Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2019, 13:45   #8071
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The restaurant 'Shiva Sagar' is closed. On 9th, on my way to M'lore the shutters were down.
It was closed when I drove last Thursday as well.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-vlcsnap2019041813h50m28s828.png

Along with this Shree Rathnam is now "SURUCHI" and I guess the proximity of Dhruvataare just 500 meters before this one hurt his business and he shut shop/sold it.

Quote:
Any other decent 'Tatte Idly' options around this place? This was ideal on my way to M'lore for Breakfast options and on return for Light Lunch.
As for me, I still prefer driving all the way inside Kunigal next to the Circle Police Station to savour one of the better Thatte Idlies. He exists since more than 2 decades and its the same guy who partnered with Shiv Sagar earlier and moved to the main highway but settled back in town later and Shiv Sagar started to provide inconsistent experiences to many of us.

I don't recommend this place only because it is inside town, it has no provision for rest rooms although owner readily hands over keys to one if ladies and kids are in tow.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th April 2019 at 13:54.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 16:41   #8072

Recently I drove down from Bangalore to Kundapur via the scenic Kudremukh road, I must say that the roads beyond Kudremukh are absolutely beautiful. It was wonderful driving through the twisty mountain roads and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

If anyone is driving towards Udupi / Kundapur and has time to spare, I would suggest you drive through Kudremukh.
kushal.b110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 18:47   #8073

Hi

We are planning to visit Dharmasthala next week. We will start from Dharmasthala in the morning, visit Kukke and then bisle ghat - - > Sakleshpur - - > bangalore

Is Bisle ghat route good to take.? Or is it better to come back to Gundya and then Sakleshpur?

Thanks 😊
Old 5th May 2019, 20:07   #8074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhi_22 View Post
Is Bisle ghat route good to take.? Or is it better to come back to Gundya and then Sakleshpur?

Thanks ��
Bisile is now in decent shape except a patch with no roads and stones and soil that should be around 4 to 6 kms.

Low GC cars may demand cautious driving in this section. However, suggesting Bisile also depends on the ask . Taking alternate route is one thing. Returning back and narrating horror stories on now lonely or narrow it was is another.

So if you don't mind a bit of an adventure, take it.

Only 2 weeks before Hemant.Anand took this route in his Polo. Have asked him to post his views too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th May 2019 at 20:31.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 20:46   #8075
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks 😊
Like parag bhai mentioned taking Bisle route as against the conventional Gundya route is an adventure in itself. I will reserve my comments on the current situation, let Hemanth get us updated with the latest status. Having said, one should avoid driving early morning or late evening drives especially post 6pm in this stretch as it is infested by Elephants. On a broad day light one can comfortably drive enjoying the nature`s serenity.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 21:09   #8076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are planning to visit Dharmasthala next week. We will start from Dharmasthala in the morning, visit Kukke and then bisle ghat - - > Sakleshpur - - > bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Only 2 weeks before Hemant.Anand took this route in his Polo. Have asked him to post his views too.
After sending my family members to experience the train journey from Sakleshpura to Kukke, I drove in my Polo to pick them up at Subrahmanya Road station. After lunch and a visit to the temple we started back by 5pm on the same route. We were in no hurry and hence with 2-3 stops it took 2 hours both ways.

The first 20kms from Kukke to somewhere near the Chamundeshwari temple is good for any car. From there till the Bisle Ghat view point it's around 15kms. Around 10kms of this stretch doesn't have the top tarmac layer and at some places, the effect of last year's rains can still be seen. A couple of bridges are being constructed. But there is nothing to worry I'd say. Just a little care should be exercised however. The last 45kms stretch from the Bisle view point till Munjarabad fort entrance is again wonderful.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20190419_14251302.jpeg
The rough road

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20190424_185409_347.jpg
The smooth road

Since you'll be driving on this stretch in broad daylight, it's ok to take this route I'd say.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th May 2019 at 21:21.
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 14:42   #8077

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Since you'll be driving on this stretch in broad daylight, it's ok to take this route I'd say.

Looks promising. We will take this route. I will happily bear 10-15 kms of a bad road for the next 45 odd kms
Old 12th May 2019, 07:18   #8078
BHPian

Quote:
Looks promising. We will take this route. I will happily bear 10-15 kms of a bad road for the next 45 odd kms
I would suggest heading back to gundya simply in the interest of time saved....from gundya it will take you 45 mins to an hour to Dharmathala. Good roads all through.
Old 14th May 2019, 13:49   #8079

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
However, suggesting Bisile also depends on the ask . Taking alternate route is one thing. Returning back and narrating horror stories on now lonely or narrow it was is another.
It was super fun. We hardly saw 5-7 cars/bikes and one ksrtc bus on the route. I can't forget my feelings on the road though I am back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Like parag bhai mentioned taking Bisle route as against the conventional Gundya route is an adventure in itself.
It truly was an adventure - like a rollercoaster ride -you are scared to do it, yet you do it for the thrill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The last 45kms stretch from the Bisle view point till Munjarabad fort entrance is again wonderful.

Yes, the roads from Bisle to Manzarabad were real good for a drive. They were pretty empty too so we zoomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
I would suggest heading back to gundya simply in the interest of time saved....from gundya it will take you 45 mins to an hour to Dharmathala. Good roads all through.
I saw this a bit late but thank you our route was Dharmasthala --> Kukke --> Bisle --> Sakleshpur.
Old 17th May 2019, 17:28   #8080
BHPian

Watched this film's (ಉಪ್ಪಿನ ಕಾಗದ) trailer and songs. I was blown away by the lyrics, music, photography and the shoot location. I searched quite a while trying to know where the film was shot. Looks like it is "Male Hittalu" as per this link and located near Karkala / Udupi. Does anyone know about this place and the route? Searched Google maps and not able to locate there either.

AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:27   #8081

Did a Bangalore - Udupi trip, started slow, empty roads. 4-laning in progress on the way to Hassan. Except for the Hassan-Sakleshpur-till Shiradi stretch, roads were good throughout. This was the first time I took Shiradi in a long time, and was amazed at how better it has become. Still a lot of road work while getting down the ghats, but easy to ride.

Saw this hotel called Suruchi NXT on the way back, totally avoid it - very average food. After Nelamangala (from Bangalore), stopped at Annapurna, very good food, recommend it.
Old 22nd May 2019, 15:57   #8082
BHPian

Hi everyone, a week before Aug 15, we have a tentative plan to drive to Sringeri and then to Udupi via Agumbe. But Maps is still not suggesting a route through the Agumbe ghat.

Any info on when the roadwork would be completed? Appreciate a lot.
Old 22nd May 2019, 17:04   #8083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Hi everyone, a week before Aug 15, we have a tentative plan to drive to Sringeri and then to Udupi via Agumbe. But Maps is still not suggesting a route through the Agumbe ghat.

Any info on when the roadwork would be completed? Appreciate a lot.

Agumbe has opened to the light vehicles from May 15th. The decision to allow heavy vehiles will be taken at a later date. You can take Agumbe route to Udupi or you can also drive through Kudremukha if you are good for a scenic drive.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 17:23   #8084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Agumbe has opened to the light vehicles from May 15th. The decision to allow heavy vehiles will be taken at a later date. You can take Agumbe route to Udupi or you can also drive through Kudremukha if you are good for a scenic drive.
Thanks a lot buddy. Actually planning both - one towards Udupi and the other on our way back to Bangalore.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:11   #8085
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Byndoor-Udupi-Bangalore run last week.

Initially planned to run through Hiriyur-Thirthahalli-Ampar to Byndoor, but an incident at home changed the plans last minute and we took the Shiradi route. Started at 0530 and reached Byndoor at 1700 after numerous stops enroute.

The tarmac between the last 2 tolls on the Hassan highway is being relaid and now is much better than earlier. The concern is the how the Hassan Sakleshpura holds up after the rains. The work on this stretch is completely stopped while the work is at a snail pace after the Dharmasthala turnoff. Looks like it may take another couple of years before the work is completed.

The roads till Kundapura is breeze to drive. The flyover work in Shastry circle is at a snail pace and badly hampers the movement of vehicles. Post Kundapura, the roads are fine but the vehicle movement is restricted to one side of the dual carriageway. Locals drive on both sides and in both directions which confuses a lot.

On return we took the Karkala-Dharmasthala route. Work is in full swing inside Udupi till Manipal for white topping. Post Manipal, the roads are being widened at some places and road surface is not that great. Post Karkala, the roads are good and one can achieve decent speeds. We started from Udupi at 0615 and reached Bangalore at 1600.

A stray kitten which found shelter in our home was bit badly by a dog the evening before we started and this changed the onward plan as we decided to take it with us. We went to my sister's home at Udupi to pick a cage for the kitten. Breakfast was at Swati near Kunigal and lunch was at Suraj Grand in Surathkal. During return breakfast was at Shenoy's restaurant in Guruvayankere which was not great and lunch was at Mayura near Bellur cross.
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed