Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 06:14   #7891
Senior - BHPian

Shiradi is the fastest possible route. I drove last week and saw Ksrtc busses too. They are not allowing trucks still so the stretch from Hassan till BC road is absolute bliss with very less traffic
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 21:07   #7892
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hello, I am going to drive to Murdeshwar in November, the Diwali week. Request expert advice on the route to take. My desire is to be on the fastest route that has good quality tarmac. Thank you in advance.
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:00   #7893
BHPian

Yesterday, there was a jam between Ghat section and Sakleshpura town. All traffic was diverted through interiors of Maranahalli. Anybody knows what happened?
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:30   #7894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Yesterday, there was a jam between Ghat section and Sakleshpura town. All traffic was diverted through interiors of Maranahalli. Anybody knows what happened?
I traveled from Udupi to Hassan on Oct 20, there were couple of brief traffic jams around Sakleshpur. The road surface were damaged and only one vehicle was allowed to enter at a time. Traffic was controlled well though we had some cars from Bangalore who tried their antics of getting into the traffic from whichever way they could. Yesterday being the homecoming day for lot of people could have aggravated the situation.
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:19   #7895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
I traveled from Udupi to Hassan on Oct 20, there were couple of brief traffic jams around Sakleshpur. The road surface were damaged and only one vehicle was allowed to enter at a time
I took Shiradi yesterday between 6 - 7 AM while coming to Bangalore from Kundapura and did not notice anything. Traffic was sparse on either directions.

Except for the concrete part of the Ghats, roads between Sakaleshpur and BC Road have deteriorated since my last travel in mid September. Small to medium sized potholes have surfaced in this stretch along with broken rough patches at many places. Though nothing alarming to damage the vehicle, it will definitely slow the pace.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 21:06   #7896
BHPian

Hi all,

I am planning a drive to Udupi from Bangalore on the 22nd of December. It will be me and my wife.

I would like to reach Udupi as early as possible and utilize the day as much as possible.

I am planning to take the Hassan, Chickamanguluru , Singeri, Begar, Agumbe route as I see it is a nicer road and crossing Chickamanguluru wold be desired.

As I am not sure of the safety aspects post Hassan (am OK till there), can you please help me with the time of Departure from Bangalore? With a 8-10 hour drive, would 2 AM be ok? That way I can reach Udupi by 12 PM latest.

Note: I did a Bangalore-Goa recently and started at 12 AM - It was cool.

Return, am planning via Sakleshpur route.

Thanks!
Saurab C

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 25th October 2018 at 21:07.
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 09:22   #7897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Hi all,
I am planning a drive to Udupi from Bangalore on the 22nd of December. It will be me and my wife.

As I am not sure of the safety aspects post Hassan (am OK till there), can you please help me with the time of Departure from Bangalore? With a 8-10 hour drive, would 2 AM be ok? That way I can reach Udupi by 12 PM latest.
I would suggest you to start at 3 AM from Bangalore, you can reach Hassan by 5:30 AM, then Sakaleshpura around 6:30 AM, cross Shiradi and Gundya by 9:15AM. The break point can be at Sakaleshpura. The road is absolutely safe for a early morning drive.

Last edited by deehunk : 26th October 2018 at 09:23.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:25   #7898
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I would like to reach Udupi as early as possible and utilize the day as much as possible.

I am planning to take the Hassan, Chickamanguluru , Singeri, Begar, Agumbe route as I see it is a nicer road and crossing Chickamanguluru wold be desired.

Thanks!
Saurab C
I take this route regularly to reach Kundapur. I start at 04:30~05:15 hrs, reach Kundapur at 12:30~14:00hrs! Any earlier would make having breakfast a difficult option.

My house is near to Bannergatta Nice road exit, that helps a lot. By 5:30 I would be already in BM highway near Nelamangala. Since most decent regular restaurants (Swathi delicacy, Adigas or Mayura) wouldn't open this hour I would drive to Chikmagaluru for breakfast. Around 8:45 I would reach Chikmagaluru, would take BF at Town Canteen near Court.
Resume journey by 9:15, get little traffic till Aldur (Schools timing). Remember this route has more twist and turn than Shiradi or Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe route, driving fast won't be possible. If you need minimize the time, you should cover Bangalore ~ Hassan distance faster.

Starting at 2 AM means, you wouldn't get any good restaurants, however you will reach Udupi by 10:30~11:15. As far as safety issue post Hassan, I take return journey at similar time and reach Hassan at 9. I haven't faced any issue in ghats during night time. Should you have breakdown, there at occasional commercial vehicles between Agumbe/Sringeri and Sringeri ~ Hornad.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 26th October 2018 at 10:32. Reason: Answered safety aspect
Old 26th October 2018, 10:47   #7899
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
Saurab C
Leave Bangalore around 3 am, you can reach Udupi by 12 pm including breakfast and pit stops!

Last Friday (19th Oct), I drove down to Udupi via Sakleshpur, left Bangalore at 5am, reached Udupi at 1.30 pm.
roshanjathanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 11:21   #7900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanjathanna View Post
Leave Bangalore around 3 am, you can reach Udupi by 12 pm including breakfast and pit stops!

Last Friday (19th Oct), I drove down to Udupi via Sakleshpur, left Bangalore at 5am, reached Udupi at 1.30 pm.
Thanks a lot!
Assuming the route is safe to drive with family. Shall do as said.

Cheers.
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 13:50   #7901
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming the route is safe to drive with family.
Cheers.
Don't worry, there are no naxals or terrorists .

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2018 at 07:37. Reason: Typo, punctuation
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 13:58   #7902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Don't worry, there are no naxals or terrorists .
LOL.....though that exactly was not on my mind, what you said has put all questions to rest.

Thanks.
Shall check this area a week before leaving for latest route statuses and update when I do the drive.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2018 at 07:37. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 28th October 2018, 22:57   #7903
BHPian

I am planning to travel from Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya 1st Nov and reading from the previous post it seems Shiradi is the best bet . I would also like to continue to Madikeri post temple visit and return back from Mysore side. Anybody knows post rains and havoc last month how is this route from Subramanya to Madikeri ? I am unable to get any details whether its motorable? Any body done this route in the last month ?

Last edited by Kiyon : 28th October 2018 at 23:06.
Old 29th October 2018, 11:22   #7904
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyon View Post
I am planning to travel from Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya 1st Nov and reading from the previous post it seems Shiradi is the best bet . I would also like to continue to Madikeri post temple visit and return back from Mysore side.
I don't know the current conditions of Subramanya-Sullia-Madikeri, but your choice and order of visits makes it perfect for a complete circle on the map for your round trip - if you take Bangalore-Hassan-Shiradi-Subramanya-Sullia-Madikeri-Hunsur-Mysore-Bangalore

Map Link
Old 29th October 2018, 13:43   #7905
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Mangalore
Is it throughout 4/6 lane now, except the ghat section?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks