Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 10:55   #1546
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks for the detailed update, paragsachania.

Yes; in February 2014, while returning from Pune to Bangalore, I took a U-turn after driving down a flyover in front of the BPCL COCOO and drove back a few hundred metres to reach it. But then, the trouble is worth, IMO.
These days since I drive the Ertiga, I usually enter MH and tank up before Karad at a BPCL COCO (also houses a Honda Dealer's stockyard) when the trip is around 620+ and the low fuel warning about to flash on the dash.

With the WagonR, I had to play safe due to its low range (450-500kms) and I always ensured to tank up at these COCOs during both my onward and return journeys.

In fact, during return, the IOCL COCO towards Bangalore after the BPCL COCO is a safer bet as it is visible from at least 1.5 kms with a well marked exit onto service lane.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 22:55   #1547
BHPian

Hi Folks!
I need to drive back from Pune to Chennai, sometime end of next week. This thread is the most active thread on NH4, so I hope my queries would get answered here.

1. Are there any more unmarked speed breakers left near hubli, davengere, etc, that one needs to watch out for?

2. With a 4AM start from Pune, I think Bangalore is doable in about 12 hours right? Hoping to cruise at 100-110 kmph.

3. Can someone suggest, where i could refuel at IOCL or BP COCO outlets en-route?

Bangalore - chennai should be another 6 hours, so hope to reach home around 11PM.

Thanks for your help!

Varun
Old 16th June 2014, 23:09   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
1. Are there any more unmarked speed breakers left near hubli, davengere, etc, that one needs to watch out for?
None. Beautiful 4-lane upto Chitradurga and 6-lane-bliss to Tumkur.
And then you are brought back to ground... (Tumkur-Bangalore)

Quote:
2. With a 4AM start from Pune, I think Bangalore is doable in about 12 hours right? Hoping to cruise at 100-110 kmph.
Very easily possible. Would suggest an earlier start so as to enter Bangalore by 4/5PM.

Quote:
3. Can someone suggest, where i could refuel at IOCL or BP COCO outlets en-route?
Konduskar BP bunk at Kolhapur. (here)
BP bunk at Sira. (here)
Quote:
Bangalore - chennai should be another 6 hours, so hope to reach home around 11PM.
Yes. But if you can make it to Nice entry by 4PM, that would help, as you can beat the Hosur traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 16th June 2014 at 23:11.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 23:37   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Will answer this one specifically:
Between Belgaum and Dharwad you may encounter a couple of rumblers with good marking. Even if you miss these, you may not damage your car or injure yourself. Just be careful when you see flashing lamp post on the median.

There is a big one just at the beginning of the Harihar Bypass where the Southbound corridor forks out. Keep an eye soon after you pay the Toll and nearing Harihar.

Finally there is one at Kyatasandra (Tumkur Bypass) but will appear after a curve and when you are about to climb an incline. Easily visible as you will notice many slow moving vehicles just about here.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:50   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
These days since I drive the Ertiga, I usually enter MH and tank up before Karad at a BPCL COCO (also houses a Honda Dealer's stockyard) when the trip is around 620+ and the low fuel warning about to flash on the dash.

In fact, during return, the IOCL COCO towards Bangalore after the BPCL COCO is a safer bet as it is visible from at least 1.5 kms with a well marked exit onto service lane.
I think something is wrong cause at 617 to 622 I am usually at Kholapur McDonalds. I stop for refueling at 740 odd kms near Satara called Puja Petrol Bunk of BPCL I think. Has been good till now.

Quote:

Finally there is one at Kyatasandra (Tumkur Bypass) but will appear after a curve and when you are about to climb an incline. Easily visible as you will notice many slow moving vehicles just about here.
The one before Harihar is a BIG one and comes at the end of a long straight. Though I know it is there it still surprises me.

How is the work going on between Dharwad and Belgaum? and any progress on the 4 laning of the Hbli Belgaum bypass??
Old 17th June 2014, 14:04   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

How is the work going on between Dharwad and Belgaum? and any progress on the 4 laning of the Hbli Belgaum bypass??
Is there a plan to 4 lane Hubli bypass? I couldn't find any sign of work there.

Btw, lorry drivers are very dangerous on this bypass.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 14:09   #1552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

+1, I agree on that. The Hubli bypass is the only fly in the ointment of the entire NH4 stretch from Bangalore to Pune. Night time driving is even worse on this stretch with most of the trucks on high beam, not bothering to turn down their headlamps on the single lane, undivided stretch . I had a horrid time on a recent (night) drive on that stretch with a zillion trucks for company.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 15:17   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I think something is wrong cause at 617 to 622 I am usually at Kholapur McDonalds. I stop for refueling at 740 odd kms near Satara called Puja Petrol Bunk of BPCL I think. Has been good till now.
I start from Vidyaranyapura and take the Gangamma circle road to Hit NH4. So I ca say that I am almost close to NH4.

Beginning of Hubli Bypass comes at 400, end at 430 and when I crossing Sankam on my left on Belgaum bypass its around 505-508 kms.

Quote:
6 lane work between Belgaum and Dharwad is 100% complete. Absolutely nothing remains in terms of accomplishment of work. However, there is a very small stretch (less than a kilometer) which is 4 lane and I saw no signs of 6 lane work here. So I assume it should remain as it is.

On Dharwad Bypass, I recall someone mentioned 4 lane work was in Progress (sometime in 2012-13) but unfortunately its not the bypass and a totally different road from what I could understand.

It is built either for the township nearby or a huge industry coming up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Answered this above and yes, its one of THE Dangerous stretches. At night its a nightmare between 2 and 4am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
+1, I agree on that. The Hubli bypass is the only fly in the ointment of the entire NH4 stretch from Bangalore to Pune. Night time driving is even worse on this stretch with most of the trucks on high beam, not bothering to turn down their headlamps on the single lane, undivided stretch . I had a horrid time on a recent (night) drive on that stretch with a zillion trucks for company.
You said it. To add to this pain you have buses in both directions between 2 and 4am making matters worse. The B9Rs literally throw you out of the road in attempt to overtake a beeline of trucks in one go.

One life saver here is the adequately factored shoulder which gives considerable room to move left without getting off the road in such tricky situations.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th June 2014 at 15:34.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 18:19   #1554
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a trip to Pune from Bangalore in few weeks. It will be on my highway mayte, a 96' Enfield 500.

I am planning to do this in a day, starting around 4am . What I would like to know is with an average speed of 75kmh, is it do-able in a day?

I am thinking of doing it in a day since I know it is the GQ and I can keep a steady speed all the way and my bike normally is fine on an expressway keeping a steady speed of around 80-85kmh.

The longest I have done on an expressway was around 650kms and I know Pune should be possible as well.
Google shows a distance of 835kms, is that right?

I am guessing all major towns and cities have a bypass being an AH.
Any pointers are welcome.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:58   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian
I am planning a trip to Pune from Bangalore in few weeks. It will be on my highway mayte, a 96' Enfield 500.

I am planning to do this in a day, starting around 4am . What I would like to know is with an average speed of 75kmh, is it do-able in a day?

I am thinking of doing it in a day since I know it is the GQ and I can keep a steady speed all the way and my bike normally is fine on an expressway keeping a steady speed of around 80-85kmh.

The longest I have done on an expressway was around 650kms and I know Pune should be possible as well.

Its going to be a great ride and you can do it in a day easily. Its not difficult to maintain an overall average of 65-70 kmph as the road is in great shape and you don't loose time at toll gates. I hope you can do it in 12-13 hours run time.

I did Kochi-Bangalore route thrice on bikes out of which one was in a 2003 Bajaj Boxer this year. I could do 550 kms in 10 hours non stop.

Last edited by coolclouds : 17th June 2014 at 19:01.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:12   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Horrible drive after entering Maharashtra. Chaotic traffic, wrong-side traffic, congested toll gates (yes, I know you are riding a bike) and road widening between Satara & Pune. Will be mentally very demanding towards the end of your drive towards Pune
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 19:50   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Horrible drive after entering Maharashtra. Chaotic traffic, wrong-side traffic, congested toll gates (yes, I know you are riding a bike) and road widening between Satara & Pune. Will be mentally very demanding towards the end of your drive towards Pune
Do you think breaking the journey at Hubli is a better option due to the above conditions?
The only reason I thought of breaking it was if have bike trouble . But, after riding for 600 kms and having the last 250kms tough, then I may as well break it and do it peacefully rather than trying a saddle-sore kinda ride.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:42   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Do you think breaking the journey at Hubli is a better option due to the above conditions?
The only reason I thought of breaking it was if have bike trouble . But, after riding for 600 kms and having the last 250kms tough, then I may as well break it and do it peacefully rather than trying a saddle-sore kinda ride.
No, just a cautionary message. Karnataka roads are fast, clean & stress-free, stepping into Maharastra just before Kolhapur is a total culture shock. Target Pune itself. In case you find it difficult, consider stopping over at Kolhapur, Karad or Satara. Facilities in Maharastra are very good, with restaurants & hotels all over the place
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 20:44   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian

NH4 in KA is in good shape and you will reach Hubli by 10-11 am with a 4am start. I think you may plan to break at Belgaum or Kolhapur depending on situation. As HVK said, roads are crowded once you enter MH.

Last edited by coolclouds : 17th June 2014 at 20:47.
Old 19th June 2014, 13:51   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Will answer this one specifically:
Between Belgaum and Dharwad you may encounter a couple of rumblers with good marking. Even if you miss these, you may not damage your car or injure yourself. Just be careful when you see flashing lamp post on the median.

There is a big one just at the beginning of the Harihar Bypass where the Southbound corridor forks out. Keep an eye soon after you pay the Toll and nearing Harihar.

Thanks so much Parag / Ampere!

One final question is, how do I make sure I catch the Nice Road exit after Nelamangala, and don't continue towards Bangalore City. I know its been discussed earlier, either in this thread, or the 'Bypassing NICE road' thread, but i couldn't locate the page. Please advise or if possible, provide me the link to the Page where this info exists.

Thanks,
Varun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks