Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-image.jpeg  

hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 15:36   #6572
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Can someone who have recently done, comment about road condition from Thirtahally to Agumbe and all the way to Udupi? I heard that Agumbe ghat is in pretty bad shape. My car (Honda City automatic) has very poor GC. I am concernd.
Thirthahalli to Agumbe... Beginning 4km is not in good shape. After that is good all the way up to Agumbe. Watch out for speed breakers near KSRTC bus stand before turning right towards Udupi.

Agumbe ghats: Cemented section has pretty bad surface, but dollable @ 20km speed. Considering section of road with limited space vs turn you should be going slow. Thar section of road (I think last 7 turns) are bad in turn. But one can make turn as long as take care about other side give a way little (Because you may need to go for big turns, almost encroaching their lane). Someshwara to Hebri Good roads.

Never been towards Udupi after Hebri, so other shall update you!
Old 4th January 2016, 17:25   #6573
BHPian

I was at my native Udupi-Kundapur during X'mas vacation.

Opted regular Shiradi ghat - Dharmasthala - Bajagoli - Karkala bypass - Manipal route for onward journey on Xmas day.

Return journey (on 2nd Jan) opted more scenic, deserted Brahmavar - Hebri - Agumbe - Sringeri bypass - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Aldur - Chickmagalur - Belur - Hassan - Nelamangala route. Sringeri to Chickmagalur stretch has lot of curves, but not much of vehicle movement.

Overall it was leisurely family trip of 8 days covering over 1200 kms. Even for commuting between Udupi - Kundapura etc places opted rural roads, rather regular highway.

Routes like: Athradi-Kukkikatte road; Herga-Parkala-Athradi-Patla-Pernankila road; Perdoor-Kukkikatte-Kolalagiri-Arur-Brahmavara road; Basrur cross-Gulvadi-Mavinakatte-Neralakatte-Nempu road; Basrur-Ottinene-Hunsemakki-Guddattu-Shiriyara-Bidkalkatte-Barkur-Bennekudru bridge-Pandeshwara-Sasthana-Kodi beach road etc.

Few pics.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_2294.jpg

Very narrow Kemmannu-Padukudru concrete road

~o~

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_2724.jpg

Kodi beach road

~o~

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3095.jpg

Kukkikatte bridge

~o~

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3424.jpg

Agumbe ghat

~o~

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_3429.jpg

Tea estate somewhere in between Jayapura and Balehonnur
Nempuguru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 01:00   #6574

Hi,
I will be driving to Mangalore from Bangalore this weekend (2nd week of Jan 2016) with my family for a holiday, need some information and suggestions
1) Is the Shiradi Ghat road still open and will it remain open for the next 2 weeks
2) How are the road conditions if i go via Madikeri and is it a good choice
3) To reach Madikeri can i take the Bangalore-Mangalore highway and then take a left from Channarayapattana, is this better than going via Mysore and how are the road conditions

Any other suggestions are also most welcome

All the information and suggestions will be of great help as i will be traveling with kids and for the first time on this route, i will share my experience as soon as i can, thanks all in advance
Old 5th January 2016, 15:54   #6575
BHPian

Did a 1200 km trip to Shiroor/Bhatkal last week. a BIG thanks to Ampere for helping with routes and road conditions, it helped a lot in self motivation and planning

Following was the route covered
a) Day 1: Bangalore -- Tumkuru -- Chitradurga (NH 4) -- Channagiri -- Bhadrawati -- Shimoga

b) Day 2: Shimoga -- Jog Falls -- Honnavar (NH 206) -- Idagunji/Murudeshwar (NH 17) -- Resort (Shiroor)

NH4 undoubtedly is the best road of all with 6 lane roads and in excellent condition suited average speed of 120 KM/hr and took about 4 hours to reach Chitradurga with 1.5 hours till Neelamangala. NH13 was good but with small villages on the way, speed came down and since its been widened, took a little more time, small diversions but nothing to be worried for & overall quite good.
NH206 till Honnavar was also nicely laid with no potholes whatsoever, traffic was also mild to nil making the drive extremely comfortable. NH17 on the other hand had quite a lot of vehicles esp. trucks which slowed down the time. NH 17 is also getting 4 lane and a lot of work is going on which should complete in few years time.

Return:
Day 1 : Shiroor (Resort) -- Mookambika Temple (Kollur) -- Nittur -- Hosanagara -- Ripponpet -- Shimoga -- Arsikere -- CR Patna -- Neelmangala -- Yeshwantpur

Ghats section from Kollur, Nittur and ahead were fantastic. No potholes again and many places had cement roads. Traffic was next to nill and that made the drive quite quick. Shimoga to Arsikere was also good few patches had patch work but again nothing to complain or worry about except unscientific speed breakers without any markings/boards causing jump overs.
Took almost 7 hours of driving time on way back home from Shiroor to Yeshwantpur.

Realised that roads are way better than Bangalore city and zero worry for sedan drivers.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:25   #6576
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Kaushik View Post
I will be driving to Mangalore from Bangalore this weekend (2nd week of Jan 2016) with my family for a holiday, need some information and suggestions
If you're headed to Mangalore and do not plan to visit/stop over at Madikeri, simply take Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Shiradi ghat to reach Mangalore.
Shiradi closure date has not yet been announced. It will not happen without proper notice say 3-5 days in advance at least.
You can go via Mysore-Madikeri or Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri to reach the Sullia-Mangalore road but it will not be worth it now when Shiradi is still open. Also, Madikeri-Somwarpet goes through curvy roads and may not be a great option with kids on board.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 07:52   #6577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Ghats section from Kollur, Nittur and ahead were fantastic. No potholes again and many places had cement roads. Traffic was next to nill and that made the drive quite quick.
This section is amazing. Roads a are a bit narrow, but then since they dont form the part of an arterial road, its OK. The only bad section is actually further down from Nagar towards Kundapur (which you did not have take since you were coming via Nittur.) They were repairing the Hulikal ghat section last year. Dont know if that work got completed.

Here is a picture I posted last year of the Ayyanur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara section. (Cross linking the same image)

Old 9th January 2016, 04:48   #6578
BANNED

Planning your trip across the ghats and in general based on traffic.

A Japanese company did a survey for constructing a Shiradi bypass road. One of the outputs of that was a hour by hour analysis of the type of traffic on that route.

Here are some excerpts:
The traffic peaked at 10:00 hours in the morning and 17:00 hours in the evening.

For non team-bhp guys 10:00 means the small hand is on 10 and big hand is on 12.

There was an additional peak at 15:00 hours.

Approx. 70% of buses traveled in this section during the night and early morning hours (between 19:00 hours and 7:00 hours) in both directions.

While the volume of the Mangalore-bound traffic is larger in the morning, the volume of Bangalore-bound traffic is larger in the afternoon.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are the best days to travel as they have the least traffic on those days.

Strangely, the proportion of empty trucks is nearly equal to the loaded ones while travelling from Blr to Mlr.

In case you're wondering where they'll start and end. It'll be from Maranalli (15 km after Manjarabad Fort) to Gundiya. A total of 22 km.
Attached Images

Last edited by hangover : 9th January 2016 at 05:07.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 11:02   #6579
BHPian

Friends, Planning a drive from Bangalore to Vandse(Near Kollur) this weekend. Which is the best route apart from Shiradi?(Preference is for the route with less traffic and the least distance)
Old 14th January 2016, 14:06   #6580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Friends, Planning a drive from Bangalore to Vandse(Near Kollur) this weekend. Which is the best route apart from Shiradi?(Preference is for the route with less traffic and the least distance)
Ampere's route, Bangalore -> CR patna -> Arsikere -> Tarikere -> Umbilbail -> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Someshawara -> Halady -> Vandse. Should be good all the way. Traffic is only between Arsikere to Tarikere, afterwards you will hardly find any vehicles.

Least distance as per goolgle is via Belur -> Chikmagluru -> Sringeri -> Agumbe... But I don't think its less traffic. I used to always take Belur route (to goto my home town Kundapura), but now I always take Ampre's route.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 14th January 2016 at 14:07.
Old 20th January 2016, 13:55   #6581
BHPian

Is the Shiradi ghat road closed now? Any updates on the same?
Old 20th January 2016, 14:03   #6582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
I traveled from Udupi to Bangalore on monday night , the ghat road was open for traffic.
Old 20th January 2016, 14:27   #6583
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
Remember reading somewhere that the closure of Shiradi ghat road is in 2 months so March is probably when it will close
Old 21st January 2016, 20:52   #6584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Route update:

Traveled to Udupi on 22/12 and back on 27/12.

Onward: Banashankari 1st stage - ORR - Gurguntepalya - Tumkur road - Nelamangala turnoff - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Gundya - BC road - Mangalore bypass - Surathkal - Udupi
Total kms covered: 418 kms
Planning similar drive soon. Two qs:
1) Google maps is showing default route as take a right turn at Uppinangadi (SH 118) - Bajegoli - Belman - Udupi. Any suggestions on this option ?

2) If we go via the NH48 till Mangaluru, and then Surathkal - Udupi, do we get a nice beach view during the drive ? I would prefer the route for that, and using a NH, better food options etc.

Thanks!
Old 21st January 2016, 21:56   #6585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
Planning similar drive soon. Two qs:
1) Google maps is showing default route as take a right turn at Uppinangadi (SH 118) - Bajegoli - Belman - Udupi. Any suggestions on this option ?

2) If we go via the NH48 till Mangaluru, and then Surathkal - Udupi, do we get a nice beach view during the drive ? I would prefer the route for that, and using a NH, better food options etc.

Thanks!
The first route passes through the interior. It is a well paved two lane road, scenic throughout. It has lot of curves and local commercial vehicles are to be looked for as they drive rashly. Time taken is almost same as through Mangalore. This is my preferred route anyday.

The second option does not have beach views, but beaches are accessible with a bit of going off the highway. Super smooth roads at a cost of 45INR toll at NITK. Again local vehicles are a big headache on this road.

Food options on the first route is limited to small family run joints until Manipal. You get good local food. For the second route, Mangalore or Bitoo da dhabha just after Mulky is the option you can opt for.
unk9ja is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks