BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Sakleshpur-Belur - 45 mins
Belur-Chikmagalur - 30 mins
Chikmagalur-Kadur - 30 mins
Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga - 60 minutes

Hence, budget ~3 hours for Sakleshpur-Shimoga alone.
The Sakleshpur - Belur road is called Belur - Somvarpet road on G maps. Is that the one I should take?
Old 13th February 2014, 11:57   #5042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
The Sakleshpur - Belur road is called Belur - Somvarpet road on G maps. Is that the one I should take?
Yes that is the one which Parag is referring to. Its quite decent a road. May not be that wide though.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 13:42   #5043
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shiradi Ghat to be repaired with 95 crore budget

Whats new in it, every year big chunk of money is spent to repair this road, and in the past the road repair dint even hold for a month.
Old 14th February 2014, 16:49   #5044
BHPian

Re: Shiradi Ghat to be repaired with 95 crore budget

What I hear is the bus lobby (backed / owned by politicians and well connected businessman) is so strong to stop Railways from operating more trains on this stretch. The same bus lobby is useless in appealing for an all-weather road on this stretch to protect their investments. Or is there another reason for not appealing?
Old 14th February 2014, 19:27   #5045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Sakleshpur-Belur - 45 mins
Belur-Chikmagalur - 30 mins
Chikmagalur-Kadur - 30 mins
Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga - 60 minutes

Hence, budget ~3 hours for Sakleshpur-Shimoga alone.
You can go directly to Tarikere from Chikmagalur. Road used to be in good condition, though I don't know the latest information.
Old 16th February 2014, 10:25   #5046
BHPian

Today's TOI carries a NHAI land acquisition notice for the stretch from KM 235 to KM 328 on NH-48 (Heggadde village of Sakleshpura Taluka to B. Muda village of Bantwala Taluka). Looks like land acquisition is complete and compensation is to be awarded soon.
Old 16th February 2014, 13:02   #5047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Today's TOI carries a NHAI land acquisition notice for the stretch from KM 235 to KM 328 on NH-48 (Heggadde village of Sakleshpura Taluka to B. Muda village of Bantwala Taluka). Looks like land acquisition is complete and compensation is to be awarded soon.
It is initiation of land acquisition. It will be long drawn process as there might be litigation's. Once land acquisition and financial closure, they would start the construction. I am curious, who would grab this section of BOT project.
Old 16th February 2014, 22:58   #5048
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Vitla to Bangalore through Kalladka today. Started from Vitla at 3 PM and reached Bangalore at 10 PM. There was a big queue at both L&T toll booths but there were 4-5 security guards streamlining the incoming vehicles to avoid fake queues and lane cutters. This ensured that we waited for maximum 2-3 minutes at both the toll booths. There were less yellow boards which ensured that the overall traffic was very disciplined.

The rough patches around Gundya are smoothened. There are still few rough patch works near Kempu hole project but is manageable.

There was a 5 KM traffic pileup on Tumkur road elevated highway just before the NICE road exit where there is a deviation for some repair work. I don't know the reason for the pileup but wasted a good 35 minutes crawling in the traffic .

I had to visit KR Pete and Kodlipete en-route to Sullia yesterday and hence took a different route. I took Bangalore - Bellur cross - Nagamangala - KR Pete - Kikkeri - Holenarasipura - Arakalgud - Kodlipete - Shanivarasante - Somawarapete - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullia. Except for the Kikkeri - Holenarasipura and Sampaje - Sullia stretches, the conditions of other stretches puts some of the best National Highways to shame .

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 16th February 2014 at 23:08.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 18:27   #5049
BHPian

Had a harrowing time driving through Sakleshpur last saturday ( 15th February ).

Sri Sakaleshwara temple jathre and procession occupied most of the town roads throughout the day. Starting from Bangalore at 1.30pm, was stuck on the Hemavathi bridge for an hour at 4.30pm and later were diverted to left in front of the temple, through narrow town roads, later joining the highway near Ashritha. That took another one hour.

The worst was after the town - tankers which were lined from entering the town prevented two way traffic for almost 4 kms till Donigal. Uphill Volvos from Mangalore took all the remaining space on the road creating a massive jam. Reached Mangalore at 9.30pm.

Please mark the jathre day in Hindu calendar and avoid Sakleshpur town on that day.

Last edited by roamingrao : 19th February 2014 at 18:33.
roamingrao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 23:59   #5050
BHPian

@Jmaruru As expected, the courts have stayed the acquisition process.
Old 20th February 2014, 04:35   #5051
BHPian

Had been to Mangalore and back over the last weekend.

Decided to do night driving this time around. I was driving to Mangalore after a gap of more than 3 months and was doing the Shiradi after a gap of almost 6 months.

There are new serial humps that have been laid at the beginning and ending of Hassan bypass and also at the intersections. I failed to notice 2 such serial humps and went over them at regular driving speeds.

The stretch from Hassan to Sakleshpur is rough and bumpy at some sections.

There is a curve and a bridge in Shiradi that is still under repair. Rest of the sections are completely patched up.

The toll gate at Brahmarakotlu is operational and are charging Rs. 20 one way and Rs.25 two way. Even KA19 registered vehicles are not exempted. Check the tickets before leaving this toll booth. I was travelling to Puttur and back from Mangalore. I paid them for 2 way ticket and they gave me a 1 way ticket. I realized it after leaving the toll booth and then had to explain this to the person at the toll booth on the opposite side. He then stamped a seal on the ticket to recognize.

Bangalore - Mangalore - Feb 14: started at 1:00 AM and reached at 7:30 AM with a 20 min break. There was heavy fog at some sections of the ghats.

Mangalore - Bangalore - Feb 17: started at 11:15 PM and reached at 6:15 AM with a 20 min break.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 10:03   #5052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
There are new serial humps that have been laid at the beginning and ending of Hassan bypass and also at the intersections. I failed to notice 2 such serial humps and went over them at regular driving speeds.
There are such new humps at Channarayapatna bypass too. I guess they have installed it sometime last week. It wasn't there on February 1st but was there last weekend. If anyone fails to notice these humps, don't panic brake but just glide over it. They are very small. I feel NHAI has done the right thing by installing these humps since I have seen folks doing 120+ at the intersections. Many two wheelers and tractors from nearby villages cross the intersections as though NH doesn't exist .
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 11:39   #5053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
There are such new humps at Channarayapatna bypass too. I guess they have installed it sometime last week. It wasn't there on February 1st but was there last weekend. If anyone fails to notice these humps, don't panic brake but just glide over it. They are very small. I feel NHAI has done the right thing by installing these humps since I have seen folks doing 120+ at the intersections. Many two wheelers and tractors from nearby villages cross the intersections as though NH doesn't exist .
NHAI may have done the right thing now, but it has failed to do the right thing when it was supposed to do it during construction. This is proof of blatant cost cutting by L&T. They should have built overbridges at these junctions instead of putting up humps (of course it is the cheaper option). For comparision, see the Nelamangala-Bellur Cross stretch. All major roads cutting the NH have overbridges passing them. No 4 lane bypasses for Channarayapatna & Hassan, No overbridges for the junctions of the bypasses with main roads. Even a town like Yediyur has an overpass, I'm assuming Hirisave may get an overpass because I remember seeing some construction activity near the entry to town.
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 15:02   #5054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
NHAI may have done the right thing now, but it has failed to do the right thing when it was supposed to do it during construction. This is proof of blatant cost cutting by L&T. They should have built overbridges at these junctions instead of putting up humps ....
When the construction was on, I had once stopped for a team immediately after Hirisave.. It was then that the tea shop fellow told me that L&T had proposed to have overbridges over all possible intersections. However locals were opposed to the idea as the business would be affected and hence had petitioned HD Devegowda. He proudly went on to tell that HDD had asked L&T to defer from any such bridging activity.
Not sure how much to trust, but as mentioned by you, I am also surprised that there are no overpasses over the entire stretch...
ilbkrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 07:48   #5055
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how much HDD would have got for that, or if some one was just being generous there. But on a related note, even the over-passes on NH4 took a long time to complete. For a few years, we had to endure going thru the service roads at these intersections. Some bridges were partly built, others were just marked for building. The general talk then was that the bills submitted by the contracting companies were not cleared & hence work was stuck.

Either way, the lack of bridges / overpasses was a big miss.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks