Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 08:56   #1726
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Thanks a ton @ paragsachania & @ ampere for the info.

As any ways googlemaps as well as the age old help of asking people for directions should work as well.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 11:35   #1727
BHPian

Folks: I am attaching a sheet analyzing the time wastage in toll booths. This has been based on a visit to Pune from my residence at Bannerghata Road in January 2015. I do apologize for this late post but I thought it would still be helpful for all those planning on the time aspect. The toll rates, I presume have been since revised in some of the booths from April 1, 2015.

We drove through the city in the morning avoiding Nice road which did not result in loss of time but definitely saved toll. There is a BPCL coco after Neelamangla which was open at 5:30 am which was good.

We detoured at Dharwad to eat Benne Dosa at Kotturappa Dosa shop opposite the Bapuji Dental college. The time loss was about an hour.

We stopped by at the Kolhapur temple which resulted in a time loss of about 2 hours. In case, someone would like to enjoy typical Kolhapuri food on the highway, please stop by at Tulsi Dhaba which is about 5-6 kms after the Sai Hotel complex.

The Satara Pune Stretch is bad and that is reflected in the time.

The journey from Khedshivpur to Pune turf club via the Kartaj ghat is a nightmare during evening times. All those travelling further to Shirdi will have to take this road hence, plan to avoid the evening rush hour.

The Khedshivpur to Satara segment had also witnessed high-density traffic due to the long weekend around that time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Time Wastage in Toll gates.pdf (29.5 KB, 668 views)
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:49   #1728
BHPian

just finished a Pune <-> Bangalore return trip by Linea. went on Saturday and came back yesterday. A few feedback and updates that might be useful to other bhpians using this route :

- took 14 hrs ( incl 2 breaks of 45 mins each) .
- Road from Pune to Satara is poor , quite a good no of potholes, humps, diversions. Avg speed approx 55 kmph.
- Satara - kolhapur is average condition, speed avg 68 kmph
- Kolhapur - Tumkur is awesome, avg speed was 87 kmph , overall achieved 76 kmph for entire journey.
- Genesis Resorts - used this on recommendation. Absolutely low class, dirty toilets, average cheap quality food at cheap rates. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.

- Went to a newly opened APPORVA RESORTS in Davangere on my return trip. Bang on NH4.c Great breakfast choice, spic and span toilets, parking etc. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by me.
- Went to veg only restaurant AMAR in Nippani for first time, found it below average. Dirty wash room facilities, low quality ambience and food. only its cheap on pockets.
- Will prefer KFC or MCD anytime from onwards.
- Kolhapur to Satara stretch at 3 pm was ok to drive but Satara to Pune drive was hell. No line discipline at all, all type of users, road condition pathetic,

- Its a shame that MH govt allows to take toll on such roads where 80% users are non toll payers/ locals.

- no road maint at all, surface cratered at many places, feel ashamed to compare the roads between MH and KA. Its a huge scam or utter incompetency of MH authorities to give such roads to GQ.

Happy Driving :-)
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:23   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
- Genesis Resorts - used this on recommendation. Absolutely low class, dirty toilets, average cheap quality food at cheap rates. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.
I had totally different experience. I stayed there 3-4 times during my trips from Navi Mumbai to Bangalore and back. Found the rooms good, the restaurant and ambience decent. Nothing extra ordinary, but good enough for a night halt. Best part is the location, no need to get out of the highway.
My trips were in 2011-12. Now things might have changed.

Quote:
- Went to a newly opened APPORVA RESORTS in Davangere on my return trip. Bang on NH4.c Great breakfast choice, spic and span toilets, parking etc. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by me
Thanks for the update. This is good news. I will definitely try this place. I'm planning a drive to Bangalore in May. Hope they will maintain the standard and won't drop it over time.

Quote:
- Will prefer KFC or MCD anytime from onwards.
The drives are ideal to explore new and local stuff, rt? But I can understand your concern, on hygene and cleanliness, escpecially when travelling with family.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:25   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
I had totally different experience.
The drives are ideal to explore new and local stuff, rt? But I can understand your concern, on hygene and cleanliness, escpecially when travelling with family.
We did not stay overnight @Genesis. Its just a 1 hr lunch break, we used the washroom attached to the Restaurant. Floors flooded with water, flush not working in toilets, hand sprays all removed....basins has pan stains, and allover foul smells. May be the washrooms for resident folks are cleaner.

As you said , this is the reason , I tried 2 new things this time , deviating from MCD, KFC, Kamath and finally ended up getting lot of choicable words from my wife and daughter :-( .

Apoorva Resort is way way better than genesis, but tad costlier, although worth I must say.
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:20   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Read this on the HVK FB forum - fuel shortage reported on NH4 by a traveller from 2 days ago while entering KA from MH. Another user shared a paper clip citing shortage in the Bagalkot and Vijapura districts where rationing has also started.

Anyone travelled in the last 1-2 days having more updates ?
Old 4th May 2015, 14:25   #1732
BHPian

Hello Folks!

Am planning to drive down to Malvan from Mumbai on 6th May. Undecided between choosing Mum-Goa Route or Mum-Pune-Bangalore Route. The first route I know like the back of my hand. Wanted to try out the second (factors: speed and safety). But have been hearing about roadworks on Pune-Satara stretch are slowing things down to a crawl... True that?

Updates/Suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2015, 12:28   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Badami and Bijapur over the weekend. Route taken was NH4 and NH 218 : Bangalore-Hubli-Badami-Bijapur. Did not see any fuel shortage till Hubli on NH4.

The problem is on NH218 - most pumps are dry. 2-3 pumps had fuel and there were long queues. I was fortunate to find a pump in Bijapur that was not crowded and tanked up there. Another IOC pump on NH218 asked Rs 5/- extra for diesel - surprising to see the open black marketing !

This scarcity has been going on for about a week now. If travelling on NH218 - particularly Bijapur and Bagalkot districts - tank up wherever you get a chance.

EDIT : Newsaper reports on the fuel shortage in North KA :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47152151.cms

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7170139.ece

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle2798114.ece

Last edited by sdp1975 : 5th May 2015 at 12:33.
Old 10th May 2015, 01:33   #1734
BHPian

Wow. This screenshot - is it an app? Or a car feature?
Old 20th May 2015, 09:45   #1735

Did Bangalore to Mumbai 1 day back
Started from Sankey Tank at 9 AM.
Stopped at Rannebennur Kamat for lunch for an hour.
Reached Kolhapur by 5.30 PM and stayed overnight.
Started at 6 AM from Kolhapur.
Many of diversions and speed breakers between Satara and Pune.
Got stuck in morning Pune traffic.
Reached Bandra by 12.

Good road conditions all along. Although some roads need proper lane markings and the areas with hot climate have undulating roads leading to minor bumpiness. Weekdays had less traffic i guess.
I wish we had good un-tolled roads.
Old 21st May 2015, 17:59   #1736
BHPian

Dear All - after nearly 2 years, getting on a Mumbai-Bangalore drive tomorrow early morning. Hoping to hit the tarmac by 4:30am max with the aim of getting into E-City by 8pm max. Any updates on eateries, fuel stations and road conditions that I need to keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Siju
Old 21st May 2015, 19:05   #1737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Dear All - after nearly 2 years, getting on a Mumbai-Bangalore drive tomorrow early morning. Hoping to hit the tarmac by 4:30am max with the aim of getting into E-City by 8pm max. Any updates on eateries, fuel stations and road conditions that I need to keep in mind? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Siju
All is well. Drove to Ahmedabad from Bangalore last Saturday. Good thing is that the sections between Satara and Pune were getting a new layer.

Expect the same for Pune Satara as well.

0430AM Start.

0830 Sai International 30 Kms after Karad.

Expect Good traffic after this all the way till KA Border as you'll cross Kolhapur during morning factory hours where 2 wheelers will rule.

Around 1030 or 1100 you can refill at COCO BPCL after 4 kms once you cross Kognoli Toll. Remember - Fuel in MH is costlier than KA. So ignore Konduskar.

For lunch you can stop at Kamat Upachar near Varur which is around 16 kms after Hubli Bypass ends on your left hand side. This will be around 1330 or 1400 hours.

From here Easy 5 to 6 Hours (385 kms) for Bangalore.

If you need a break in between, there is Kamat at Sira and Kamat at Dabaspet.

The Kamat at Sira also houses a BPCL COCO in its campus. In case you want to refil again, this is the place.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st May 2015 at 19:08.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:24   #1738
BHPian

Hello friends,* need an urgent help. I am at Kabini (Red Earth - great place!!) right now with my family (2 kids..manageable) and plan to leave tomorrow for Bombay. I intend checking out as early as possible so as to reach Bombay by night. The plan is to leave by 3 or 4 am. I do not go beyond 100, 110 is the maximum in my Altis. Request help on the following:

1. Would appreciate some suggestions on good stop overs for breakfast lunch etc with good washrooms. Am aware of Sankam Residency at Belgaum through various helpful threads here and had stayed there overnight on my way here. But am not too sure of the stops before that. Posts #1396 and the ones before and after that do provide an idea but those are for departure from Bangalore.
2. Also, is it okay leaving so early. The route which I am planning is through Tumkur Hiriyur Chitradurg Haveri Hubli Belgaum. Map attached.
3. Any 24 hour petrol pumps on the way when I start. @paragsachania in post #1713 does mention that there are plenty between Bangalore and Tumakuru. Will I come across them on my way from Kabini?
4. Any change in timings? Any other tips.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-1432295604320.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2015, 17:43   #1739
Team-BHP Support

The route you should take is :

Kabini-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Nelligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
1. Would appreciate some suggestions on good stop overs for breakfast lunch etc with good washrooms. Am aware of Sankam Residency at Belgaum through various helpful threads here and had stayed there overnight on my way here. But am not too sure of the stops before that. Posts #1396 and the ones before and after that do provide an idea but those are for departure from Bangalore.
At Nelligere : Turn left on NH48 to Coffee Day. Its about 2-3 km away from the cross road. Once done come back to the Belur Cross toll point to head to Huliyar.

Quote:
2. Also, is it okay leaving so early. The route which I am planning is through Tumkur Hiriyur Chitradurg Haveri Hubli Belgaum. Map attached.
Should be OK

Quote:
3. Any 24 hour petrol pumps on the way when I start. @paragsachania in post #1713 does mention that there are plenty between Bangalore and Tumakuru. Will I come across them on my way from Kabini?
Mysore ORR should have some. No idea though. In case you start late, the Mysore ORR has a hotel called Kalyani. Thats good for breakfast. Nice upmarket place.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 22:13   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The route you should take is :

Kabini-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Nelligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-NH4.
Sorry for the late reply. Started the next day at 4am and reached at 330am. Included 4 hours of breaks. At CCD, Sankam, some other short breaks, and then at Parth Food Court near Pune. Really really helpful - thank you so much.
krackr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed