Take right at Putalapattu junction and roads are mostly ok up to Tirupati with the odd deviation (well marked and speed breakers before each one).

Route in Google plus code:
Bangarupalayam bypass exit (take left here): 6W48+PH
Aragonda junction (take right here): 7WXR+G3
Enter Kanipakkam road (take left here): 727X+2C
Take right here: 72VQ+8C
Take left and join superb, wide highway segment here: 72WW+VG
Take right and exit highway here: 83MG+7G
Kanipakkam arch (take left here): 83RW+C8
Putalapattu Junction (take right here): 935M+PJ

Roads are generally good for 60-80 kmph speeds. This route avoids bumpy Chittoor bypass segment and the traffic prone Murukambattu-Putalapattu segment. I believe this is the same advice given by BHPian damodar few posts earlier.

Regarding comfort/food break, last year I stopped for dinner at Hotel Bhimas Vegan just after Putalapattu junction (Google plus code: 93JV+M6). It was ok/average.
I believe many BHPians prefer Hotel Southern Spice (Google plus code: JC37+WG) for a break.

Also to BHPian SKC-auto: I did Bangalore-Hoskote-Chintamani bypass-Madanapalle in January-2020. The road between Chintamani bypass to AP border (around Royalpadu) were in bad shape. Roads improved somewhat once you cross in to AP. But I have no idea how it is beyond Madanapalle. One big problem I foresee in this route is - good/decent place for food/comfort breaks.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by srvm : 15th September 2020 at 12:16. Reason: Added details on Madanapalle route
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 18:06   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
My experience is only on the Bangalore-Tirupati segment. So let me share my 2 cents.
Thank you for suggestion and detailed route. We are planning to start at 2am from Bangalore, may reach this place at 4:30am, is this a safe route at that time.

I vaguely remember this route when I came back from Tirupati via Kanipakkam temple some 6 years ago.
Old 15th September 2020, 18:31   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for suggestion and detailed route. We are planning to start at 2am from Bangalore, may reach this place at 4:30am, is this a safe route at that time.

I vaguely remember this route when I came back from Tirupati via Kanipakkam temple some 6 years ago.
Oh! Tirupati-Kanipakkam route has changed a lot in the last 2 years.
The highway up to Bangarupalayam bypass is easy-peasy in dark. From there till Aragonda is doable in dark. Maybe even up to Kanipakkam. But beyond that, definitely not recommended in dark. It was absolutely pitch dark & scary in the newly built 6-lane highway section between Kanipakkam town and Kanipakkam arch near Putalapattu Police Station.
If you are taking this route, then my suggestion is to reach Aragonda around dawn, say 5.45am.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:34   #685
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the inputs.

I am also exploring the Krishnagiri-Chennai route till Vijayawada and further up till Bhubaneswar. The route till Chennai is awesome, although an extra hundred kms or so will be added to the journey. However, given that the roads are way better than the Chittoor-Tirupati route, the extra distance can be possibly compensated. This way, I can bypass Chennai around Poonamallee and hit NH16, and just keep driving straight. We are not in a hurry to reach anywhere, so an added 100 kms won't affect us significantly. Since I am the sole driver, I prefer better roads which are less tiring. This way, the journey up till Vijayawada would be smooth (hopefully). I will then drive till Bhubaneswar the next day. Can anyone share their feedback and suggestions on this route option as well? I personally feel this is a good option (except for the added tolls and kms, of course). We also have a 9 year old kid and a senior dog in the car, and hopefully they would not have to endure bumpy, half-made, and traffic-ridden state highways on the Chittoor-Tirupati route to Vijayawada.
Note: I have driven till Chennai a number of times, and quite familiar with the route too. In contrast, I went to Tirupati on a KSRTC bus 15 years ago, and have no idea about the route, except for Google maps and the valuable inputs from this thread.
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:55   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
Thank you for the inputs.
I am also exploring the Krishnagiri-Chennai route till Vijayawada and further up till Bhubaneswar. The route till Chennai is awesome, although an extra hundred kms or so will be added to the journey. .....We also have a 9 year old kid and a senior dog in the car, and hopefully they would not have to endure bumpy, half-made, and traffic-ridden state highways on the Chittoor-Tirupati route to Vijayawada.
Note: I have driven till Chennai a number of times, and quite familiar with the route too. In contrast, I went to Tirupati on a KSRTC bus 15 years ago, and have no idea about the route, except for Google maps and the valuable inputs from this thread.
If you are familiar with Bangalore-Vellore-Chennai route, then it is an alternative. However, depending on the time of travel, you are likely to face heavy traffic between Sriperumbudur-Poonamalle-Maduravoyal. At Maduravoyal cloverleaf take left, cross Ambattur Industrial estate, join NH16 at Madhavaram junction. I'm not familiar about traffic in this part of NH16 but expect some truck traffic up to Tada atleast.

If you don't mind, there is another alternative. Bangalore-Chittoor (go inside town) - GD Nellore (Gangadhara Nellore) - Pallipattu - Karveti nagar - Puttur - join NH716 to Renigunta - Kalahasti - Naidupeta. I have done this route between Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta. Smooth roads with less traffic. Petrol bunks are there but not much places to break for food/bio-breaks. This route will bypass Chittoor-Tirupati traffic / under-construction roads. As well as bypass Chennai bound traffic.

Last edited by srvm : 22nd September 2020 at 11:57.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:33   #687
BHPian

Quote:
If you are familiar with Bangalore-Vellore-Chennai route, then it is an alternative. However, depending on the time of travel, you are likely to face heavy traffic between Sriperumbudur-Poonamalle-Maduravoyal. At Maduravoyal cloverleaf take left, cross Ambattur Industrial estate, join NH16 at Madhavaram junction. I'm not familiar about traffic in this part of NH16 but expect some truck traffic up to Tada atleast.

If you don't mind, there is another alternative. Bangalore-Chittoor (go inside town) - GD Nellore (Gangadhara Nellore) - Pallipattu - Karveti nagar - Puttur - join NH716 to Renigunta - Kalahasti - Naidupeta. I have done this route between Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta. Smooth roads with less traffic. Petrol bunks are there but not much places to break for food/bio-breaks. This route will bypass Chittoor-Tirupati traffic / under-construction roads. As well as bypass Chennai bound traffic.
Thank you for your inputs. I have factored in the traffic beyond Sriperumbudur, and plan to leave by 4 in the morning to negate the day time traffic. The traffic cannot be predicted as of today, I feel.
Your second alternative is an interesting one. Since we will carry our prepacked breakfast/lunch with us, we are not worried about the food breaks. Bio-breaks could be an issue though. If the roads are good, this option can save a few kilometres. Our primary concern is good, marked roads. I will explore this route as well before deciding on our route of choice.
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:26   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow..if the roads are smooth Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta route looks the best option as we can completely avoid Tirupati.

Thanks for suggesting this road. Anything else to take care of on this route, I am starting at 2am from Bangalore and have to do this route between 4:30-6am.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:08   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Wow..if the roads are smooth Chittoor-Puttur-Renigunta route looks the best option as we can completely avoid Tirupati.

Thanks for suggesting this road. Anything else to take care of on this route, I am starting at 2am from Bangalore and have to do this route between 4:30-6am.
If you start at 2am from Bangalore, I expect you to reach Chittoor by around 4.30 to 5am (depending on where in Bangalore you start from). You should reach Puttur in another 75-90 minutes. Should be doable. This section is 2-lane and reasonably wide. I think it is also marked well (not 100% sure!). Do expect some speed-breakers while entering/exiting towns en-route. Karveti nagar to Puttur is straight and slopes down significantly. If you can't read Telugu, please use Gmaps for navigation.
Since it will be dawn when you near Puttur, be careful inside Puttur town. I've had some heart-in-mouth situations in Puttur where locals are totally oblivious to traffic passing through main road. They can be very casual in crossing, turning etc.

Puttur-Renigunta is tolled, divided highway NH716. Easy-peasy, particularly since it will be after dawn.

If you or Chinmay do take this route, please do update the latest conditions.

Last edited by srvm : 22nd September 2020 at 17:12.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 22:31   #690
Senior - BHPian

I drove yesterday from Bangalore to Vizag.
Here is my update on the road conditions.

Bangalore - Renigunta: After reading many posts on this forum I was most worried about the Chittoor- Tirupati stretch. Bangalore to Chittoor was quiet easy, except the bumpy ride due to concrete roads.

From Chittoor I had taken the Puttur road(as suggested by srvm, thanks again) the initial 5 kms had too many speed breakers, was thinking whether I took the right decision or not. After that the road was very good, very wide, no much traffic at 6am, I was easily doing 100kmph, except for speed breakers at towns( which can be classified as scientific compared to Bangalore's unscientific speed breakers). This road is also scenic, driving through calm villages.

From Puttur to Renigunta is a tolled 4 lane Highway.

I would greatly recommend this road, trust me not a single pot hole. The best 2 lane road in my memory.

Renigunta - Naidupeta: The road up to Sri Kalahasti was fine, but after that the road condition was not good but there are no big potholes.

Not recommended but not bad, also we do not have much alternative road.

Naidupeta-Vijayawada: This is the best road, entire stretch has no diversions, no pot holes. I covered this stretch at higher speed.

Highly recommended.

Vijayawada-Rajahmundry: Now comes the actual nightmare of a road. Many diversions, full of potholes, atleast hundred basket ball ( somebody in this forum described it that way, it's actually 2 basket ball sized) sized potholes every 1km, and the cherry on the cake is you will be paying toll for all the horror. Not able to do more than 50kmph, all the while my poor car taking the beating. My BP was rising all along, venting my anger at the toll booths, shouting at the collection agents( yes there are toll collection agents even though fast tag is used).

Pathetic road, for those worrying about the Chittoor- Tirupati stretch should be worried about this stretch, you cannot avoid this road even if you go by Hyderabad or Chennai.

Rajahmundry - Vizag: The road conditions are good, hardly 3-4 diversions totalling about 1 km, very few potholes(half basketball size) approximately 2-3 every 1km, easily can be driven around. Some of the roads are concrete( may be 20kms), so quiet bumpy and noisy.

Recommended, can be driven fast on this stretch.

Observations: The trucks are occupying the right lanes, the left lanes are occupied by the 2 wheelers, very difficult to overtake the trucks. Some of the 2 wheelers were turning on to the right lane without observing the traffic, they do not understand that coming in front of a car which is speeding at 100kmph could be dangerous.

We packed our food, stopped at petrol stations for petrol and bathroom usage. Started at 2:30am, reached by 10:30pm.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks