Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 16:37   #616
BHPian

THanks, My budget for this stay is around 3K for a night, wondering if there is a decent place on the highway with a reasonable accommodation!
Old 8th August 2010, 20:26   #617
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If it's 3K then I'd suggest Hotel Hans or Naveen.
Naveen is right on the shores of Unkal Lake on Hubli - Dharwad road in between hubli and dharwad. It's a good and picturesque place.
Old 9th August 2010, 14:58   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
THanks, My budget for this stay is around 3K for a night, wondering if there is a decent place on the highway with a reasonable accommodation!
I had done Pune-Udupi via hubli-dharwad and had stayed at Hotel Metropolis in Dharwad. Neat and clean and there are veg and non veg restaurants on the premises from where you can order food via room service. Another option within Dharwad is Clarks Inn. i didnt stay there but passed by it and seemed like a decent place from outside.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:03   #619
BHPian

Will be driving down to Bangalore on Sat with the Gypsy early 5AM start. Planning to halt somewhere in between since i dont drive at night. Dharwar to Rani bennur is 2 laned right?

Which place do you suggest for the night halt?
Old 10th August 2010, 17:02   #620
BHPian

I did Pune - Blr drive this Sunday and it was good. Left Warje, Pune at 7:15 AM and was in L&T Southcity by 6:30 PM, with three breaks, one for coffee at Khonduskar, Kohlapur, lunch at Ghar Dhaba at @1:30 PM and coffee at Cafe Coffee day, Tumkur road. It is the best in terms of timings and comfort level in driving. Had only a couple of cars ahead of me at Shivpur, Taswade and Kini plazas which normally eat my patience.

Cougar, if you start early b5 5:00 AM, why do you want to stop enroute? Cant you drive continuously upto Bangalore? Dharward upto Haveri is four laned and after that it is under construction with mostly four lanes with some deviations to two lanes of a four lane road. If you drive patiently and can drive for 10 hours, you can reach Chitradurga. Hotel Mayur, Kamat Yatri nivas are all there in Chitradurga which may cost you 300-600 Rs a night.

If you feel Chitradurga is far in your schedule, you can stop at Davengere, Hotel Pooja International. You have to go inside the town though but not so time consuming.

Nainar
Old 10th August 2010, 17:32   #621
BHPian

@anainar: i will try to drive all the way, but i drive at a sober 80 kph types (remember its a gypsy), and i dont drive at night.

has the 2 laned section been converted to 4 lane?
Old 10th August 2010, 17:40   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
@anainar: i will try to drive all the way, but i drive at a sober 80 kph types (remember its a gypsy), and i dont drive at night.

has the 2 laned section been converted to 4 lane?
Even if you drive at 80kmph, your average speed could be anywhere around 65kmph which means if you drive for 10 hours can reach Chitradurga easily. Chitradurga to Bangalore may take 3.5-4.5 hours.

I dont think there is any 2 laned sections per se, except those few kilometers for railway crossings. Most of it is four laned, and in some places, the other half of the carriage way being under construction, convert the road into two lanes. But this again is small stretches, may 10-15 kms. Ranibennur bypass is open. Chitradurga over bridges are all done. Tumkur bridges are also done. So, over all, you wont find more than 20-25 kms of two laned roads.

Nainar
Old 10th August 2010, 18:54   #623
Senior - BHPian

Did Mumbai Bangalore on Sat sunday. started from colaba at 1500 and stopped over at Pune (Baner road) at 1930. It was raining very hard for most of the trip. thus my plan of staying overnight somewhere in Satara got rained out. Next day started at 0630 and reached Bangalore CV Raman Nagar by 2000 hrs.

Impression on the road. Lot of work has been done and the dreaded Haveri C'durga stretch transit time has come down to 2 hrs from my earlier average of 2:30. total distance 1039 kms FE 23.9 Full to full 90 % AC. Another year at least to have an uninterrupted drive. Work on the ROBs are moving fast with a lot of filling work.

Departing Bangy 15th morning for mumbai and would aim to stay at Kholapur overnight. Sai residency is a bit pricy as we will be staying only overnight. Also Have a DOG so guys any suggestions? close to the NH4?

Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 18:59   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
total distance 1039 kms FE 23.9 Full to full 90 % AC.
Hey thats impressive. What diesel motored car do you drive and and at what speed ?
Old 10th August 2010, 18:59   #625
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Departing Bangy 15th morning for mumbai and would aim to stay at Kholapur overnight. Sai residency is a bit pricy as we will be staying only overnight. Also Have a DOG so guys any suggestions? close to the NH4?

Thanks
Try hotel Brindavan. Not sure about their dog policy though. Easy access to NH4. It would be way below your budget.

Surprisingly, it didn't rain that much in parts of Pune where I stay. Had you moved out of Pune bracing the rains, you might have seen clearer skies till Kolhapur I guess.

Last edited by MX6 : 10th August 2010 at 19:01.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:46   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Even if you drive at 80kmph, your average speed could be anywhere around 65kmph which means if you drive for 10 hours can reach Chitradurga easily. Chitradurga to Bangalore may take 3.5-4.5 hours.
Nainar
+1
With sedate speeds between 80-90kmph, Davanagere takes 9 hours and another hour to reach Chitradurga. This has worked precisely well with these speeds.

The best part driving along the NH4 is that you would love to settle down between 80-90kmph (or even 100kmph) and enjoy the cruise with minimal braking and gear changes and not to forget the FE you would extract from it.

Update on Nelemangala-Tumkur Road Stretch:

1. Bridge over the the NH4-NH48 Intersection is open for traffic in both directions.

2.Three Bridges further to this are open (last one functional being the one that descends just before NICE Begins).

3. The only bridge that needs to open now is the last one passing over 8th Mile (Hesarghatta Road Intersection and Jalahalli Cross Intersection)

During my return from Belur on yesterday, I crossed Nelemangala signal (no signal now) at 9pm and was at NICE by 9-10pm (wow!!).

All these bridges are completed except for a formal opening.

There was very good traffic on these bridges at 9pm and I am wondering whats the case going to be when the toll booths (2 or 3 IIRC) will become functional.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th August 2010 at 13:54.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:06   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
+1

Update on Nelemangala-Tumkur Road Stretch:

All these bridges are completed except for a formal opening.

There was very good traffic on these bridges at 9pm and I am wondering whats the case going to be when the toll booths (2 or 3 IIRC) will become functional.
Parag,
Any indications or any preparations going on for a formal inaguration on 15th?
Old 12th August 2010, 13:07   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Parag,
Any indications or any preparations going on for a formal inaguration on 15th?
Rajiv, of the three bridges I passed since Nelamangala, only one was incomplete in a sense that reflectors for lanes were to be installed but traffic moving on it.Lamp posts are installed over the bridges and were functional as seen on Tuesday and yesterday. Also,Yesterday I gave a lift to a Police constable attached to Nelamangala station from NICE Bannerghatta till Tumkur Rd on way back from work and he too said its slated and scheduled to open on 15th. The only bridge that I havent seen traffic is the last one passing over Jalahalli cross but its ready for sure.
Old 12th August 2010, 13:33   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Rajiv, of the three bridges I passed since Nelamangala, only one was incomplete in a sense that reflectors for lanes were to be installed but traffic moving on it.Lamp posts are installed over the bridges and were functional as seen on Tuesday and yesterday. Also,Yesterday I gave a lift to a Police constable attached to Nelamangala station from NICE Bannerghatta till Tumkur Rd on way back from work and he too said its slated and scheduled to open on 15th. The only bridge that I havent seen traffic is the last one passing over Jalahalli cross but its ready for sure.
This surely is great news. So, from 15th onwards, people from Central Bangalore can go to Mekhri Circle - Yeshwantpur flyover and then onward to Tumkur right? I keep using NICE road, dreading the traffic in Peenya, or is it that I pay Rs.83 for NICE Road and another Rs 20-30 for using the new road?

Nainar
Old 12th August 2010, 13:37   #630
Team-BHP Support

By the way what is the latest weather update?
Was thinking of Chitradurga fort, this weekend or the next.

Most Viewed