Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 18:15   #1636
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Sorry for updating late. I did a Bangalore Mumbai drive on the 9th of Nov. All those inputs by paragsachania and Ampere on this thread helped immensely. Thanks a lot

Started around 445 AM from Jayanagar and Reaced Bandra around 530PM.

It was a Sunday and hence didn't face much traffic throughout. The initial part of the drive was a total breeze and super fun, up until Hubli, I was a little surprised myself at some of the average speeds that I could maintain!

Sorry that I had to take out the top speed from the images, its not legal you see (Blame that stretch between Sira and Hiriyur. It just begs you to put down the accelerator!)

The only places I faced issues

1. After Satara till Pune like already mentioned by many others here. Lots of deviations and lots of patches all around
2. The Pune bypass. Those 30-40 odd km before you enter the Pune-Mumbai expressway is a pain. Quite a bit of traffic and it slows you down a lot.
3. The last part of entering Mumbai from Navi Mumbai is a huge problem. That Vashi flyover is always chock-a-block with traffic. I had reached Navi Mumbai in around 11:45 mins. It took one full hour from there to get to Bandra.

The pics below are self explanatory. Thanks again for all the input guys. This also happened to be my longest single day drive. And, I was rather fresh by the end of it. Thanks to AB Vajpayee for that!

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109064006.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109075556.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109092824.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109122226.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109134018.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109145449.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109153819.png

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshots_20141109173229.png
Kimified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 15:32   #1637

Mumbai to Bangalore (upcoming trip to Ooty & Bandipur)

Hey Guys,

I am looking forward to this one of the long awaited road trip to Bangalore. Well we just discussed about planning something over last night dinner and ended up booking resorts and hotels at Bandipur and Ooty a while back. So new year at these locations, and I can't stop grinning at upcoming journey.

Last time we did a long trip (Mumbai-Ahd-Udaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Surat-Mum), it was cut short at Udaipur since our one year old son fell sick and we had to return back.

Now 2 years later, we believe a family of 4 (wife, son- 6&3), we are better prepared.

With so many enthusiast and long trip traveller, I am approaching for advise to make the most of the coming journey. Here goes my proposed trip plan

Mumbai-Bangalore (stay at bangalore for 3 days)-Ooty (2 night) - Bandipur (2 night)-Mumbai

Queries
1. I have read about pit-stops to be taken en route to bangalore. would request if someone can advise on a clean family place for crashing in.

2. I plan to leave mumbai early on (say 3-3.30 AM), with kids asleep, cross Pune arounf 5-5.30 and stop at Satara (or kolhapur) around 9 for breakfast. Can this be achieved or am I being too hopeful.

3. I have a C250 CDI which I love driving on highways, she literally glides through. However considering the long journey, is it advisable to approach friends for an XUV500 or Safari Storme ?? (I would love not to, but still)

4. Any other piece of advise for the Mumbai-Blore journey.

5. Any guidance/inputs on the Blore-ooty-Bandipur journey will be great. I understand it must be cold there so carrying warm clothes is something alreay in my to-do list.

thanks in advance for your inputs and look forward to them

best,
Shekhar
Old 8th December 2014, 16:03   #1638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshekhar View Post
Queries
1. I have read about pit-stops to be taken en route to bangalore. would request if someone can advise on a clean family place for crashing in.
3:30AM Mumbai, 5:30AM Pune bypass, 9:00AM Kolhapur Bypass.

If you are OK, you can stop at Sai International which is 30 kms after Karad town and on your left. You will first get a BPCL Fuel station with a huge billboard advertising Sai International followed by this Hotel. Clean and neat rest rooms & hygienic food too. Expect to reach here around 8:30AM and this really works for you.

Quote:
2. I plan to leave mumbai early on (say 3-3.30 AM), with kids asleep, cross Pune arounf 5-5.30 and stop at Satara (or kolhapur) around 9 for breakfast. Can this be achieved or am I being too hopeful.
Answered this above, already!

Quote:
3. I have a C250 CDI which I love driving on highways, she literally glides through. However considering the long journey, is it advisable to approach friends for an XUV500 or Safari Storme ?? (I would love not to, but still)
Absolutely no problem with the Merc at all. In fact 2 weeks back I was almost driving along another Merc driven by a young chap with his Grand pa and we both reach Pune together (he was really not speeding all through anyways).

Quote:
4. Any other piece of advise for the Mumbai-Blore journey.
Something very important coming up as a separate post after this reply. Just read that.

Additionally, 3.5-4 Hours from Sai International will be Kamat Upachar after Hubli on your left hand side. You can possibly opt this place for an early lunch. Else another 1.5 hours ahead will be Genisis Resort after Harihar Bypass onto your left.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:15   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting separately for an obvious & apparent reason that this is going to help a lot of roadies driving this circuit. Having this back to back was intentional & co-incidental as I only ended up replying Shekar in previous post.

Precise Location of all the speedbreakers on NH4: This was recorded from my recent drive as I returned yesterday from Pune.

A lot of marked/unmarked speedbreakers have mushroomed between Bangalore & Kolhapur and through this post I wish to give an almost precise location of each one of them.

Reason why I have got so specific about this: It’s a fast circuit, some times devoid of any traffic and your speeds are higher (even when driving a Tin Can). Spotting reflectors and horizontal white stripes at the last moment, getting confused whether its just another intersection warning or may be a speed breaker, braking, accelerating, braking again, accelerating and Braking again and again – Good enough for that truck or Bus even at 50 kmph to crash into you from rear. More than this, you can really put others to risk who are closely tailing you at good speeds.

Bangalore-Pune:

Zero Point – NTBL Toll

For the benefit of those who get onto NH4 from NICE, I have opted to keep the NTBL toll soon after exiting NICE as zero point. So even if one is driving from Yeshwantpur, you can set one of the Trip meters to “0” exactly when you pass this booth on your left while on the main corridor.
  1. 46.2 Kms
  2. 213 Kms
  3. 262 Kms
  4. 291.5 Kms
  5. 333.7 Kms
  6. 370 Kms
  7. 449.5 Kms
  8. 451.7 Kms

Pune-Bangalore:

Zero Point – Kognoli Toll Booth – This is where the current toll fare is 35 INR. Else you can simply read the receipt and get to know the toll booth name.
  1. 115.3 Kms
  2. 117 Kms
  3. 197 Kms
  4. 304.8 Kms
  5. 355 Kms
  6. 522.7 Kms

Location of COCO Fuel station in Karnataka just near the border

For Cheaper and good quality Fuel there is BPCL COCO that is in fact very easily approachable when driving in both directions:

Location - Near Nippani.
Around 562 Kms from Zero Point when Heading north, you will notice a Blue signage with BPCL logo that says the station is 700 meters away. Please slow down as soon as you cross the RTO check post after Nippani as exactly at this location is the signage and also the exit to the service lane. Continue on the service lane for 200 meters, turn right below the road and turn left and start driving on the opposite side service lane for 200 meters and you will spot this station on the right hand side. To head back towards Pune/Mumbai, you know what to do now!!

When driving south, its again very easy. From zero point this is between 4.5-5 kms only. First you will cross a HPCL station after the Kognoli toll booth and soon after this you will spot a tall post with BPCL Logo. In fact, you will also spot a beeline of container trucks and other freight carriers parked on the service lane on the left(Check post again). You will notice exit into service lane right at the section where the main highway gets onto an elevated section. Just take this service road and reach the fuel station.

Services - Petrol and Diesel cheaper than MH. OK rest rooms for Men. For ladies, ask for the key and they serve you.

Card accepted for payment.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th December 2014 at 16:40.
paragsachania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 12:01   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quite useful Parag, thanks, given that i'm now a regular on this circuit each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshekhar View Post
Mumbai to Bangalore (upcoming trip to Ooty & Bandipur)

5. Any guidance/inputs on the Blore-ooty-Bandipur journey will be great. I understand it must be cold there so carrying warm clothes is something alreay in my to-do list.

thanks in advance for your inputs and look forward to them

best,
Shekhar
Shekhar - Which part of Bangalore you plan to stay ? Basis that, you can decide to take the Bangalore-Mysore highway and proceed onwards to Ooty.

Bangalore - Ooty should take you about 6.5 - 7 hours with two breaks in between.

Route can be Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Ooty. If you are taking the Blr-Mysore state highway, watch out for Columbia Asia Hospital, closer to Mysore. This should come to your right, on that road intersection. You can take the by-pass from here, or can even drive through the Mysore city to proceed towards Nanjangud.

If you plan to proceed towards Ooty from Bangalore on a Saturday/Sunday, then, this road will witness very heavy traffic ( again, there is a separate thread on this topic ).

On a separate thread, I read that the Gudalur-Ooty roads aren't too great. You can take the other route via Masinagudi to Ooty. This route has steeper hair pin bends, but is a joy to drive on.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2014 at 11:23. Reason: Merging back to back posts
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:37   #1641

This is really helpful Parag. Am planning to drive down to Pune on Christmas so much appreciated.
Is there any other way to see them specially in the night since I plan to start at 1.30 AM from Bangalore ?
So are these near towns and cities or they appear suddenly out of nowhere ?
So sad to see such a good highway destroyed but such silly acts.

Thanks,
Nirav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Posting separately for an obvious & apparent reason that this is going to help a lot of roadies driving this circuit. Having this back to back was intentional & co-incidental as I only ended up replying Shekar in previous post.

Precise Location of all the speedbreakers on NH4: This was recorded from my recent drive as I returned yesterday from Pune.

A lot of marked/unmarked speedbreakers have mushroomed between Bangalore & Kolhapur and through this post I wish to give an almost precise location of each one of them.

Reason why I have got so specific about this: It’s a fast circuit, some times devoid of any traffic and your speeds are higher (even when driving a Tin Can). Spotting reflectors and horizontal white stripes at the last moment, getting confused whether its just another intersection warning or may be a speed breaker, braking, accelerating, braking again, accelerating and Braking again and again – Good enough for that truck or Bus even at 50 kmph to crash into you from rear. More than this, you can really put others to risk who are closely tailing you at good speeds.

Bangalore-Pune:

Zero Point – NTBL Toll

For the benefit of those who get onto NH4 from NICE, I have opted to keep the NTBL toll soon after exiting NICE as zero point. So even if one is driving from Yeshwantpur, you can set one of the Trip meters to “0” exactly when you pass this booth on your left while on the main corridor.
  1. 46.2 Kms
  2. 213 Kms
  3. 262 Kms
  4. 291.5 Kms
  5. 333.7 Kms
  6. 370 Kms
  7. 449.5 Kms
  8. 451.7 Kms

Pune-Bangalore:

Zero Point – Kognoli Toll Booth – This is where the current toll fare is 35 INR. Else you can simply read the receipt and get to know the toll booth name.
  1. 115.3 Kms
  2. 117 Kms
  3. 197 Kms
  4. 304.8 Kms
  5. 355 Kms
  6. 522.7 Kms

Location of COCO Fuel station in Karnataka just near the border

For Cheaper and good quality Fuel there is BPCL COCO that is in fact very easily approachable when driving in both directions:

Location - Near Nippani.
Around 562 Kms from Zero Point when Heading north, you will notice a Blue signage with BPCL logo that says the station is 700 meters away. Please slow down as soon as you cross the RTO check post after Nippani as exactly at this location is the signage and also the exit to the service lane. Continue on the service lane for 200 meters, turn right below the road and turn left and start driving on the opposite side service lane for 200 meters and you will spot this station on the right hand side. To head back towards Pune/Mumbai, you know what to do now!!

When driving south, its again very easy. From zero point this is between 4.5-5 kms only. First you will cross a HPCL station after the Kognoli toll booth and soon after this you will spot a tall post with BPCL Logo. In fact, you will also spot a beeline of container trucks and other freight carriers parked on the service lane on the left(Check post again). You will notice exit into service lane right at the section where the main highway gets onto an elevated section. Just take this service road and reach the fuel station.

Services - Petrol and Diesel cheaper than MH. OK rest rooms for Men. For ladies, ask for the key and they serve you.

Card accepted for payment.
Old 11th December 2014, 14:45   #1642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndalal02 View Post
Is there any other way to see them specially in the night since I plan to start at 1.30 AM from Bangalore ?
Because it becomes difficult to spot them at night, I have given a detailed Trip meter reading for each of these.

Also, 1:30am is a real bad time to start. If you want to drive through the night, start between 8-10pm. This is because Hundreds (and more hundreds) buses originate from Bangalore for lot of destinations in North Karnataka, Mumbai and Pune between 9pm-12am.

If you start at 1:30am & assuming that you car's average speed will always better a bus, you will encounter them all nearing Haveri and they will certainly slow down your pace.

Secondly, you will reach Kolhapur by 8-9am and this is sadly a wrong time as you will be literally mobbed by 2 wheelers right from Kognoli toll all the way till Islampur and further beyond.

Quote:
So are these near towns and cities or they appear suddenly out of nowhere ?
There is one very much on Tumkur Bypass at Khyatasandra. Then the next one is where Harihar Bypass ends/begins.

Rest of them are all located near petty villages where apparently the builder failed to provide a safe passage to local traffic .

Just set the trip meter to '0', take a print of these and keep driving!
Old 11th December 2014, 15:49   #1643

I started at this time in May and was able to do really god times and reach pune by 11.30 AM. Hardly got any traffic after Chitradurga so nothing to slow down speeds.

Kolhapur is a real pain anytime, be it in the morning or any other time during the day.
Ok will follow the instructions and hopefully we wont have any more speed breakers to slow us down.

Quote:
Because it becomes difficult to spot them at night, I have given a detailed Trip meter reading for each of these.

Also, 1:30am is a real bad time to start. If you want to drive through the night, start between 8-10pm. This is because Hundreds (and more hundreds) buses originate from Bangalore for lot of destinations in North Karnataka, Mumbai and Pune between 9pm-12am.

If you start at 1:30am & assuming that you car's average speed will always better a bus, you will encounter them all nearing Haveri and they will certainly slow down your pace.

Secondly, you will reach Kolhapur by 8-9am and this is sadly a wrong time as you will be literally mobbed by 2 wheelers right from Kognoli toll all the way till Islampur and further beyond.

There is one very much on Tumkur Bypass at Khyatasandra. Then the next one is where Harihar Bypass ends/begins.

Rest of them are all located near petty villages where apparently the builder failed to provide a safe passage to local traffic .

Just set the trip meter to '0', take a print of these and keep driving!
Old 11th December 2014, 16:09   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I started at this time in May and was able to do really god times and reach pune by 11.30 AM. Hardly got any traffic after Chitradurga so nothing to slow down speeds.
You were only lucky that's all I can say. Add to this, all the toll booth from Hebbal (Davanagere) onwards till Kognoli are undergoing some work and I suspect that is for ETC Tag. Hence, at least 2 lanes of these booths are blocked.

Took a while for us to pass each of these booths which otherwise is a cakewalk at night.

Here's a sample exclusively for you from one of the booths-
(The WagonR fellow is only trying the obvious, to cut the queue right at the beginning)

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20141205_154143.jpg

This was at around 3pm on a Friday noon. When I returned, queues were longer between 12-2am due to higher truck and bus traffic.

Quote:
Kolhapur is a real pain anytime, be it in the morning or any other time during the day.
So what do you think makes you more happy? Driving at good speeds seamlessly for the first 600 kms and then struggling doing zig-zag, finding gaps between trucks and 2 wheelers, leaving an inch gap with that vehicle ahead so that no one cuts you to enter a queue at the toll booth? Or will you be more happy to drive painlessly all the way till destination .

For a 840 Kms Journey, fatigue and frustration is the last thing you want in the last leg, isnt it?

Kolhapur Pune during the day is best between 5-8am, 1-4pm. Anything else should strictly be between 9pm -5am.

Quote:
Ok will follow the instructions and hopefully we wont have any more speed breakers to slow us down.
Most of these are small ones like rumblers after Bankapura. So these won't really cause any damage to your vehicle if you by mistake run over these. But, Imagine locating them at highway speeds with that truck or a bus right behind you and then you braking!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2014 at 16:23.
Old 14th December 2014, 10:40   #1645

I can start couple of hours earlier say at midnight from Bangalore - that would mean I pass Kolhapur at around 7, so traffic should not be big issue at that time.
But then at that time, I would face the issue of fuel. Not sure if there are petrol pumps open all night on the route.

Quote:
You were only lucky that's all I can say. Add to this, all the toll booth from Hebbal (Davanagere) onwards till Kognoli are undergoing some work and I suspect that is for ETC Tag. Hence, at least 2 lanes of these booths are blocked.

Took a while for us to pass each of these booths which otherwise is a cakewalk at night.

Here's a sample exclusively for you from one of the booths-
(The WagonR fellow is only trying the obvious, to cut the queue right at the beginning)

This was at around 3pm on a Friday noon. When I returned, queues were longer between 12-2am due to higher truck and bus traffic.

So what do you think makes you more happy? Driving at good speeds seamlessly for the first 600 kms and then struggling doing zig-zag, finding gaps between trucks and 2 wheelers, leaving an inch gap with that vehicle ahead so that no one cuts you to enter a queue at the toll booth? Or will you be more happy to drive painlessly all the way till destination .

For a 840 Kms Journey, fatigue and frustration is the last thing you want in the last leg, isnt it?

Kolhapur Pune during the day is best between 5-8am, 1-4pm. Anything else should strictly be between 9pm -5am.

Most of these are small ones like rumblers after Bankapura. So these won't really cause any damage to your vehicle if you by mistake run over these. But, Imagine locating them at highway speeds with that truck or a bus right behind you and then you braking!
Old 14th December 2014, 18:16   #1646
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can start couple of hours earlier say at midnight from Bangalore - that would mean I pass Kolhapur at around 7, so traffic should not be big issue at that time.
But then at that time, I would face the issue of fuel. Not sure if there are petrol pumps open all night on the route.
I have mostly done Pune at nights than day till now.

Plenty of 24 Hour COCO if you scroll or search this thread.

Around 8 kms after Dharwad bypass Toll booth, you have BPCL COCO. In fact, both sides facing each other.

The one at Nippani,before Kognoli that I am referring is also 24 Hours and a COCO too (just few posts before this).

While Dharwad COCO will be around 430 kms from NTBL booth, the Nippani one comes around 562 kms.

Once you are in MH, you have no dearth for 24 hour stations all the way.

So refuelling should not be something for you to worry on this route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 17:16   #1647

So what time do you start from Bangalore - Guess midnight starting should be fine as I do want to get some sleep before starting off.

Thanks,
Nirav.

Quote:
I have mostly done Pune at nights than day till now.
===========
So refuelling should not be something for you to worry on this route.
Old 15th December 2014, 17:48   #1648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what time do you start from Bangalore - Guess midnight starting should be fine as I do want to get some sleep before starting off.

Thanks,
Nirav.
Always between 8-10pm. Reason being natural sunlight that strikes your face in the morning after driving all night is good enough to tire your eyes, big time.

With a 8PM start, I reach home before or almost at 7am without speeding.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:50   #1649

Folks, any recent (updated) suggestions, tips on food, stay and travel conditions? I'm planning to take up a round trip of Bangalore-Pune-Shirdi-Mumbai-Surat-Bangalore shortly.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:04   #1650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshnd View Post
Folks, any recent (updated) suggestions, tips on food, stay and travel conditions? I'm planning to take up a round trip of Bangalore-Pune-Shirdi-Mumbai-Surat-Bangalore shortly.
  • Bangalore-Pune - Latest updates just a few posts above on this same page
  • How to Bypass Pune to reach Nagar Road (Ahmadnagar Highway)

Quote:
http://goo.gl/maps/3sHsK (All points from A to J marked on the maps for your understanding)

Drag the map towards Pune and you will see all the points
  • Pay 80 INR toll at Khedshivpur toll booth. (Point A)
  • Drive another 6.6 kms till you see a signage indicating RIGHT for Pune- Ignore and continue straight for Mumbai/Lonavala (Point B)
  • Pass Katraj Twin Tunnels and drive another 4 kms till you spot a section of traffic going up a bridge and rest of it sticking left and driving down.
  • Stick to left and under this bridge, turn right and drive another 3 kms to reach Katraj Chowk (POINT C)
  • This junction has a free left (POINT D), to take left here and drive on this road for about 5.6 kms crossing various signals till you reach a major Intersection where you can spot STC bus stand on Right (SWARGATE) and PMC (City Bus) on the left. (POINT E)
  • Take a right at this Signal.
  • Drive on this road for another 2.2 kms crossing a flyover and reach a T Junction (Signal).(POINT F)
  • Take left at this signal and stay right and get into the right hand of the fork as soon as you take right - You will reach a Signal.(POINT G)
  • At this signal, continue straight (follow signage for Hadapsar, Sholapur).
  • Cross cantonment area both sides and Race course on left.(POINT H)
  • Cross a flyover and once you get down, read signage for Magarpatta/Nagar (Ahmadnagar)/Wagholi - Take left here.(POINT I)
  • Keep driving on this road for a good 7 kms till you again reach a HUGE intersection and take right and you will be on Nagar Road ((popularly known as Nagar)). (POINT J)
  • Shirdi - Mumbai:
Due to road conditions, take Shirdi - Sinnar - Nashik Mumbai. Of this, the last 10 Kms near Shirdi is bad (and always been). Nashik-Mumbai is an excellent highway anyways.
  • Mumbai - Surat
Remains in good condition all through. There was a flyover work after Manor Ghats when I last drove in September but not a botheration as of now.
  • Mumbai-Pune Expressway
Not sure what structural experts say about its present day condition but It remains good after 12 years since it was born and witnessed so much traffic and rains lashing it on the western ghats!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed