Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 18:11   #4831
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

The only issue with taking the Honnavar route is the Byndoor-Shiroor stretch ( probably about a 5 KM stretch ) that's horribly bad. Its as bad as it can get. At least that's how it was during the first week of Oct so hopefully they may have patched it up by now. The good part about the Honnavar route is the excellent Jog-Honnavar road. Getting through the ghat section is a breeze.

As for Jog, if you have seen it before, I am not sure if its really worth visiting now. If you intend to trek all the way down, it'll still be a good experience. Otherwise, taking this long route to Mlore just for Jog is not really worth it in my opinion. I have been to Jog a few times but only when I have also had something else to do in that part of the world.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 04:12   #4832
BHPian

Thank you explorer09!

I have been to Jog before but then the trek was not possible due to the intensity of the falls. If that is possible now then that is incentive enough I guess. Possibly might even do the safari at tavarekoppa.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:47   #4833
BHPian

I'm planning for the below trip
Friday, 22nd, Start @ 5 am: Bangalore Nelamangala - Udupi - Kollur (Halt @ Kollur)
Sat, 23rd, Start from Kollur @ around 11 (no choice to start early). Need to plan to cover Sringeri / Dharmasthala / Horanadu / Kukke before I reach Bangalore on 24th Evening.
Confused here how to go about and which place to halt on Saturday.
1. Can anyone suggest is it a good idea to go to Udupi before I go to kollur or take thirthahalli route and spend some time in Thirthahalli before I reach kollur.
2. Which place is better to stay (Sringeri / Dharmasthala / Horanadu / Kukke ) for Saturday night?

Thanks,
Chandra
Old 18th November 2013, 18:10   #4834
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me road conditions from Gundya to Mangalore? The last three pages don't have any update on the above mentioned stretch as I may have to travel to Mangalore in the next couple of weeks

Btw, toll collection has been started in the 2 new toll booths (Kirisave and Shantigrama) between Bellur Cross and Hassan. Toll charged is Rs.35 and Rs.20 respectively. So that makes it 5 toll booths for a distance of approx 180kms. I guess we can expect a further 2-3 toll booths between Hassan-BC Road.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:14   #4835
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, I was bummed about the additional tolls when I traveled back to Bangalore on Saturday. Hassan afterwards we have to pay 35+20+38+38+20 to reach Bangalore.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 18:18   #4836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Can someone tell me road conditions from Gundya to Mangalore? The last three pages don't have any update on the above mentioned stretch as I may have to travel to Mangalore in the next couple of weeks :.
The roads after Gundya are smooth but with occasional potholes especially in the corners. Keep a watch on this. Post BC road it is excellent all through to Mangalore.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 23:02   #4837
BHPian

Re: 4 Crores for Shiradi?

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=201815

"To undertake temporary road repair work at Shiradi Ghat, the central government has sanctioned Rs 4 crore and the National Highway authority will begin the work in a week," said district in-charge minister B Ramanath Rai.
Old 18th November 2013, 23:19   #4838
BHPian

Re: 4 Crores for Shiradi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=201815

"To undertake temporary road repair work at Shiradi Ghat, the central government has sanctioned Rs 4 crore and the National Highway authority will begin the work in a week," said district in-charge minister B Ramanath Rai.
This is a good thing...i think! Temporary roadworks makes me a little skeptical as to how long this route will be viable before we switch to Charmadi again.
Old 19th November 2013, 11:51   #4839
Senior - BHPian

Completed Trip of Hassan - Charmadi - Managalore - Kasargod - Vittla - Shiradi - Hassan.

Charmadi ghat is in pristine condition, maybe just around 5 kms of total bad roads till Managalore from Hassan. I stayed a day at Managalore and proceeded to Kasargod next day, Mangalore to Kasargod road is not in good shape with heavy traffic, took almost 1.5 hrs for 50 kms.

While coming back took Vittla-Nilyadi road not so good, Horror starter few kms before Gundiya, from Gundiya to Sakleshpur road was horrible, almost all the curves roads are completely destroyed, and huge path of water-flow path created. Good that i had taken my Dad's Santro from Hassan. Don't think Cars like City would have made it without considerable damage in under belly.

It took around 5 hours from Kasargod to Hassan. I thought i can make it in 4 hrs in this road, so decided not to take Charmadi while coming back, but i was wrong. Even Charmadi would have taken same time, but would have been relaxed drive, even though it would have been additional 40kms.

If any one is traveling to Mangalore it should be Charmadi Ghat, that extra 15-20 kms will definitely be worth it. And any ways you will loose more petrol negotiating these huge crater in the road in Shiradi, than driving additional 15kms in Charmadi ghat.

Only good thing about Shiradi ghat is that it will be good training for anyone going to Ladakh trip.

@lyneld - I also don't thing 4 Crores is sufficient even to fill couple of curves. I feel cemented road from Saklespur to Gundiya is the only solution, which should be around 100-200 crores.

Last edited by shamanth : 19th November 2013 at 11:59.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:32   #4840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I feel cemented road from Saklespur to Gundiya is the only solution, which should be around 100-200 crores.
That is a very scary idea. Cement roads have lot less traction under wet conditions. And Shiradi has wet condition for nearly 4 months. If Shiradi becomes a cement road, faster vehicles will flying off the road into the valley. Only curves should have cement, where vehicles will be lot slower.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 13:03   #4841
Distinguished - BHPian

When returning from Kundapur to Bangalore, does it make more sense to take Kundapura-Agumbe-Shimoga-Chitradurga-Bangalore or stick to Kundapura-Karkala-Charmadi-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by am1m : 19th November 2013 at 13:04.
Old 19th November 2013, 13:33   #4842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
When returning from Kundapur to Bangalore, does it make more sense to take Kundapura-Agumbe-Shimoga-Chitradurga-Bangalore or stick to Kundapura-Karkala-Charmadi-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore?

Thanks in advance!
Both have similar distances. But I think the option via Agumbe gives you lesser amount of ghats to drive through. (May it be via Chitradurga 4-lane of via Arsekere/Birur). 4-lane would add another 40 km of extra distance. I dont know the conditions from Shimoga to Chitradurga.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 13:53   #4843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is a very scary idea. Cement roads have lot less traction under wet conditions. And Shiradi has wet condition for nearly 4 months. If Shiradi becomes a cement road, faster vehicles will flying off the road into the valley. Only curves should have cement, where vehicles will be lot slower.
I did observe few of the curves are in excellent condition, so only few curves were cemented before and those which were not cemented has turned into Craters now?
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:17   #4844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Thanks in advance!
Small correction.Not chitradurga.

From shimoga you can reach tumkur via arasikere tiptur route
Roads are in excellent condition
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 09:02   #4845
Senior - BHPian

A gas tanker has toppled near Nelyadi, the traffic is disrupted on the NH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks