Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 23:58   #3346
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This time New Years is on a Sunday, eve of the first working day of the year and reopening day for a lot of schools ending the 9 day holiday season. So contrary to assumption, you can expect all half the country on the roads.

With current status quo of 6-laning, Madras-Bangalore cannot be done in 5 hours given the start timing.
Then might be the usual 6 hrs I take, but choice I don't have, have to reach Bom by 2nd Jan, work on 3rd Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Hubli for sure....that is if you can hit Blore by 4 or 4:30....if you can bypass Blore at 4, I might even give Belgaum a try....Sankam Residency is my usual pit-stop for a late-afternoon start from Blore....you can also then have a smoother Pune bypass....Mumbai traffic is unavoidable in any case...
What's the average time taken from Blr to Davanagere and Blr to Hubli in your opinion?
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:36   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Then might be the usual 6 hrs I take, but choice I don't have, have to reach Bom by 2nd Jan, work on 3rd Jan.

What's the average time taken from Blr to Davanagere and Blr to Hubli in your opinion?
Nelamangala to Hubli should be 5-6 hrs depending on breaks...Davanagere is around 3 hrs from Nelamangala...
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 10:06   #3348

[quote=IamGetz;5286524]Just completed my maiden run on the Bangalore Pune stretch yesterday

Hello IamGetz,

Thank you for posting this. Plan to drive from Mumbai to Bengaluru in the 3rd week of December. With current tense situation in Belgavi, also with yearly Karnataka winter assembly session in 2nd half of December, all hotels in Belgaum are sold out, which would have been ideal night halt between, is ruled out. Travelling with wife and 13 year old niece in my MG Hector CVT. Have now decided to stop over at Kolhapur
( wife wants to visit mahalakshmi temple ) which offers a decent hotel. Did checkout Dharwad but did not find any decent hotels to stay with family.

You mentioned you would be posting your return trip highlights in May, wanted to check any latest updates on diversions / NH work from TeamBHP community to help.plan my trip better. Day 2 will be a 600 km long drive for the above mentioned reasons

Thank you

Balaji Iyer
Old 4th December 2022, 22:16   #3349
BHPian

Just completed marriage run of approx 2400 kms.

Bangalore ( whitefield) - Belgaum - Pen (raigad district) - Mumbai ( Borivali) - Pen - Pali - Mahad - Khed - Kolhapur - Bangalore (whitefiled)
  • Roads in Karnataka are in phenomenal shape
  • Had a major scare just before Belagum . Sugarcane tractor had spilled sugarcane all over the road and car skidded on same as I could not spot at night. ( almost 1.20 am). Entire section - one needs to be very careful of these sugarcane carriers.
  • Roads in Konkan are in pathetic shape
  • Kumbharli Ghat at night is scary at night because of all the big potholes.

Car used - Toyota Etios Liva.
Mostly traveled at night as my 4 year daughter would sleep in car.
Old 4th December 2022, 22:20   #3350
BHPian

[quote=Balajiriyer;5450331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGetz View Post
Just completed my maiden run on the Bangalore Pune stretch yesterday

Hello IamGetz,

Thank you for posting this. Plan to drive from Mumbai to Bengaluru in the 3rd week of December. With current tense situation in Belgavi, also with yearly Karnataka winter assembly session in 2nd half of December, all hotels in Belgaum are sold out, which would have been ideal night halt between, is ruled out. Travelling with wife and 13 year old niece in my MG Hector CVT. Have now decided to stop over at Kolhapur
( wife wants to visit mahalakshmi temple ) which offers a decent hotel. Did checkout Dharwad but did not find any decent hotels to stay with family.

You mentioned you would be posting your return trip highlights in May, wanted to check any latest updates on diversions / NH work from TeamBHP community to help.plan my trip better. Day 2 will be a 600 km long drive for the above mentioned reasons

Thank you

Balaji Iyer
Kolhapur to Bangalore is easily doable in under 11 hours with 3 or 4 breaks. Personally completed it yesterday with 4 year old in car.
Please plan in a way that you cross Nelmanagala well before evening traffic starts.
--9-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 22:06   #3351
BHPian

Hi team,

I am due for a travel to Aurangabad from Bangalore on 23rd Dec 2022. Here's the rough plan:

BLR-->Hubli-->Pune-->Aurangabad-->Nanded-->Hyd->BLR.
  • Friday, 23rd Dec: Start from home at around 1 PM and have overnight stay at Hubli.
  • Saturday, 24th Dec: Start early from Hubli and reach Pune by lunch time. have to meet some friends and relatives there, so got to stay 1 day in Pune.
  • Sunday: Reach Aurangabad.

I need help with breakfast suggestions near Kolhapur / Nippani etc. I plan to start from Hubli around 6:30 AM and take a break for breakfast within 2-3 hrs of travel (8:30 AM - 9:30 AM).

From the previous posts, I have marked Amar only veg restaurant.
Any other recommended options? Would love some traditional Maharashtrian breakfast options too. Have never tried Misal :(

Thanks,
Swroop
Old 6th December 2022, 22:24   #3352
BHPian

Seems to be some unrest in Belgaum with regards to MH vehicles - the news particularly reports about Buses and Trucks being targeted. Anyone driven through in an MH car today - how was it? Driving down from Pune early next week but don't want to take any chances as I am in an MH car. Help appreciated.
Old 7th December 2022, 08:52   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
Hi team,

Have never tried Misal :(

Thanks,
Swroop
This is not an ideal breakfast option for you as you might reach this place only around noon, but certainly a very good option to have misal.

Kailas Express Inn
thirugata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 23:22   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balajiriyer View Post
You mentioned you would be posting your return trip highlights in May
Hey Balaji

Just caught up with your message.

Return journey was uneventful. I had also started early from Pune for Kolhapur Mahalaxmi darshan. Then took a planned break at Dennisons Hotel (Hubli), as did not want to drive same day to Bangalore.

All depends on your driving style, number of drivers and time constraints. Since I was single driving with family, took the slower and relaxed drive mode option. Recent road updates and food options have been shared by BHPians in this thread, so nothing more to add.

Would reiterate some excellent inputs received from BHPians for my journey including:

1. Do not lose patience and drive ultra carefully on the Hubli Dharwad bypass. I have seen multiple accident vehicles lying edge of the road and it's simply not worth, especially when you are stuck behind a slow moving lorry and want to floor the pedal to overtake.

2. Speed cameras which rigorously implement limits and are known to fine for overspeeding, given the excellent highway roads from Belgaum to Bangalore.

3. Return evening traffic was chaotic (to put it mildly) on the Tumkur-Dobbaspet-Neelamangala strech. I had to muster every ounce of my rally driving skills to avoid many lane cutting maniacs.

Wishing you and family a safe and happy journey.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th December 2022 at 11:13. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
IamGetz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 00:15   #3355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would love some traditional Maharashtrian breakfast options too. Have never tried Misal :(
With 6:30AM start from Hubli, you will easily reach Kolhapur for breakfast time, and you can certainly have nice Maharashtrian breakfast in Kolhapur.

Since you said you never tried Misal, I would recommend you try that. In Kolhapur, Phadatare Misal Center is famous for authentic Misal. That is my usual spot for eating Misal in Kolhapur. Here is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/quGhHiRfGb9r3gYz6

This place is only open in the morning half, something like from 9am to 1pm. And visiting this place will require you to exit the highway and enter well inside crowded city. But still, that effort is worth it for the tasty and fresh Misal they serve!

If you do not want to venture inside the city, then even on the highway, as you pass Kolahpur, you will see several "Vada Pav centers" and "Misal Centers". You could stop at any of those and try Maharashtrian breakfast, and you will most likely not be disappointed.

If you are OK to drive a bit ahead of Kolahpur for good breakfast and a clean place (with ample parking and clean restrooms), then "Hotel Sai International" is a good place. Here is the location: https://goo.gl/maps/dGk1qJVnd1wWXciLA

This place also serves excellent Maharashtrian breakfast, including Misal. Try their "thalipeeth" too if you go there. You can also try "sabudana khichadi". This is also my usual place and I would certainly recommend this for breakfast.

Have a good and safe drive!
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 10:29   #3356

Sir,

Thank you for your wishes! I am the lone driver and would take it a reasonable pace, not exceeding 100 kmph. As far as overtaking is concerned my 2 ton Hector is not designed for it will check out Dennison, Hubli for my break in between kolhapur and Bangalore.

Wish you & Team BHP a great year ahead filled with road trips and sweet memories

Regards

Balaji
Old 8th December 2022, 12:54   #3357
BHPian

Any updates on how safe (or not) it is to drive MH cars through the Belgaum area with regards to the current unrest?

Any advice would be welcome as have a drive this coming Monday from Pune to Goa (via Belgaum). It’s just my wife and I so safety is a priority. Thanks in advance.
Old 8th December 2022, 17:50   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
I need help with breakfast suggestions near Kolhapur / Nippani etc. I plan to start from Hubli around 6:30 AM and take a break for breakfast within 2-3 hrs of travel (8:30 AM - 9:30 AM).
You could try Sai International. The restaurant is about 30 odd kilometers after Kolhapur when driving towards Pune. It's on the right side of the road. It's my regular breakfast pit stop when driving from Pune to Bangalore.

They have good food options and serve South Indian cuisines as well. Very clean rest rooms too.
Tygerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 18:28   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Seems to be some unrest in Belgaum with regards to MH vehicles - the news particularly reports about Buses and Trucks being targeted. Anyone driven through in an MH car today - how was it? Driving down from Pune early next week but don't want to take any chances as I am in an MH car. Help appreciated.
I am doing Pune - Wayanad on Dec 13th. I have similar concerns as well. From what I heard, the unrest and the protests are continuing. If situation does not improve, I am planning to go via Solapur, Vijayapura, Hospet and Chitadurga (I have a stop over for the night at Chitradurga).

You could try a similar route (Pune, Solapur, Vijayapura, Hospet, Hubli, Karwar, South Goa). It would be a longer route though, about 14 hours depending on which part of Goa you are visiting.
Tygerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 18:38   #3360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need help with breakfast suggestions near Kolhapur / Nippani etc.
Four options that we routinely take:

1) Sai International: about 30km before Kolhapur
2) McDonalds: about 20kms before Kolhapur (on the right though - there is an underpass right there so not a long detour)
3) Haldirams: next to McD
4) Vitthal Kamath: just after Nippani, just before Kagal toll

All have clean washrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
Solapur
Do check local news once; I heard that there is a possibility that Solapur might be a hotspot from MH's point of view.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks