Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2019, 11:47   #2371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Bangalore - Pune - Bangalore:

Till Chitradurga, roads are fantastic

Chitradurga - Davanagere is uneven with few diversions.

Davanagere - Hubli, this stretch has huge number of diversions. Irritating part is, many of these diversions are narrow and if you are stuck between a slow moving truck, you have no choice but follow them till the end.

There are many speed breakers too just before these diversions and on the diversions too.

Fastag worked in all the tolls.

KFC on the Kolhapur bypass is closed. I think its replaced by a harley davidson showroom.

Overall, due to Fog, diversions, and road construction work, the travel time increased by 30-45 minutes.

We got stuck in thick fog which made us stop a few of times.

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20190112_065502217.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_20190112_065511513.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img20190112wa0011.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 12:21   #2372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
KFC on the Kolhapur bypass is closed. I think its replaced by a harley davidson showroom.
Arun, this KFC has shut down since more than a year now. Even when we went for the last Monsoon Drive it wasn't operational and as you mention, it is replaced by a HD show room.

But thankfully, you still have Mc Donalds and CCD in the same location and hence it still is a good option for that much needed break.

Reminds me of the discussion I was having with few friends on how KFC was brave enough to open a restaurant in the land of Kolhapuri chicken and still managed to survive these many years .
Old 17th January 2019, 12:34   #2373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Arun, this KFC has shut down since more than a year now. Even when we went for the last Monsoon Drive it wasn't operational and as you mention, it is replaced by a HD show room.
Oh Ok. I didn't realize that . During the return I suggested this to my kids as we rarely take them to KFC in bangalore. But they were disappointed big time once we saw the HD show room instead of the KFC. Luckily, I noticed this while being on the other side of the road itself.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 22:30   #2374
Senior - BHPian

NH4 traffic to be diverted between Sira and Dobbaspete till tomorrow on account of Siddaganga seer's demise. Plan your drives accordingly.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 22:47   #2375
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPIans,

I'm planning for a Trip from Chennai to Vadodara next month with halt at Bangalore, Pune and Mumbai. The total ODO comes to 1730 kms. I have Ecosport Petrol AT 2018 edition. The FE in city is around 8.5. I will be travelling alone until Mumbai. I have gone through the whole thread and aware of the route, eateries, restroom, etc.

However my query is about travelling in my car until Mumbai or catch a flight and take a Zoomcar from Mumbai to Vadodara. Use the car for Gujarat road trip and return to Mumbai and catch the flight back to Chennai. Please someone suggest a good option.

Once I reach, I'd be travelling to Shirdi and continue to Vadodara and would be travelling in and around Gujarat.

Recently I booked a Tata Hexa at Chennai for 1 day trip. Only couple of hours before the trip, I got a message from Zooncar that the car is locked at 90KMPH as per government policy. Booking a Hexa and travelling at 90 don't make any sense. I booked Swift AT in Mumbai for a day's trip but there was no such speed lock at 90KMPH.

Although, I don't like speeding more than 100 in Indian roads, considering the distance, should I still consider Zoomcar or travel by own car. The only problem with my car is the FE. Even If I consider average FE of 12-14, the total fuel costs comes around 28K. Positive point is the Automatic transmission.

Zoomcar rental for Ford Freestyle comes to same price 30K (With Fuel) for around 6 days with 2000KM limit. However not sure, if it comes with a speed limit of 90, Gujarat state permit charges.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:20   #2376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
However my query is about travelling in my car until Mumbai or catch a flight and take a Zoomcar from Mumbai to Vadodara. Use the car for Gujarat road trip and return to Mumbai and catch the flight back to Chennai. Please someone suggest a good option.
If you have concerns regarding the length of the drive of the whole circuit, the time/days taken, apprehensions regarding how you and your family will cope up with long travel of this sort, please go by what your thought process says and it is absolutely not a bad idea to fly till Mumbai and then hire a selfdrive car to Vadodara, rest of the state of Gujarat as per your itinerary and back.

There are many on this own forum as well as my colleagues who have done that; flew till Ahmedabad, hire either selfdrive cars or rented cabs and executed their plans.

However, I just have one suggestion here - Your only destination in the state of Maharashtra is Shirdi and then you have places to cover in Gujarat. If so, why don't you fly all the way till Ahmedabad and then hire a vehicle, finish your trip and take a flight to Mumbai?

As an alternate, there are some superfast trains connecting Ahmedabad to Mumbai that cover the 500 Km distance from 0500 to 1400! By car, a decent time between these 2 cities is around 8-9 Hours.

Mumbai - Vadodara - Ahmedabad is a busy highway with high private and freight traffic all the times. Not sure if you can enjoy the drive part in this section and may be you can be just content.

Quote:
Once I reach, I'd be travelling to Shirdi and continue to Vadodara and would be travelling in and around Gujarat.
Especially for Shirdi, I would suggest to hire a vehicle from Mumbai for that round trip and return.
Quote:
Although, I don't like speeding more than 100 in Indian roads, considering the distance, should I still consider Zoomcar or travel by own car.
IF you have a choice and you have seriously considered it, driving your own car is not a bad idea at all.
Quote:
The only problem with my car is the FE. Even If I consider average FE of 12-14, the total fuel costs comes around 28K. Positive point is the Automatic transmission.
Adding to this would be the toll (Easily at least 4500/- altogether from Chennai to Ahmedabad), the food and stay expenses for each day of travel and additional number of days to execute this trip as against flying straight to Ahmedabad and then wrapping up your itinerary.
Quote:
Zoomcar rental for Ford Freestyle comes to same price 30K (With Fuel) for around 6 days with 2000KM limit. However not sure, if it comes with a speed limit of 90, Gujarat state permit charges.
Hence you need to evaluate what works best for you. Flying all the way to Ahmedabad or Mumbai or driving your own car from Bangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th January 2019 at 09:22.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 11:56   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Oh Ok. I didn't realize that . During the return I suggested this to my kids as we rarely take them to KFC in bangalore. But they were disappointed big time once we saw the HD show room instead of the KFC. Luckily, I noticed this while being on the other side of the road itself.
I had stopped for a KA-PEE break at the HD cafe while on the way to Goa to attend the Rider Mania, quite a nice place to take a break, was very much less crowded. I could also see couple of local guys coming in to chill out. Not a bad place to have a quick nap and coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-img_0147.jpg  

rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 14:29   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai to Vadodara <snip>I'd be travelling to Shirdi
Parag has covered most of the points, I'll try to add my 2 paisa worth from what I've done.

If you don't want to take your own car and only Shirdi is on cards in MH. Stay in Bombay and take a train from Bombay to Manmad and back as a day trip. I think I took Tapovan, onward and return from Thane.

From Bombay, there are many trains towards Baroda and Ahmedabad. You can rent out a car in either of the 2 cities (Ahmedabad has more options) and roam around GJ.

You can then fly out of Ahmedabad to Madras, there is a direct flight from Indigo.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 15:10   #2379
BHPian

Referring to couple of posts above, long road trips are inherently more expensive than flying to a specific destination , the fuel charges, toll and stays add up to much more than flight tickets. But then, life is about taking the scenic route rather than the shortest route,

So here is my tentative itinerary, Starting on a Friday and returning back on Saturday/Sunday kindly suggest stay options

Day 1: Mumbai - Satara , afternoon start from mumbai.
Day 2: Satara - Davengere , any decent stop other than sankama? need a lift in the premises.
Day 3: Davengere - Sringeri, Google throws up couple of routes not sure of road conditions - any pointers will help.
Day 4: Sringeri - Udupi
Day 5: Udupi - Hornadu - Chikamaglur : Hotel/homestay - some places seem exorbitantly priced, Any recommendations on route and stay?
Day 6: Chikamaglur
Day 7: Chikamaglur - Belgavi
Day 8: Belgavi - Pune
Day 9: Pune - Mumbai

Depending upon the situation, i may collapse day 8/day 9 and return back to mumbai without a stopover at pune.

I usually avoid night driving, like to start after breakfast - around 8:00 am and close by 19:00 hours and travel at a relaxed pace.

Quote:
I'm planning for a Trip from Chennai to Vadodara next month with halt at Bangalore, Pune and Mumbai. The total ODO comes to 1730 kms.
One minor point, one leg - chennai to vadodara is 1700 odd km, i presume you will be traveling back to chennai - i.e. 3400 km. Trust you have considered it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st February 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 30th January 2019, 16:25   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
So here is my tentative itinerary
I would suggest you to do Bombay-Udupi via Hubli-Ankola-NH17 or Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli. Both routes can be done sunrise-sundown in 2 days.

You could do Udupi-Sringeri-Horanadu in a day. Visit Horanadu and Kalasa and head to Chikmagalur.

I had stayed in a Nagagiri Comforts, which is between Horanadu and Kalasa this summer. I remember paying around 2200 with GST.

Quote:
Day 7: Chikamaglur - Belgavi
Day 8: Belgavi - Pune
Day 9: Pune - Mumbai
This can be done in 2 days even with the timings you've said.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:15   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a Bangalore-Kutch drive soon. Wondering what the Bangalore-Mumbai driving times are like these days. 2 drivers, can swap every 150-200km, new Swift. Not planning to do any dangerous speeds and will stop for a couple of breaks in between. [Have done Mumbai-Bangalore in a day a long time ago in an old Alto, was a looong drive ]

Also, does it make sense to stop at Pune and then carry on to Gujarat the next day, rather than push on to Mumbai on the first day? I remember the Pune-Mumbai Expressway traffic being rather bad in the evenings.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:47   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wondering what the Bangalore-Mumbai driving times are like these days.
Did Pune Sinhagad Road exit to NICE Tumkur Road exit in 12.5 hrs with about 1.5 hr break. Arun Josie's timings is quite similar. So approximately about 15 hrs change for Bombay.

The key factor is you should target to clear Versova Creek early next morning. Decide your stay accordingly.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 13:04   #2383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Not planning to do any dangerous speeds and will stop for a couple of breaks in between. [Have done Mumbai-Bangalore in a day a long time ago in an old Alto, was a looong drive ]
Dangerous speeds for 1000 kms of journey is nearly impossible let alone rest of us recommending against it . You will get tired in under 30 minutes itself. Rest assured, the biggest differentiator is not speeds but the departure time that defines everything else. Honestly, I take same time even today to do this journey that I did more than 50 times in a WagonR.

Leave at 0400 and see the difference it makes with average speeds without even crossing 120 KMPH and cruising between 100-110 KMPH.

Quote:
Also, does it make sense to stop at Pune and then carry on to Gujarat the next day, rather than push on to Mumbai on the first day? I remember the Pune-Mumbai Expressway traffic being rather bad in the evenings.
Usually it is better to get out of Mumbai and halt for the night somewhere in Thane/Ghodbunder Road/Near Vasai Creek Bridge. This give you a peaceful drive next morning as you don't have to negotiate traffic to exit the city.

However, do remember that even with a start at 0400, you will make entry into Mumbai at peak evening hours and this alone can take a lot of time to reach the other end on day 1, after you have driven nearly 1000 Km that day! Only way to tackle this is to start even earlier, say 0300 and things will be under control.

How to decide where to stay?
  • Option 1 : Make up your mind right now and decide to stay in Pune. Next day start from Pune no later than 0400 and get out of Mumbai by 0800. Do your booking accordingly
  • Option 2: Start early from Bangalore at 0300, reach Thane or around by 1700 and settle for the day
  • Option 3: Start at 0400, decide to halt either at Pune or Thane or Navi Mumbai too based on when you are crossing Pune:
[1]If you are on Pune bypass before 1500, you can very well continue and enter Mumbai and exit as well and stop at Thane (Provided you don't stop anywhere between Pune and Mumbai).
[2]If you are in Pune around 1600, you simply halt at Pune
[3]As another option which is still viable is to halt near Navi Mumbai area and start early next day for Gujarat. This also works perfectly fine and will have no significance to your time of start from Bangalore or the time you cross Pune
For options to stop beyond Thane towards Gujarat, you can refer to this post and continue with your queries.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th February 2019 at 13:06.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 13:25   #2384
BHPian

Just an update. Had traveled to udipi, sringeri chikamaglur a week back.

1. NH4/NH48 - good road conditions throughout. However diversions on account of building of village crossings and 6 laning will slow you down. Diversions present in Pune - Satara (not many) and Hubli - Davengere sections. Diversions are well marked but many are single lane , so if you are behind a slow moving truck then have patience.

2. Harihar bypass is still work-in-progress , going towards bengaluru implies passing through the town. This one has been like this for over 8 years - the first time i drove to bengaluru.

3. Konduskar - Kolhapur stocks only diesel - it is probably mentioned somewhere else in the thread but i forgot and landed up with a petrol car there. There is an HP pump around 500 meters ahead. Otherwise just after entering karnataka - there is a BPCL COCO. Fuel in Karnataka is cheaper than Kolhapur - just keep this in mind, though the banners say otherwise.

4. BPCL COCO at hulihalli - raneebennur bypass should be used only for tanking up. The Ghar dabha out there is a complete mess. Avoid it.

Slightly OT but all the same.

5. For interior karnataka roads double check what google maps shows - it often routes you through unchartered narrow routes instead of following state highways. The roads between Harihar - shimoga - sringeri - udupi - chikamaglur - davengere were very good. One exception though - harihar to honalli was pretty bad - the tarmac was totally broken. The state highway between Kadur/Birur and Davengere i.e SH76 was a revelation - easily the best 2 laned roads that i have driven on. Sparse traffic, very good roads, fantastic scenery, there are tonnes of small villages en-route, so that does slow one down a little bit

6. If you like twisty roads- then you should drive this one section - jayapura - balehonnur - adlur - chikamagalur. You won't get 100 meters of straight road. Boy. i got tied turning left right left.

7. If you do ever halt at shimoga - do visit the sakrebailu elephant camp in the morning. It isn't very far , kids will enjoy.

8. The roads to reach the summit at muliyangiri which was previously very narrow has been widened very very recently. One can easily drive up now. I did not know of this so hired a local taxi to get there.

9. Found it a bit difficult to get normal wheat chappattis, it is tandoori roti and north indian/chinese cuisine everywhere.

10. Agumbe - easily one of the steepest ghat roads.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 6th March 2019 at 13:28.
cyberwhizs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:56   #2385
BHPian

Update

Yet again, a new diversion has come up on Pune city NH4 bypass between Chandni Chowk and Baner causing crazy traffic snarls. Diversion is on both carriageways, so factor in additional 20 mins when crossing this stretch during peak hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks