Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 11:58   #3271
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Travelled to Bangalore via Vijayapura (Bijapur) over the weekend. Route was Pune - Mohol - Solapur - Vijayapura - Hospet - Chitradurga - Bangalore. Roads are in good condition throughout except at end of Solapur bypass resurfacing work is being carried out. One issue faced was lot petrol bunks were out of fuel so please do not wait for fuel guage to blink for low fuel fill up whenever you plan for quick stop. Had lunch at Nandgokula (otherside of highway) which was quite good, other option could be Hotel Jaihind near Hospet which had lot cars parked (hopefully food might be good, anyone had food there?).
Also this route has multiple speed breakers at key junctions and they are not clearly marked so please be cautious at junctions. Was travelling with infant so took 15hrs and speed never touched triple digits plus heavy rains post Neelmangala led to slow traffic and jams in certain pockets.
autoweirdo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 22:53   #3272
BHPian

Made my trip over the weekend and am typing this from Chennai. An uneventful journey - the best of its kind!

Saturday:

Had a busy work week, so decided not to set an alarm for Saturday so I catch up on my sleep debt. But I was wide awake at my usual time - and after a hurried goodbye. left at 720.

The Saturday morning traffic surprised me - as I usually leave Mumbai on a Friday. The Mumbai-Pune expressway was full, and many cars were doing an 80 even on the right lane. Not too many comets - guess the traffic kept them from speeding. A lot of traffic dropped off at the junction to Mahabaleshwar.

Mumbai to Kolhapur roads are good. The Pune-Satara road has improved a lot.

The 4-lane Satara to Kohlapur stretch was busy, but kept moving well. I had put in Padma Guest House as the destination - and Google Maps got me off the highway and took me via the Kasaba-Bawada bypass. I was in a mood to experiment and took the road. Next time, I probably would prefer the highway. It was not a bad road, but it was no highway. Some very slow moving traffic, combined with the occasional bovines. But it did get me there 5 minutes quicker than via the highway, and I reached at 1:30pm

Parking near Padma Guest House is a challenge - it is on a narrow lane and not much parking. I entered the lane, went in before realizing it. With a car coming ahead of me, I decided to get back to the main road. Reversed all the way out - which I was able to do easily as there was no one behind me. Then I finally decided to park across the main road a few meters away and walked to Padma Guest House. Read the boards. Let me repeat - read the boards - they have arrows showing where to enter, and climb up to the first floor. (I merrily entered a bar without reading the boards, and beat a hasty retreat, being a teetotaler!).

What a wonderful place!! It reminded me of restaurants in the early 80s that my dad used to take me when I was a kid. Felt a bit nostalgic. I had reached around 1:30, their peak hour. I was given a seat near the counter, sharing the table with another individual. Loved the food! Another must-visit place added to my itinerary.

Checked into Hotel Atharv. Slept at 4:30 hrs till it was time for dinner. Dehaati. Slept again at 8:30. Woke at 1:15 before my alarm rang. Was feeling wide awake, and could not sleep. So I was on the road by 1:45am.

Sunday:

Kohlapur to Tumkur roads are excellent. There was very little traffic - it was still the middle of the night when I set out - which made the drive a pleasure.

BP COCO Kognoli was nicely lit when I reached there. All pumps were busy, though the queue was short.

The Hubli bypass was quite deserted when I reached it. Watch out for boards announcing a speed breaker, but without one, and more importantly, watch out for boards that have a speed breaker. Quite deceptive... I kept apologizing to my suspension quite a few times on this stretch.

There are a couple of diversions between Hubli and Chitradurga - one near Byadagi, and another soon after that. But they are well maintained.

By dawn, I was crossing Chitradurga. Trucks were pouring out of their parking spots. Soon, it was a game of "donkey.bas" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DONKEY.BAS or https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs...tXsLB1y7ig4TAA) with the trucks.

The road just before Tumkur have been patched - thankfully. And a few pot holes are beginning to peek, as pointed out Kiran Aithal. Topped up the tank at BPCL COCO Neelamangala. It is 4.2 extra Kms due to the U turn. But Diesel is Rs 7 cheaper than TN, and it makes sense to do the U.

Nice ring road was nice at this hour 8am on Sunday, and I made good time to reach electronics city. Then came the long signal for the U turn there, and then a series of speed breakers that have popped up recently (Grrr...) and a jam for 10 minutes before Attibele where the road narrows to 2 lanes at Chandapura Railway Bridge.

Glided along to Krishnagiri - with a quick stop near the HP Pump at Shoolagiri for fuel for the driver.

Mr. Nitin Gadkari needs to do something about the turn at Krishnagiri towards Chennai from NH44 to NH48. The first time I had travelled on that road several years ago, I was lucky to have taken the turn - but I had missed it on my second and third trips - now-a-days I know it comes right after a fly over, and am prepared. But that is a shameful turn on a brilliant road connecting two of the largest city in South India.

All the way to Wallajapet was smooth going - reached there around 12. The last 108 Kms were a pain - the 4 lane is being upgraded to the much needed 6 lanes - and there are a number of diversions for flyovers - so many that I lost count. While the traffic was not too bad, I took an hour for the initial 68Kms, and another hour for the last 40 - reached home 13:56 - with a trip time of 12 hours 10 minutes - two stops for fuel and one for breakfast.

No rain anywhere along the way (4th June / 5th June). Missed the beauty of Davanagere. But enjoyed the traffic-free roads.

Got busy once I reached - as the trip was to take care of someone who is unwell - and the journey was pleasurable.

I wish all of you, my fellow drivers, fair weather, less traffic, good roads, beautiful scenery, and a safe arrival on your long drives

Last edited by prad : 7th June 2022 at 23:00.
prad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 23:18   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Is this an all-weather route ?

Since next month is a monsoon season any particular care to be taken on this route ?
What if caught in the middle of the journey with heavy rains ?
I would have have done about 25 Mumbai-Bangalore-Chennai (and back) in the last 8 years. Never had a problem even during heavy rains. Everything looks magical and pretty.

However, I avoid traveling during rains if I am able to - just common sense - even if the road is good, other risks exist - bad drivers, a puncture that could leave you stranded, stagnant water hiding a huge pot hole, and what not.

If you do need to travel, Rain-X is a must (https://www.amazon.in/Rain-X-Origina.../dp/B000WNED08) - you don't need wipers in the heaviest of rain above 80kmph, and visibility is superb. Try it once, and you will never want to travel during monsoons without it.

Luckily I was not traveling in 2019 when Panchaganga flooded - it is a rare event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its a bit extreme to be even worried about it now, you can start checking a week leading to travel date.
Good advice here. Check the forecast before traveling. Will tell you if you need to be prepared.
prad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:34   #3274
BHPian

I travelled from Kolhapur to Pune on Sunday 19 June 2022. This is my regular route and have been travelling at least once a month.
I received a challan for Rs 2000/- for doing 95kmph. The challan received today has been generated by an interceptor vehicle.
The chalan says that the speed limit is 90kmph. I don't remember seeing a board anywhere mentioning 90kmph as speed limit. ( its odd the speed limits are generally 60, 80, 100)
I stick to speed below 100kmph to avoid getting challans. This is the first time i have received a challan.
My guess is that the police have reduced the speed limit to fine unsuspecting drivers and increase revenue.
Please be careful if u spot an interceptor.
architkarpe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:44   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I travelled from Kolhapur to Pune on Sunday 19 June 2022. This is my regular route and have been travelling at least once a month.
I received a challan for Rs 2000/- for doing 95kmph. The challan received today has been generated by an interceptor vehicle.
The chalan says that the speed limit is 90kmph. I don't remember seeing a board anywhere mentioning 90kmph as speed limit. ( its odd the speed limits are generally 60, 80, 100)
I stick to speed below 100kmph to avoid getting challans. This is the first time i have received a challan.
My guess is that the police have reduced the speed limit to fine unsuspecting drivers and increase revenue.
I too drove from Bangalore to Mumbai in May and never saw any speed limit boards. However in Karnataka the limit is 100 at many places. People entering MH from KA might fall for that but yeah, no boards atleast that are easily visible.
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:48   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
I guess they have a 90 limit on Satara bypass, I got one on that stretch with the same limit.
Old 26th June 2022, 16:47   #3277

Looking for advice on stay options along this route. I've done this route a couple of times (motorcycle/car) and usually break my journey for a night at regenta or marriott. I'm looking at doing this route soon again. But this time Im looking for an accommodation that's a little more exotic/boutique...a room with a view...sort of a thing. I'm comfortable with deviating upto 50kms from the main highway and preferably something after kolhapur. Suggestions/recommendations will be really helpful. Thank you!
Old 26th June 2022, 16:56   #3278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_cruiser View Post
But this time Im looking for an accommodation that's a little more exotic/boutique
Wildernest, in Chorla, is a really good place; and in the monsoon, it is just terrific.

PS: they do not allow stags, not sure about single male checkin. (Mentioning this since you haven't written your travel party)
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 17:47   #3279

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wildernest, in Chorla, is a really good place; and in the monsoon, it is just terrific.

PS: they do not allow stags, not sure about single male checkin. (Mentioning this since you haven't written your travel party)
Thank you for sharing. Looks like a wonderful place. Will reach out to them.

Will be travelling with family, so the stag part shouldn't be an issue. Appreciate your input! Cheers!
Old 27th June 2022, 15:57   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
was it during day time that you got challaned? i stick to 100 kmph night drives hence asking
Old 28th June 2022, 12:42   #3281
BHPian

While returning to Pune i noticed one new BPCL coco being setup just before BPCL Coco at Khed Shivapur, not sure if this is operational as I crossed that stretch at 3AM. This is will be good option for people travelling towards Mumbai / Pune. Also no diversions on Satara Pune stretch, seems all flyover work is now complete.
autoweirdo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 07:28   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
was it during day time that you got challaned? i stick to 100 kmph night drives hence asking
Yes time was approx 1030hrs
architkarpe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:14   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
While returning to Pune i noticed one new BPCL coco being setup just before BPCL Coco at Khed Shivapur, not sure if this is operational as I crossed that stretch at 3AM. This is will be good option for people travelling towards Mumbai / Pune. Also no diversions on Satara Pune stretch, seems all flyover work is now complete.
Yes - it is operational - I fueled up about a couple of months ago.

Trust you mean the one on the Satara to Pune side of the road https://goo.gl/maps/HeUd7yunEKKm9ijT7

The one on the Pune to Satara side of the road is the older COCO pump https://goo.gl/maps/1Wa17YuwBVbzPjtTA
prad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 12:53   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prad View Post
Yes - it is operational - I fueled up about a couple of months ago.

Trust you mean the one on the Satara to Pune side of the road https://goo.gl/maps/HeUd7yunEKKm9ijT7
Yes this is the one has huge GHAR signboard. How is the fuel quality? In google i see multiple negative reviews regarding attendants.
Old 4th July 2022, 13:22   #3285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stick to speed below 100kmph to avoid getting challans. T
This is my regular route too, and the Pune to Satara stretch does have board with speed limit for different vehicles mentioned, Truck / Bus 80, Car 90 and Bike 70.
The Curve just after you exit the Khambatki tunnel towards Pune has limit of 50, the slope from Katraj tunnel to Navle bridge has a limit of 60.

Rahul Rao
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks