Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 17:48   #7996
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
In light of the above and keeping in mind your objective of reaching Udupi (only) by 10AM by leaving home at 1AM, I NOW suggest you stick to Shiradi. It will be nearer to dawn by the time you reach the ghats. Therefore, no worries.
Many thanks for all the research and the help!! Really am grateful.
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 11:31   #7997
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
Folks, planning to drive to Heggodu (Neenasam village which is after Shivamogga) from Bangalore starting tomorrow at 6 AM.

Which would be the best route?

Based on the suggestion in this thread, while going to Heggodu, I took the route Bangalore->Tumkur->Hiriyur->Ajjampur->Bhadravati->Shivamogga-> Heggodu route. Started at 6.30 AM from Bangalore and was in Heggodu by 1.30 PM with break for breakfast. The route from Hiriyur to Ajjampur is peaceful with hardly any traffic however there are some really bad patches in between. Since I was driving in Endeavour it did not matter but Sedans may suffer.

While coming back, we took a different route since there are no lunch options in the above route after Shivamogga until Hiriyur. We took Heggodu-> Shivamogga->Arasikere->Turuvekere->Yediyur->Bangalore route. We had lunch in "Pushkar" which is bang on the highway in Arasikere and it was good. Then, instead of taking Tiptur route, I took Turuvekere road. The road up to Turuvekere is in good shape with hardly any traffic and could connect to Yediyur route instead of Tumkur route. I think this is one of the better option in this route.
Acelerar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 18:52   #7998
BHPian

Have been doing the mangalore circuit for the past few days and just returned back to Bangalore yesterday night. Shiradi is an absolute bliss to drive and a far cry what it was earlier. Traffic was sparse and the usual choke points being sakeslshpur town. Went driving interior in the DK and found that the roads are pretty good overall with concrete being used extensively.
Old 4th January 2019, 05:53   #7999
Senior - BHPian

Any latest update on Bisle Ghat road?
Planning to take this road from Kukke to Bangalore this Saturday.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:36   #8000
BHPian

Re: Kumta Railway Station to Gokarna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Is the Kumta Railway Station closer to Bus Stand? Usually, these railway stations are little away from the town. So am concerned at around 1AM, whether I can get a safe ride to Gokarna.
I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but Kumta railway station is very close to the bus stand. They may be about 100 mtrs distance between them on opposite sides of the National Highway
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:28   #8001
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to leave to Udupi from Bangalore tomorrow early morning. CAn anyone please shed light upon road condition of below stretch?

Beluru > Mudigere > Kottigehara > Charmadi > Bajagoli

I heard in one of the previous posts that Belur to Mudigere is in bad shape. Is it still the same? A quick suggestion would be really helpful.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:38   #8002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
I heard in one of the previous posts that Belur to Mudigere is in bad shape. Is it still the same? A quick suggestion would be really helpful.
In that case you have the following alternate options to reach Mudigere:

- Hassan - Sakaleshpur - Anemahal - Hanbal - Jannapura - Mudigere
- Hassan - Belur - Gendehalli - Nandipura - Mudigere (LINK)

The road via Gendehalli is in good shape and a less taken alternative but it is a good option with lesser traffic too. The only disadvantage is that by taking this you will have to enter Mudigere town from one side, pass the Bus-stand and reach Mudigere handpost that you would reach if you would take direct route. It may add just 10m overall to your entire journey.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:51   #8003
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to leave to Udupi from Bangalore tomorrow early morning. CAn anyone please shed light upon road condition of below stretch?

Beluru > Mudigere > Kottigehara > Charmadi > Bajagoli
Why not Hassan-Sakaleshapura-Shiradi route?
I went through this route (in both directions) during Christmas week and the route was fine, except for a small stretch around/after Sakaleshapura.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 16:03   #8004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The road via Gendehalli is in good shape and a less taken alternative but it is a good option with lesser traffic too. The only disadvantage is that by taking this you will have to enter Mudigere town from one side, pass the Bus-stand and reach Mudigere handpost that you would reach if you would take direct route. It may add just 10m overall to your entire journey.
This looks more promising. Anyhow, I just saw some negative news on the road condition of ghat stretch here. Thanks a lot for the suggestion .

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Why not Hassan-Sakaleshapura-Shiradi route?
I prefer Shiradi ghat to the least. It is always a constant tussle on the road from Sakaleshpura to BC Road given it is the most known route to coastal from Bengaluru (Strictly personal opinion). When it is visiting hometown I look for the more relaxing one . Thanks for the suggestion though.
ThilakNex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 16:17   #8005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This looks more promising. Anyhow, I just saw some negative news on the road condition of ghat stretch here. Thanks a lot for the suggestion .
Skip Charmadi and reach via Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala then .

Since I know you drive regularly that side, narrow or curvy roads shouldn't come as a surprise to you anyway and I know you have done Kuduremukha quite a few times.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:35   #8006
BHPian

Quote:
Skip Charmadi and reach via Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala then .

Since I know you drive regularly that side, narrow or curvy roads shouldn't come as a surprise to you anyway and I know you have done Kuduremukha quite a few times.
Drove Beluru > Chikmagaluru > Balehonnuru > Balehole (to avoid Kottigehara) > Kalasa > Kudremukha > Karkala just 2 weeks back so was keen to try a different one this time. Are there any less travelled routes? Narrow roads and drive through the villages is not at all an issue
Old 11th January 2019, 16:42   #8007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any less travelled routes? Narrow roads and drive through the villages is not at all an issue
Bisile is one I can think of. Nexon can easily manage the non existent roads there. I did come across the fact that it was open to public some time last year, not sure now. Also, this is not feasible if Udupi is the destination unless you are OK to spend time and have a leisurely drive.

The only other choice would be to do Balehonnur - Sringeri or Teerthalli - Hulikal. Agumbe is too common anyway. The Sringeri option again will overlap for the last 60 Odd kms with the Kalasa - Kuduremukha Route.
Old 11th January 2019, 18:25   #8008
BHPian

Quote:
Bisile is one I can think of. Nexon can easily manage the non existent roads there. I did come across the fact that it was open to public some time last year, not sure now. Also, this is not feasible if Udupi is the destination unless you are OK to spend time and have a leisurely drive.

The only other choice would be to do Balehonnur - Sringeri or Teerthalli - Hulikal. Agumbe is too common anyway. The Sringeri option again will overlap for the last 60 Odd kms with the Kalasa - Kuduremukha Route.
Bisle option is very good but news about the closure of the ghat and elephant attack is heard every now and then.
Probably will settle with Hulikal as suggested by you. Thanks again for all the information.
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 20:12   #8009
BHPian

SHELL is opening new outlet in Mangalore (outskirts;near Jaguar showroom at Kannur).
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 20:09   #8010
BHPian

For travel enthus interested in visiting coastal this summer

Most Viewed