Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 12:58   #4981
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I am the one of unfortunate guy who stuck due to accident. I was travelling in Bus.

Two cars where racing each other, each want to show their skills. The oil tanker taking slope sharp corner, already committed (Any one knows how truckers can't un-commit turns in slope. They give you enough signals before committing sharp turns)!. Driver of swift wanted to show his WRC skills, went ahead with overtaking truck at sharp turns. If anyone seen how trucks take turn and almost coming on to other lanes (because they can't avoid it), truck brushed rushing swift... Swift lost controls! 3 in car perished on the spot (what is seat belt?)! Blocked road of rest of us till morning.

Read Hassan Police report, they booked poor Tanker driver for reckless driving! Poor chap!
I have been driving on this route since 2005 , I have noticed that truck / bus drivers ( even the B7Rs / B9Rs) on this route are usually well behaved .Its the tourist cars /mpvs that are the problem .

A few months back I also had a near miss with this KA-52 registered i20 who was driving rash all through Charmadi and at one point after the ghat he kept on blocking us and didnt let us go ahead . He even swerved to the right when I was overtaking . Hadnt I braked , we would gone off the road .We had senior citizens and a toddler with us , so we just stopped for some time to let these idiots continue with their suicide mission .
Old 27th January 2014, 13:17   #4982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
stucked in the block till morning in ghats..OMG I can understand the pain Ragu.
The pain only started after we started, because drivers where restless to reach destination (Kundapur), with great NH to tackle in it early morning glory traffic. When I reached Kundapur its 11, and the driver wouldn't even want anyone to get down for nature calls, unless its their destination!. The situation of earderly women is hopeless!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
A few months back I also had a near miss with this KA-52 registered i20 who was driving rash all through Charmadi and at one point after the ghat he kept on blocking us and didnt let us go ahead . He even swerved to the right when I was overtaking . Hadn't I braked , we would gone off the road .We had senior citizens and a toddler with us , so we just stopped for some time to let these idiots continue with their suicide mission .
My experience is similar to yours experience with Swift (2 occasions), Punto (1 occasion), Dezire (1 occasion). Sometime I see drivers getting confused between them-self and rally drivers. Some dislike you having better powered vehicle. They put their life at risk to prove a point! Considering my life is important, I prefer let them go and have their victory rather than race!

I now rarely take this route, always prefer Halady~Agumbe~Thrithahlli~Bangalore route.
Old 27th January 2014, 13:23   #4983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have been driving on this route since 2005 , I have noticed that truck / bus drivers ( even the B7Rs / B9Rs) on this route are usually well behaved .Its the tourist cars /mpvs that are the problem .

A few months back I also had a near miss with this KA-52 registered i20 who was driving rash all through Charmadi and at one point after the ghat he kept on blocking us and didnt let us go ahead . He even swerved to the right when I was overtaking . Hadnt I braked , we would gone off the road .We had senior citizens and a toddler with us , so we just stopped for some time to let these idiots continue with their suicide mission .
Agree with you, I had a similar experience on the Charmadi Ghat recently when I was with my family, where a Wagon-R guy was ahead of me along with a car in front of him. I estimated to overtake both the cars in a straight stretch since they were in a slower pace and the guy in Wagon-R was tail-gating him.

Once I overtook this guy, there was a car in the front coming towards me at almost 100 km/h and I had to cut these two cars and maneuver to the left. Despite my indicator to change the lane to left, this Wagon-R guy was not at all ready to slow down and let me change the lane. Since I had no option left I had to pull my vehicle close to that guy so that he will brake and allow to me to get into the lane.

Thank god it worked, else probably I would have not been writing this. And I was with my family.

I am not sure when people will learn to help each other, at least in some situations like these.
Old 27th January 2014, 14:40   #4984
BHPian

Quote:
Sometime I see drivers getting confused between them-self and rally drivers. Some dislike you having better powered vehicle. They put their life at risk to prove a point! Considering my life is important, I prefer let them go and have their victory rather than race!
Very well said Ragu, even I do the same.
Old 27th January 2014, 14:58   #4985
Distinguished - BHPian

New Speed-breaker update between Hassan and Belur

Two sets of new speedbreakers have come up between Hassan and Belur on the below mentioned locations.

It is quite clear looking at their locations that the intent was to slow down vehicles on 2 steep curves. So, you get these each at the beginning & end of the curve when driving in both directions.

They are well marked but lack a reflector on them and when driving at night it you can miss this too!
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 20:59   #4986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Once I overtook this guy, there was a car in the front coming towards me at almost 100 km/h and I had to cut these two cars and maneuver to the left. Despite my indicator to change the lane to left, this Wagon-R guy was not at all ready to slow down and let me change the lane. Since I had no option left I had to pull my vehicle close to that guy so that he will brake and allow to me to get into the lane.
I might not fully agree with your conclusion. The Wagon R guy tailgating other car indeed was a mistake from him but at the same time you say, you had a straight road where you thought you could overtake two cars at one go and start doing it and suddenly you find another car hurtling towards you from the other side, I think it is also your mistake not to spot that car. If it was straight road you should have spotted it instead of blaming wagon R chap for not giving space when you wanted.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:20   #4987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I might not fully agree with your conclusion. The Wagon R guy tailgating other car indeed was a mistake from him but at the same time you say, you had a straight road where you thought you could overtake two cars at one go and start doing it and suddenly you find another car hurtling towards you from the other side, I think it is also your mistake not to spot that car. If it was straight road you should have spotted it instead of blaming wagon R chap for not giving space when you wanted.
shipnil, sorry I forgot to mention on my post that the straight road had some 100m distance to cover, post which there was a right curve ahead and I agree I should have not estimated to overtake both the cars in one go. Since I was at a good amount of speed I thought I could make it. But I had to cut those cars to take precaution and make sure, both me and the other to be on safer side.

Sometimes you do feel you can make it, but you realise a fraction later that it is not that easy. Probably I was in this dilemma at that point.

Moreover, on this post based on that accident I wanted to make a point we should help each other in avoiding accidents and also take precautions in some unavoidable situations and seriously there is no offence against anybody here.
Old 28th January 2014, 14:39   #4988
Team-BHP Support

Just drove from Bangalore through Shiradi to reach Manipal. Shiradi is fully patched up. Took me exactly 7 hours including 30 minutes for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Between Manipal-Ujire, about 3-4kms around Aladangady is pretty bad.

Between Dharmasthala-Kokkada, about 5-6Kms is often pretty bad.
These roads remain unfixed, in fact have become worse.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:05   #4989
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Mangalore this Saturday. Can anyone please update the status between Gundya and Mani? I usually travel to Mangalore through Sullia and hence its been ages since I went staright at Gundya towards Uppinangady. The patch work between the Kempu Hole project site and Gundya is very rough. If its the same state between Gundya - Mani, I don't mind taking the butter smooth Gundya - Kukke - Panja - Puttur - Mani.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:47   #4990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Driving to Mangalore this Saturday. Can anyone please update the status between Gundya and Mani? I usually travel to Mangalore through Sullia and hence its been ages since I went staright at Gundya towards Uppinangady. The patch work between the Kempu Hole project site and Gundya is very rough. If its the same state between Gundya - Mani, I don't mind taking the butter smooth Gundya - Kukke - Panja - Puttur - Mani.
Gundya - Mani is in pretty good shape, if you discount the few rough patches right after Gundya.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 18:56   #4991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vinay,

The stretch between Gundya and Mani is pretty smooth and trust me you will enjoy the ride. But the stretch till you reach the junction where you take a right to Kokkada-Dharmasthala from Gundya is bad with potholes and they are not visible from a long distance. So be careful till you reach that junction Hopefully this stretch has been patched up by now.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 21:21   #4992
Senior - BHPian

This stretch is in bad shape for last few months, wonder when they will fix it.

Quote:
Vinay,

The stretch between Gundya and Mani is pretty smooth and trust me you will enjoy the ride. But the stretch till you reach the junction where you take a right to Kokkada-Dharmasthala from Gundya is bad with potholes and they are not visible from a long distance. So be careful till you reach that junction Hopefully this stretch has been patched up by now.
Old 1st February 2014, 12:09   #4993
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Mangalore this morning. Started from Bangalore at 5:15 AM and reached Mangalore at 11AM with 20 minutes break at Mayura. The entire stretch is pothole free now.

Shiradi had very sparse traffic with few KSRTC buses, some private cars and some tankers in the opposite direction. Very disciplined driving by everyone. Fortunately there was no Bangalore registered yellow board cabs moving towards Kukke and Dharmasthala who create havoc in the ghats. They just don't know how to drive in ghats. They drive all over the place blocking the normal traffic. Just compare them with the yellow boards belonging to KA 19 and 21 who drive very well in the ghats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Gundya - Mani is in pretty good shape, if you discount the few rough patches right after Gundya.
They are in the process of converting rough patches into smooth ones. Hopefully should be completed in 2-3 weeks.

Quote:
The stretch between Gundya and Mani is pretty smooth and trust me you will enjoy the ride. But the stretch till you reach the junction where you take a right to Kokkada-Dharmasthala from Gundya is bad with potholes and they are not visible from a long distance.
The stretch is a blast to drive. There are no potholes now. The road is rough for around 3-4 KM after Gundya. Its then superb all the way until Uppinangady.
Old 1st February 2014, 15:24   #4994
BHPian

Quote:
Drove to Mangalore this morning. Started from Bangalore at 5:15 AM and reached Mangalore at 11AM with 20 minutes break at Mayura. The entire stretch is pothole free now.
Wow that was pretty fast. 365 Kms in 5 Hours 25 Minutes total driving time from Bangalore to Mangalore. I thought one would slow down from Uppinangadi onwards and more slower after BC road with all those heavy vehicles in peak morning hour traffic. Considering the last 50 Kms slowing down, and some moderate speed at Shiradi Ghats, the Bangalore to Hassan and from there up to Sakleshpur (heard the 4 laning has started by chopping down the trees and all) should have been a blast. What car were you driving?
Old 1st February 2014, 15:44   #4995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

Wow that was pretty fast. 365 Kms in 5 Hours 25 Minutes total driving time from Bangalore to Mangalore. I thought one would slow down from Uppinangadi onwards and more slower after BC road with all those heavy vehicles in peak morning hour traffic. Considering the last 50 Kms slowing down, and some moderate speed at Shiradi Ghats, the Bangalore to Hassan and from there up to Sakleshpur (heard the 4 laning has started by chopping down the trees and all) should have been a blast. What car were you driving?
i20 CRDi. There was very less traffic in the ghat. Gundya - Uppinangady was absolutely empty and Uppinangady - Mangalore was void of any trucks today. Hence achieved the above time. Usually trucks slow you down after Gundya which is a narrow two lane road.

I didn't see any 4 lane work between Hassan and Sakaleshpur. It's still a beautiful stretch lined with trees.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st February 2014 at 15:45.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks