Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 09:16   #3226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

I will be traveling to Mumbai on 8th May from Bangalore. Since the covid discussion is in limelight again, are there any news on interstate travel restrictions?
Old 27th April 2022, 19:13   #3227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
are there any news on interstate travel restrictions?
As per the KA government website there is no information about border crossing restrictions/conditions that are COVID related.

I'm travelling tomorrow to Bangalore from Pune and I can update this thread if there are any restrictions.

Carrying a fully vaccinated certificate of all occupants in the car and all occupants wearing a mask usually gets one through.

Last edited by no_boundaries : 27th April 2022 at 19:14. Reason: Spelling
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 19:25   #3228
BHPian

Quote:
I will be traveling to Mumbai on 8th May from Bangalore. Since the covid discussion is in limelight again, are there any news on interstate travel restrictions?
I traveled from Coorg to Mumbai last Sat, 23rd April; no checking was done anywhere along the route.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:04   #3229
BHPian

Hi. I am planning a BLR - MUM tomorrow, with a night halt ideally at Pune (because I cannot start earlier than 8am).

Is the stretch leading up to Pune comfortable for driving post sunset (while I have driven at night on the highway, it’s not something I look forward to)? Or should I simply plan to stop at Kolhapur?
Old 28th April 2022, 12:40   #3230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonali Singh View Post
Hi. I am planning a BLR - MUM tomorrow, with a night halt ideally at Pune (because I cannot start earlier than 8am).

Is the stretch leading up to Pune comfortable for driving post sunset (while I have driven at night on the highway, it’s not something I look forward to)? Or should I simply plan to stop at Kolhapur?
Its a good stretch to drive on, however, do consider your driving fatigue as you would already have already driven 10 hours+. Kolhapur to Pune is roughly 200 kms+ and 4 hours ride. Though the roads are good, you might see two wheelers, tractors and heavy vehicles on this patch that break your speed and post sunset driving with high beams pointing straight in the eyes makes me edgy.

So, if you are comfortable and have no target time to beat, you can drive on. Else Kolhapur (Hotel Sayaji) is a great place to take some much needed rest.
denzdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:08   #3231
BHPian

Quote:
If you are comfortable with night driving, Kolhapur Mumbai is doable. With the late start from Bangalore, no point in halting at Pune, since there'll be no traffic in Mumbai post 10-11 PM.

If not comfortable with non stop or night driving, a halt at Kolhapur would be ideal.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 18:02   #3232
BHPian

Since I have driven solo between Mumbai to Coimbatore at least five times via Bengaluru in Summer and Winter, first time drivers may please take note.

If one starts from Bengaluru or Mumbai after 5am, and is not keen on night driving, split the 1000 km distance into two halfs.

Belgaum is the approximate mid point between Mumbai and Bengaluru.

At a steady average speed of 65kmph including breaks after every three hours nonstop drive, one covers 200 kms.

After 7.5 hours of driving one covers 500 km. Mumbai to Bengaluru or return direction is 15 hours driving and say 2 hours of fuel and refreshment halts.

I have driven Mumbai to Hosur in one day, couple of times. Starting before 4.30 am, from Mumbai western suburb of Goregoan, I have reached Hosur at around 8.30 pm same day for overnight halt before going to Coimbatore.

After sunset, one has to watch for fatigue. It is better to drive in winters non-stop covering between Mumbai/Pune to Bengaluru or return leg, rather than hot summers.

It is better to take a overnight halt if one is not keen on night driving. Thanks.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 02:54   #3233
BHPian

Quote:

Try and halt at Karad, The Fern is a good option.
Approx 10-12 hours of drive from Bangalore.
And Karad to Bombay is about, 5-6 hours.
I don't recommend driving direct to Bombay and there are road diversions on the Pune -Bombay Expressway and they will tire you out, especially after 14 -15 hours of driving.
Not worth it and not safe at all

Rest at Karad, have a brunch (so you can do the rest of the trip non-stop) and do the rest of the journey in daylight
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 06:00   #3234
BHPian

Based on your inputs, I have decided on a halt at Kolhapur or at Karad - will take a call in the evening. Thank you for the comments and the hotel recommendations!
Sonali Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 08:21   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Sayaji at Kolhapur is a good place for a night halt. Their breakfast spread is quite decent.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 12:37   #3236
BHPian

Quote:
Drove down yesterday from Mumbai to Bangalore. There are no restrictions whatsoever at the border. Didn't even notice anyone being stopped for even putting on a mask.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:41   #3237
BHPian

Quote:

Hope I am not late in responding. Did this journey sometime in early Jan 2022. Since you are starting after 8 am, you could take a halt at Satara and stay at "The Fern Residency". I preferred this one to the Karad property of the same hotel chain. This property is also located bang on the highway. Satara to Mumbai should then roughly take 3.5 to 4 hours depending on the exact destination in Mumbai.

Last edited by nekfar : 29th April 2022 at 12:44. Reason: additional information
nekfar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 18:01   #3238
BHPian

Quote:

Kohlapur is good place to halt. The hotels are less expensive than Belgaum, and you get more variety than Satara. The more important reason I prefer this is because the 4 lane Kohlapur-Satara stretch gets busy, and after driving till Kohlapur, the traffic is a bit annoying, and tiring. On Sunday nights, that stretch is extremely painful with every toll plaza having a huge queue, despite fastag.

My preference is to tackle the stretch after Kolhapur in the morning when you are feeling fresh and alert. I prefer Hotel Atharv - a small but very clean and well maintained hotel - which is also cost effective - you can just call them to book a room or use MakeMyTrip.

The other reason is the Kohlapuri cuisine - yum! Dehaati is my favorite!

I regularly drive from Chennai via Bangalore to Kohlapur, reach in time for dinner, sleep, and leave Kohlapur very early in the morning and reach Mumbai before traffic picks up.

On my way out from Mumbai to Chennai, again, Kohlapur is a favorite place to break. If I leave Kolhapur early, it times the Bangalore and Chennai entry for off peak hours and helps you beat the traffic. The other place I like to stay is Davanagere (Apoorva Resort) - which is mid-point for Mumbai-Chennai. Sometimes, if I leave Mumbai early, I even reach Hosur for my break - I still have not yet identified a favorite hotel there yet - Hotel Claresta has been reasonable the last couple of times I stayed there.
prad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 13:27   #3239
BHPian

Dear all, How is the tumkur bypass now? 6-7 months back it had potholes and was uneven
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:04   #3240
BHPian

Hi - We are a family of 40 people travelling from Bangalore to Sirsi next week in a bus. Taking our packed food along. Requesting BHPians to suggest stops where the place is clean possibly with rest rooms. Breakfast: Between Tumkur and Sira. Lunch: Between Harihara and Ranebennur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks