Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 23:38   #6541
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
1. How is the road condition between Kottigerhara and Kalasa?
Till you are on Kottigehara-Balehonnur road its good. But once on Kalasa SH it deteriorates.

Quote:
2. We will be returning back to Mysore from Sringeri via Chikmaglur, any idea on the road condition between Sringeri and Chikmaglur for the return drive on Sunday
Its decent and has lots of twisties. Sringeri-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikkamagulur. Expect narrow roads as well.

Quote:
3. Google Maps indicate a shorter 42Kms route between Horanadu and Sringeri, any pointers on the road condition.
Take the regular road via Magundi-Balehonnur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 00:46   #6542
Senior - BHPian

Guys ,

Please be careful on the Hassan Bypass

This road as it is , is very dangerous to drive on 24x7. While the road edges are marked with a white line , the over- bridge opposite Rajeev Engineering College has a pavement - like structure which appears without any warning.

Can be tricky with high beams on when someone drives close to the left side. Can break rims , damage tyres and even cause loss of control at high speeds. Bikers will definitely crash
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 12:25   #6543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_blr View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm confused between Shiradi and Charmadi. I'm planning to go from Bangalore to Mangalore on 25th and return on 30th or 31st. Will be travelling with wife and 2 young kids. So cant leave too early, perhaps between 9am and 10am both ways.

Which would be the best route? I'm not looking for speed or save time. Just want a safe (I love my family), smooth drive (no bad roads with potholes or cracks - I love my SX4) with some good restaurants on the way.

Also any good suggestion for a beach resort around Mangalore/Udupi?

Thanks
Nikhil
I suggest you to take Shiradi ghat road. I just returned from Mangalore/Kundapur taking shiradi ghat route on Dec 20th. I left Kundapur around 9 AM and Shiradi ghat road was less crowded and faster to drive (except for few pothole stretches but nothing alarming).

As for as the resort, I suggest summer sands beach resort in Mangalore. I stayed there and its awesome.
Old 21st December 2015, 13:29   #6544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_blr View Post
Hey Guys,

Which would be the best route? I'm not looking for speed or save time.

?

Thanks
Nikhil

Shiradi it is! For me , Charmadi is a strict no during day time especially on long weekends. Just stick to the LHS on the 4 laned stretch till Hassan as there are a few unmarked breaks in the median that have come up and you never which idiot might dart across the road .
Old 21st December 2015, 15:32   #6545
Senior - BHPian

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle7993942.ece

Quote:

Putting an end to doubts on the proposed tunnel bypass road at Shiradi Ghat becoming a reality, Union Minister for Surface Transport, Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari said here on Tuesday that the government will start the project probably before December 2016.

The existing ghat stretch on the highway is 47-km long. However, the proposed tunnel bypass road is expected to be 29 km and provides seamless travel through the ghat stretch. The new project would be executed with financial assistance from the Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA). At present, it takes seven to eight hours to travel from the port city to the capital city. When the tunnel bypass is ready, the travel time is expected to come down by an hour.
Finally some news on much needed tunnel road at Shiradi ghat. I sincerely hope that tunnel road will not damage the delicate western ghat ecosystem and the wilderness.

Last edited by recshenoy : 21st December 2015 at 15:36.
Old 21st December 2015, 17:54   #6546
BHPian

Friends - thanks for all your replies and advice. I am planning to be specifically in Dharmsthala for 10 days and will not need my vehicle while I am there. I was therefore contemplating between driving and an overnight bus ride. I must admit, I was being very optimistic to do this journey, door to door non stop, in just over three hours and therefore completely miss the traffic on ghats. However, reading the comments from all you regulars on this route, it seems unlikely. ( Happy to be corrected, though).

It seems it will then be an override boring bus journey.
Old 21st December 2015, 20:47   #6547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_fanatic View Post
Friends - thanks for all your replies and advice. I am planning to be specifically in Dharmsthala for 10 days and will not need my vehicle while I am there. I was therefore contemplating between driving and an overnight bus ride. I must admit, I was being very optimistic to do this journey, door to door non stop, in just over three hours and therefore completely miss the traffic on ghats. However, reading the comments from all you regulars on this route, it seems unlikely. ( Happy to be corrected, though).

It seems it will then be an override boring bus journey.
If you are staying there for 10 days, I would recommend to take an overnight Volvo. I believe you might be there for the Ayurveda hospital. Anyways it is a very small town with multiple options for local travel.

The traffic can be bad, not just with the number of vehicles, but also with maniacal and suicidal drivers. If you do not have experience in driving in ghats, I suggest you avoid it.
Old 21st December 2015, 21:34   #6548
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am planning a Bangalore > Mangalore > Udupi > Murdeswara > Gokarna > Chitradurga > Bangalore vacation starting on 2nd Jan and returning on 13th Jan.

Need help in finalizing the route as I believe Shiradi Ghat will be closed by 2nd Jan. Will be a Solo driver - driving along with my wife and an infant. Planning to leave Bangalore at 5AM on 2nd Jan. Please suggest what would be a good route that doesnot stress much.

Thanks in advance for the help. Apart from the advice / suggestions - I will be glued onto this thread until 1st Jan to get as much updates as possible.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:50   #6549

Hello,

I am planning a 2-day trip from Bangalore on 25th and 26th this month with the primary intention of covering Kukke Subramanya. Also thinking of optionally covering Belur and Dharmasthala along the way.
The onward route I am thinking of is Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi - Dharmasthala - Kukke. Overnight stay could be either at Dharmasthala or Kukke.
For the return journey I am thinking of Kukke - Gundya - Shiradi - Hassan - Bangalore.

Does my plan make sense, given latest road conditions?
Please share your suggestions on any better routes I could take.

Also please share suggestions for overnight stay. Is it better to stay at Dharmasthala or Kukke?

Thanks,
Prakash.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:23   #6550
Senior - BHPian

A friend is planning a trip from Bangalore to Kollur Temple. He will be leaving with wife and 2 year old kid on Friday morning and reach Kundapur in the evening. They will be staying here. Their plan is to visit the temple next day morning. I need suggestions for the route and other temples that they can visit near Kollur or on the way. Departure to Bangalore on Sunday morning. The car is a Duster.
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:00   #6551
Senior - BHPian

Toll collection on the Mangalore Udupi highway has begun. The toll booth opposite to the NITK is now operational. The drive now costs 45INR for a single entry and 70 INR for a round trip. The speed limit on this part of the highway is 100 but most of the boards are still in wrapper.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 09:59   #6552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
A friend is planning a trip from Bangalore to Kollur Temple. He will be leaving with wife and 2 year old kid on Friday morning and reach Kundapur in the evening. They will be staying here. Their plan is to visit the temple next day morning. I need suggestions for the route and other temples that they can visit near Kollur or on the way. Departure to Bangalore on Sunday morning. The car is a Duster.
You haven't told what time he will start, and what time he expect to be in Kundapura...

Assuming will start at 6am,

Route 1: Bangalore -> Yadiur (7:30) -> Hassan -> Belur -> Chikmangalur -> Sringeri (12:30) (Sharadhambha temple) -> Agumbe -> Someshwara -> Halady -> Kundapura (5:30)

Breakfast between Yadiyur and Chennarayaptna. If he is not planning to have lunch at Sharadha temple @ Sringeri, he should plan having same at Chikmagaluru. He can visit Kundeshwara temple after reaching Kundapura.

On a way to Kollur, you have Kamalashile temple. But around Kundapura you have many temple within 20km. Like Koteshwara (Kotilingeshwara), Annegudde (Mahaganapathi temple), Saligrama (Guru Narasimha), even Udupi (Sri krishna mata) in distance about 36km from Kundapura.

Also while returning intended to visit temples or want to return directly?

What time he intend to start from Kundapura?
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 01:38   #6553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
You haven't told what time he will start, and what time he expect to be in Kundapura...

Assuming will start at 6am,

Route 1: Bangalore -> Yadiur (7:30) -> Hassan -> Belur -> Chikmangalur -> Sringeri (12:30) (Sharadhambha temple) -> Agumbe -> Someshwara -> Halady -> Kundapura (5:30)

Breakfast between Yadiyur and Chennarayaptna. If he is not planning to have lunch at Sharadha temple @ Sringeri, he should plan having same at Chikmagaluru. He can visit Kundeshwara temple after reaching Kundapura.

On a way to Kollur, you have Kamalashile temple. But around Kundapura you have many temple within 20km. Like Koteshwara (Kotilingeshwara), Annegudde (Mahaganapathi temple), Saligrama (Guru Narasimha), even Udupi (Sri krishna mata) in distance about 36km from Kundapura.

Thanks for the inputs - they are a great help.
The start time is as you assumed, but with a 2 year old in tow you never know.
No visits are planned for the return journey. Their plan is to again leave around 6

Last edited by samaspire : 25th December 2015 at 01:39.
Old 26th December 2015, 22:28   #6554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post

Ok. Now they are staying at Murudeshwar for the night and plan to leave around 8 in the morning. He's thinking of taking sagar - Chikmagalur - bangalore.

Any inputs?
Old 29th December 2015, 10:19   #6555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblr View Post
Hello Folks,

I am planning a Bangalore > Mangalore > Udupi > Murdeswara > Gokarna > Chitradurga > Bangalore vacation starting on 2nd Jan and returning on 13th Jan.

Need help in finalizing the route as I believe Shiradi Ghat will be closed by 2nd Jan. Will be a Solo driver - driving along with my wife and an infant. Planning to leave Bangalore at 5AM on 2nd Jan. Please suggest what would be a good route that doesnot stress much.

Thanks in advance for the help. Apart from the advice / suggestions - I will be glued onto this thread until 1st Jan to get as much updates as possible.
Folks - anyone who can help on this route with some advice please?

I have been checking the newspapers daily - there is no word / update yet on the Shiradi Ghat closure on 1st Jan 2016. Anyone who passed through recently, did you see any board in the route saying so?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks